shadowvfx

Saying goodbye to my humanity

Well, that's it. I've been playing for over a week now as a cautious but non-hostile player. Starting today, I'm done with that mess. I have spared so many, only to be shot in the face by those I've spared. It will happen no more.

This game has no incentive what-so-ever to spare another player's life, so why bother fighting it, right? Tonight, the old merciful me is dead. He's been replaced by a murderous pillager who isn't going to spare anyone unfortunate enough to fall within my kill range. Thanks Day Z, I needed to get in touch with my inner asshat.

Day Z - provides personal psychological analysis for the masses.

Verdict - we're all homicidal liars with acute paranoia.

Even survivors have to open a can of caps in yo ass once in a while. If you haven't gone completely Saddam Hussein on us yet, you can still murder a fool or two once in a while and recover your humanity with only a couple of hours murder abstinence.

Day Z - provides personal psychological analysis for the masses.

Verdict - we're all homicidal liars with acute paranoia.

In real life there are plenty of advantages to cooperation and banding together.

Far fewer reasons in this game. It's inevitable - eventually most everyone will get tired of running somewhere for 3 hours only to be shot dead in an instant. Killing other players and taking their stuff is far faster and possibly far more rewarding.

I am getting more paranoid, I think someone went the other night. I was in a barn and I had a shaking suspicion I was being stalked. No proof, but felt like it. So I was in the loft of a barn and looking out the little circle window when I saw him with his flashlight on. I asked if the flashlight guy was friendly twice, no reply. Back when I still called out friendly.

I figured staying put was the best course of action, until he entered the building. Pointed he long gun at me and I shot him. Only to get shot by his buddy who was waiting outside the opposite door.

Now I stay quite and away from places.

There's incentive not to shoot people in the real world. First and foremost is that you can't be sure you'll kill them before they shoot you too. You could shoot them in the gut (a fatal shot), but they could still live for hours, far long enough to put a bullet in your head.

This game does not adequately reflect the experience you would have during a zombie apocalypse, because there is absolutely no incentive not to shoot anyone you meet. People who claim "realism" for the whole bandit-skin thing fail to recognize that Rocket has already stated there needs to be consequences for being a bandit. It's just an unfinished feature, right now.

Become a trusted medic (or gofer, or guard of this group), and be respected by all.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4581

Don't fight your need to be civilized, embrace it.

Don't become a murderer.

DO become a bandit, if you must, but embrace robbery over murder. And yes, if solo, the rule is ... well, you know it well.

Lost my humanity weeks ago brother... I used to play defensive.. When humanity system went away so did mine.. People just no longer care. Everyones become paraniod and just shooting first and asking later or shooting first and hoping you have gear!..

I dont spend much time on the coast and I still usually wont kill anyone if im far away and they are on there merry way.. however anyone I see camping/lurking anywhere near loot spawns or high traffic areas gets a insta DMR round in the face.

I want to say it was about the 4th time in a row when I rescued someoen from a Z horde to get shot in the face afterwards when I gave up on humanity in the game :)

Ahwell none of it matters.. just a Alpha test anyways

This game has no incentive what-so-ever to spare another player's life

False.

Incentives to Cooperative Play

People who claim "realism" for the whole bandit-skin thing fail to recognize that Rocket has already stated there needs to be consequences for being a bandit.

He also immediately pointed out that you should not mistake the word "consequence" for "punishment" and that those desiring the life of the bandit would find those consequences to be good things, not bad. So, yes, please tell us more about what rocket said.

He also immediately pointed out that you should not mistake the word "consequence" for "punishment" and that those desiring the life of the bandit would find those consequences to be good things' date=' not bad. So, yes, please tell us more about what rocket said.

[/quote']

And? You still have to admit that currently there is nothing but *punishment* for wanting to play cooperatively, and no risk at all for playing as a bandit. Consequences for non-bandits, no consequences for bandits. Regardless of what those consequences end up being, *someone* will view them as a punishment.

Yea I gotta agree. It's getting pretty outta control. Became pretty CoDish because there is no incentive what so ever to group, and zombies are of no threat. I logged in to a server and got insta sniped. Then spawn killed 2 times right after. Felt like I was on my ps3 playing CoD. But hey can't beat um join um right? So im kill on sight as well.

And? You still have to admit that currently there is nothing but *punishment* for wanting to play cooperatively' date=' and no risk at all for playing as a bandit. Consequences for non-bandits, no consequences for bandits. Regardless of what those consequences end up being, *someone* will view them as a punishment.

[/quote']

There are plenty of ways to create an optional, yet viable, cooperative dynamic to the game. Say the factory in cherno spawns ammo, but only if the power plant is running. One group holds the power plant, another the factory. Suddenly cooperation is not a dominated strategy. Negotiation ensues. The factory group gives a tent to the powerplant group as collateral; the power plant group turns on the power; the factory group then exchanges some ammo for the tent. All while each group COMPLETELY distrusts the other, and outside forces could intervene at any moment (creating true cooperation between the two groups against a mutual enemy).

