Deetwo

Zombie Identification Guide

I've noticed a number of differences in terms of how the zombies behave in this game and in an effort to provide people with consistent identification of zombies (along with any information that may pertain to them), I have decided to create this guide.

First let's start with the list of zombies (in order of least threatening to highest threat):

• Crawlers
  • Hoppers
  • Walkers (I'll point out the different types below.)
  • Soldiers (This will also be broken down.)

I'll be listing each zombie type's threat level, overall behavior and make note of any "special types". When I say "special type", I mean these are zombies that either look rather different from the rest of its respective type or they simply act more aggressively. For example, there is a walker that is rather aggressive and can be easily identified by its recognizable Russian hat (I believe it's called "Ushanka", someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Bear in mind all zombie types may sometimes act as expected, but at other times they seem to randomly increase in aggressiveness for no apparent reason. Therefore, your mileage may vary and this guide is my attempt to establish a baseline behavior for each zombie. Not to mention all zombies appear to have a chance to perform a "super attack" (Ivan types seem to perform this regularly), which will easily knock you out, greatly lower your health and on top of that shatter your legs.

Thanks to BioHaze's suggestion, I have added a loot table for each zombie type. According to wiki (Can somebody find me the link to this?), zombies have about a 35% chance of loot, so sometimes you may get lucky (provided that you actually check the corpses of the zombies you kill).

Update: Apparently, db.dayzwiki has a loot table for each zombie in the game so I'll simply link each zombie type back to their respective loot tables and only mention the more notable loot for each one. Please note I am unaware of how they obtain their data so the chances may not be accurate, but at the very least it'll provide a better sense of each respective zombie's loot table.

Note 1 : I've forgotten there can be military types that may also be crawlers or hoppers as well so I'd like to clarify that here. Also, I am unsure if military versions of the crawlers and hoppers act any more aggressive than their civilian counterparts (I'd assume that would be the case).

Note 2: "What Ive noticed, zeds are aggroing by sight.. So if you run behind them, they dont notice you by sight, only by hearing.

And what comes to airfield zeds, they aggro easier since theres a concrete platform that makes you visible very long range... And if you sprint on that concrete, you're going to aggro half Chernarus on you." -XciD

Civilian Crawlers

• Threat Level: Low
  • Aggro Range: Very Short
  • Overall Behavior: Generally speaking, these types will leave you alone as long as you remain out of their aggro ranges (probably something small like 1-3m).
  • Loot: Will be updated (Not much though, they should share the same loot table as all civilian zombies).
  • Special Crawlers: None that I'm aware of.

Civilian Hoppers

• Threat Level: Low - Medium
  • Aggro Range: Short to Medium
  • Overall Behavior: These are also normally non-aggressive zombies. However, they have a much wider aggro range when compared with crawlers. Not to mention they are more susceptible to any noise you may make.
  • Loot: Will be updated (Not much though, they should share the same loot table as all civilian zombies).
  • Special Hoppers: None that I'm aware of.

Civilian Walkers

• Threat Level: Low - High (due to how some special types may act)
  • Aggro Range: Medium to Long (due to the behavior of the special types)
  • Overall Behavior: This type is probably the most troubling (maybe even more so than the soldier types) due to the fact that their threat level can vary greatly. It can range from simple idled walking to being able to see you from 150m away even while you're crawling.
  • Loot: Special note on the hunters; they have a chance to drop bear traps based on the new patch notes (I can't personally confirm this however). As noted by BioHaze you can find Canned Food, Soda Cans, rounds for common Weapons like Makarov PM or Lee Enfield or empty tin/soda cans and whiskey bottles. Here's a more complete list of each walker's loot table: Hunter, Priest and generic walker loot table.
  • Special Walkers: "Ivan" (Russian hat), "The Mechanic", Priest, "Jamie(from MythBusters)", the Hunter, Doctor

Military Crawlers

• Threat Level: Low
  • Aggro Range: Very Short
  • Overall Behavior: While these are military types, I haven't personally experienced much of a difference from its civilian counterpart.
  • Loot: Will be updated (Not much though, they should share the same loot table as all military zombies).
  • Special Crawlers: None that I'm aware of.

Military Hoppers

• Threat Level: Low - Medium
  • Aggro Range: Short to Medium
  • Overall Behavior: Also should haven't much difference between its civilian counterpart.
  • Loot: Will be updated (Not much though, they should share the same loot table as all military zombies).
  • Special Hoppers: None that I'm aware of.

Military Walkers

• Threat Level: Medium - High
  • Aggro Range: Medium to Long
  • Overall Behavior: Since these are mainly found on military buildings, it would make sense for such types to be the toughest out of all the zombie types. This would include higher aggro ranges as well as being highly aggressive. Also note that you can find Pilots from helicopter sites.
  • Loot: As noted by BioHaze, you can find ammo for rare weapons. Also Pilots from helicopter sites supposedly drop night vision goggles, but I have not personally found that to be the case (db.dayzwiki seems to confirm my suspicions). Here's a more complete list of all military walker's loot table: Police man, Pilot, and soldiers.
  • Special Soldiers: Police Officers, Pilot. Please note there are two main skins for military zombies, the regular unformed military zombie and its heavier counterpart.

