Tegla (DayZ)

AKM vs AK 74 Kobra

I don't mind using the iron sights on the AKM' date=' actually I really love being able to zero them in. The AKM is my most used weapon because of how common the ammo is and the incredible stopping power, 15 minutes ago I knocked a guy down in a single shot from 300m, it only took 4 to make sure he was dead.

[/quote']

yea no other gun can snare people like the akm, if you unload on someone you are bound to shatter something or knock them unconcious. and this is speaking from just spray and pray. zig zags some really work on akm because its full auto and have such probability of being knocked out or being bone shattered. besides being shot at by akm at less than 100meter is pretty much insta gib since you just die from 2 shots to the body lol....

I've got a kobra and I hate the thing :/

Why?

It always defaults to automatic fire. It doesn't do much damage. It uses AK mags.

I want my damned Remmington. I've found as much mtn dew as those fuckers :/

they are both a nightmare to use around towns, if you start shooting either of them first be ready to take on the wave on zeds heading toward you. i prefer the 74 with or without the kobra simply due to the accuracy it drops zeds in 2 chest shots aswell so its not too bad.

All the AKs default to full auto first, then single shot. It's how they are in real life - the selector switch goes from safe to full to single. It's part of the design of the gun. The meaning behind it is clear - "give it loads".

I personally ove full auto. Anyone who doesnt know how to tap shoot hasnt played enough counter strike ;)

edit: my god, that is one retarded smiley xD

A shot from a 7.62 is less likely to kill you as the bullet will most likely pass straight through you. The 5.45 is designed to tumble on impact which creates a much larger wound channel.

I don't know if that is 100% accurate though, there is a lot of energy transfer involved causing massive hydrostatic shock, although a clean through and through will always be a relatively minor wound no matter the round. The 7.62 may not tumble in mid-air like smaller rounds though so it MAY be less likely to cause massive trauma I suppose.

Okay so i dropped my Kobra for the AKM. What is better than an AKM? In my last life i had M4A3 CCO and M4A1 CCO SD, didnt notice the difference between them an akm

I hate the AKM, zeroing sights is a pain since the majority of combat happens within 200m for me. The sights are terrible for tracking players moving left and right, so you need to guess and pray when leading targets. The massive recoil of the gun requires you to reset your sets every time you pull the trigger, and the loud noise lures zombies from everywhere within 300m.

The Kobra is quieter, more accurate, and the holographic sight is easy to correct drop with. You can use it in full auto rather effectively, and you can use the sights at night. I'll definetly take it over the AKM, even if it means finding few magazines for it.

Not an answer to the actual question, but i like the AKS-74u. Quite fun to show some poor survivor what's up around that corner with this little devil.

The AK-74 has better accuracy over greater range. I know' date=' I own one.

The AKM may be an “7.62” cartridge but it isn’t a full size/power 7.62 like the FAL or M14 etc. It is an intermediate cartridge and it’s velocity/stopping power drops off quickly at range.

The AK-74’s 5N7 Russian issue 5.45 round has a very high muzzle velocity and a devastating effect on flesh.

There was/is a good reason that the Russian military switched from the 7.62 x 39 to the 5.45 x 39 cartridge.

[/quote']

They don't call it the "poison dart" for nothing!

Seriously, as far as life is concerned, the 5.45mm is devastating for the small package it comes in.

Oh, NOW everyone likes the kobra xD

Nevermind, besides the iron sights at night i like the akm

Okay so i dropped my Kobra for the AKM. What is better than an AKM? In my last life i had M4A3 CCO and M4A1 CCO SD' date=' didnt notice the difference between them an akm

[/quote']

It's all about personal preference, honestly.

^

AKM drops ppl in 1 shot, the M4s dont. they take 2 shots.

i wud drop ANY AK for ANY M4 any day. M4A3 CCO and M4A1 CCO SD are my favorite 2 weapons in game.

For the record' date=' there is barely a difference between the 7.62x54 and the 7.62x51. Most NATO guns can use the the Soviet round.

[/quote']

No, they cannot.

