boogiemanfl

Basically done with this game for now. Sadly, it's just a slow paced deathmatch.

TL;DR scrubs:

I like the concept of this game and the fear of dying and losing everything makes you very careful, but there is too much downtime and no motivation for anything other than mindless deathmatch. Also I don't like CoD, BF3 or mindless deathmatch games like that so suggesting that I go play them instead which seems to happen in every post even remotely like this one, is a waste of time.

I'm fine with the PvP, real loss adds some care and caution to it. But to lose days of progress and countless hours of traveling, dodging zombies, players - all that just to die in 2 seconds is just horrible. I die to a cash register, then to a zombie who is invincible and will never die, to joining a server with 6 people only to get instantly killed during a heavy rainstorm in pitch black night while I was laying down moments after I load up, after hours of play. Then you look back on the time preceding and they were basically for nothing. LONG periods of running around with small windows of actually "playing a game".

It's not about the zombies, which is weird considering it's a zombie survival game. It's purely devolved into another run of the mill deathmatch game. A Counter Strike with no teams where you get one life and the rounds last hours or days. If you're any distance from the coast, you're shoot on sight to everyone because no one wants to endure the torture of getting back out there. Even the newbie cities are stalked by people with better gear, newbies will evade each other unless someone gets the drop. And in my experience anyone who has lived long enough to have more than a makarov will also kill you on sight regardless of the situation.

I've been on both sides, I've been killed and I've done the killing. Each person I took out, I felt a little bad (most of them disconnected within a minute later) thinking well just like it happened to me I just wasted that person's time. Even though I'd rather not kill other players, it's forced upon you because 9 people in 10 will happily kill you because it's difficult/impossible to communicate and there is little motivation to do otherwise. Such high traveling requirements and repetitive garbage loot makes everyone hope they'll get something useful off you. There needs to be motivation to do something other than hunt other players - the zombies need to be more a part of the game. Right now their most prominent roll is being shambling speed limit signs.

Such harsh results from dying appeal to some people but I don't believe most people will be able to validate losing so much time in the blink of an eye to some random asshole to keep up with the game for any length of time. I'd be curious to know the details of how many unique players have played this game, and still do after a month. Seems to me, although my experience is somewhat limited itself, that it's wave after wave of newbies who soon tire of the time consuming gameplay and extremely anti social community with only a small long term player population of hardcore diehards.

Some people no doubt think it's fine how it is, but to me it feels like the game has strayed away from what it seems it supposed to be. I know it's an alpha, but without sweeping changes I don't see it becoming much more than it is. It's just too harsh. Those with a LOT of free time will invariably have more fun than someone with far less. If the map was half the size, or in general simply had less empty time gobbling wilderness it'd be less painful.

Oh well. Had some fun experiences but 90% of my time spent was empty running around. Maybe it'll get better in time.

May I ask what sort of experience were you expecting to get from this mod?

guys don't be so mean to him.

Besides he is actually telling the truth.

Maps are way too big to run for hours(Besides, it's unrealistic) and everybody is just shooting everything that moves without thinking.

Still, those problems doesn't stop me from playing it for days.

guys don't be so mean to him. Besides he is actually telling the truth. Maps are way too big to run for hours(Besides' date=' it's unrealistic) and everybody is just shooting everything that moves without thinking.[/quote']

Fitting username is fitting.

It's easy to be a troll, but it's apparently hard to think of something that has any constructive or intelligent qualities to it, no matter how slight.

Probably what virtually everyone thinks of when they read about it. A free for all zombie survival game. Not a deathmatch game that has zombies on the side.

The game would no doubt benefit from a smaller map designed specifically for it as the base game and maps were designed for something completely different and will be held back by the same thing that holds Arma back, being appealing to a small portion of the gamer community in general do the general user unfriendliness of the interface/controls and such large time requirements.

To be more clear, such colossal maps and long travel times doesn't mesh very well with such high player casualty rates and death penalties.

I think this game is too easy. I also disagree that it has turned into PvP, if in real life it was a situation such as this game simulates, would you trust/approach anybody that you didn't already know?

