Strategos (DayZ)

Semi Perma Death.

I died last night and lost my goodies, but luckily my teammate was there and drove all my stuff to pick me up in our car. Within 10 minutes I had all my stuff back. In fact it was as if i never died at all.

This got me thinking, about Dayz and it's perma death paradigm.

Every-time someone moans or suggests something on the forum you see a barrage of "man up its a survival game" etc . But of course it isn't a hardcore survival game with perma death , if you have buddies , teamspeak, some tents etc. Your character, YOU are immortal and persistent. When you die all you lose is a little time and some stats. You run straight back to your friends and they greet you as the same person.

So in reality you don't actually start from scratch. Once you are established on a server you are no longer (AS) mortal.

Now this isn't necessarily an idea I think would be fun or good for the game but i thought I would throw it out there for discussion.

What if when you died you were blocked from the server you died on for a certain amount of time. So you HAD to start afresh on a different server and build up new relationships etc, as if you really were a new survivor.

You see im not convinced all this clan stuff is really good for the game as a whole. I know people want to play with their mates and horde all the good stuff in fortified camps. But there are a few issues , those ive described above. But also the more you achieve in the game and the more time and effort you put into it the more frustrating the game becomes, when you actually set yourself a goal to achieve , like "repair this vehicle" or "get 5 of us to meet up in so and so town" the game becomes pretty hard work.

The best fun I have in the game is treating each life like a stand alone adventure. Getting some good gear, surviving for a while. Dying in some hilarious way and starting again.

Like i say im not sure this actually a good idea, I mean working with your buddies all on TS is good fun as well. I just wonder if it would be truer to the spirit of the game if you have to find new friends to work with and couldn't just go back and get all your stuff straight after dying and carry on as if nothing had happened.

+1 excellent post!

This would be a perfect compromise to the controversial death timeout debate - say a 2 hour (or longer) ban on the server you died on to prevent 'loot immortality' and other clan-related BS.... I'm all for this.

Uh, no thanks.. hey lets pay money to play a game with friends.. (dies from whatever and cant play with/without friends now) oh wait, now i cant.

Dumb idea, please dont do it.

You'd still be able to play the game, if playing with friends is so important you'll need to be a bit more careful won't you.

If this ever takes effect, im just going to kill everyone, spawn camp everything and have the server to myself and take all the loot, until it is reversed.

Well I did point out I was unsure, and that it was more of a debate.

Dayz is pushing a variety of gaming preconceptions and is doing pretty well so far. I wonder if the standard mode everyone has of team up with all your buddies is the best thing for this mod. The scene is post apocalypse , everyone you know is dead, your a lone survivor thrown into a world of pain and death. But you have a whole team of buddies! You can talk to and get rescued by anytime you want! The two things don't really fit do they.

Obviously I expect alot of peoples initial reactions to be as quick fire and one dimensional as Woofed there but im sure some of you have brains and can talk about it :)

Remember if you told people in some other game , hey when you die your going to lose everything and have to start again you'd get the same reaction. But people tried Dayz and found that it works, and works really well!

It's really hard to predict the outcome of design decisions in this environment, look at the bandit skin debacle.

Hey bullfrog, didn't see your post sorry. Not trying to steal your idea, just have some debate. Like I said im not even sure it's a good idea myself lol

I died last night and lost my goodies' date=' but luckily my teammate was there and drove all my stuff to pick me up in our car. Within 10 minutes I had all my stuff back. In fact it was as if i never died at all.

This got me thinking, about Dayz and it's perma death paradigm.

Every-time someone moans or suggests something on the forum you see a barrage of "man up its a survival game" etc . But of course it isn't a hardcore survival game with perma death , if you have buddies , teamspeak, some tents etc. Your character, YOU are immortal and persistent. When you die all you lose is a little time and some stats. You run straight back to your friends and they greet you as the same person.

So in reality you don't actually start from scratch. Once you are established on a server you are no longer (AS) mortal.

Now this isn't necessarily an idea I think would be fun or good for the game but i thought I would throw it out there for discussion.

What if when you died you were blocked from the server you died on for a certain amount of time. So you HAD to start afresh on a different server and build up new relationships etc, as if you really were a new survivor.

