Sign in to follow this  
that 1 stranger

A Different Clothing Skin Idea

So I hear quite a bit about how the bandit skin and hero skins are useful or not useful. To me, neither one is useful because they don't give you any benefit regardless of your humanity. Like a model citizen, I thought about it and came up with an idea. I haven't see anything in the forums like it (and this time I actually did a search!)

Instead of having humanity, let's just change the thing to experience. You get experience by killing zombies, killing players, killing animals, giving transfusions, using epi pens, bandaging a wound, eating food, drinking soda, putting up fences, fixing up vehicles, and whatever else is activated by the mouse wheel in default controls (except for opening and closing doors, of course). As you gain more experience playing with that character, the character will actually start to look more and more badass. For example, replace that god awful baseball cap with a beanie or skull cap. Maybe put some gloves on. How about a bandoleer to replace those thigh packs. All of these things just stack on top of each other to slowly make one bad ass mother fucker. None of this would change inventory or add any sort of bonus to your character. It would just make him look like he's actually knows what he is doing.

If you like the idea, I request that you put down some ideas for clothing and gear that can be worn on your characters civilian clothing to make them look more awesome.

PS

Put some damn gloves on the gillie suit while you're at it. It's kind of stupid looking to see a bush running around with hands that are more visible than the face :P

• Like 2

actually on the note of the gillie, put some green boots on him, the big shin high black boots give it away

why not just let players create they're own guy?

Players cannot create they are own guy because it spoils the immersion of being a survivor. It's essentially saying "You are one of the precious few people to survive the zombie apocalypse. You have been plunged into a desperate fight for survival in a world where the living envy the dead. Your eventual doom is a certainty, the spectre of death stalks you from every corner. What would you like to wear?"

Edited by Bribase
  • Like 1

actually on the note of the gillie, put some green boots on him, the big shin high black boots give it away

Actually, I think the dead giveaway is when you see a piece of football field running around lol.

Seriously though, you're right. The ghillie suit isn't the easiest thing to spot, but the black boots are a dead giveaway when you're close.

Another suggestion I have for the ghillie is to hump the back to represent the backpack. Yeah, it's more likely to get you spotted, but it's also more realistic. A person in a ghillie suit is already hard enough to spot as it is from a distance.

----------

why not just let players create they're own guy?

A full-blown clothing customization tool will probably be in the standalone. Even then, I wouldn't want too much power in it. I'd like to have access to change things as I would level just to make myself more unique.

----------

Players cannot create they are own guy because it spoils the immersion of being a survivor. It's essentially saying "You are one of the precious few people to survive the zombie apocalypse. You have been plunged into a desperate fight for survival in a world where the living envy the dead. Your eventual doom is a certainty, the spectre of death stalks you from every corner. What would you like to wear?"

It can also say, "You are one of the few people that were prepared for the zombie apocalypse. As your reward, I grant you the power of making a fashion statement for the tactical community." I don't think it would take away from the immersion if you got to choose some basic-looking gear and then unlocked more as you gained more experience. However, making yourself look like a badass on the becach with zero experience would defeat the purpose of the system and take away from the immersion. I would also be afraid of spending more time customizing my character to look cool rather than actually playing in bat country. The argument can go either way in my opinion. To me, I would just like to see my character evolve and look more like a badass the longer I kept him alive. That would be an amazing reward that most players would like to achieve.

• Like 1

Actually, I think the dead giveaway is when you see a piece of football field running around lol.

Seriously though, you're right. The ghillie suit isn't the easiest thing to spot, but the black boots are a dead giveaway when you're close.

Another suggestion I have for the ghillie is to hump the back to represent the backpack. Yeah, it's more likely to get you spotted, but it's also more realistic. A person in a ghillie suit is already hard enough to spot as it is from a distance.

----------

A full-blown clothing customization tool will probably be in the standalone. Even then, I wouldn't want too much power in it. I'd like to have access to change things as I would level just to make myself more unique.

----------

It can also say, "You are one of the few people that were prepared for the zombie apocalypse. As your reward, I grant you the power of making a fashion statement for the tactical community." I don't think it would take away from the immersion if you got to choose some basic-looking gear and then unlocked more as you gained more experience. However, making yourself look like a badass on the becach with zero experience would defeat the purpose of the system and take away from the immersion. I would also be afraid of spending more time customizing my character to look cool rather than actually playing in bat country. The argument can go either way in my opinion. To me, I would just like to see my character evolve and look more like a badass the longer I kept him alive. That would be an amazing reward that most players would like to achieve.

I just saw this post completely agree. how many people are preparing right for this day in real life. Think about there was a show about these people. So I think that it would be great to have combination of customization and level up. you do the initisal setup and the you get to choose what goes on your character cause personally I love the drop leg pouches versus a bandolier. And just saying im all for some B.A. military camies and vest and all that stuff.

• Like 1

Instead of having humanity, let's just change the thing to experience. You get experience by killing zombies, killing players, killing animals, giving transfusions, using epi pens, bandaging a wound, eating food, drinking soda, putting up fences, fixing up vehicles, and whatever else is activated by the mouse wheel in default controls (except for opening and closing doors, of course). As you gain more experience playing with that character, the character will actually start to look more and more badass. For example, replace that god awful baseball cap with a beanie or skull cap. Maybe put some gloves on. How about a bandoleer to replace those thigh packs. All of these things just stack on top of each other to slowly make one bad ass mother fucker. None of this would change inventory or add any sort of bonus to your character. It would just make him look like he's actually knows what he is doing.