Sign in to follow this  
Brandnew11980

Why do you lose items while swimming?!

I was just on Skalisty Island, and while swimming back to the mainland I lost 95% of my inventory. Not just my pack either. Everything I had in my gear, the L85, etc. All in all I lost:

1x Coyote pack

2x NVG's

1x Rangefinder

2x Ghillie suit

1x L85

1x M4A3 CCO

10x Stanag mags

3x Morphine

1x Camping tent

3x Bandages

1x Antibiotics

2x Painkillers

And probably more that I can't remember off the top of my head.

I was just swimming with my NVG's on and all of a sudden my screen just went black... just like that my pack was gone, my L85 is gone, everything I had in my gear is just GONE. Now I'm running around with 3 bandages, a G17 with 4 mags, and everything I had on my tool belt. At least I have that.

Is there some kind of roleplay element to it like you need to drop weight so you don't drown or is it just a seriously annoying glitch?

It's a server side setting, most servers have it disabled so you don't lose items, always test before you go swimming on a new server.

Edited by smasht_AU

It's a server side setting, most servers have it disabled so you don't lose items, always test before you go swimming on a new server.

So you're telling me that servers can somehow enable you to lose items when you swim? Am I understanding that correctly?

So you're telling me that servers can somehow enable you to lose items when you swim? Am I understanding that correctly?

Yep

Yea some server admins are morons for having that enabled.

...or have tents on Skalisty Island. Guess I know who's tent it was now. Wish I made a mental note of the server. I'm 99% certain it was the one I think but I don't want to condemn the wrong one.

ItemDrop enabled/disabled.

Unless you're trained combat swimmer, basic water survival means getting rid of gear weighing you down to avoid drowning.

The server I play on has disabled ItemDrop and it's pretty nice, being able to swim to Skalisty without worrying, however staying afloat with a backpack, a handgun, an anti-material rifle and Squad Automatic Weapon, 800 rounds of 5.56, that's a little much to ask for even for the sealest of SEALS.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 2

Unless you're trained combat swimmer, basic water survival means getting rid of gear weighing you down to avoid drowning.

The server I play on has disabled ItemDrop and it's pretty nice, being able to swim to Skalisty without worrying, however staying afloat with a backpack, a handgun, an anti-material rifle and Squad Automatic Weapon, 800 rounds of 5.56, that's a little much to ask for even for the sealest of SEALS.

I guess I'll role play it like I narrowly escaped making it across. Wish I at least didn't lose the L85 though. :(

I guess I'll role play it like I narrowly escaped making it across. Wish I at least didn't lose the L85 though. :(

How to test whether ItemDrop is enabled or not.

Drop everything, but your toolbelt and gunbelt on the beach, also remember to drop items in your binocular slots.

Place a singly expendable item(can of food) in your main inventory and swim for roughtly 30-40 seconds, 23 swimming strokes. If you don't lose the can, you can safely assume ItemDrop has been disabled on the server.

not really you take your tent and wrap it around the backpack so it floats, works like a charm if done correctly else your fucked.

This is why people should poke around on the wiki and read the known issues list before trying to play something like this. RTFM.

not really you take your tent and wrap it around the backpack so it floats, works like a charm if done correctly else your fucked.

Two different things, both basic infantery stuff.

One is how not to drown, the other is river crossing.

Two different things, both basic infantery stuff.

One is how not to drown, the other is river crossing.

most elite units use that method, Even recon units use it. avoiding Water is The first option since it takes a lot of time. My basis training was with a recon unit.

I trained both in regular airforce boot.

You need a bivouac and time to pack your gear, to cross deep waters safely. But you also train what to do, if you find yourself falling into deep water with all your gear on. At that point, not downing, becomes a higher priority than your gear. I figure ItemDrop 1 simulates basic water survival. While Itemdrop 0 simulates river crossing.

I trained both in regular airforce boot.

You need a bivouac and time to pack your gear, to cross deep waters safely. But you also train what to do, if you find yourself falling into deep water with all your gear on. At that point, not downing, becomes a higher priority than your gear. I figure ItemDrop 1 simulates basic water survival. While Itemdrop 0 simulates river crossing.

yeah takes alot of time. Even a wet uniform with pouch is quite heavy without the backpack. Was supposed to go to Afghanistan but got a bad knee injuri because we didnt get any kneepads during my training :/.

Edited by SnakeDoctor

Place a singly expendable item(can of food) in your main inventory and swim for roughtly 30-40 seconds, 23 swimming strokes. If you don't lose the can, you can safely assume ItemDrop has been disabled on the server.

This is a good test, I always put all my gear on the shore or with a friend if I go anywhere in water. Also I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it, but I believe that the deeper you go the more chance of it happening. Also the gear does actually end up at the sea floor, so in shallow water you can even reach it to get it back. (if you can see it)