Sign in to follow this  
magicflute

Remove Thermal Abilities From Weapons

Hi,

First time on the forum, first post, so be nice :D

I have been playing a lot of Dayz, and it is one of the most entertaining and unique games i've played so far. One of the elements i love the most is the feeling of never being safe.

I love the idea of a sniper watching me and also the idea of that i can watch someone and choose to engage them or not.

There is one thing though that i would like to "drop in the suggestion box"

I think the whole sniper and target concept would be much more thrilling and scary if the thermal scopes from the L85 and other weapons were removed. Not the nightvision scopes only the thermal.

I am basing this on that it would be much more skill based and rewarding then, you would have to utilize cover a lot more and really take your time, both as sniper and when trying not to be seen by snipers. The ghillie suit is great but it is also useless when thermal is taken to the playing field. Nowadays when a lot of players simply bring out the L85 scans every hill and then switches to their faithful AS50 it kind of unbalances the cat and mouse game, in my opinion.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion.

The game is great, thermal or not.

Cheers!

If a player has a better weapon than his victim, it's obvious to say he has an advantage over his victim. What's wrong with that?

Because this weapon is completely overpowered and goes against the style and feeling of the game.

When you can scan a whole area in seconds it makes it very difficult for people to implement any sort of sneaking and hiding behaviour. As an L85 user myself I agree with removing thermal because I feel I have to use. If I don't scan and see the enemy sniper first they'll sure as hell see me with their own thermal scope well before anyone would have a chance to spot each other without it.

• Like 3

Being cataloged as Extremely Rare weapon i say if you find it then you got the advantage well deserved. However due to hackers right now its not so rare apparently because ive seen it on players a lot lately. However once the game makes it to Standalone i think it will be fine leaving it in game.

• Like 1

Thermal exists in the real-world, and while DayZ isn't the most realistic of game, its certainly trying to be with its elements (hunger, thirst, body temp.)

Don't confuse Realsim with Balance, Yes thermal may be a challenge for you to overcome, but it can't see through tree-trunks or through walls, so use the environment to your advantage to counter their advantage of better gear.

From experience with the L85 thermal, i can say i personal don't use it for killing, the aiming isn't that good and i hate the amount of zoom on it for an assault rifle, so using it to spot is my own need for it, you still have the 5ish seconds for me to switch to a Sniper with better zeroing or zoom, and to load it before I can shoot, so keep moving!

Edited by Mentize
  • Like 1

Being cataloged as Extremely Rare weapon i say if you find it then you got the advantage well deserved. However due to hackers right now its not so rare apparently because ive seen it on players a lot lately. However once the game makes it to Standalone i think it will be fine leaving it in game.

Define "extremely rare", please.

I have a L85A2 AWS, and i lost count on how many others i have seen inside tents, vehicles, and in other people's bodies.

This weapon is ridiculous, at least in my opinion, and it should be removed from the game (at least the thermal scope, not the entire gun).

MY OPINION.

weapon modifications is already supported in arma 3s engine and will be on Dayz standalone. If there are any thermal scopes they will be endgame gear. Chances are thermal scopes will stay along with nightvision scopes.

Being cataloged as Extremely Rare weapon i say if you find it then you got the advantage well deserved. However due to hackers right now its not so rare

This /\ /\ /\ These are weapons that are supposed to be as rare as hens teeth. I think they are limited to chopper crash sites only, so on a server of 50 players you really should only see 2 or so at the most. Just another way hackers are screwing the game.

I personally dont think the L85 is unbalanced, the fact you can only use either the thermal or Night vision makes it a bit of a bugger in the day time as you have to go with an awful view down the scope, or you need to shoot from the hip. Neither are ideal.

In my opinion the gun does give a bit of overpowerd advantage to see everyone with thermal. But on the contrary it's not that good of a weapon to shoot down range. In my experince it doesn't seem to hit things very well, even with zeroing down the target. Other then that it's just a Glorafied Thermal scope, but again that's my opinion.

Define "extremely rare", please.

I have a L85A2 AWS, and i lost count on how many others i have seen inside tents, vehicles, and in other people's bodies.

This weapon is ridiculous, at least in my opinion, and it should be removed from the game (at least the thermal scope, not the entire gun).

