Obsolescence

Stop saying "friendly" and immediately trusting me

I find it funny that people go on about how easy it is to get kitted up but then act like being shot playing the friendly game is the end of the world.

• Like 4

Or how about, just don't say friendly? Then they start running, give you a moving target? The fun is in the chase my friend!

I'm not encouraging bandits but saying you're friendly and shooting someone in the back is just cowardice, tell them you'll kill them :) .

• Like 3

TLDR: i'm a liar with no honor, avoid me in game and in real life.

• Like 4

I just experienced the mentality of 90% of players in this game... I'm at nortwest airfield, have all sorts of awesome gear, and then i see a guy killing zombies with a hatchet (i guess he just dropped it to be silent) but i deside not to be a fuck retard and kill him so i went on, and then a minute later he shoots me in the back... That's just how awesome people that play this game is.. Sadly. Would be so awesome if atleast most people wouldnt be total retards and actually not just spray you down the second they see u, and maybe think: "That guy can maybe help me out and we can team up" instead of: "OMG there's another guy and he has a gun! I need to kill him instantly not even asking if the guy is friendly, because he's not" What if that guy actually was friendly, and maybe they could team up and be friends... It's sad :(

• Like 2

I just experienced the mentality of 90% of players in this game... I'm at nortwest airfield, have all sorts of awesome gear, and then i see a guy killing zombies with a hatchet (i guess he just dropped it to be silent) but i deside not to be a fuck retard and kill him so i went on, and then a minute later he shoots me in the back... That's just how awesome people that play this game is.. Sadly. Would be so awesome if atleast most people wouldnt be total retards and actually not just spray you down the second they see u, and maybe think: "That guy can maybe help me out and we can team up" instead of: "OMG there's another guy and he has a gun! I need to kill him instantly not even asking if the guy is friendly, because he's not" What if that guy actually was friendly, and maybe they could team up and be friends... It's sad :(

That's purely bad play on your part...

If you're going to let someone live then keep an eye on them, omg... You can't just assume people are friendly at the airfield. How did you even make it that far north?!

• Like 1

I don't trust people on the spot when they call friendly, but your insistence that killing on sight is the only valid choice seems ill founded. I'm a hero, and I don't shoot on sight unless you're a bandit. The smart play isn't always to kill indiscriminately, but keep your wits about you when you meet a non-hostile.

Same for me, except I dont shoot even bandits on sight, only wookies with scoped rifles.

And I'm no hero, if I need to kill someone to survive, I will do it, even if its just for beans to satisfy my bleeding hunger.

• Like 1

Far from friendly but I won't endanger myself to have a firefight unless I'm sure I have the advantage or I have no other choice.

• Like 3

Han Solo was friendly, but he certainly shot first.

But in all seriousness, I am a solo player (no pun intended), and just avoid other players when I see them. I don't want to detract from their play experience. It's frustrating enough learning how to play with a clunky interface, then eventually getting good at avoiding zombies, and finally finding the stuff you need just to survive so you can go look for better stuff!

• Like 2

TLDR: i'm a liar with no honor, avoid me in game and in real life.

Did those "friendlies" I shot in the head have honor? I swear I swiped almost every item off their dead corpse but I never saw any honor.

And I'm not a coward, I'm an opportunist. When you say, "friendly," I hear, "if you say friendly back to me, I'll turn around and let you shoot me in the head and take all my stuff."

I never had any intention other than killing you and taking your shit. When you say, "friendly," it just presents me with a less risky method to the same end. A coward would run away. A coward would say, "friendly," because they're scared of losing their shit. I was perfectly content to have a firefight and risk death. You just provided me with a better opportunity.

There is a trail of 'honorable' corpses in my wake, therefor, from my perspective 'honor' is not a selected trait in a post-apocalyptic zombie hellscape.

If the one you see running isn't in Skype, Vent, Teamspeak, Mumble or something like it with me, its pretty much shoot ask later. I dont trust my own shadow on this game.

I believe most are shoot on sight. Its just the scary nature of the game. Permadeath does things to a gamer lol.

