Sign in to follow this  
heliman (DayZ)

Psychology of a Hacker vs Exploiter vs Greifer

Well, if anything, griefers and exploiters are the same, they use game mechanics for unfair advantages through meta-gaming or bugs, they are part of the problem, however through bug fixes they can be fought

the real problem about the "hackers" is, that most of them can not be reasoned with, they only want to make people unhappy and feel great because of their unfair attained power, they are little internet psychopaths in my terms, since they also use tools and programs for it wit the exact aim of making other people feel bad

the normal day exploiter and griefer has its use in DayZ:

It may seem unfair some griefer found your camp by TS spieing and took everything he could carry, destroying the rest, but thats part of the game, vehicles respawn and the collecting continues

exploiting carries on like a sickness that makes you stronger: everyone hearing about an exploit normally uses exploits to keep up with other players, but once the exploits are dealt with, they have to learn how to play all over again without them, making it harder for them in the end, making it harder and later easier for legit players to beat them

the hacker however is bored by the game fast, since he can have everything with a single command, so the only thing left is to hurt other players

however, since your hacker-type personality seems to not be able to live with a defeat, maybe they cant handle them in real life either, they turn into sadistic demi-gods, only stopped through a private hive or a global ban, and eventually stop playing or re-buying the game, since its so boring

It's no secret how I feel about cheaters. But when there is no explosives in your satchel, what do you expect from the jackholes?

Griefers well honestly I haven't encountered a true grief giver since UO. Plenty of jerks since then tho. I just mock them since they are a sad lot anyways.

Bandits love to kill them, argue with them here! Yet I have no desires to insult their play style. Out of these 3 types of players, bandits are the legitimate gamers.

Bandit's are players when all is said and done, the other two are just scumbags.

Now there is another type I met in the past few days which I would call a scripter (not a skiddie) this guy TP'd at the side of me asking if I was a friendly because of my hero skin, as I didn't fancy dying to someone who just teleported to me I told him that I was, so he then asked if I needed any gear to which I said "nah, as you can see I'm pretty much geared" I asked him if he knew where all the vehicles were at because someone had TP'd them away somewhere, this guy spent the next 20 minutes trying to separate the mangled mess of vehicles created by another hacker and brought me the only 3 viable vehicles on the map, the bus, a tractor and a cycle and he then protected me from another hacker who tried to kill me whilst I drove these vehicles to the coast for other players to find.

OK this guy treads the fine line between right and wrong and I do not condone his actions because he was cheating the game but it was nice for once to have someone not working against me with god-mode, TP and other such powers and also not trying to shove all the weapons in the world down my throat and to be honest I'm that frustrated with hackers TP'ing the vehicles around on my "home" server I was glad to have him bring them back, even if they do get TP'd again today it was nice to have one of them.

tl;dr Met a friendly hacker, said no to his weapons but asked for the vehicles back on the map and got them, good guy, wrong method's but they worked. ;)

Anyone think I did wrong???

tl;dr Met a friendly hacker, said no to his weapons but asked for the vehicles back on the map and got them, good guy, wrong method's but they worked. ;)

Anyone think I did wrong???

Just like irl if you associate with a criminal that makes you a partner in crime. I've had so called friendly hackers try and offer me their wares and vehicles and I refuse to accept them. I tend to take screenshots instead and try and get them to reveal themselves. In short never associate with a hacker and never use the tools of the trade of a hacker (AS50 AWS etc..) as this makes you no better than the hackers themselves.

Just like irl if you associate with a criminal that makes you a partner in crime. I've had so called friendly hackers try and offer me their wares and vehicles and I refuse to accept them. I tend to take screenshots instead and try and get them to reveal themselves. In short never associate with a hacker and never use the tools of the trade of a hacker (AS50 AWS etc..) as this makes you no better than the hackers themselves.

I refused his ammo box and the rest, I know what you mean and agree sort of but I didn't ask for any help apart from to repair damage done by hackers previously.

I refused his ammo box and the rest, I know what you mean and agree sort of but I didn't ask for any help apart from to repair damage done by hackers previously.

Yes it's still considered associating with a hacker. Asking for any sort of help from a hacker to undo another hacker's crime is not the way to go about it. You could talk to the server admin of your home server and he should be able to reset all the vehicles and find out who is teleporting stuff around. If its a server that's not moderated then I would suggest you to move to another home server probably one's with admins on them.

Yes it's still considered associating with a hacker. Asking for any sort of help from a hacker to undo another hacker's crime is not the way to go about it. You could talk to the server admin of your home server and he should be able to reset all the vehicles and find out who is teleporting stuff around. If its a server that's not moderated then I would suggest you to move to another home server probably one's with admins on them.

Server restarts didn't help in getting the vehicles to their spawns, so we asked the cheater/hacker (who came to us in the first place offering help, not the other way around) to destroy all the vehicles in the server so they can spawn again, because no one on the server had a vehicle due to some retard teleporting them all (if I understood well) outside the map.

We wanted the vehicles in their original spawn so we can find and repair them, and we didn't do it for us, we did it for the good of the server and other players on it.

Hackers As mentioned previously are just script kiddies, giving them the name hackers almost gives them a kind of street cred. These have spoilt the game to such an extent that I have stopped playing the game.

Exploiters Again as mentioned previously, ruin the game for themselves. The games loses something in the process and thus forcing them to become griefers purely to get any enjoyment out of the game.

Greifers are part and parcel of life however a smaller percentage, the fact that you are anonymous adds to the the appeal of being a griefer and hiding behind you screen increases the amount of actual griefers but I have no issues with them they add flavour to the mix.

sostronk, on 24 September 2012 - 09:41 AM, said: It really scares me to think that not only do you believe that, but that it may well be true. Are you serious? Do you really think that people would go around killing each other if you removed the police force and military?

Of course, even with the police and military there are still serial killers, there will always be fcked up people.

Nowhere near on the scale as in dayz however. And if we needed a police force to stop people killing each other how the fuck did we survive when there wasn't one?

99% of people just want to be assholes & get1s things with zero effort. The only thing that keeps most them from doing this in real life, is consequences of their actions. On the internet however they are free to act like little immature dicks and there is little anyone can do about it.

Edited by crockett

Guys guys guys, until the standalone is out get yourselves to a well-admin'd private hive. No hackers/scripters, no exploits, still are douches, but hell it's DayZ. Playing last night felt like May. I was grouping with random survivors and trading, fighting in thrilling low end gun battles in Elektro and not a single AS50 boom to be heard. I was starting to sour on DayZ, but the well policed private hives have brought me back, and it's fun again.