You see im not convinced all this clan stuff is really good for the game as a whole. I know people want to play with their mates and horde all the good stuff in fortified camps. But there are a few issues , those ive described above. But also the more you achieve in the game and the more time and effort you put into it the more frustrating the game becomes, when you actually set yourself a goal to achieve , like "repair this vehicle" or "get 5 of us to meet up in so and so town" the game becomes pretty hard work.

The best fun I have in the game is treating each life like a stand alone adventure. Getting some good gear, surviving for a while. Dying in some hilarious way and starting again.

Like i say im not sure this actually a good idea, I mean working with your buddies all on TS is good fun as well. I just wonder if it would be truer to the spirit of the game if you have to find new friends to work with and couldn't just go back and get all your stuff straight after dying and carry on as if nothing had happened.

[/quote']

Worst suggestion ever... So you basically have X numbers of tries, x being the number of servers.

This is a game, and getting perma banned from a server after you die sucks because there will be spawn campers... People don't give a shit about others if they don't know them so it's okay for them to kill... How will this fix the DM without ruining your account and get banned from all servers? Well a 30 minute - 2 hour timeout is acceptable, but permanent ban is not.

NOT SUPPORTED

Hey bullfrog' date=' didn't see your post sorry. Not trying to steal your idea, just have some debate. Like I said im not even sure it's a good idea myself lol

[/quote']

It's cool. I don't mind if my idea's are stolen that much, as long as the suggestion get's out there ;)

I don't see anything wrong with a friend picking up your gear (keep in mind they have to have room in the first place).

Worst suggestion ever... So you basically have X numbers of tries' date=' x being the number of servers.

This is a game, and getting perma banned from a server after you die sucks because there will be spawn campers... People don't give a shit about others if they don't know them so it's okay for them to kill... How will this fix the DM without ruining your account and get banned from all servers? Well a 30 minute - 2 hour timeout is acceptable, but permanent ban is not.

NOT SUPPORTED

What a bundle of contradiction :) Nobody is talking about perma-bans, so your caps-lock conclusion should actually be: SUPPORTED

I really like this idea, but I guess it comes down to what experice you want when you play this game, authentic survival horror, co-op, or a no-holes barred experence - its all fine. It comes down to choice.

So my solution: Let server admins designate if they have death timers or not. Those that like it can join them, those that don't find another.

Meh, I dont mind losing my gear but I would like to stay on the same server as my friends instead of either making them switch server or going to play on my own even though I happen to be online with my friends.

This is not because I want a competetive edge over anyone, but rather that I like to share the dayz experience with my mates.

IMHO you are losing sight of what the problem is, which is the fact that you can effortlessly pick up the items that you spent hours collecting just by legging it across chernarus for 10-20mins.

Counter-proposal: Make it impossible to loot your own dead body.

Of course there would still be ways to get a hold of your stuff again, but it would become a major pain in the ass.

I don't see anything wrong with a friend picking up your gear (keep in mind they have to have room in the first place).

There is more to it then that. honestly it's not about loot, it's about knowledge.

when you die in the real world. (let's say you do come back as another person like you do in DayZ) When you come back, you don't remember anything from your past life.

You don't know where the bandits are

You don't know where your past life died

You don't know where your friends are

etc.

etc.

etc.

in dayZ YOU do not die, only your avatar.

This should be in place to let the "world" turn a little bit before we hop back in to it so you don't know exactly where every thing is. It will mimic "death" in real life, and give the game a little more authenticity on the subject.

Give the game more of a Unkown factor, and it will make life for important to players.

I'm up for this

After all... It is an Anti-Game

I'm not sure if such a chanage can be made with the way the server browser currently works

Im sorry but I cannot fathom having to go through a list of servers and picking a different one each time I die. How would the server browser even let you know which servers you couldn't join at that time? Also, what is to stop your friend from leaving the current server and following you to the next? Do you even think you and your friend would be playing together a week after this type of idea was implemented? There is already a steep penalty for death and just because you managed to grab a car in that instance does not mean you have one all the time. Think of all the times you've been on foot and then died. This happened to my friend the other night. I had to drop half my gear to carry his m14 and we both were shot at and aggro'd zombies in our haste to meet up. I for one always feel infinitely more vulnerable when someone I play with dies. Now, if Rocket wanted to have a separate "difficulty" for the game where there is actual permadeath then more power to you.