(I wouldn't)

:( - I just noticed that I typed my own username wrong, it is supposed to be MrBurns434...

Game? What game are you playing?

I am playing an alpha test. Can you please tell me where to download this 'Game'?

P.s. your comment annoyed me so much I created an account to tell you this.

This game is a throwback to when PC games were actually difficult and fun. Go play something like COD or BF3 so that you can just wait 20 seconds and return to full health, it sounds like it's more your style of gaming experience.

• Like 1

I like the concept of this game

No' date=' you clearly don't. You don't even [i']understand the concept, so how can you claim to like it?

it's just too much downtime.

How often do you die, and why? My last survivor was alive 12 days, probably 50+ hours in game.

I'm fine with the PvP

Why is this the first thing out of everyone's mouth when they are obviously not fine with it?

But to lose days of progress and countless hours of traveling, dodging zombies, players - all that just to die in 2 seconds is just horrible.

And it is the very presence of that "horrible" experience that makes everything else in the game seem so much more intense, more real, more gratifying. If it weren't for the psychopathic killers waiting around every dark corner in this game, what would your accomplishments be? Picking up beans and ammo and shooting cows? Okay...

Last night I lost my 12-day-old survivor. Ghillie suit, M16A2+203 w/ mags, 5 fully loaded tents, a completely repaired vehicle full of spare parts and ammunition, etc. I was stunned. My heart was beating, my brow was sweating. I stared at the "You Are Dead" screen for 10 minutes. Then, I sucked it up and got right back to it knowing that the next survivor could live twice that long and achieve twice as much if I am careful and don't make the same mistake I did last night.

I die to a cash register, then to a zombie who is invincible and will never die

Okay, it's Alpha. We all know that.

to joining a server with 6 people only to get instantly killed during a heavy rainstorm in pitch black night while I was laying down moments after I load up

So basically you were trying to avoid PvP by playing on an underpopulated server and got shot anyway? That's pretty awesome in my opinion. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide. Just like it should be.

With how huge the map is and foot basically being the only way to travel (I've never seen a functioning vehicle, ever)

Whose fault is that? I've repaired vehicles single handled without a single person helping by venturing out, finding the parts necessary, and running all the way back to the broken vehicle because my inventory only had space for one item at a time. It literally took me 12 hours to repair a single vehicle in game on my own. Then I lost it 30 minutes later. And I didn't care.

Vehicles are everywhere now. If you have never seen one, then you are simply not looking very carefully - or you never survive long enough to find one. Either way you are at fault, not the game.

and seemingly only a few places on the whole map worth going to

What makes a place "worth going to"? Maybe this retarded mentality is the reason you've never found a vehicle, hmm? Try exploring some of those places you think are not "worth it" and you might find out that, in fact, they are.

I know it's an alpha, but without sweeping changes I don't see it becoming much more than it is.

"Sweeping changes" is kind of the definition of the Alpha-Beta transition period. Why is it everyone who claims to know what an Alpha is, doesn't have a clue?

It's just too harsh.

Go play Left 4 Dead then. Most of us are here precisely because it's "just too harsh."

Those with a LOT of free time will invariably have more fun than someone with far less.

I have a fully time job and a family and I have had more fun with this game than any other in the past 2 decades.

If the map was half the size

Fuck no.

It's not about the zombies, which is weird considering it's a zombie survival game.

Except it's not.

It's purely devolved into another run of the mill deathmatch game.

No, it hasn't.

If you're any distance from the coast, you're shoot on sight to everyone

Not the people in my group.

Such harsh results from dying appeal to some people but I don't believe most people will be able to validate losing so much time in the blink of an eye to some random asshole.

Great. DayZ is not for "most people." Most people like Farmville and pro wrestling. Most people can go fuck themselves for all I care.

I am playing an alpha test. Can you please tell me where to download this 'Game'?

Oh yeah? And you have 7 posts already? Nice try. You know I am playing Dayz mod for Arma 2 so your post is completely and utterly pointless. I'm not going to go do the whole alpha spiel crap for people with chips on their shoulders.