Perhaps you could implement a friendlist and blacklist. If you're on my friendlist, then you will see my tags on mouse-over (simulating you recognizing your friend, as opposed to having no clue if generic player model #10 is your best friend). Blacklisting would color a player's name in direct chat/voice (in the lower left corner) and the "P" menu userlist, enabling friends to share their experiences with other players. Asking a player to identify himself ("SHOW ME SOME ID") would give you some indication of how friendly/bandit he was based on past experiences with you or your friends (red = you labeled him bandit, orange = friend labeled him bandit, yellow = friend of a friend labeled him bandit). This would sort of simulate the social structure of a real world, where people meet and remember each other; we're not just clones of 10 available skins running around.

I think most people have a problem with the way you want to achieve balance; by punishing PvP ("murder" as you call it). Essentially, you want the game to enact your revenge FOR you.

Don't talk about the realism of cooperation between strangers. I already have a group. Why should I cooperate with YOU?

Don't talk about the realism of avoiding fights because death would be permanent. Your life's value to you depends largely on affluence; go look how much it's valued in the middle east. Or Somalia. Or Africa. And how realistic is it for you to repeatedly run up to strangers yelling "FRIENDLY?" I'm astonished that you would treat death so lightly as to walk up knowing 99% of the time you'll get shot in the face. I like how PvE types ask for 8+ hour respawn timers to deter run-and-gun play. How cooperative do you think people will be then?

Yea I gotta agree. It's getting pretty outta control. Became pretty CoDish because there is no incentive what so ever to group' date=' and zombies are of no threat. I logged in to a server and got insta sniped. Then spawn killed 2 times right after. Felt like I was on my ps3 playing CoD. But hey can't beat um join um right? So im kill on sight as well.

[/quote']

This is how it is for me. I tried to play nice, but when I have experienced nothing but death for my positive actions, it's the exact opposite of an incentive. I basically made it a rule that if anyone gets within 50m of me and isn't passing by or oblivious, they're going to die.

Was this game somewhat different when they had the bandit skins? I just started last week, so maybe I'm missing something...but this game feels like it's a PK paradise, but with occassional pesky zombies.

Hell, I've seen players shoot me in cold blood while we were both surrounded by zombies. I have no doubt they died from the resulting zed rush. I don't get it...Was killing me THAT important? Players are being wired to "shoot that dude ASAP before he gets me" without thinking at all about the consequences. Even if it causes their own demise.

Hehe, your cutting yourself short. The coast is a savage place, savages will be savages. When you take the time to travel north and log off for a day or two to calm down, you will find a better population of people.

I played a good full month without so much as taking a shot at another player, I just avoided everyone. Then I died like 10 times in les than 2 days because everyone would kill me as soon as they could see me. The last straw was the dude that rolled with me then killed me for my rifle and backpack. Since then i've had to kill 4 people, and now that I have an ak kobra, a silenced m4 and a coyote pack, no one is allowed within 200 meters from me!

I'm not sure what all the complaining about murders is about.

It's part of the game is it not?

I avoid people as much as I can, because I'm not the trusting sort - unless I'm up north, and I'm low on critical supplies such as water or food - then I will not avoid, instead I will do what I must and put a bullet or 5 in the next guy I meet if the situation presents itself.

I've killed and been killed - I've made friends ingame who I slowly gained trust, and I've been betrayed by some (that I misjudged) - it's the way the Day Z world works.

Maybe I'm just not the sort of person this mod is aiming at, since Rocket has said this is more of an experiment, and the aim is to get a sort of emotional response out of the player.

I have to say, the eerie atmosphere at night with the zombies, scavaging for supplies and whatnot does manage to get some emotion out of me, but being killed by a player, is just... I couldn't care less :/ I will respawn in a wee bit and back to my savaging in no time!

Well' date=' that's it. I've been playing for over a week now as a cautious but non-hostile player. Starting today, I'm done with that mess. I have spared so many, only to be shot in the face by those I've spared. It will happen no more.

This game has no incentive what-so-ever to spare another player's life, so why bother fighting it, right? Tonight, the old merciful me is dead. He's been replaced by a murderous pillager who isn't going to spare anyone unfortunate enough to fall within my kill range. Thanks Day Z, I needed to get in touch with my inner asshat.

[/quote']

Omg A Smokie from Ragnarok as your avatar!

I am getting more paranoid' date=' I think someone went the other night. I was in a barn and I had a shaking suspicion I was being stalked. No proof, but felt like it. So I was in the loft of a barn and looking out the little circle window when I saw him with his flashlight on. I asked if the flashlight guy was friendly twice, no reply. Back when I still called out friendly.

I figured staying put was the best course of action, until he entered the building. Pointed he long gun at me and I shot him. Only to get shot by his buddy who was waiting outside the opposite door.

Now I stay quite and away from places.

[/quote']

Trust me. For every time you *think* you were being followed. There were probably a bunch of other times you were focused on some nearby goal to be completed you did not notice you were definitely being if not stalked. Observed. In this game. Paranoia will help keep you alive. I constantly end up watching other survivors and bandits going on their way and waiting till they leave an area before I continue on my way.