I will be keeping this post updated based on the community's interest and whether or not I've got the free time to update it.

Also, if anyone wants to help contribute, please do reply back here and I'll add it to my post (you will be appropriately accredited of course). In fact, I'm currently trying to obtain screenshots for each zombie to provide easier identification. I also may add some things about the "special" types.

Edited by Deetwo
  • Like 3

wild-kingdom-2.jpg

It's like this, but for Zombies.

"wider aggro range when compared with hoppers."

I believe you meant crawlers.

And which one is the "Hunter" that drops Bear Traps?

Edited by BioHaze

I saw that on the .6 update logs, but I've yet to see a Hunter-zombie...

wild-kingdom-2.jpg

It's like this, but for Zombies.

"wider aggro range when compared with hoppers."

I believe you meant crawlers.

Thanks, its been corrected.

And I'm not too familiar with this "Hunter" zombie.

I assume the hunter is the one with the Russian hat, or the civilian zombie with the plaid lumberjack shirt that spawns near barns.

You're welcome, DeeTwo

I think it's the "Ivan"/Russian hat Zombie too, I thought maybe the OP could clarify.

He has padding on his clothes, similar to hunting clothes I think... could be wrong

Edit: Friendly suggestion on a similar note, you might want to add item drop info for each type as well.

From Wiki:

About 35% of zombies have loot on them.

On civilian zombies you can find Canned Food, Soda Cans, rounds for common Weapons like Makarov PM or Lee Enfield or empty cans and bottles.

On military zombies you can find ammo for rare weapons, for example AK or STANAG. They also have a chance of dropping HE and Smoke Grenades.

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 1

I saw that on the .6 update logs, but I've yet to see a Hunter-zombie...

Hrm....that maybe a bit difficult for me to confirm due to the fact that I haven't updated yet.

The real "Jamie" has a light coloured shirt on like his namesake.

Yeah, the one I have now is mainly a placeholder until I can obtain a better screenshot.

You're welcome, DeeTwo

I think it's the "Ivan"/Russian hat Zombie too, I thought maybe the OP could clarify.

He has padding on his clothes, similar to hunting clothes I think... could be wrong

Edit: Friendly suggestion on a similar note, you might want to add item drop info for each type as well.

From Wiki:

About 35% of zombies have loot on them.

On civilian zombies you can find Canned Food, Soda Cans, rounds for common Weapons like Makarov PM or Lee Enfield or empty cans and bottles.

On military zombies you can find ammo for rare weapons, for example AK or STANAG. They also have a chance of dropping HE and Smoke Grenades.

I suppose I can add more information such as that once I get a chance to.

Edit: For now I'll simply put in what you've stated and give you credit for it.

Edited by Deetwo

Added limited information about the hunter, since I can't personally check this out (it will still be a while before I can).

Also if anyone can provide me with screenshots of each zombie type, it'd be much appreciated.

I added more screenshots of the zombies, but it's still incomplete so I'll continue with my deadly zombie safari hunt. However, it'll actually be deadly this time due to the fact that ZH's server is no longer buggy.

Edited by Deetwo

What Ive noticed, zeds are aggroing by sight.. So if you run behind them, they dont notice you by sight, only by hearing.

And what comes to airfield zeds, they aggro easier since theres a concrete platform that makes you visible very long range... And if you sprint on that concrete, you're going to aggro half Chernarus on you.

• Like 1

What Ive noticed, zeds are aggroing by sight.. So if you run behind them, they dont notice you by sight, only by hearing.

And what comes to airfield zeds, they aggro easier since theres a concrete platform that makes you visible very long range... And if you sprint on that concrete, you're going to aggro half Chernarus on you.

Hrm....good points that I've noticed as well.

Thanks for pointing it out, I'll mention it in my initial post once I'm done updating the loot section for each zombie type.

Edited by Deetwo

Finally got around to adding more screenshots. I managed to get most of the harder ones.

What about medical zombies? I see a lot of servers that still have white coat zombies spawning near hospitals.

Oh yeah, I knew I forgot something.

The jamie zed is the worst one, chases for several hours before switching to how fast you are running.

ive also noticed that crawling at night 200m away from zeds is equal to sprinting full speed out in the open during day in front of a zombie.

I knew those Ivan zombies existed! One of those fucks broke my leg in one hit at stary while I had full health. I killed the mofo and thought "Super Zed?!?!" to myself. It all makes sense now.

There is more to our foes than meets the eye apparently.

Edited by Vindicator

This is a great thread. I noticed that I lost humanity (I didn't notice until later, so I don't know the exact number, I think maybe 250-400?) when I shot a Jaime. You can tell when you are shooting a Jaime because they actually talk and say things like "ow, that bloody hurt".