Sign in to follow this  
Vincents

gtx 570, but only 15-20 fps. What to do?

So I've got a great computer compared to what this game requires I believe. Im running an i7 950, 6gigs ram, gtx 570, so I shouldnt get such low FPS.

Is there anyway to tweak my video options maybe or something thatll put me back up to 100+ like I am in most games? I mean if BF3 I run constantly at 120+ even in giant fights, but I cant even walk down a shore line in this game with more then 20fps, what gives?

Turn HDR Quality to Normal, and Postprocessing to Low (only disables distance blur and ssao on grass). Woila, triple fps.

You should be getting more than 20fps but you're dreaming if you think you need 120+fps, doubt you can even tell the difference between that and 40. You might want to try a driver update, my card is rubbish and I get more than 20fps (assuming you aren't just overstating it).

Man, I'm running an e8500 dual-core, 4gb ram, and a 9800 GTX+ and I'm breezing at 50+ fps on medium setting with a couple turned to low. Check your GPU utilization, see if Arma 2 is even using all of it. You may want to try restarting your computer. Make sure you're also connecting to a good server, if the server itself is lagging, your framerate will drop miserably as well. I've seen some servers where i'm getting 15-20, and others where I'm maxing 50-60.

My experience with frame rates has been very schizophrenic to date, and I think a lot of it depends on the server you're playing on, as opposed to any lack of power in your rig.

One thing I have noticed is that I can be running at a smooth 60FPS, and then it'll drop down to 20. Sure, I think, it might be a lag spike, or a heap of zombies/players around, it won't last. But it will. If the FPS drops, for whatever reason this is, it never returns to what it was previously, even when I'm in the middle of wilderness with nary a zombie in sight. So it might be a memory issue, or maybe I'm still simulating something on my end when I shouldn't be.

Either way, I'm pretty sure it's an optimisation issue as opposed to an issue with your computer. I've read in chat other people have had their FPS tank at around the same time mine has, though that might be coincidence.

You should be getting more than 20fps but you're dreaming if you think you need 120+fps' date=' doubt you can even tell the difference between that and 40. You might want to try a driver update, my card is rubbish and I get more than 20fps (assuming you aren't just overstating it).

[/quote']

Depending on WHAT you're looking at, the human eye can indeed tell the difference between 40fps and 120fps.

One thing I have noticed is that I can be running at a smooth 60FPS' date=' and then it'll drop down to 20. Sure, I think, it might be a lag spike, or a heap of zombies/players around, it won't last. But it will. If the FPS drops, for whatever reason this is, it never returns to what it was previously, even when I'm in the middle of wilderness with nary a zombie in sight.[/quote']

I have an older rig right now (desperately need a better graphics card, especially, but can't quite afford it at the moment) and this is my biggest problem, too! Sometimes when I first spawn in, everything runs alright (as good as I can get it to run after turning everything way down anyway), and then at some point after a few minutes, suddenly starts dragging and going into slideshow mode. If it would only stay the way it is the first few minutes when I first connect to a good, low-lag server, it wouldn't be quite so bad, but it never does. It always starts dropping off and getting all choppy after a few minutes. :s

So I've got a great computer compared to what this game requires I believe. Im running an i7 950' date=' 6gigs ram, gtx 570, so I shouldnt get such low FPS.

Is there anyway to tweak my video options maybe or something thatll put me back up to 100+ like I am in most games? I mean if BF3 I run constantly at 120+ even in giant fights, but I cant even walk down a shore line in this game with more then 20fps, what gives?

[/quote']

By chance, is it a 570M?

I'll give you strange advice, but this definitely works with mine gtx 480 (comparable with gtx 570 card).

Find OLD nvidia drivers. In my case it was 260.99. I has only 20 fps with 301 drivers (1920x1200 resolution), it was quite unplayable, especially with high ping and human opponents. Now I've got 50+ fps with high+ settings.

In your case starting point is 266.58 whql.

I'll give you strange advice' date=' but this definitely works with mine gtx 480 (comparable with gtx 570 card).

Find OLD nvidia drivers. In my case it was 260.99. I has only 20 fps with 301 drivers (1920x1200 resolution), it was quite unplayable, especially with high ping and human opponents. Now I've got 50+ fps with high+ settings.

In your case starting point is 266.58 whql.

[/quote']

Thanks, Ill try the older driver trick an see if that works!

The older the PC, the better the graphics. This game is dated and can't make the full usage of newer rigs. The problem won't go away until the devs fix it themselves

I have a Geforce GT 520m, i5-2430m (I believe it's a dualcore, shoot me if I know), 6GBs Ram.. is 15-20 fps to be expected even with the above modifications to the .bat? I wasn't expecting much from my setup, but Arma single player runs at at least 30 fps on low settings.

Also, if I should be getting more, is there a way to tell if I've correctly applied the above fix? It didn't seem to make a dent.

Disable post processing and turn down HDR + shadows.

Turning shadows to "Normal" puts the load on the CPU. Keeping shadows at High or above keeps the load on the GPU. So, even though it's counter-intuitive, you'll want shadows on High (unless you can turn them right off...can't remember if "Off" is an option for shadows).

Check the control panel' date=' AA/AF is an fps rape.

Use the beta patch/these launch commands.

More info >

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10353&pid=97787#pid97787

-nosplash -world=empty -cpucount=2 -maxmem4096 -shadingQuality=0

-cpucount=2 - Dual Core.

-cpucount=4 - Quadcore.

[/quote']

You missed a = on the maxmem one, but I guess everyone could figure that out by themselves. However, I also wanted to say that there's no use putting 4096 there since 2047 is hardcoded maximum for the engine and anything higher will revert to 2047. Don't ask me why it isn't 2048, but that's the way it is. Just so you don't think Arma 2 will actually use all those 4 gigs because unfortunately it won't. :(

Source: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Startup_Parameters

^Thanks, Tyralion, I wouldn't have figured that out myself! It seems to be running a few frames smoother now that I've fixed the line.

Biggest fps killers are object detail and AA, and to a lesser degree terrain detail.

Disable AA and set object detail to normal or low, and terrain detail to normail or high, then you will prob get 60fps most of the time even in cities with stuff going on.

Hdr and PP etc have zero impact on my rig weather they are set to off or max.

The only ones I saw that made a difference as I said were AA, terrain detail and object detail.

Instead of AA I use these tweaks in .cfg file..

AToC=7;

FXAA=0;

PPAA=3;

PPAA_Level=3;

Also in the launch option "-winxp" made a difference for me but I think it might just be for SLI users?

Same Problem here, only 10-15fps with GTX 570. I have tried everything from "Very Low" to "Very High", AA off, Post Processing Off, Shadows off, etc. Arma II is better playable on "Very High" than DayZ on "Very Low".

phenom x6

8gb ddr3

gtx 570

ssd

Before you do stupid shit, restart your computer. Just turn it off. And back on again. Let us know if this remedies the solution.