Sign in to follow this  
shastin07

Turn ON that Train!

So, me and my friends were talking, how about getting that train to work? Thought long and hard about it and was undecided if it should work all on its own as if a fully automated train, or if teams could fix it up and use it to get around!

As for it being automated, that would be awesome! because it would encourage and enable player spread getting us out of those death trap starting cities, also It might give some more functionality to the WATCH! [How cool would it be if you could catch the train to get to another city, OF YOUR CHOOSING], just get off at the right stop. [ ALSO could be a safe zone? just a concept, which would further enable communication and team play.]

If It were fixable by teams and they could use it to get around, it is easy to understand that this would be VERY loud and cause a lot of attention, [ thinking it should be very well fortified It is a train for Christ sake!] None the less its another means of transportation and its creative!

Just thinking out side of the box...

Tell me what you thought of my Idea, and which you would prefer, an automated train which has a Undelayable schedule [ HOW AWESOME WOULD IT BE IF YOUR FRIENDS RAN TO THE TRAIN AND YOU WERE RUNNING TO GET TO IT YOURSELF, THE RUSH OF THINKING YOU COULD MISS IT AT THE VERY LAST SECOND AND BE SEPARATED FROM YOUR TEAMMATES AT LEAST UNTIL IT COMPLETES ITS FULL CYCLE!] or the idea of having a VERY reliable means of transportation that would enable easy transportation of VERY large shipments at a very high speed, imagine being camped out on the roof hunkered down on this train driving around with your teammates blowing through towns from one to another easily looting large cities and on to the next but knowing that the train is on its tracks and ANY player could simply follow the tracks to find the location of this beast of a vehicles for him and his friends.

• Like 11

I actually really like this idea, but it would have to be a absolute pain, what if you had to repair sections of the track as well? and perhaps if you don't the train will derail?

So Bobby from the neighborhood is now able to fix train? What else? Space ship? Alien mega blaster? Damn where u guys learn all those skills? Damn GROM, Navy Seals, SAS and delta force members....

Edited by pax
  • Like 2

lol, true that, im not thinking a perfectly working train, but perhaps one that has a habit of failing i.e breaks not working, randomly whistling near zeds, just stopping for no reason under the sun...

So Bobby from the neighborhood is now able to fix train? What else? Space ship? Alien mega blaster? Damn where u guys learn all those skills? Damn GROM, Navy Seals, SAS and delta force members....

seriously? I didn't writ ethis to have you people bash it, I was asking for opnions, as in YAY or NAY. IT WASNT MY IDEA to have characters be able to fix helicopters, cars, trucks, boats and SUV's! A train isn't much different from anything else, mechanical by nature get over yourself.

and the concept was to create more function for the watch [ which is all but useless] and to get the blood flowing in cherno, get people out of those starting cities and on to better places.

OR

to have a team be able to run it as they please.

Edited by shastin07

and seeing as there's already a TRAIN, TRACKS and a train station in every single town, put them to use!

and seeing as there's already a TRAIN, TRACKS and a train station in every single town, put them to use!

All you have to do is to DL the mod and scripts from armaholic and do a private hive. It's just a matter of time before someone does this.

which brings up another system idea, what about having to be trained to do things. search a library to have to learn how to repair a truck, a car and yes a train... Thats a bit more work than implementing the train but trainer/ing idea sounds pretty epic. Certainly gives you incentive to stay alive longer as knowledge would reset updon death...

All you have to do is to DL the mod and scripts from armaholic and do a private hive. It's just a matter of time before someone does this.

I like the idea of rocket making it offical!

and according to you guys sounds like its not that much work at all!

Edited by shastin07

I like the idea of rocket making it offical!

and according to you guys sounds like its not that much work at all!

No one said anything about Rocket adding them to DayZ. However im expecting some private servers to put them in.

No one said anything about Rocket adding them to DayZ. However im expecting some private servers to put them in.

No, but this is the suggestions forum and ROCKET asked us to think out side of the box for idea's for the standalone, so I'm hoping he add's them to the stand alone.

Fully automated train, which can be destoryed, snipers can shoot out windows, and once it is destroyed it wont respawn till server restart, which means that bandits can blow up a train using the rocket launcher.

Cart3900.JPG

Here is your train, lets be realistic here. There is absolutely NO chance for a group of survivors to maintain and keep in working order a full modern train.

You could probably slap a small motor and a drive belt to this one, like this:

P1000147-M.jpg

And it can even be dismantled:

P1000149-M.jpg

Edited by Lady Kyrah

Cart3900.JPG here is your train, lets be realistic here. There is absolutely NO chance for a group of survivors to maintain and keep in working order a full modern train.

You could probably slap a small motor and a drive belt to this one, like this:

P1000147-M.jpg

And it can even be dismantled:

P1000149-M.jpg

You need to use the HTML tag.

Also, a train would be awesome.

I'm not against the idea of small train track platforms,

but you could also repair the train in elektro, say 10 scrap metal, 2~4 engines, 3 fuel tank parts, those sort of absurd amount of spare parts to get a fudgin train fully repaired, and be able to drive it, also it'd would need A LOT more AS50 hits to be disabled.

Edited by kryvian

I've already discussed and argued about this with another player. If a train is implemented, i will personally make it my life goal to drive a bus into the side of the train, tipping it over and killing you all. Then i will T-Bag your bodies in my moment of victory.

• Like 1

I'd prefer a wrecked train or two simply for atmosphere and loot possibilities.

If a player fixed train wasn't heavily armored it would serve as nothing but a deathtrap.

I wonder how we got from "I don't want trains in my game" to "let's make everyone learn skills to do stuff!" On second thought, perhaps I shouldn't ask these questions.

ok, the "and now you randomly know how to drive a train?" is retarded. We know how to fly a fucking huey right off the bat, as well as how to operate all the weapons in the game and easily hit a target from 800+meters. Accept the fact that every player knows how to pilot and use everything for the sake of game flow.

"I'll just ram a bus into the side of the train, BECAUSE I AM A BIG FAT KID IN A BASEMENT AND MY OPINION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANYTHING!" Son, an electrical locomotive weights 95 tons (off wiki), a diesel one probably more. Enjoy blowing up your bus on the side of a train.

• Like 1

I like your idea of it being a 'safe zone' (though many would hate that and prefer it to be a rape zone like the train level in Goldeneye 64) where you can walk around and chat with people who would have blown your face off under any other circumstances. It might lead to new friendships that otherwise wouldn't and maybe shouldn't exist.

Bandits will be lined up at the stations on the route waiting for people to get off though.

Edited by malau
  • Like 1

(though many would hate that and prefer it to be a rape zone like the train level in Goldeneye 64)

good memories, and, maybe there could be different trains, like a diesal and then one like the one from the walking dead game ep.3

Someone else has mentioned adding handcars (aka pump trolley, pump car, jigger, Kalamazoo, or draisine). They would be easier to fix than a train and the ones in the north would gradually de-spawn to re-appear back south. When operated by one player they would travel at 35 kph, and by two players they could get to 60 kph. If players leave one on the tracks between Berezino and Electro, it could be destroyed to get it off the tracks.

That said, bicycles serve pretty much the same function, and they can go off the tracks.