Sign in to follow this  
PorkNBeans (DayZ)

The Leading Causes of Death in DayZ and Other Interesting Facts

Breaking down the numbers from today's (9/10/2012) front page paints an interesting picture. There are a lot of assumptions here so feel free to correct any mistakes. In the absence of better info, prepare for a whole lot of pure speculation.

Survival attempts: 34,080,009 - Interpreted as the total number of fresh spawns.

Alive Characters: 973,057 - The number of survivors, both bandit, hero, and otherwise, that still have a pulse.

Murders: 8,283,363 - The number of deaths caused by one character (either bandit or otherwise) killing a non-bandit character.

Bandits killed: 1,423,818 - Assuming these are player-on-player kills and not all other reasons for death

Bandits alive: 149,607 - Number of living players with the bandit skin

Zombies killed: 2,147,483,647

So what can be gleaned from this small amount of info?

1. Most deaths are not caused by other players:

34,080,009 - 973,057 = 33,106,952 total deaths

(8,283,363 + 1,423,818)/33,106,952 = 29% of deaths were player-caused

This means that most of the time (71% of the time), death is caused by other means: zeds, falling, hackers, suicide, crashes in vehicles, hackers, thirst, starvation, exposure, eating bad beans, hackers, etc. No idea how that breaks down since there is no info.

2. For the average life, 63 zombies are killed. Suicide and death by hacker probably skew this down from the real number.

2,147,483,647/34,080,009 = 63

3. Bandits (players wearing the bandit skin) make up a minority of players at 15%.

149,607/973,057 = 15%

4. Of all the murders committed, 15% of the victims are bandits.

1,423,818/(1,423,818 + 8,283,363) = 15%

The last two stats imply that bandits are just about as likely to get killed by other players as non-bandits.

Thoughts? Additional conclusions? Does my math suck?

Edited by PorkNBeans
  • Like 8

Often times, hacker deaths are caused by being shot by them. ie: Teleport behind you, shoots. I would imagine that counts in the above statistics. Thereby leaving only "thunder dome" hacks. Orrr.. run over by car hacks. Assuming that, 71% seems astonishing. I mean I know I died a few times to zombies as a noob, but .. da-yum. Either thunder dome is more prevalent then previously imagined, or.. I don't even know. You also left out helicopter shootings.

Id say your calculations would hold up nicely. well done.

Persoanlly I have been killed way more by falling, and zeds than PvP. However as i got more time on the game, I learned to navigate properly and the dangers of zombie knockdowns, so my percentage of deaths via stupidity (Zeds, falling, hunger / thirst) is way down now compared to PvP which is up.

I think the stats are not that suprising when you consider that everyone starts out as a noob and get killed a few times before they learn that game, however not everyone continues to play once they are compitent and have learned to avoid these things.

Another stat that shows this is that average life used to be 30 minutes or so, its now up over an hour. This would also indicate as people play more they avoid the stupid hazards and fall to PvP more than they used to

• Like 1

Wow interesting, I expected deaths related to bandits and other players to be the highest since that's all people talk about. Kind of makes sense though I guess, since encounters mostly only happen in the big cities.

3. Bandits (players wearing the bandit skin) make up a minority of players at 15%.

149,607/973,057 = 15%

4. Of all the murders committed, 15% of the victims are bandits.

1,423,818/(1,423,818 + 8,283,363) = 15%

The last two stats imply that bandits are just about as likely to get killed by other players as non-bandits.

Thoughts? Additional conclusions? Does my math suck?

If accurate, it proves what many of us were saying before: bandits used to have a huge advantage in that they could pretend they weren't bandits and could casually shoot survivors in the face from point blank range. Bandit skins have made it so that both bandits and survivors are equally as likely to be murdered. So bandit skins have almost completely balanced out the murder rate between bandits and survivors and have taken away the security and comfort bandits used to enjoy suckerpunching survivors they came across.

Now watch as bandits continue to complain that bandit skins are ruining the game.

Edited by BazBake

I think the stats are not that suprising when you consider that everyone starts out as a noob and get killed a few times before they learn that game, however not everyone continues to play once they are compitent and have learned to avoid these things.

Yes this seems very likely. After a few weeks playing, Zeds and other natural causes are no longer a threat.

Frankly I see this as one of the problems with this game in terms of long-term play styles. Without the world providing any survival challenge and all the high-end gear secured, players are steered towards pvp as the only other end-game activity. (Aside from trying to be a hero or a medic, which the game does not really give the player much incentive or even the proper tools to do.) At that point DayZ degenerates into every other FPS, albeit one with a larger-than-average death penalty and a whole lot of down time. I'm not sure what the solution is to this problem, and I'm still playing and enjoying the game, but that's how I'm beginning to see it.

Zombies killed: 2,147,483,647

2. For the average life, 63 zombies are killed. Suicide and death by hacker probably skew this down from the real number.

2,147,483,647/34,080,009 = 63

This number isn't accurate and hasn't increased in at least a couple of weeks. See: No more zombies killed... *ever*

I wonder how many of those deaths involved a person picking up and/or using a can of Mt. Dew.

I wonder how many deaths are due too skiddies?

You must be way too bored...You need to get a better life man

3 minutes of math, oh gracious!

• Like 1

You're forgetting that for most players the average lifespan is so short, that bandit status is never acquired despite the intentions being there. That, and the bug that causes humanity to load incorrectly after death, requiring a relog so the statistics are far from accurate, although I am unsure whether killing someone whose humanity loaded incorrectly grants a bandit kill or murder.

Yea the math can never be perfect due to a couple save and timing issues on things but its close enough. I'd also encourage ya to take into account the "oh well no respawn" attempts and people that go kill themselves. I would imagine that is at LEAST 30% of them. I've been online on a server and seen a guy kill himself 15 times. I couldn't grasp the concept by that point he could have ran the map for gear.

I'd like to see a stat of where -accounts- have deaths. So they are not all meshed together. Like I said I've had less then 5 deaths. I think *boggle* I've been hacker killed twice ( once the guy even gave our stuff back then suggested we leave the server) Once was, I tried crawling under the railings and couldn't from a top floor of an industrial complex, then laying down I went to lean and did a barrel roll under the railings belly flopping to my death. My other remembered death was a whole day of teleporting Mike Tyson zombies. Finally got knocked out and eating alive.

The point is I'd like to see the ratio ofaccounts that have say less then 10 deaths vs ones with ....30-100 deaths then 100+ deaths.