Sign in to follow this  
koze

Standalone - Map ideas, Horror Aspects & Special Infected.

Please take your time to read ALL of this before you comment: No special infected, this is not Left4Dead, and so on.

DayZ is a zombie game yet the only time you'll ever be scared shitless is when you're getting shot at. Zombies are now only a nuisance. Now my idea includes "special" infected. No, not like the ones in Left4Dead, but just something simple, not overpowered, not playable, and not anything outside the concept of DayZ. And still keeping DayZ authentic.

So, first the new DayZ map SHOULD be in Russia or the Ukrain, same region as Chernarus. No, I'm not russian but if the DayZ standalone map is in Russia it just keeps the authenticity in DayZ. Also, a map like Chernarus or something similar suits DayZ perfectly, for instance: It's city's arnt too large that it turns into a massive murder fest, and be able to find a gun anwhere.

Think about it, if your city has a shopping mall then chances are it will be in an industrial area i.e major city. DayZ is a game where it is more fitted to being out into the country, therefor making vehicles more useful and valuable. And ofcourse a large city wont be near any forests or out in the country. So you can hide any vehicles you've found in thick forests.

Now onto the Horror/Special infected.

There is nothing scary about the current DayZ map (Chernarus) simply because that map was designed for arma2, a war zone, not a zombie apocalypse. So my idea is that we could have a few parts of the map where there are grave yards or haunted locations. Now a few people would be thinking, how about green mountain? Yeah well theres nothing dramatic about it, except the fact it reads co-ordinates of deer stands.

But if you had a medium-large thick, dark, foggy, forrest, and in the middle of it is a grave yard or some shit scary location then it would be scary as fuck to go in there.

Now comes in the "special" infected. Once you enter the dark forrest, there is a rare chance you could encounter some sort of super kind of zombie. They could maybe have a little bit more heath than regurlars, not too much. No special attacks, such as vomiting on you from behind, or strangling you with their massive tongue from 50 meters away. But what features it could have is to be able to stalk you, it hides behind trees or cover as it follows you. And when you stop to eat or something it strikes.

My other idea is that when it detects you, it screams, alerts every zombie in your location. Though, when you aggro a zombie, every zombie within 30-50 meters is also trying to rip your face off. But this would happen on a much larger scale. Ofcourse it's all up to the Devs, and what you, the community wants.

Another idea is.. Hospitals! Some of the most scariest games are usually set in hospitals. DayZ should have much larger hospitals, making finding supplies a little harder, and more scary. Things to consider: Blood trails, zombie patients. Instead of just shooting a few panes of glass, or throwing bottles at them and then just grabbing a few supplies then leaving. You should have to check rooms for blood bags and other medical supplies. (found in draws & cupboards.)

Rocket mentioned in a Rezzed session of a zombie life cycle, which is a zombie that is kind of human like, but gradually turns into a zombie. I was thinking that maybe it could be linked with the special infected, after the zombie has reached its end of the cycle it could turn into the "special" infected. Ofcourse you wont be able to see that many special inftected in the game, but it adds a twist to how they got there and what they will eventually all turn into.

http://www.google.co...,r:10,s:0,i:104

Another idea, if these special inftected were introduced into DayZ, they would only spawn in scary locations e.i haunted castle, graveyard or dark misty/foggy woods. But we already have a system that records how many zombie kills, murders, and bandit kills on our debug moniter. If this special infected was introduced into DayZ it could also be recorded on the debug moniter, e.i Demon kills: 3. Ofcourse they wouldent be called demons but you get the point.

Conclusion:

Lastly, a few of you might be thinking, whats the point of having foggy, scary/haunted areas? High chance of helicopter crash sites ofcourse! Not too higher chance, but you're more likely to find a crash site in dark foggy woods rather than in the middle of the country side. And it makes survivors/bandits have to work a little bit harder to get better weapons at helicopter crash sites.

Please comment, and let me know what you think :D

Edited by koze
  • Like 12

Also some foggy thick dark swapage. :lol:

That'd be pretty scary, and it's pretty much the same as what you said, but with water and different plantation. It would be nice to have zombies or mean animals in a forest, and have some forests that are actually thick.