Yeah, the map could actually stand to be a little smaller, given that most of it is just forests/plains. A map about a quarter the size with some more detailed cities......but I understand why this isn't available at this time.

Probably what virtually everyone thinks of when they read about it. A free for all zombie survival game. Not a deathmatch game that has zombies on the side.

It hasn't evolved yet. Give it time' date=' and return when you see fit. As it is, zeds are generally too easy to avoid and/or kill.

I am playing an alpha test.

Aren't we all.

you're being so picky' date=' does word choice really matters? lol

[hr']

in second thought, i like the map size.

I think it would be better if places other than airfields, 3 cities are more worth exploring.

Probably more varied spawn points and more players per server

TL;DR scrubs:

I like the concept of this game and the fear of dying and losing everything makes you very careful' date=' but there is too much downtime and no motivation for anything other than mindless deathmatch. Also I don't like CoD, BF3 or mindless deathmatch games like that so suggesting that I go play them instead which seems to happen in every post even remotely like this one, is a waste of time.

I'm fine with the PvP, real loss adds some care and caution to it. But to lose days of progress and countless hours of traveling, dodging zombies, players - all that just to die in 2 seconds is just horrible. I die to a cash register, then to a zombie who is invincible and will never die, to joining a server with 6 people only to get instantly killed during a heavy rainstorm in pitch black night while I was laying down moments after I load up, after hours of play. Then you look back on the time preceding and they were basically for nothing. LONG periods of running around with small windows of actually "playing a game".

It's not about the zombies, which is weird considering it's a zombie survival game. It's purely devolved into another run of the mill deathmatch game. A Counter Strike with no teams where you get one life and the rounds last hours or days. If you're any distance from the coast, you're shoot on sight to everyone because no one wants to endure the torture of getting back out there. Even the newbie cities are stalked by people with better gear, newbies will evade each other unless someone gets the drop. And in my experience anyone who has lived long enough to have more than a makarov will also kill you on sight regardless of the situation.

I've been on both sides, I've been killed and I've done the killing. Each person I took out, I felt a little bad (most of them disconnected within a minute later) thinking well just like it happened to me I just wasted that person's time. Even though I'd rather not kill other players, it's forced upon you because 9 people in 10 will happily kill you because it's difficult/impossible to communicate and there is little motivation to do otherwise. Such high traveling requirements and repetitive garbage loot makes everyone hope they'll get something useful off you. There needs to be motivation to do something other than hunt other players - the zombies need to be more a part of the game. Right now their most prominent roll is being shambling speed limit signs.

Such harsh results from dying appeal to some people but I don't believe most people will be able to validate losing so much time in the blink of an eye to some random asshole to keep up with the game for any length of time. I'd be curious to know the details of how many unique players have played this game, and still do after a month. Seems to me, although my experience is somewhat limited itself, that it's wave after wave of newbies who soon tire of the time consuming gameplay and extremely anti social community with only a small long term player population of hardcore diehards.

Some people no doubt think it's fine how it is, but to me it feels like the game has strayed away from what it seems it supposed to be. I know it's an alpha, but without sweeping changes I don't see it becoming much more than it is. It's just too harsh. Those with a LOT of free time will invariably have more fun than someone with far less. If the map was half the size, or in general simply had less empty time gobbling wilderness it'd be less painful.

Oh well. Had some fun experiences but 90% of my time spent was empty running around. Maybe it'll get better in time.

[/quote']

Dont worry bro, community will be dead in 3 months tops, theyre just waiting on the new CODBLOPS2 to come out and eventually a better qaulified studio will take the sandbox zombie idea and run with it, probably do a much better job too.

yep...just like real life i don't understand the point in having all these types of guns when all of them kill you in 1-3 shots....its just asinine...

There NEEDS to be some sort of bullet proof vest or something i mean there is no defense items only guns...ironic that your character has a bullet proof vest on yet it don't do shit.

I like how so many people think saying "no it hasn't" is a clear and logical point made against another person's claim.

Most of you seem unable to comprehend the meaning of an opinion. If you don't share it, fine. Good for you and thinking for yourself. You really don't have to attack me if you disagree.

