Slickback (DayZ)

Does sniping need a nerf?

Most snipers carry an assualt rifle or SMG in their pack. Wheres the handicap then?

Changing on the fly is hard. If I sneek up on you, you're history. Which I do, very often. Hunting snipers is very fun.

A sniper rifle (especially the as50/m107) can be as much a handicap as it is a powerful ally. Its a double edged sword really. If someone gets in close to you, your fucked. If you have a 400 meter distance advantage, they're fucked. I think they are fine just the way they are.

I feel as if you haven't used the AS50... If you're static (which as a sniper... you will be most of the time) then your blind fire will hit dead center, as well as that the lack of recoil makes it very effective in close quarters. Not to mention the barrel doesn't warp from firing quickly which it would if you blasted out 5 rounds in 2 seconds. The only disadvantage to having it (other than breaking immersion as a gun I would bother to carry) is that it's an antenna on your back or a giveaway whilst you're hiding in your tree.

I think the sniping needs to be made more and more realistic until the point that it has a real skill curve and those that actually take it up won't be instantly good at it. I think this will put off players just looking cheap distanced kills and only those actually looking for a challenge will step up.

• Like 1

antimaterial rifles MUST be removed from this game, the only sniper should stay is DMR cos it needs experiense to use it well.

Becuz spelin is ovr8ted?

A sniper rifle (especially the as50/m107) can be as much a handicap as it is a powerful ally. Its a double edged sword really. If someone gets in close to you, your fucked. If you have a 400 meter distance advantage, they're fucked. I think they are fine just the way they are.

This. They have their advantages, but they also have their disadvantages. The only problem I see right now is how common they are. But once that's fixed I think they work fine how they are.

Oh, and just too add. Sniping isn't as easy as it seems (atleast for me, but maybe I just suck). Hitting a moving target at range is quite difficult. Taking into account zeroing and all that, it can take time to get used to.

Edited by Wargunner

LOL 99.99999% of players have an AS50.

Most of the people who are snipers have an AS50, but a majority of the people who aren't snipers don't have one. There's a reason why they aren't snipers and it's because they don't have an AS50.

If the AS50 were any more common, then everyone would be a sniper.

Not sure if this is possible but adding the affect of wind would sort the men from the boys on this one. Judging and allowing for how the wind will affect the path a round is the hardest thing when shooting rifles at long ranges, then to top it off wind can drop off or gust during flight so a perfectly aimed shoot with the correct allowances made for wind may still miss anyway.

There is a reason it wasn't added in the first place...You can't feel the wind. In real life, you would have a much easier time adjusting your shot since you can actually feel the wind and you would know what direction it is going and plan accordingly. In a game with no senses, how could you possibly do this? You would have to have a wind calculator like they have in madden football games when you are going for a field goal. I don't know what it's called so that is the best way to explain it, lol.

Edited by Ajvkorn

Snipers need no nerf. Standing on a building in cherno? Running across an open field? Climbing a fire station casually? You're gona have a bad time. Follow tree lines, plan your approach, avoid open fields where possible and run straight, along lines that cross horizontal (where possible) to where you guess a sniper is or know to be. Contrary to what you've been told zig zagging is crap. You just increase the amount of time you spend in the open. Run low or go go go.

As for wind it's too complex to add.

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 2

This. They have their advantages, but they also have their disadvantages. The only problem I see right now is how common they are. But once that's fixed I think they work fine how they are.

Oh, and just too add. Sniping isn't as easy as it seems (atleast for me, but maybe I just suck). Hitting a moving target at range is quite difficult. Taking into account zeroing and all that, it can take time to get used to.

I don't think people realize how hard it is to hit a moving target in this game when they know how to zig zag. The only time you get an easy shot is when you know that person doesn't see you and they are moving straight. Once they zig zag, it just becomes a guessing game on where to aim. Anybody who tries to argue against that point is either bs or hasn't sniped.

No, it's a sniper. Why the fuck would you rebalance guns that would kill in one shot in real life anyway. Some even take two shots.