Here is a really scary mission that would work with DayZ. I guess skip forward a bit.

• Like 3

love the idea you sir can have some beans

Thanks!

A class selection would be good like preppers(people who have stocked a larger back pack and a hand gun and food/ water bottle),medic(medical supply's and a grubby lab coat for the skins), ex-soldier (Low ammo rifle and water bottle), a cop(pistol/ ak if in Russia and a flash light). Other ones would be good too

Also random spawning instead of the beach would be good say out of zombies view and say at least 20 ft from players

Now comes in the "special" infected. Once you enter the dark forrest, there is a rare chance you could encounter some sort of super kind of zombie. They could maybe have a little bit more heath than regurlars, not too much. No special attacks, such as vomiting on you from behind, or strangling you with their massive tongue from 50 meters away. But what features it could have is to be able to stalk you, it hides behind trees or cover as it follows you. And when you stop to eat or something it strikes.

Anyone else thought of slender man? :D

there should be some instances with huge buildings or catacombs and something.

maybe some blind zombies with better ears so you have to walk slowly through a dark building making no noise

that would be really horror style.

you all remember "i am legend" the newer movie with smith.

so you know when he got into a huge building looking for his dog.

putting the flashlight on and off.

something like that, i mean its daytime but the buildings are all overgrown with plants so you barly see anything in there.

Other option is the classic resident evil villa by night style.. but i like the first more because its new school with a touch oldskool flair

@topic suggestion. the classic graveyard thing is a way too oldschool imo. but sure why not^^

anyways rocket said something about new maps you can reach through the underground. so we will possibly see a more horror world

Edited by R3cK
  • Like 1

A class selection would be good like preppers(people who have stocked a larger back pack and a hand gun and food/ water bottle),medic(medical supply's and a grubby lab coat for the skins), ex-soldier (Low ammo rifle and water bottle), a cop(pistol/ ak if in Russia and a flash light). Other ones would be good too

Also random spawning instead of the beach would be good say out of zombies view and say at least 20 ft from players

I dont see how this relates to this thread, but since you mentioned it. I do not agree on a class selection, I do not think someone should have an advantage over another simply because they have a perk or are a specific class that enables them to have more backpack space or being able to carry more medical equipment.

Ofcourse everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and this subject is debatable.

there should be some instances with huge buildings or catacombs and something.

maybe some blind zombies with better ears so you have to walk slowly through a dark building making no noise

that would be really horror style.

you all remember "i am legend" the newer movie with smith.

so you know when he got into a huge building looking for his dog.

putting the flashlight on and off.

something like that, i mean its daytime but the buildings are all overgrown with plants so you barly see anything in there.

Other option is the classic resident evil villa by night style.. but i like the first more because its new school with a tough oldskool flair

@topic suggestion. the classic graveyard thing is a way too oldschool imo. but sure why not^^

anyways rocket said something about new maps you can reach through the underground. so we will possibly see a more horror world

Just thinking of something simple, they might add some other "haunted" areas such as abandoned mines or castles.

Just thinking of something simple, they might add some other "haunted" areas such as abandoned mines or castles.

endless possibilities i really liked the announcement for more area buildings like the hospital (which could be really horror, too remember the silent hill hospital^^)

i hope there will me a mall and a prison, too.

• Like 1

Perfect idea. In a world like this it would be much more likely that a survivor would be shitting their pants half the time. This adds both a sense of horror to this zombie apocalyptic world and also a reason for people to want to stick together.

This would make it a much better experience.

Perfect idea. In a world like this it would be much more likely that a survivor would be shitting their pants half the time. This adds both a sense of horror to this zombie apocalyptic world and also a reason for people to want to stick together.

This would make it a much better experience.

It could reduce PvP, for those people who want more of a survival mod instead of a PvP.

At first I was thinking that this would just lead to more bullshit deaths.

But then I thought about it. If the zombies are fixed a little more (so they can't walk through walls etc) and the idea of special zombies was true to the whole "oh god please not like l4d" perspective, then this could really liven this mod up.