I think people forget that when you die, you spawn with a terrible pistol and there are tons of obstacles between you and whoever you are playing with.

I love this idea, but it would be really bad for people that get spawn killed. Maybe there can be some kind of safety, like if you die in the first 5 minutes of being logged in you don't get the cool down period, I dunno. Neat idea though, will make people more cautious.

"I think people forget that when you die, you spawn with a terrible pistol and there are tons of obstacles between you and whoever you are playing"

Well your about to spawn with no pistol LOL plus i can get from the coast back to the North airfield in less than half an hour and loot my own body or get my mates to get my stuff. Or if they drive down then I can be back to exactly where I was in 10 minutes. As if I never died at all.

Kophka I like the cool down period to stop people spawn camping on the shore line.

As for playing with your mates. I like playing with my mates too , but I wonder is this right for Dayz? As it stand its KOS pretty much , but if you didnt have a group of mates on TS, and you HAD to make new friends every time you died. Maybe the game would be more social.

"Also, what is to stop your friend from leaving the current server and following you to the next?"

Tents and vehicles ?

" Do you even think you and your friend would be playing together a week after this type of idea was implement"

No

A very very interesting idea. I definitely think that it is worth a look, and maybe a trial to see how it affects and is received by players. I think that a logical next step for this would be that your character can't switch servers at all.

It would be interesting to see some statistics on players who are actually able to loot their own bodies and also how many people are actually driving around in vehicles. If they wanted to implement a mechanic where you are unable to loot your own body, that would be fine by me. But I can state without a shadow of a doubt that me and the group of guys I play with would loot a friends corpse, and all log off to find another server with them. I enjoy this game solo but it is infinitely more enjoyable when playing with a few friends and this mechanic seems aimed squarely at team play.

Keep in mind that while this game is supposed to be realistic and brutal, the game already gives into gameplay mechanics over realism when it needs to. The morphine being an easy example.

"I think people forget that when you die' date=' you spawn with a terrible pistol and there are tons of obstacles between you and whoever you are playing"

Well your about to spawn with no pistol LOL plus i can get from the coast back to the North airfield in less than half an hour and loot my own body or get my mates to get my stuff. Or if they drive down then I can be back to exactly where I was in 10 minutes. As if I never died at all.

Kophka I like the cool down period to stop people spawn camping on the shore line.

As for playing with your mates. I like playing with my mates too , but I wonder is this right for Dayz? As it stand its KOS pretty much , but if you didnt have a group of mates on TS, and you HAD to make new friends every time you died. Maybe the game would be more social.

[/quote']

Would you want to sit and click connect over and over when there are two thousand people who are linked to one 50 person server?

A very very interesting idea. I definitely think that it is worth a look' date=' and maybe a trial to see how it affects and is received by players. I think that a logical next step for this would be that your character can't switch servers at all.

[/quote']

"But I can state without a shadow of a doubt that me and the group of guys I play with would loot a friends corpse, and all log off to find another server with them."

What about that helicopter you had finally built? :) Or maybe you wouldn't be allowed to swap until you die?

" I enjoy this game solo but it is infinitely more enjoyable when playing with a few friends and this mechanic seems aimed squarely at team play. "

Yeah me too, what i'm saying is that maybe.... just maybe the game would be better if you were untethered from the safety net of your mates and you had to make new allies from the survivors you met in the game.

It's food for though anyway.

A very very interesting idea. I definitely think that it is worth a look' date=' and maybe a trial to see how it affects and is received by players. I think that a logical next step for this would be that your character can't switch servers at all.

[/quote']

I agree with this 100% as well. Server hopping is a huge problem right now, and needs to be addressed. Would be neat if your character was only saved on it's "Home" server, and if you hopped to another (like if your home server was down, or you were waiting for the death cool down) you had to start with a new character on the coast. It's not that huge an imposition, and something really needs to be done about server hopping.