My team and I just found both in one Heli crash, great haul along with NVGs, GPS, and a Range finder.

Opinions on the DMR vs the SVD? I will probably be running one of these. I already have an M14 EP1, so taking the DMR seems a logical choice due to the commonality of the ammo and use between the M14 and DMR...so basically running 2 main weapons....OR

Ditch both and run that sweet SVD...so bad ass....

I'd love to hear opinions and facts about both weapons from personnel experiance.

SVD for looks. DMR is better, can zoom in more and twice the ammo. But every sniper is shitty compared to the AS50.

DMR cause you can use it with NVGs

SVD's are extremely rare. They do the same amount of damage as a DMR, but have about 200m more range than a DMR. The mil dots are a little bit more complicated to use on the scope as well. One downside is fire rate. Ammunition is more rare for the SVD, I believe, and I don't think the SVD is compatible with NVG's. The DMR shoots faster than the SVD as well. So all in all, Extremely rare =/= Better. It really doesn't; it basically just looks more cool.

As said above, the AS50 is better than both. It can get up to 1600m with zeroing, makes less sound than both, does more damage, etc. I'd go with the AS50 overall.

(I greatly prefer the scope on the DMR since it has zoom out / zoom in capabilities. Whenever I use the M24, AS50, etc, I feel like the scope is just showing me the pixelated textures of whatever I'm looking at. Feels like I'm always zoomed in too close.)

Edited by Slazors92

definitely the dmr.

more common means more ammo and less getting killed because of bandits who are desperately looking for that specific gun

definitely the dmr.

more common means more ammo and less getting killed because of bandits who are desperately looking for that specific gun

I think any bandit that spots you is going to try and kill you regardless of what weapon you're using :P

Back to the topic though, I agree with keeping the DMR, mainly as people mentioned since ammo is more common and the scope being NVG capable.

Why not to try using it yourself? I bet your clan has some vehicle or tent city to stash stuff into so its not like you have to ditch your good ole DMR.

Now I remember some peeps reported that vehicles and tents does not save properly (I would not know, because my playstyle is more of sticking to south then hoarding stuff up north) so maybe its a dilemma.

Edited by Hombre

Just the others said, DMR shoots faster, makes the same damage and you have more ammo per mag.

The SVD is just cooler to have :D

@Slazors92 The AS50 and the M107 are the loudest Guns in the game ;) But with the most power.

DMR had the same 'hearrange' than ordinary sniperguns or M240 etc.

DMR can be used in day light and at night if you have the night vision goggles, the DMR ammo is easily found, and it can blow the head of a man about 800meters out with no problem at all. Can you say all of that about your SVD?

Just the others said, DMR shoots faster, makes the same damage and you have more ammo per mag.

The SVD is just cooler to have :D

@Slazors92 The AS50 and the M107 are the loudest Guns in the game ;) But with the most power.

DMR had the same 'hearrange' than ordinary sniperguns or M240 etc.

I checked the Day Z wiki and the AS50's sound is "moderate." It doesn't sound nearly as loud as the SVD or the DMR in my opinion. But eh. You might be right, wikis can be wrong.

DMR is the most dynamic sniper in the game. It has many uses and is spot on up to 400 meters. SVD looks cool, but doesnt perform as well, and the ammo is super rare. Making it obsolete in my mind.

DMR can be used in day light and at night if you have the night vision goggles, the DMR ammo is easily found, and it can blow the head of a man about 800meters out with no problem at all. Can you say all of that about your SVD?

Honestly i've gotten a few headshots with DMR's around 700+ meters where they're prone and facing me, notabley I had one headshot at 750m in cherno on a noob sniper who was on the tallest industrial building. I got my range, shot, hit the head and he logs out. I'm not sure why but there have been quite a few people (me included) that aren't getting headshot kills with the dmr over a certain range. And god knows someone is going to reply to this and say I didn't hit the head but the only real reason he couldn't of died is A - Hacker. B - He had such a lag shield he heard the shot and logged before the hit actually registered on him(I saw blood on my screen though)

Having a SVD is good if you want to go to school and tell your friends that you found one, other than that it's pretty useless.

The DMR ammo is pretty "easy" to find, not to mention that you can use it with NVGs, so it's pretty much an obvious choice.

To be honest, i would pick a CZ550 over a SVD any time, but whatever.

Honestly i've gotten a few headshots with DMR's around 700+ meters where they're prone and facing me, notabley I had one headshot at 750m in cherno on a noob sniper who was on the tallest industrial building. I got my range, shot, hit the head and he logs out. I'm not sure why but there have been quite a few people (me included) that aren't getting headshot kills with the dmr over a certain range. And god knows someone is going to reply to this and say I didn't hit the head but the only real reason he couldn't of died is A - Hacker. B - He had such a lag shield he heard the shot and logged before the hit actually registered on him(I saw blood on my screen though)

You were either hacking or he logged out before he died. You didn't get a headshot. :D

I checked the Day Z wiki and the AS50's sound is "moderate." It doesn't sound nearly as loud as the SVD or the DMR in my opinion. But eh. You might be right, wikis can be wrong.

Both the M107 and the AS50 have an audible range of 455m, which is the longest of any weapon in the game. For comparison, the Lee Enfield has an audible range of 162m, and the other sniper rifles have an audible range fo 180m. So if you're within a half-kilometer of any zombies, prepare to run.

Mh.. i looked it up again.. and found two sources.. the first says M107 and AS50 are the loudest with 455 m.. and the second as you said, moderate for the AS and Very High for the M107.. the M107 is right, i shoot that monster, but i didnt know it exactly for the As50!

Due to the commonality of the ammo, the DMR would be more useful overall. I personally prefer the SVD, mainly because of the built-in rangefinder, but the camo also works well with a Ghillie Suit.

The SVD does save time to use, thanks to the built in rangefinder, but if you have a spotter, that shouldn't be an issue.