The way I see it the M107 and as50 should be removed from the mod, there are no requirements for anti-material rifles since all vehicles in DayZ are easily disabled by shooting out wheels/the driver. There is absolutely no requirement for sniper rifles that insta-kill with extremity shots, they're just a crutch for bad snipers who can't compensate for range and bullet drop; just aim centre of mass and fire for a guaranteed kill no matter where you hit them.

Skilled marksmen use the regular rifles.

wannabees who upload "420 no scope sick frag" videos on youtube use the as50.

Sadly, if u got shoot in the leg by either a 5.56, 7.62 or .50 it would most likely sever the main artery and you will bleed out in a couple of seconds due to the fact that most smal cal munitions are full metal jackets. This mean that they are instable and will spin and bounce around in you body. A bullet that hitts you in the gut might come out from your shoulder. And getting shoot in the arm with those calibers will also likely ripp your arm off. All hits can cause massive internal bleeding and death. Furthermore upon inpact due to the speed of the bullet it will sort of explode and kill the tissue around the wound and cause even more damage.

This is a militar combat simulator. Its made too be realistic. The fact is that if you get shot at and get hit, You will die. No just blury screen ala bf3 or cod.

Guns are made to kill. They are often made as easy as possible to use. You just point and press play.

(Can't tell if trolling....)

Anyhoo, sniping is hard. In fact, just as hard as shooting any other gun at up to 400 meters.

But past 400 meters, sniping is still hard. Granted, it's somewhere between harder and impossible to shoot every other gun past 400 meters. But that doesn't mean sniping's not hard. It just means that using every other gun in the game is a lot harder at that range.

Just playing. On a scale from "truly impressive" to "showing up for work with your pants on," sniping in DayZ falls near "remembering to zip your fly" and sniping with an AS50 or M107 somewhere around "remembering which shoe goes on which foot." Headshotting players with a Makarov is closer to "juggling live weasels."

(And anyone whining about sniper nerfs in BF3 must be green as grass. But it's good to see there's a home for all of the fleeing bushwarmers from faux recon.)

The way I see it the M107 and as50 should be removed from the mod, there are no requirements for anti-material rifles since all vehicles in DayZ are easily disabled by shooting out wheels/the driver. There is absolutely no requirement for sniper rifles that insta-kill with extremity shots, they're just a crutch for bad snipers who can't compensate for range and bullet drop; just aim centre of mass and fire for a guaranteed kill no matter where you hit them.

Skilled marksmen use the regular rifles.

wannabees who upload "420 no scope sick frag" videos on youtube use the as50.

How does shooting somebody with a m24 twice make sense?(I say this since as50 is one shot kill like every sniper should be - Explained in next sentence) I keep trying to push for any sniper rifle to be HeadShot = death, upper torso = death and waste down = 2 shots. The advantages still come with bullet velocity, accuracy, fire rate, and so on.

Changing on the fly is hard. If I sneek up on you, you're history. Which I do, very often. Hunting snipers is very fun.

That is not a weakness exclusive to snipers. It doesn't matter what weapon you have, if someone gets the drop on you then 99.9% of the time you're dead.

How does shooting somebody with a m24 twice make sense?

Because bullets dont magically cause instant death if they hit you in the torso? Granted a bullet through the lung would probably send most people into unconciousness and/or shock, causing them to bleed to death in minutes but surviving a shot to the torso isn't impossible.

I think the sniping is perfect if you're going for a more realistic game, but I also think they shouldn't have nerfed so many guns like the Lee Enfield and Ak-74, seeing as those rounds are extremely powerful. The sniping is realistic, but most of the other weapons aren't.

• Like 1

The super-zoom, the automatic returning to center, the large hitboxes, the insta-aim, the knowing where players are based on zombie spawning? All realistic.

MY FUCKING ASS!

• Like 2

Just wait till the sniper rifles are nerfed and people start whining about players camping in buildings and they can't get any loot because they get shot as soon as they come around the corner. I don't have any complaints in regards to snipers really, if they knocked out the ability to dupe them, they could go from there on what to do next after their numbers have decreased significantly.

• Like 1

The super-zoom, the automatic returning to center, the large hitboxes, the insta-aim, the knowing where players are based on zombie spawning? All realistic.