I find it puzzling how hard it is for most people to discuss something with someone who shares different views than them without being rude and aggressive about it. I'm not saying I drilled your mother and girlfriend at the same time while eating your dog, in your bed.

It's a game and I am saying that I think it needs a lot of work.

It's easy to be a troll' date=' but it's apparently hard to think of something that has any constructive or intelligent qualities to it, no matter how slight.

[/quote']

Those threads get closed fast by the mods here (who are totally awesome at thier job btw, moderating is the same as censoring apprantly). Only image macros and hostile "faggot" comments are permitted currently. What a community.

You created this account specifically to reply to this thread yet you managed to write up 6 more posts before replying to this one. Are you magical?

you're being so picky' date=' does word choice really matters? lol

[hr']

in second thought, i like the map size.

I think it would be better if places other than airfields, 3 cities are more worth exploring.

Probably more varied spawn points and more players per server

I understand that you want more cities or whatever.

Do you understand the provenance of the mod? I don't think so.

I'd like to be able to explore a whole continent with 10000 players on the same server, with full cities and fast food restaurants with working fryers.... But really, there's an engine, and a very small, volunteer dev/resources team.

People are getting ahead of this mod and expecting way too much. I can't imagine being encouraged by all of the entitlement and 'suggestions' on these boards.

The number of 'I'm leaving' threads (I did one myself!).

As TKJ said, if you don't like it now, then go play or do something else and check in periodically.

I agree that the game could be more difficult, and I'd like it to feel like a panic mode race to live even for a few minutes.... More threats and more dangers would be great. I elucidated such things in a previous post that was eaten in the board fiasco, and I don't really feel like throwing it all out there again....

In any case, yes, the environment should, in my estimation, be more challenging. Until then, I am having fun with it, and I don't play it like a typical FPS. There are ways not to.

Those threads get closed fast by the mods here (who are totally awesome at thier job btw' date=' moderating is the same as censoring apprantly). Only image macros and hostile "faggot" comments are permitted currently. What a community.[/quote']

Reported for being a total waste of skin.

There's trade posts popping up on servers.. There's Dr Wasteland MD and his bunch of Samaritans trawling Chernarus helping strangers.. Hell, I've even seen small PMC's appearing, taking beans for payment.

Either you've the smallest imagination out there, or this is something you've outrightly considered. DM my arse.

I like how so many people think saying "no it hasn't" is a clear and logical point made against another person's claim.

Most of you seem unable to comprehend the meaning of an opinion. If you don't share it' date=' fine. Good for you and thinking for yourself. You really don't have to attack me if you disagree.

I find it puzzling how hard it is for most people to discuss something with someone who shares different views than them without being rude and aggressive about it. I'm not saying I drilled your mother and girlfriend at the same time while eating your dog, in your bed.

It's a game and I am saying that I think it needs a lot of work.

[/quote']

Fanboys are Fanboys. They fail to realise that constructive criticism may help to improve the thing they have a nerd boner for.

That doesn't really describe the experience you were expecting' date=' and there are no differences in your examples, anyway. Wiki-Deathmatch

The Zombies will always be on the side because it's not a Zombie hunting game, it is a survival game.

Those threads get closed fast by the mods here (who are totally awesome at thier job btw' date=' moderating is the same as censoring apprantly). Only image macros and hostile "faggot" comments are permitted currently. What a community.

[/quote']

Maybe you should report the hostile ones instead of only whining about them and perpetuating the problem.

There's trade posts popping up on servers.. There's Dr Wasteland MD and his bunch of Samaritans trawling Chernarus helping strangers.. Hell' date=' I've even seen small PMC's appearing, taking beans for payment.

Either you've the smallest imagination out there, or this is something you've outrightly considered. DM my arse.

[/quote']

I am not quite getting the point of your post, so I'm going to take a shot in the dark.

These things only mean something if you've ran across them or even been one of the few servers where such things happen. I've never seen them and I've played on a bunch of server. So what if 5% of the player population aren't homicidal maniacs? What about the other 95%?