For me, I look at it differently. Finding and teaming up with someone is an added challenge upping the difficulty level. I could play some scripted, linear game like Diablo3 where I can buy my gear and finish the game in no time but make our own story here and can play our own rules. :)

Then again, a friendly like myself won't be trusted by most. But I enjoy meeting new players from around the world and chatting while we find some beans together. It makes my experience all the better.

• Like 3

For the fourth time since I've been playing, a player said "friendly" to me. Sensing sincerity in their voice and actions, I said "friendly" back... and then proceeded to shoot them in the head when they weren't looking because they had things I needed (this situation only seems to occur when I'm a new spawn with nothing).

I'm writing this as a warning to new players. Just because someone (like me) has the survivor skin and not the bandit skin does not make them less dangerous. In game, I don't need your help and I don't care for your company. If you can't survive and equip yourself on your own then you could only drag me down. Even if you are self-sufficient, I have no need or use for you because I have no trouble equipping myself solo.

Until Rocket finds some way to make keeping you alive worth my while, expect to be shot on sight, unless you declare yourself friendly -- in which case I will take my time shooting you in the head so I don't have to listen to you whine and complain about it.

Welcome to DayZ. Never trust anyone you don't know in real life. Oh, and bring on the flames :)

P.S. This isnt a guilt thread. I was just hoping to warn new players that people like me are out there and your current strategies are not accounting for my bullets that are ending up in your brains.

Did those "friendlies" I shot in the head have honor? I swear I swiped almost every item off their dead corpse but I never saw any honor.

And I'm not a coward, I'm an opportunist. When you say, "friendly," I hear, "if you say friendly back to me, I'll turn around and let you shoot me in the head and take all my stuff.

I never had any intention other than killing you and taking your shit. When you say, "friendly," it just presents me with a less risky method to the same end. A coward would run away. A coward would say, "friendly," because they're scared of losing their shit. I was perfectly content to have a firefight and risk death. You just provided me with a better opportunity.

There is a trail of 'honorable' corpses in my wake, therefor, from my perspective 'honor' is not a selected trait in a post-apocalyptic zombie hellscape.

Unimpressive

• Like 4

You know notSLICK, it would be easy to dismiss OP as a basement dwelling, discount sociopath with a neckbeard and questionable hygiene, but it misses an essential truth: namely that in reality there are people who are monsters. True game theory has provided an evolutionary forcing mechanism that encourages mutualism, but some people are monsters irrespective. The problem is, in DayZ they respawn.

Edited by sp86
  • Like 5

You know notSLICK, it would be easy to dismiss OP as a basement dwelling, discount sociopath with a neckbeard and questionable hygiene, but it misses an essential truth: namely that in reality there are people who are monsters. True game theory has provided an evolutionary forcing mechanism that encourages mutualism, but some people are monsters irrespective. The problem is, in DayZ they respawn.

Again, I'm not a monster, I'm a pragmatic opportunist. I have no philisophical or moral qualms with cooperation or mutualism. I've played 900+ hours of L4D/2 in my lifetime (a game where cooperation and teamwork is essential). The problem is that in DayZ there is no benefit to cooperation with strangers. If my goal is to live as long as possible or kill those who try to kill me, I literally have nothing to gain from grouping with strangers except an early death.

I partially think this is because survival is too easy and communication is too difficult. Nobody who has played more than a couple days dies from starvation or dehydration, and randomly bumping into strangers is not a good way to find like-minded individuals. Also, being able to change your player name at any time negates the ability to build a reputation as an asshole who should be shot on sight.

If in my experience, playing nice with others benefitted me more, believe me, I would be doing it.

Strangers in a defensive posture KOS, even if you choose not to group with them you can effectively effect a more relaxed affect by just letting them go on their way.

Strangers in a defensive posture KOS, even if you choose not to group with them you can effectively effect a more relaxed affect by just letting them go on their way.

True, and I don't go out of my way to kill every person I see. That would only increase my risks. The situations I'm referring to in the OP only occur when I'm a new spawn and I meet someone with some gear.

You should ride the taxi, I give gear away.