You spend so long in completely uninhabited areas when you run through the woods that it gets you into a false sense of security. If there was a risk of something stalking you more efficiently than a player following you in the woods then you'd be bricking it almost constantly. Great idea.

Larger hospitals which you could explore would be cool, too. More CQC type fighting with zombies (again, if fixed) could be a really interesting development.

And I loved that video posted by CerebralZombie. Something like that (but maybe not insta-kill) would really make journeys through the more remote areas of the map interesting.

At first I was thinking that this would just lead to more bullshit deaths.

But then I thought about it. If the zombies are fixed a little more (so they can't walk through walls etc) and the idea of special zombies was true to the whole "oh god please not like l4d" perspective, then this could really liven this mod up.

I wouldent want anything too overpowered, just some kind of way to keep players on their toes. Ofcourse in the end its all up to Rocket and the Devs.

Thanks for your feedback :)

See, now this is what i like to see.. I am all for more frantic / horror additions to this game..The idea of stronger zombies is nice aswell.. I would love to see more emphasis put on the stylistic approach to the feel of the madness e.g through colour correction etc but thats something for standalone, hope i dont sound to pompus ^_^

think of the chaos on the street when during the zombie outbreak.

there could also be lots of signs of the chaos and im not talking about burned down cars lol

endless possibilities i really liked the announcement for more area buildings like the hospital (which could be really horror, too remember the silent hill hospital^^)

i hope there will me a mall and a prison, too.

i gave you a bean cus the prison reminds me of walking dead and how they used it as a fort and the mall from that also good zombie movie

Oh so apparently I have a DayZ Forum account!

As for topic, adding more to the horror aspect of the game is an absolutely fantastic idea! After all is the game not supposed to be a survival horror? Zombies are supposed to be scary anyway, and I can't say I find DayZ zombies particularly scary (especially when you shoot them and hear a voice with a heavy Slovak accent say "FAK DAT HURTS").

When you said haunted areas, you made me think of the Dunwich building in Fallout 3, in a game that isn't supposed to be particularly scary, that was pretty damned creepy. Blood everywhere, skeletons and bodies around, hallucinations/ghosts.

Something like this in DayZ that only happened in certain areas at night would be really cool, maybe certain wooded areas will become extra foggy at night.

And I reckon would also encourage more people to play night time servers more as I've noticed many servers are day time only, and the ones that have the rotation tend to be empty for the most part.

On the special infected, I do very much like the idea and I like that you've stayed away from L4D. The sneaky zombie shouldn't be too hard to make as it could just use the stealth profiles that the ArmA 2 NPC's use (only an idea).

Alternatively maybe take a leaf out of Dead Island's book, have variety in the zombies such as regular walker that shuffles along quite slowly but are relentless in following you unless you get very far away, but then occasionally what they had as "infected" where it was basically a healthy human body with the infection, so they are able to run very fast and hit harder than the slower zombies when aggro'd.

Edited by OTehNoes
  • Like 1

Bigger hospitals and other buildings are a must, eventually. Heliwrecks or whatever they end up using in the SA would be nice to be found in a dimly lit hard to get through overgrown forest.

We also need a completely explorable sewer system. Tight confined crawl areas, big open pipes big and underground water cachement areas, and of course overflow pipes into the ocean.

• Like 1

Maybe like massive zombie hordes like in the new trailer for the movie world war z? I would love to see that.

I like my infected mindless and stupid. No special nothing. Want to make a dark, misty forest and have a few crawlers in the fog that are unseen? Cool beans. Hospital idea and more depth to any part of the environment i'm all for.

just add some insible zombies with the most horrific roar possible now that will be scary and scary is what makes the namalsk mod popular

The only kind of special infected i would like to see is some sort of "super zombie" that regenerates...would personally scare the shit out of me.

EDIT: think about it, over time the virusremember it's not undead zombiesmight evolve.

Edited by GOD™

The only kind of special infected i would like to see is some sort of "super zombie" that regenerates...would personally scare the shit out of me.

EDIT: think about it, over time the virusremember it's not undead zombiesmight evolve.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/36447444.jpg

Edited by HashSlingingSlasher192