Sign in to follow this  
Marshmallow (DayZ)

Stealth Suggestion

One thing I've always been kind of bothered about in DayZ is how it's quieter to move through a forest of dry, brittle leaves than a meadow of plush, green grass. If anyone has ever spent time in the woods, you know that an armadillo bolting through the woods 50 feet away sounds like a wild boar charging through a china shop.

I think players, zombies, and other fauna should generate much louder noise and attract more attention than they currently do. This of course would change when the weather is rainy and those leaves are no longer cracking under your feet. And of course pine forests would sound different than deciduous forests.

Any thoughts?

• Like 3

i've spent time in the woods, but i've never encountered an armadillo...

• Like 1

LOL, not in game, but I've encountered armadillos in Florida when I used to spend time at a hunting camp. Animals can sound larger than they really are when they move through fallen leaves!

Edited by Marshmallow
  • Like 1

The idea is good and currently walking on roads is way louder than walking on grass, so It is clearly possible to assign different volumes to different surfaces in the existing system. The issue of course is one of priority, I like this idea, but I can think of a lot of things I would want to see first.

he's talking about real life!!! :P

The idea is good and currently walking on roads is way louder than walking on grass, so It is clearly possible to assign different volumes to different surfaces in the existing system. The issue of course is one of priority, I like this idea, but I can think of a lot of things I would want to see first.

I've been thinking about how suits and clothing should affect the zombie's ability to detect a player.

A player in civilian clothing would get a bit of a bonus to stealth while a player in a ghillie would get a big up in how much visible they are if they are in an urban setting. Camo clothing would be the middle ground.

A guy clad in black cloth would ba harder for a zombie to spot if he's crawling across a street.

A bush crawling across a street would stand out MORE than simply zooming across.

Depends on your footwear as well. If there are options in the Day Z standalone to have different shoes/boots then wearing ballet shoes on the road would produce minimal sound as opposed to military boots.