blackojacko

To Buy Or Not To Buy

Hello. I am obviously new here. I have a question before I invest thirty dollars in :CO. I have been instructed to wait until DayZ standalone is released to buy it, due to hackers. I enjoy games like DayZ but if it has so many hackers its unbearable, I don't want to waste thirty bucks. So my question is should I buy DayZ now, or wait for standalone?

Tl;dr Wait for standalone DayZ, because right now it's too full of hackers?

If you want Arma 2: Combined Ops just for DayZ, then I suggest you wait for the standalone.

• Like 1

Hackers in Arma are pretty rare.

30 bucks just for Combined Ops is worth it, even without Day Z.

DayZ has considerably more hackers that ARMA 2.

I have played ARMA 2 since launch and have never been hacked.

However I recommend that anyone that doesnt have $30 to throw away should not buy a video game at all.

Hello. I am obviously new here. I have a question before I invest thirty dollars in :CO. I have been instructed to wait until DayZ standalone is released to buy it, due to hackers. I enjoy games like DayZ but if it has so many hackers its unbearable, I don't want to waste thirty bucks. So my question is should I buy DayZ now, or wait for standalone?

Tl;dr Wait for standalone DayZ, because right now it's too full of hackers?

Ask yourself what you want to do. Do you want to play the game and fight zombies with some friends or do you want to join high pop servers and PvP. The hacker are almost always on these high pop servers. I spent about a month playing with just friends on low pop servers just to get to know the game. I found no hackers on those servers. Once I hit up high pop for PvP I ran into a few but it wasn't enough to make me quit playing.

I would say go for it. $30 is not that much and Arma 2 it's actually a good game. DayZ, even with all its problems, still one of the best games ever made (or almost made). If you don't like it, there are tons of other mods to play with Arma 2.

Take HL2 mods for example, you pay like 10 bucks for HL2 and then you can play the mods aswell.

Arma 2 is the same case: You get a great game for the price, and also great mods with it. I always recommend my friends who want to play dayz not to wait, becouse Arma 2 is such a good game.

Take HL2 mods for example, you pay like 10 bucks for HL2 and then you can play the mods aswell.

Funny enough, nowadays you don't even need to buy HL2 for the Source SDK. You can just install TF2.. However there is a backfire as some models may or may not be missing, or you might need Episode 2. (See: Nightmare House 2)

I was affraid of hackers too but I only saw 2 hackers (played more than 50 hours).

Seriously, go buy it. The standalone will certainly not be released before 2013.

The standalone will certainly not be released before 2013.

Yes it will.

For me a game like this makes hackers less relevant to spoiling my fun because ... this is perma death, full loot everything is at risk at all times. Starting fresh is the norm and if you are the type of player that gets attached to your stuff then this kind of game probably isn't for you. I have been playing a month now and have gotten my moneys worth.

Hackers in Arma are pretty rare.

30 bucks just for Combined Ops is worth it, even without Day Z.

I beg to differ with you there, i have been playing for less than a week and I have already been teleported and killed several times, been offered hacker loot from boxes that they spawn 3 times, have had at least 2 players spawn behind me in the middle of no where and try to kill me. I have played mostly on two servers and I wish I never bought the game now. I have to say though, the idea behind the mod is brilliant, first 2 days I loved the game, exploring and finding loot, surviving etc, now though it's wearing more than a bit thin. I don't mind dying so don't get me wrong on that front, just hate spending hours gathering stuff to then be teleported and killed, I guess thats how they get their fun out of the game, they must have gotten bored with playing it the old fashioned way.

I bought arma2 just to play DayZ, been playing for about 3 weeks now and have absolutely no regret,

Thing to remember is it IS just a mod so its far from perfect, way i look at it is im contributing to the testing of the dayz standalone, and at the same time getting to enjoy the most immersive game i've ever played,

and i DO get attached to my gear which just makes the whole experience much more tense.

