Hello guys,

I’m new to DayZ, but I'm loving every second so far.

The metagame aspect of this mod has prompted me to start chronicling my experiences:

http://alldownthedayz.blogspot.com/

However, I’m beginning to realise that my expectations far outweigh my abilities in terms of long term survival.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a UK based RP server, to help maximise the chances of continuing my blogging narrative with the same character. I also want to meet up with other survivors who will feature in the journal.

I've only been around a couple of days, but I’ve already got a lot of stories jotted down.

I have a background story arc that I will be incorporating into future posts, but I find the real magic comes from the spontaneous events that occur in Chernarus. My plan is to visit as many points of interest as possible.

Level with me; what are my odds?

EDIT: thanks for reaching out guys. For further clarity, I want to be able to post the pics from an old Polaroid my char is carrying with him (attached) - so for consistency I can't be respawning all over the map.

post-103463-0-23671900-1346632616_thumb.post-103463-0-38680800-1346632622_thumb.post-103463-0-21697700-1346632635_thumb.post-103463-0-30711300-1346632649_thumb.

Edited by John Smith
  • Like 13

I've actually met alot of friendly people, just make sure you use voice coms so you can say "Friendly" fast.

Not sure about RP servers but i am from the UK and the server i call home is really nice, been alive for two weeks so far. Let me know if you want to hook up :)

I've wanted to make a roleplay server for DayZ, it would be hard to do and would get minged a lot but it is possible.

I have been playing since May and I'm not that bad. Longest life was 15 days and I have never been killed by a cheater (that I know of, of course).

I have died to bad luck and my own stupidity/impatience.

Dying is a big part of DayZ, I would say it is part of the core experience - the thing that sets DayZ apart. It can be frustrating and refreshing at the same time, it's great!

Good luck, you'll need it.

hello there

An interesting idea, but the odds are against you.

Ladders, doors, bushes, all these are out to kill you let alone players and zeds.

The best thing to do is combine anecdotes from several lives into one narrative and work that way, as if you don't your blog may be a very short one.

Good luck!

Rgds

LoK

Just got done reading your first entry on your blog, and I must say it was fantastic. Visceral, tense and all around entertaining, I find myself wanting to read more. Also, I dabble a bit in narrative writing myself and have come up with an interesting idea. Your story chronicles the journey of a survivor new to the wasteland. Perhaps I could begin a thread about a grizzled veteran survivor, to give a bit of juxtaposition to your "babe in the woods" and perhaps even an antagonist to your main character, with the two crossing paths on several occasions. If you're interested in a bit of collaboration, let me know through a PM. If not, then I applaud you for your wonderful story and for inspiring my writing bug again.

Happy Hunting,

Doctor_sloth

(P.S. WRITE MOAR!!!111!!1 :D)

• Like 1

Your odds are terrible, if you manage to stay alive for around 1-2 hours on a HIVE server your doing great, it takes alot of trial and error before your able to survive on your own and avoid all the dangers in DayZ, namely : HACKERS, BANDITS, ALL SORT OF GLITCHES and lastly ZEDS.

If you play in a private server your chances are slighty increased but still rather poor.

You'll die eventually; but compile as many short stories as you can and try to make a fluid progress of them as one single narrative.

Remember in Dayz, small experiences such as exploring a barn can be rather thrilling.

Edited by Hexa88

Okay, so…

Many thanks for your constructive comments guys; you’ve helped to keep my feet on the ground. I think I’ll go with the general consensus and just keep a collection of stories to blend into a progressive narrative.

Pt.2 is now online.

I’ll shortly be uploading pt.3, in which I have my first full-on confrontation with the indigenous population of Chernarus, enjoy a brief encounter with another survivor, and consume a can of sardines in a privy.

[ps. Is this thread on the right board?]

Edited by John Smith
  • Like 1

most excellent narrative! my beans all all yours

• Like 1

Heads up guys,

So, due to a combination of real life commitments limiting playtime, blind luck, and residing on a relatively quiet server, I’ve managed to stay alive and am still sticking to my plan.

I’m quite deep into Chernarus at this point, but I have managed to post some more entries on the blog from the early days – typing stuff up is hard work.

Entries 3, 4 and 5 are now live – episode 6 will be up shortly, in which I finally make it to Chernogorsk and all hell breaks loose.

Edited by John Smith
  • Like 1

Awesome storyline so far. I'll be keeping track of this for new posts!

• Like 1

Many thanks for your encouragement, guys – sometimes I need a kick up the backside to get motivated.

When will you be putting out pt. 6 & 7??

Seeing as you asked, I will get all my scraps of paper and screenshots together tonight and have the next episode up over the weekend.

Many thanks for your encouragement, guys – sometimes I need a kick up the backside to get motivated.

Seeing as you asked, I will get all my scraps of paper and screenshots together tonight and have the next episode up over the weekend.

Awesome, the story line youve got so far is put together quite well. Ill be looking forward to the next episodes.

• Like 1

i dont know if you ever read world war Z, but the way he chronicles each characters experience through an "interview" setting helped him get several different views on the war. maybe you can create some sort of offbreed of that, and kind of have mini stories leading to each individual members death/survival. that is also something you can do as well. set some sort of goal to accomplish with each character, like build a helicopter (to escape the island duh..) there are many ways to go about it, just have to be creative. you have some good writing though keep it up.

• Like 1

Maybe you can even write something like a diary for each character, that way when you die, it could end realistically.

• Like 1

I for one hope you do. This stuff is amazing and i hope to learn how it went in Cherno :)

• Like 1

@Silentreaper127

@Gernia

Thanks for your kind comments and for bringing me back from the dead; glad you're enjoying my little story so far.

I've resurrected the blog and uploaded Day Five (part two)

I'll endeavor to keep it updated more regularly from now on.

Edited by John Smith
  • Like 1

YEAH! Some fun reading ahead :)

Thanks man and have a really awesome day in dayz :P