Sign in to follow this  
TheMachine

Server population really dropping off

2-3 weeks ago I could go on at any time of the day or night (GMT time) and find literally dozens of EU servers with players.

Now, I go on, even at peak times and it's only a handful of populated servers.

Even the north american servers are looking pretty sparse.

I guess most of the population finally got bored of all the hacking.

Even most of the youtubers and streamers have stopped playing DayZ.

Oh well, 6-8 months and we'll have the standalone!

And the standalone will be hack proof?

Nothing can be made "hack proof".

The thing is, the Arma2 engine is just not set up as a Multiplayer game focusing on PvP. It trusts the client far too much, letting alot of these issues happen. The standalone will actually be intended from the ground up to not allow these scripts to be run, meaning people will actually have to develop hacks for it instead of just using the scripting system already in the game.

The thing is, the Arma2 engine is just not set up as a Multiplayer game focusing on PvP. It trusts the client far too much, letting alot of these issues happen. The standalone will actually be intended from the ground up to not allow these scripts to be run, meaning people will actually have to develop hacks for it instead of just using the scripting system already in the game.

Which I'm sure they will do, but as I understand it, that's a lot easier to detect and a lot harder to do in the first place.

Population is a lot more dispersed as well. There are a lot of servers and folks try to keep away from high populations as they attract skiddies.

• Like 2

Have you ever played arma2? The game is designed as a FPS. The goal is to kill the other team, The only thing you can do in arma is kill other players since there's nothing else to kill.

There have been 136,500 players online in the last 24 hours (keeping in mind thats during a weekend time). Not so long ago that was well up above 150,000 on a weekday.

I have not been testing as much as usual and if I do its on lingor island (not contributing to the actual alpha I know) but the graphics gitches literely make my eyes water. Can't wait for the next patch :)

Maybe it has to do with the fact that 1.7.2.5 ruined tents, vehicles, and left the gfx bug unaffected right before the devs took 3 weeks off.

• Like 1

Rocket said the standalone could be released as early as september.

There are plenty of fun scenarios you can run in ARMA that are not just kill the other guy. Other Mods for it as well that do the same.

I prefer Dayz myself, but you can find some videos on you tube to get an idea of its capabilities.

One of the neatest ones I saw was a hostage exchange, things went bad and there was bloodshed, but I think that had to do more with one of the hostages, as he was being annoying. (He was set on fire by the takers!)

He has changed that to before end of the year. It is a more realistic estimate, the earlier estimations were pretty much before he realized how real this was going to be I think.

I think a lot of people have gotten jaded, play lingor for a change, or are waiting for the next patch - which hopefully fixes the graphical glitches.

Or, as in my case, have stuff to do in RL.

There have been 136,500 players online in the last 24 hours (keeping in mind thats during a weekend time). Not so long ago that was well up above 150,000 on a weekday.

A month ago, when it was at its highest, the number of players online in the last 24 hours was actually around 200 000 (I've seen 207 000) on a weekend day.

People say it's because of school. Because yeah, people that go to school simply don't play the game anymore at all, not even on weekend days.

Also it's been going down at the same speed for a month, so yeah, nah.

Edited by Nucleqrwinter

I just think about 3 main reasons:

1- Ppls bored of hakers

2- Ppls bored of map and same places

3- Guild Wars 2 is out

Yes and this is my case too....cant wait anyway for the standalone version

Edited by Archana
  • Like 2

3- Guild Wars 2 is out

Oh wow. Thanks for reminding me about the launch being today! I had completely forgot about it. ....Have to get a VPN first though I ain't going with 2 MBPS internet from my cheap college >.<

Well, it dropped rather quickly initially but now seems to have stabilized just under 140K, guess its us hardcore players who are left :)

I'll believe it when I see it.

I just think about 3 main reasons:

1- Ppls bored of hakers

2- Ppls bored of map and same places

3- Guild Wars 2 is out

Yes and this is my case too....cant wait anyway for the standalone version

This all 3 are spot on.