The OP and his ilk are just run-of-the-mill internet twits who use internet anonymity to act in the lowest manner. Having said that, they are integral to the game experience as a whole. What we can hope for is a system in the stand alone that puts a cost on this behavior. The lack of consequence is the only problem that I see with these folks as it stands now. Any suggestions or thoughts on how to assess consequences to actions of amoral sociopaths?

The OP and his ilk are just run-of-the-mill internet twits who use internet anonymity to act in the lowest manner. Having said that, they are integral to the game experience as a whole. What we can hope for is a system in the stand alone that puts a cost on this behavior. The lack of consequence is the only problem that I see with these folks as it stands now. Any suggestions or thoughts on how to assess consequences to actions of amoral sociopaths?

Well obviously a "humanity" number doesn't make any difference. Have you considered that perhaps in a real zombie apocalypse, there may be no consequences for the actions of amoral sociopaths?

Edited by Obsolescence

I met a guy called lucki after the whole server died from a hacker and we headed to Balota all the way from Kamenka and he broken his legs as he seemed like a cool guy I went to get him some morphine from Cherno as it was close-ish and after that we went to cherno and looted it, heading to Elektro we stop in a barn and I ask for a blood transfusion so he just shoots me in the head with his AKM. I played like 2 hours with this guy but wasn't too bothered.

Well obviously a "humanity" number doesn't make any difference. Have you considered that perhaps in a real zombie apocalypse, there may be no consequences for the actions of amoral sociopaths?

Evolutionary forces dictate that those that focus on individual survival at the expense of a group are an evolutionary dead end. Humanity evolved to hate the other. If you attack a group you become the other, and all of a sudden those nice fluffy care bears who work together to build a community to survive come rip you apart. It was true at the dawn of man, it'd be true during a massive die-off.

• Like 5

I love it when a kid does this. and then starts to cry when he turns his back and im hacking away at his head with my axe. lovely way to get your first gun from spawn :)

There was this french kid with an akm. he was going to shoot me but he needed blood so he said friendly and lead me to hospital to get him a blood bag, he placed a blood bag on the floor and went prone and looked away to guard, this was my time to pull out my axe from my tool belt and reload it. i love some people ;)

...aaand this is why you can't even trust people who say they're friendly. So there's actually no possible way to find actual friendlies, as even the bandits say they're friendly and act so until they get in a cheap shot.

And OP actually played along and acted friendly and travelled with him and THEN took the 0% challenge shot at his head... "wow" ;P

Makes me sad. But oh well, I guess all this playing solo will eventually make me a bandit too, as there's absolutely no reason to try and make friends as that's the reward you get for it.

BUT I might still mention that I've met a total random hero in the middle of the night and teaming up with him benefitted me waaay more than shooting him would've. He was in need of a bloodtransfusion, so he seeked me out and had been following me from the dark for quite a while, figuring out I'm not that hostile.

He contacted me once I was in a bad spot, un-armed me, helped me out, gave me nvg's and took me on a boatride. On the island, he had 3 tents.. from which he gave me a ghillie suit, L85 thermal scoped sniper a tent, gps, rangefinders and a silenced pistol. And to be honest, it would've been a total dickmove to shoot him in the back of the head after he had armed me. Honestly, I gringe even thinking about me doing that, since I, personally, don't enjoy making others feel as annoyed as possible. (But the internet has proved that there are ALOT of people who enjoy the oppourtunity to make everyone else feel bad while anonymous... I don't want to do anything like that even if I "can get away with it")

We played until he went offline and I "served" as his follower as a thank you for gearing me up and that's waaaaaay more fun than I've had surviving alone and endlessly running around lootspots avoiding people like OP.

Edited by sarcasm83

...aaand this is why you can't even trust people who say they're friendly. So there's actually no possible way to find actual friendlies, as even the bandits say they're friendly and act so until they get in a cheap shot.

Makes me sad. But oh well, I guess all this playing solo will eventually make me a bandit too, as there's absolutely no reason to try and make friends as that's the reward you get for it.

Get some REAL LIFE friends and play with them?

Mumma always said "dont talk to strangers"