MY OPINION.

If you go check the Dayz Weapon Wiki you will see its considered Extremely rare but as i said Hackers make it not so rare anymore. So until standalone is out i guess its just one of the many in game.

I judge rarity next to how many times I've found Mountain Dew in the game. Most hackers don't bother hacking in Mountain Dew, and I've only found it... once.

Atm we have found(legit) like 4 as50, 3 l85, 1 107, at least 7 fn fall(2 of them nv) and so on... these really arent rare as they should be.

And there is a search function that can be used.

Mountaindev I have never found, maybe its because there is no need for cities anymore.

Edited by Zeppa

Get rid of duping, make military weapons like the L85 extremely, almost impossible to find, rare and you have solved the problem.

If these weapons exist there should be at least some chance of finding one, but really the majority of survivors and bandits near end game should be walking around with AK's not state of the art weapons.

Finding an ultra rare L85 should be a Hallelujah moment, not a shrug of the shoulders as you ponder if you should drop the M14 AIM, Mk48 or M4A1 CCO SD to fit it in your backpack.

• Like 2

Just putting in my two cents I think they should bump up the rareness of the powerful guns to even out the power or make ammo crazy scarse but I think therm should be nerfed a bit to use batteries or something like that to limit use don't kno just saying

Get rid of duping, make military weapons like the L85 extremely, almost impossible to find, rare and you have solved the problem.

If these weapons exist there should be at least some chance of finding one, but really the majority of survivors and bandits near end game should be walking around with AK's not state of the art weapons.

Finding an ultra rare L85 should be a Hallelujah moment, not a shrug of the shoulders as you ponder if you should drop the M14 AIM, Mk48 or M4A1 CCO SD to fit it in your backpack.

Pretty much this.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say DayZ would be MUCH more fun if there were no other sniper than the CZ 550 and maybe the M14 AIM, and no advanced ARs.

DayZ Far West server: Revolver, Winchester, DB Shotgun, Lever action shotguns, Lee Enfield only.

• Like 4

They should atleast nerf the thermal effect, limit its range and make object "fade" further they go. For authenticity, every figure wont be bright yellow on every distance.. many things should affect this like clothing,weather and so on.. and 95% of ppl uses this gun only for spotting... so you could change it to "thermal binos".

I agree on the whole "rarity" of this weapon (L85). I found mine in a tent north of Cherno with two others to spare and give to my buddies. That was about 15 days ago. Since then, I've seen this maybe... 6 more times? It's all these damn hackers and theres not a damn thing we can do about it until the Devs can fix the Hacker problem.

Now, as for the thermal, I can't even count how many times the baby has saved the life of my buddies doing Cherno/Elektro raids. 0300 on a server, pitch black, server of only ten and of course, at least 5 of those people are in the city we're looting. They never saw me, but I saw them from 600 meters out...

... Which is pretty much bullshit.

Yeah, sure. I've killed a couple snipers using it and done some good deeds with it, but it's thermal ability is just really ridiculous. I keep wanting to get myself to drop it, but I never do.

EDIT: And fuck the zoom on the scope. It's either use the scope or hip fire. And both of those suck.

Edited by Jad3n144
  • Like 1

@ DemonGroover, yeah the halleluja moments are pretty much gone for anyone that has some experience in the game. Rarity tags on items is totally off with all the hacking and duping so i guess the real issue isn't the thermal function but rather the availability.

@ Axelord FTW, i'm with ya, maybe not to go as far as wild west style but i'm all for a more gritty and spartaneous item system.

Sadly, from reading your replies i understand and agree that nothing can be done at the moment, if unbalanced items were removed a hacker will just spawn them back in, someone will find them eventually and dupe the shit out of them and then we are back at the current situation.

In a game where your survival is largely based on the items you are able to find, as it would be in a similar real life situation, you need to have a solid and realistic item system or the game will be unbalanced.

I'm hoping that the dev's read this and other posts as all of us playing this great mod are alpha testers, the potential for a "greatest game ever" scenario is huge if we can combine Rockets vision with user experience.

Hopefully when the mod or the game gets "fixed" realism and rarity of items will be raised aswell.

• Like 1