Looking through the forums there definately is a problem with hackers which probably wont get fixed in the Mod but should be much less of an issue in the standalone, but I personally havent had a single encounter with a hacker in 40 hours of gameplay, but i'm probably just lucky. (now ive said that i'm probably going to get turned into a rabbit the next time i log on)

It's a great mod and completely worth it about 2 months ago but with all the hacking lately. It has really made the game unplayable.

75% of my deaths have been due to hacking.

Its a great experience if you don't mind being teleported to the center of the map and killed or if you enjoy a invulnerable player running around shooting your buddies then taking your vehicles or having the fear (thrill) of looting a hacker's corpse and getting banned for having a hacked item by accident.

If you don't mind that then the game is really amazing experience.

Quote from rocket:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[–]rocket2gunsRocket 144 points 24 days

ago

hacking is an ongoing issue. ArmA2 was never designed for what DayZ is putting it through. With DayZ standalone we can address this issue without causing ArmA2 problems, so it can remain the product it is. It is something we will always have to work on, you cannot completely stop hacking.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Essentially dayz is just a mod for arma2 and they cant change arma2 just for the sake of a mod, with the standalone they can start with the bare bones of the game engine and prevent a lot of the scripts/hacks from working.

Edited by Fluxley58

My bro got me this pack for my birthday and I've been playing DayZ ever since.

I know arma II is a great game but the suspense in dayz is amazing.

Best mod idea ever. I look forward to more bugfixes etc to make even more enjoyable than it is now.

having the fear (thrill) of looting a hacker's corpse and getting banned for having a hacked item by accident.

If you don't mind that then the game is really amazing experience.

You can't get banned for picking up a hacked weapon, where has this idea come from? Rocket has even confirmed you will not get banned for this unless you hack the weapon in yourself....

Hello there

Arma2 offers a vast amount of experiences than DAYZ.

There are RPG servers, literally thousands of GOOD quality mods (not lots of crud), Single player Zombie maps, if that's your thing,campaigns galore, different islands with 100s of sq miles to mess about in.

Get the full game plus the expansions to experience it in it's full glory. This series of games are the only ones to never have been deleted from my HDD.

I even went as far as buying VBS1 (the military grade training tool) for a silly amount of cash (when i had a job :) )

It's a phenominal sim.

If you are still not sure try Arma2free, as you can play the MP content (albeit with reduced quality) and see if you can handle the control system as it's not to everyones taste.

Rgds

LoK

I beg to differ with you there, i have been playing for less than a week and I have already been teleported and killed several times, been offered hacker loot from boxes that they spawn 3 times, have had at least 2 players spawn behind me in the middle of no where and try to kill me. I have played mostly on two servers and I wish I never bought the game now. I have to say though, the idea behind the mod is brilliant, first 2 days I loved the game, exploring and finding loot, surviving etc, now though it's wearing more than a bit thin. I don't mind dying so don't get me wrong on that front, just hate spending hours gathering stuff to then be teleported and killed, I guess thats how they get their fun out of the game, they must have gotten bored with playing it the old fashioned way.

I'm talking about in vanilla Arma 2, not DayZ.

Been on less than 10 mins, hacker ports in behind me with an Axe and god mode and a zombie skin, kills me. Don't buy it, I love this game but i have only had it for 6 days and have seen many hackers. I paid £27 for it, i think game hacking should be a crime, like piracy, it ruins others enjoyment and puts people off buying game companies software. I guess I'll give it another go but if another hacker takes me out I'll not play anymore! Don't play on UK 278

Don't buy it, I love this game but i have only had it for 6 days and have seen many hackers.

and how many of those hackers have you seen while you weren't playing DayZ?

I'll just point out the obvious:

arma 2 and the mod are here and now

the stand-alone is somewhere off in the future, and dare I say maybe never (not to be 'negative', but it's just how I think about things. you're not promised tomorrow...)