Uncommon Infected

New at dayz and I have a problem...

So today was the day! I was getting ready to play some awesome DAYZ, I got in a server, started playing and realized that even with my SHIT LAPTOP this game is really good, but it is laggy. What should I do? Should I stop wasting my time in the lag, keep playing or get a new laptop?( I might be getting one later this month)

keep playing unless its unbearably laggy and you should totally get a new laptop because dayz is the best game i have ever played!!!! i cant wait for the standalone!!!!

Have you tested different servers ? What is your FPS (use Fraps or MSI Afterburner for showing fps in game). And for gaming don't buy a laptop, you need a desktop.

• Like 2

Have you tested different servers ? What is your FPS (use Fraps or MSI Afterburner for showing fps in game). And for gaming don't buy a laptop, you need a desktop.

Thanks for the tip, are gaming laptops good because I saw one that they say is good for gaming. Will get a desktop if its not good

Thanks for the tip, are gaming laptops good because I saw one that they say is good for gaming. Will get a desktop if its not good

Its ultimately your choice but pricewise you can get a much more powerful desktop than a laptop. For example a $1000 desktop will have better specs than a $1000 laptop.

Yeah this is generalising a little but you cannot even come close to equal specs for price between laptop and desktop.

I suggest getting a desktop!

EDIT: And DON"T get a MAC they are almost impossible to upgrade and are ridiculously overpriced compared to a PC with equal stats

Edited by Koa_Waylander
  • Like 2

no laptops are shit for gaming a decent one will run over 1000 and you can build an amazing desktop for that, and if you think building a pc is hard, its not its just screwing things in. even buying a already built one will be better than a gaming laptop. plus is you bought a gaming laptop i doubt it will run arma 3 very well when that comes out, PM me if you need help with building or choosing a computer.

Its ultimately your choice but pricewise you can get a much more powerful desktop than a laptop. For example a $1000 desktop will have better specs than a $1000 laptop.

Yeah this is generalising a little but you cannot even come close to equal specs for price between laptop and desktop.

EDIT: And DON"T get a MAC they are almost impossible to upgrade and are ridiculously overpriced compared to a PC with equal stats

lol that edit, so true.

• Like 1

OK thanks :D I will try and find a good (and cheap) desktop.

Try out other servers. Look for ones with less people in them, some servers can't handle a large number of people, even if they say they can. Also change your settings to optimize FPS, I think DayZGuideZ has a guide for that. Best case for gaming would be a desktop, but a nicer laptop can handle most games on lower settings.

• Like 1

Try other servers. I've got a beast of a computer (again, buy a damn desktop, learn to put it together yourself, save a lot of money and do upgrades yourself) but some servers for whatever reason have some TERRRRIBLE frame rate issues. This isn't lag by the way. Lag is when you click to pull the trigger and the gun doesn't go off or you click to make a fireplace and it's forever before you begin the animation. Lag is a slowdown between your computer communicating with the server, framerate issues are when your game seems to slow down and get choppy. But yeah, change servers, reboot, make sure your laptop isn't overheating.

If you decide to buy a desktop, you should go for this minimum:

CPU: Core i5 or higher

GPU: nvidia 560ti or 570 or higher for ArmA3

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: cheap 60 GB for Games (access time and data streaming)

on your current laptop, got to video settings - advanced settings and select low details, turn off post graphics etc etc etc.. this will give your fps a bump until you get a new laptop/pc to play on.

Properly adjusted settings and a good server could help you a lot. It could also be your connection. I've noticed that my internet seems to slow down at about 3am every night. It has affected me in other games. In this game, I start to lag a bit, and the game gets a little choppy if I'm playing that late at night.

Try out other servers. Look for ones with less people in them, some servers can't handle a large number of people, even if they say they can. Also change your settings to optimize FPS, I think DayZGuideZ has a guide for that. Best case for gaming would be a desktop, but a nicer laptop can handle most games on lower settings.

GuideZ will be happy that somebody suggested his videos for once. lol

For 300 euro's you can build yourselves a budget system;

Asrock 960 GM motherboard 40,50

AMD Athlon II X2 260 46,50

Corsair 2 GB 1333 ram 12,90

WD 250 GB harddisk 48,00

Sony dvdburner 16,60

Sapphire HD 6670 67,50 (best budget card according to Toms hardware)

Rasurbo 550 watt PSU 26,60

MsTech case 26,30

15 euro's for shipping/postal and voila play dayz on high settings.

Edited by NL-Fierce

Download and instal Gamebooster 3.

it wil turn off some background programs/services and give you some extra fps.

Download and instal Gamebooster 3.

it wil turn off some background programs/services and give you some extra fps.

I have gameboster, but never use it XD. I'll try though.

Edited by Uncommon Infected

On my first try I got this as well, make sure you join the server with the lowest ping and change your graphic settings to very low or just low

On my first try I got this as well, make sure you join the server with the lowest ping and change your graphic settings to very low or just low

Actually, this is can be a bit of a trap. When settings are actually too low you place the majority of the processing on only the CPU and little on the video card. It's an ARMA thing. I actually get worse FPS at 1920x1080 on low settings than I do at high and very high. Easiest way to work out your proper settings is boot up the armory in standard ARMA2, set the view distance to 1000 (which is the hardcap for servers for DayZ I believe) and play with your settings until you're happy.

Lonrem made a good advice. Arma can be tricky with the settings. Better start with all maxed and lower the settings until you get good fps, don't expect a steady high fps. Even high end rigs have fps drops in cities and many AI.

depends on what kind of gaming you do because laptops work fine sometimes but ArmA is a strong game so desktop is better

Get what is going to be most useful to you. If you need a laptop for other purposes then a laptop can run DayZ just fine. I have a laptop with an i7 with 16GB RAM and a NVidia 555m with 2GB VRAM dedicated. It runs DayZ perfectly. But if you do not really need a laptop then a desktop PC is definitely the way to go. Cheaper and easier to upgrade, plus it is always nicer to game on a bigger screen.

• Like 1

so, I optimized my ArmA 2 with game booster, messed around with tthe settings and it runs quite well, but I have 2 problems.

Everytime I fire a weapon my screen goes white (when I turn around it goes back to normal, anyway there's not much firing in dayz) and the other one is that sometimes when I run around a bit my game crashes, after having around 15-20 FPS. What do I do. D:

so, I optimized my ArmA 2 with game booster, messed around with tthe settings and it runs quite well, but I have 2 problems.

Everytime I fire a weapon my screen goes white (when I turn around it goes back to normal, anyway there's not much firing in dayz) and the other one is that sometimes when I run around a bit my game crashes, after having around 15-20 FPS. What do I do. D:

Gaming laptops work great but be prepared to spend a good bit of cash. I use my gaming laptop for dayz and run everything on high (19" display) If your like me and use laptops more then a desktop it's worth the expense.