cdhames

Whats the point of Humanity?

Seriously, can anyone answer this? General rule of thumb in DayZ is to shoot first and then shoot some more later. Half the time the snipers aren't even looting, they're just sitting on hilltops up-ticking their murder count. I've played for 2 weeks and run across a number of players and "every one" of them has tried to kill me. It's not until a few days ago that I decided to shoot first and then shoot some more later. Every time I've yelled "Friendly" I get greeted with bullets.

So what's the argument here, if any, for Humanity? Is there something coming down the pipes to support penalties for just random murders? If not, I don't really see a reason for it.

Edited by cdhames

Seems like that just encourages random murders. Sure you can try to get a Hero skin but lets face it, it's way more easier to murder folks than it is to save them. Seems fundamentally flawed IMO.

Not to mention that shooting people in self defense will negatively affect your humanity. It's almost impossible to not be a bandit. Especially in situations where your only option is to fight your way out.

The ability to create fortified zones would probably balance the unscrupulous murder system on DayZ. Give survivors somewhere to run to, meet others like them that want to survive/build. You can always team up with some strangers on teamspeak, through forums and such and there's a semblance of protection in that.. but it's hollow really, going outside the game to find this sort of teamwork. I'd really like to see something like fortified zones, where survivors can leave messages for other players, with directions or something. Maybe those zones get taken out by zombies and the survivor is too late, or maybe he finds some temporary salvation.

This seems to be the common element that's really missing in this game. There's really nowhere to run "to".

I know what you're talkng about, was standing somewhere in cherno, I had NO gear and still got sniped, someone wasted a bullet just to get one kill

It gives you a bandit skin for murders, and a hero skin for transfusions and whatnot. Wouldn't worry about it though as it is being removed for now.

Rockets announcement: http://dayzmod.com/f...-to-be-removed/

Read the date on that post. The full bandit skin was already in before. It was taken out because it was deemed useless, but then it was put back in for reasons I still don't understand.

When was the bandit skin put back in? It was removed ages ago, but I've seen heaps of forum discussion lately where people mention it in passing, like everyone knows it was put back in.

I just went and checked the changelog and it's not mentioned. Was it a secret addition to the last patch?

What's the point in humanity? To measure how good of a person you are to your fellow players.

You say it's easier to shoot other players and ask questions later? No one said being a hero would be easy.

The goal is to identify the "good guys" and the "bad guys". Repeat killers get a bandit skin and a made a target for other players, whereas people who help others earn a hero skin, a sign that they help people and may not shoot you on sight.

Now, obvious the system is flawed in some fundamental ways, self-defense kills net negative humanity, bandits can easily spam transfusions with a friend to get a hero skin to seem friendly and get easy kills, among other, but the goal at least is to punish murders and reward helpful players.

As far as I'm aware, there is no benefit other than a slightly modified skin of your player character. You either get to wear a flannel or a scarf depending on your actions. You still have an equal chance of someone shooting you no matter what look they see you in. If people see you in the bandit skin, they are going to shoot you. If they see you in the hero skin, they are going to shoot you. Point is, you're going to be shot at.

I like the idea of having that feature removed unless it gives you some sort of bonus. I have no idea what kind of bonus a bandit would want that a hero wouldn't though. I actually think that humanity should be replaced with experience or something. At each level, your character changes slightly in terms of aesthetics.

Actually, I'm going to go suggest that now. Thanks for making my brain work! :D