MY FUCKING ASS!

Super-Zoom..... The scope i have on my target shooting rifle has a 6-24 zoom ability. So as you can see the "super zoom" is realistic in a way.

Auto returning to center...... when you fire a gun the recoil pushes back your shoulder stops the back motion and makes the barrel climb in the air. when i shoot the gun comes back to almost the same firing position if im shooting unsupported, If im shooting supported then it goes back to almost the exact spot. So as you can see its quite realistic yes it could be more but thats alot of coding and work for something so minor.

Large Hitboxes.... this is only the alpha so maybe they will work on the hit boxes to help make them a bit more realistic.

Insta Aim.... not sure where you are seeing insta aim because i know i have to manually place my crosshairs on target.

Zombie Spawning...... Realistic... NO... BUT......... zombies are not realistic also so .......

Take them out completely. If not, take out the super-zoom-in, add realistic recoil and DO NOT help the gun return back to its original position. Then make the hit-boxes smaller, if they are not life-size now.

The gun's in Arma 2 are designed for players to shoot hordes of A.I.

The is a reason they have no made a game yet where the sole content of the game is dodging snipers, CAUSE IT AINT FUN! Its not fun to be blinked out of existence the moment you stop by a non-moving player, playing a turret with a laser stick. Could I run everywhere i go? Sure.... Could I stop and watch out for a pixel to move in a way it shouldn't? Sure....... It also prohibits people from taking up high positions in Cherno, and going there in general, one of the coolest places on the map. And for all the negatives sniping causes, what do snipers get out of each kill? I saw a sniper kill 12 people as i was trying to get around behind him, it took a half hour. What is the value [fun] of each kill for the sniper? Vs. the annoyance of dying by a laser stick?

No Dont take them out completly Just because your pissed that you get shot because you decide to stop and stand still in direct line of a sniper does not mean that the guns should bve taken out of the game.

Now when the stand alone comes out and there are less sniper rifles out there and less ammo you will see the deaths by sniper decrease quite alot. and hopefully they will add a few "upgrades" the sniping system like proper hitboxes so a foot shot wont do as much damage as a torso shot, Wind would be nice they just need to put a wind sock on our UI so we can see what the wind is aprox. but i dont see wind being introduced and Bipods would be something i would like to see in the game.

• Like 2

Zombie Spawning...... Realistic... NO... BUT......... zombies are not realistic also so .......

by your logic only snipers rifles get to be realistic.

Snipers are fine as they are, it's just the duping and wide spread of them that makes them a problem. If you really insist on a nerf just removing zeroing and force the person to use mil dots.

Simple solution, fix tents, fix vehicles, Wipe hive, Wipe servers. Done. This is very unlikely to happen anytime soon but meh.

No more, every crazy sniper has an AS50/M107. However I will say this, you don't want to be shot by a 50. cal? Play at night. Guess what guns do not work with NVG.

Snipers do not need a to be turned into NERF guns. They need to be rarer, and the ammo needs to be rarer. Due to the mod item storage being broken at the moment, they are not rare. There are so many gameplay issues that would be taken care of if they fixed the damn tents and vehicles.

I personally like snipers, it is such a justified feeling of awesome whenever you sneak up on one and end his existence. The problem is that due to duping he simply runs to his tent, and goes out again within 60 minutes. But that is besides the point.

I think putting a stop to duping will end most of the sniper problems. The other day me and a friend went on night time tent camp looting spree. Of all the tent camps that were not empty, every single one of them had an AS50 (one of them had 10) and usually a couple of L85s. We found more sniper rifles than we found food.

What do I find kinda silly is how the survivors have been probably living off a can a beans and a couple of sodas a day for who knows how long, also chances are they have no military training (as most people don't). Yet they are somehow able to use these these rifles like they are special forces or something. I imagine all the dodging zombies and poor diets they would be feeling at least a little anemic (judging how bad a shape everything is it has been a while) and would probably have trouble holding things steady. So if its still an issue in the future and does need to be addressed then just give everyone a small case of the shakes so hitting anything at a long range would become exceptionally difficult.