Sign in to follow this  
Virfortis

Low Content Posts

This is not a suggestion for the game, this is a suggestion for the forums.

It's time to step up and clean up this slum of a forum.

So why do I think we need to enforce this to some (some, not full) degree?

Because these forums are a joke, a real, bona fide joke, when it comes to discussion. Every other post involves the one liners any decent person would be sick of. "Your tears are delicious" "Go back to WoW" "Bye bye cya" "Welcome to DayZ" "This is Alpha"

I say enough, it's time to end this once and for all, break out the ban hammer, and get cracking on these people. The forums don't need them, the game will still take them, they are doing more harm than good, and it's time they were weeded out. Not even Rocket has the power to bring them to heel now, but an army of community moderators that don't take shit from anyone? That's going to alert people once the bans start being handed out.

The Escapist is probably the best place to pull from on this, so here are their rules:

Put Some Effort Into Your Communication

A well-made thread or a well-written comment engages its audience and facilitates discussion. We do ask that posters take just a little time to make their posts as readable as possible and keep their responses on topic. We also ask that you take a moment to check your spelling and grammar. Here are a couple things to avoid:

• Low Content Posts
    This could be anything from simply answering a question to posting LOL. These forums are used for discussion and low content posts halt discussion. In order to participate in conversation one should present an explanation of the reasoning that informs your opinion. "I like pie" isn't an argument. The fact that you like pie is well and good, but why do you like that pie? This explanation offers others an opportunity to respond to your opinion and avoids forum spam.
  • Pictures, Links and Videos
    These will all be considered low content posts if not accompanied by a well thought out opinion, debate or reasoning. Pics, links and videos should help to strengthen your stance or opinion, not the other way around.
  • Topicless Thread Creation
    Posting a thread without any discussion value, or with a deliberately misleading title, will get you penalized and your thread locked. This includes creating a poll without an accompanying discussion.

Edited by Virfortis
  • Like 2

Doesn't offend me enough that people make one-liners, that I would feel it'd be necessary to propose a joyous level of pompous elitism to the forums, I can look past them freely enough.

Sure, the main announcements of DayZ get clogged up by bullshit, but that's okay. It'd just get clogged up instead by pompous people who find new and fancy ways to say the same thing as the last guy. I like it much more when people just post a different kind of one-liner instead, because occasionally they're funny, and the rest i can just zip past.

Lastly, though:

"Who died and made you chief?" would be my one liner for this post.

Avast, take your arrogance elsewhere! *draws sword*

The kids and the a-holes won't like this suggestion... thus *Regulator*'s post.

Nice suggestion. I think the gaming industry needs to go even further and create separate games and forums for adults and kids. The child/kid/teenager/young adult mentality is totally legitimate, but adults grown out of it and frankly, we can't fucking stand it. Adults, well most adults, learn empathy for others, learn how tough life is for many people, learn that making a jerk reply is a lost oppurtunity to educate, etc, etc, etc. Thus no bullshit. On the game side, adults have experienced the real world long enough, that unrealistic behavior by NPC's, or unrealistic physics in airplanes, etcs, is like a bright red blinking light that says, IMMERSION BROKEN!

a joyous level of pompous elitism to the forums

You Do realize DayZ was DESIGNED towards the pompous elitist, right? The griefers and all?

This has nothing to do with elitism, and everything to do with increasing quality. It boils down to the motto of "say nothing at all if you can't say more than shit"

The whine posts and "OMG carebear" threads would quickly be buried if more attention was given to thoughtful posts. Gradually, people would come to realize that they're not actually getting anywhere by posting a thread about why they kill for lulz here, or why that bandit camps there, etc. The annoying stuff would slowly die down to become less of the 4chan level headache it is now. This is especially true when mods start a zero tolerance policy.

Hey, blanket nukes are the way to go when it comes to the internet.

The kids and the a-holes won't like this suggestion... thus *Regulator*'s post.

I'm simply expressing my laughter.

No need to call me an asshole.

Hello there

This has come up before.

I'm all for it.

But, a balance has to be kept. I like my moderated forums but sometimes they can become a little draconian. For eg, the official Bohemia forums. It's a great place, but sometimes is a little harsh.

For me, I find the rules here a little lax and its often difficult to get to any "meat" topic wise. (Before i get flamed, I love my meat in a gay way)

So, without any eliteism or holier than thouness IMHO there needs to be some stricter enforcement here.

Then again, that's just my opinion. perhaps the majority love it like this?

Rgds

LoK