chiefwiggum

[more features] vs. [less hackers and bugs]

[MORE FEATURES] vs. [LESS HACKERS AND BUGS]

Hi guys,

i write this post after eight weeks of excessive dayz-gaming but at this time a point is reached at which i just dont want to play this game any more.

First I want to comment the good sides of dayz, as in this community you will immediately called "a hater" when you lose a bad word to dayz.

By chance I discovered dayz eight weeks ago in an online article by a computer magazine. There was talk of a kind of zombie mod for the game Arma II. As I create mods for The Elder Scrolls-series by Bethesda Softworks, I'm not fundamentally opposed to modifications and took a look on it. Before purchasing Arma II: CO I informed myself intensely about the gameplay and what I got to see in numerous YouTube videos and online articles was simply terrific. It was exactly that kind of stuff zombie fans had always expected. A real zombie apocalypse which could not be more realistic. In addition to the basic needs of your character also the defense factor played a major role. In a world without many goods and running zombies everywhere, everyone is fighting for survival and this concept completely worked out. There has never been a game that made ​​me this kind of paranoid. This moment, this one little moment you stand in front of an unknown guy you and suddenly think "Should I shoot? Will he shoot?" And just before you shoot, he says: "I am friendly, do not shoot!" and you're just happy to find a guy you could do some action with in cherno or elektro. Me and my colleagues experienced many wonderful moments that we will never forget. We laughed a lot and the joy about this game, which have been created by rocket, was huge. Unfortunately most of my friends thinking the same way I do and that's why I wrote this post.

Well, now the reason for my bad mood. You all know it, you spent hours of finding a car and some more to fix it. Once you have done it you just felt great of having a nice car which helps you to reach cities and towns more quickly. You built up a small camp and protected your car as if it were your own child. All would be nice....if there hadnt been a hacker who ported all the vehicles to himself. The first few times you think "What the fuck?" and continue playing. But at some point you see it all differently. There's not a damn day you do not meet at least one hacker. I mean, it is not normal when every third sniper on the rooftop in Cherno got a AS50-TWS with him, right? You can watch people hacking more and more. What initially began rarely manifests itself now even more in ammoboxes, hacked weapons or whole fleets of vehicles hacked by people. The sad part about the whole thing is that these are simple scripts, which deeply affect the game engine and i have never seen to another game.

Furthermore, players are lured with useless features. What is the advantage of a bear trap or a fucking dog when the next aimbot-hacker gives me a headshot with his hacked M240 at one mile distance? When do you guys start developing features that the players really need? For example like a group function with some little advantages for groups. Why do the new updates contain more bugs than improvements? Arent they tested before releasing? Every time I put on a suit, i have to drop my backpack, because otherwise its just gone. In 20% of cases, however, it is already gone when it was dropped, why? After dying i have to connect twice. Otherwise my charakter changes between bandit and standard all the time and lose his backpack. When logging out with a broken leg you fall into a coma at any reconnection until the server is restarted. ATVs are unusable, flying several meters high on bridges and break all your bones. On docks you often break your legs, without any reason. Bear traps are active even though they have been picked up. Tents are duping themselves or beeing empty after a server restart although they have been saved. Magazines turn into other items. Items just disappear from the inventory. Zombies do not come on docks and player just fell through walls and floors. Players are flooding the whole world with cloned items, which totally destroys the joy of a found gun. This is one of the most elementary features, dayz is living from. Why dont you change that?

I CAN and WILL not show the long list of bugs that have robbed me of the fun in the end.

I hope that there are more people out there who think like me and help to open the developers eyes.

This game is an alpha-version! Your job is to create a stable version before you create tons of new features!

Edited by AlbiTheReal
  • Like 2

Time better spent working on the standalone IMO, the hacking can't really be "fixed" in the mod because the ArmA engine is designed to be open and because of this I don't think it's worth spending a lot of time fixing a lot of the smaller bugs in the mod when it's always going to be plagued by hacking, as long as they aren't game breaking like artifacting and tents/vehicles not saving I'd rather they spent their time on making sure these bugs aren't in the actual game.

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 1

Time better spent working on the standalone IMO

Dont you think that completing the first step in a right way isnt the best condition to make the second step?

Why should people believe on a good standalone when even the origin isnt good at all?

Thank you for the thorough and well written post; your thesis seems valid and should be considered deeply for the next update.

There isn't going to be "tons of new features" in this mod or when it becomes a game. Rocket is clearly relying on most of the content to be driven by PvP. If you take a look at it, Rocket hasn't really added much content at all to the mod. He's struggling with the few "features" he has added to the game, most of which are bugged. The games concept has huge potential, but there just aren't enough skilled people behind its development.

The games concept has huge potential, but there just aren't enough skilled people behind its development.

Thats totally right, there have never been a game that made me so addicted to like dayz. But things are going at the wrong way at the moment.

Tell me one thing, why starting a standalone when there arent enough skilled people behind?

eight weeks of excessive gaming when you discovered it six weeks ago?

Nice dude, this post is completely useless.

Time better spent working on the standalone IMO

The standalone DayZ also will be based on the Arma-Engine + Battleye? ...good luck, there will be similar bugs/hacks/scripts and other annoying stuff

@Albi

I completely agree with you.

blabla standalone:

If the standalone is based on a modified Arma2-Engine with Battleye we can call/rename this game "DayHack".

I hate Battleye. This is not an anti-cheat, BE is only a bad anti-script with more bypasses as rice on the whole world.

Edited by kraZey
  • Like 1

eight weeks of excessive gaming when you discovered it six weeks ago?

mhm

where did he say he discovered it six weeks ago? all I see is "By chance I discovered dayz EIGHT weeks ago...."

Why do the new updates contain more bugs than improvements? Arent they tested before releasing?

This game is an alpha-version! Your job is to create a stable version before you create tons of new features!

This is alpha, we are the testers. a lot of the bugs are from the arma engine itself, not the mod. and, i might be wrong on this as i'm not a modder, but alpha is where they introduce features and gather feedback on them, beta is where they work out all the bugs.

I will agree with you on the hacking. it seems like over half the servers i join now have a hacker on them, from teleporting to me and my pals and hatcheting us to death, while his god-mode character bleeds and bleeds endlessly from being run over then shot with an as-50 in the face, to setting all of elektro on fire.

When i first started playing dayz it seemed like there were a lot fewer hackers. now i can't seem to stop seeing them.

I would also say secure the hive, a former regular on our server has now teleported all our vehicles to somewhere off map in what the logs appear to show interaction with the hive. I'm not demanding a fix, I just wonder if there's any chance any of this can be remedied or if it's even being looked at.

I know it's an alpha, but in providing a place for the testing to occur it would be nice to know that something can be done other than roll with it and wait a week for everything to respawn, assuming the spawn location hasn't been messed around.

slowmotionpicardfacepalm.gif

i know how you feel. i tried doing the same thing in another thread (you actually just posted beneath my post) but i finally got it to work