The 7.62*51 and 7.62*54 are totally different cartridges. The proper designation of the Soviet round is 7.62*54R, the R meaning a rimmed cartridge so it is a completely different cartridge from any other cartridge in wide spread use today, I know of no other rimmed cartridge in common use.

just to go over this' date=' the ak 74 fires a 5.45 not 5.56 with high muzzle velocity meaning it goes straight through a body, while the akm or ak 47's bullets tumble inside the body causing more internal damage. but in the end get the m14 with high muzzle velocity and a devastating 7.62x51mm.

[/quote']

The Soviet 5.45 5N7 has an air pocket in the nose (not open to the outside therefore not technically a "hollow point") which causes the round to destabilize and "swap ends" when passing through flesh creating a horrific wound channel.

During the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan the Afghan rebels called the 5.45 round the "poison bullet" due to devastating effect of the 5.45 round on a human body.

The 7.62 may not tumble in mid-air like smaller rounds though so it MAY be less likely to cause massive trauma I suppose.

NO round is designed to "tumble in mid air", that would defeat 200 plus years of research into spin stabilizing bullets for accuracy.

The standard 7.62x39 russian (m43) round has one of the smallest wound channel/exit wound profiles of any of the military rounds. It was not designed for killing unarmored targets like the 5.45x39 round was.

Here is a ballistics chart showing the differences. Go you youtube and search for ballistic gelletin videos of people shooting rounds to see the wound patterns. The standard akm round will show the smallest wound pattern of any of the rounds.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/RussianWP.jpg

It IS a good round though but it is designed for taking out people behind cover or wearing armor. The round was actually redesigned to specifically fix this problem and that is how you get the m67 (which to my knowledge is NOT what is used in arma2).

I love my AKM for the following reasons:

Plentiful ammo, I currently have 9 Mags and im constantly running into more, a trip to stary sobor, Balota or a couple dear stands will net you at least a couple mags.

The sights give you much better peripheral vision then the Kobra or even the M16 Acog, all the fancy ironsights just take up valuable visibility in a firefight.

The stopping power, I stalked a group of 4 guys until I had a good chance, I downed 2 of them instantly with 3 bullets then took my time popping the 2 sprinting away in panic. Simply put, 1 round from any range below 300 meters will fuck up the target, unless the Mp5 or Winchester which are more unreliable when it comes to 1 hit kills.

Ballistics are good to know, especially for what is technically a "sim" game. However, there are many places in which the real-world ballistics don't exactly line up with ArmA II/DayZ. I'm typically a lone wolf, and I'd love to have an M4A3 CCO with some SD mags for anti-Zed - since I typically avoid PvP at ALL costs. I'd rather play as a medic than engage in a fire-fight. I just ran into this exact scenario of having to choose AKM vs Kobra. I opted for the AKM since I typically look for servers on daylight. For night time, I have my G17 with some M9SD mags (since, again, I'm more anti-Zed than PvP, and I typically play on lower-pop servers).

All things said, just as in real life, you need to try out both and see which you are more comfortable with. Anyone can become exceeding deadly with any weapon, so long as they get tuned in to it. I've seen guys do things that should not be possible with the MP5, including taking out a 4-man team of M4's and AK-74's, just because they really knew how to use the gun.

I hate both these guns, I'd go the AKM though, can't stand Kobra sight.

Kobra all the way, AKM is like a dinnerbell in Cherno, pulls zombies from the other side of town. However, it's more versatile and if it was a little more sneaky I'd be using it when I leave the coast every time.

AKM is my favorite rifle by far. Common ammo, accurate and does some damage.

Edited by Sutinen

AKM definitely, the range and ability to zero more than makes up for the noise.

AKM for sure. Went head to head @ 2m with a guy that was using an MP5 in the top of a fire station. He was on the trigger much quicker than I was but I still won. IMO the sights and any fire rate advantage that the Kobra might have don't make up for the damage that the AKM will put out.

I've hit someone 5 times with the kobra and had them still be mobile. Two AKM hits will guarantee at minimum a broken limb or unconsciousness.