Sign in to follow this  
tobiassolem

Entrenching tool, etc.

Does the entrenching tool actually work? I've been able to build sandbox-hinders without it, and I don't see any other use for it. Wouldn't it be more appropriate if you needed empty sandbags + entrenching tool + a pile of sand (eg. at the beach) to fill the sandbags, and then had to haul them to wherever you needed to place them?

Is it possible to actually cut barbed wire? I've seen it everywhere, but I have yet to find any wire cutters (they must be super rare), I wasn't able to cut the wires with a toolbox (which I guess is only used for repairing vehicles). Regardless, barbed wire-syndrome seem to be omni-present, people are using them as a means to block entrances to buildings rather than setting up defensive positions, and with every zombie having noclip, you can't block zombies off either.

Beyond the obvious explanation (this is alpha, etc.) - is this the intended use for these items? Or is there something I just haven't figured out yet?

you cut wire with toolbox

the option is on the middle post. scroll wheel and move until it says cat1 then after a second the option to remove will pop up

and yes theyre known as griefing tools.

i think bullets cant go through sandbags either, so theyre good to watch doors

Edited by Buffjesus
  • Like 1

I understand that the wirefencing and sandbags were put in as part of an experiment to see what people would do in terms of building.

But saying as though the zombies can walk straight through them all, it was pretty obvious that these were just goona be used a griefing tools.

That's just about all i've seen them being used for to be honest.

• Like 2

the option is on the middle post. scroll wheel and move until it says cat1 then after a second the option to remove will pop up

I've yet to see the option in spite of carrying a toolbox. Guess I've been unlucky or sth.

I've yet to see the option in spite of carrying a toolbox. Guess I've been unlucky or sth.

the barbed wire on my old home server would come back on reset so i had to remove tons.

option is only on the middle post

I've been able to remove wire from looking up and down the other posts, sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I found an entrenching tool, I've yet to find sandbags because it's completely worthless right now.

You cannot cut a wire - you can only remove it - which has totally different effect.

Beyond the obvious explanation (this is alpha, etc.) - is this the intended use for these items? Or is there something I just haven't figured out yet?

I think Rocket didn't figure this one out yet and those tools are there just to fill the toolbelt space... methinks...

Pretty much wire, sandbags and hedgehogs are there only to annoy players and be a source of bloody glitches. Zombies walk through them like through air...

Edited by mech

I understand that the wirefencing and sandbags were put in as part of an experiment to see what people would do in terms of building.

But saying as though the zombies can walk straight through them all, it was pretty obvious that these were just goona be used a griefing tools.

That's just about all i've seen them being used for to be honest.

The last time I came across a sandbag wall was in a fire station and the zombie walked around it.

You cannot cut a wire - you can only remove it - which has totally different effect.

I think Rocket didn't figure this one out yet and those tools are there just to fill the toolbelt space... methinks...

i cant tell if this kid is serious or not

Does the entrenching tool actually work? I've been able to build sandbox-hinders without it, and I don't see any other use for it. Wouldn't it be more appropriate if you needed empty sandbags + entrenching tool + a pile of sand (eg. at the beach) to fill the sandbags, and then had to haul them to wherever you needed to place them?

Is it possible to actually cut barbed wire? I've seen it everywhere, but I have yet to find any wire cutters (they must be super rare), I wasn't able to cut the wires with a toolbox (which I guess is only used for repairing vehicles). Regardless, barbed wire-syndrome seem to be omni-present, people are using them as a means to block entrances to buildings rather than setting up defensive positions, and with every zombie having noclip, you can't block zombies off either.

You do not need the toolbox for repairing vehicles. You just need the parts. The entrenching tool is useful in Arma2. You can use it to build a three sided foxhole that you can lay in. Would be nice if that was the case in DayZ. I suggested in another thread about hiding bodies that in order to hide a body you would need the entrenching tool. Other then removing tank traps, sandbags and barbwire ( toolbox needed but all things removed return at server restart so whats the point) ) I have yet to find much use for these tool items other then looking nice in your tool belt.

You do not need the toolbox for repairing vehicles. You just need the parts.

I have had the parts and not been able to repair the car with out the toolbox. You sure about this?

I have had the parts and not been able to repair the car with out the toolbox. You sure about this?

Positive, i have repaired 15+ vehicles including a helo and no toolbox was on me.

Positive, i have repaired 15+ vehicles including a helo and no toolbox was on me.

That is craziness. I have repaired four atv, a choppa, two trucks and two urls and it wouldnt let me do nothing with out the tool box. the option doesnt even show up on the scroll menu.

There is a terrific DayZ wiki. You only need to type DayZ Wiki into any major search engine to find it.

I'll do it for you.

http://www.dayzwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

You can also type "DayZ wiki" and then add whatever tool, item, or vehicle that is troubling you.

DayZ wiki wire fencing kit produced:

http://www.dayzwiki....ire_Fencing_Kit

This one had a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IAIlZ3n6EwA