ElemenoP

Weapon Personalization (maybe not what you're think)

Just a random idea.

Personalizing weapon information could grow some extra attachment to your character, and add an element of story to the game.

I'm not talking about adding silencers, red dots, flamethrowers, grenade launchers, car lighters, acogs or anything like that.

Names

It'd be cool if you could give a unique name to any un-named weapon. This name would stick with the weapon permanently from then on. Name your pistol the "Hand of God." Your AK the "Red Scare." Whatever your heart desires. The inventory screen could display some transparent text over the weapon denoting it's title.

This would lend a little personality to each weapon. It'd grow attachment between the player and his weapon, and add an element of person-hood to the guy you just killed. Once named, the name sticks forever. Some guns could eventually become legendary.

Legacy

At any point, the character can scratch a notch into the weapon. Zombie kills, player kills, whatever floats his boat. Could be tied to actual kill-counts or not. Either way, it lends a small amount of personality and history to each weapon.

Implications

These are very small, simple changes. However, it does change a few things in it's own way.

= Exploring for "natural" weapons could become preferable if you want to name your own weapons.

= Stealing weapons from a player means you may have to settle for an M4 named "Princess."

= Builds more attachment to your characters. Notching them allows you to keep track of the history you've had with the weapon. Cities visited, people killed, errant notches, whatever. Naming them gives the weapon a unique quality that may disappear when you die.

= Builds the storytelling aspects of the game. DayZ is nothing if not an excellent vehicle for storytelling. Giving players and weapons their own personalities allows for this to a greater extent.

Would be cool to also allow 'paint pots' or 'spray cans' to be implemented into the game to give them custom colours too.

The colouring wouldn't be hard to code etc. neither will the name but scratches into the weapon would.

Could resolve this by right clicking the gun and find something like 'inspect' were you can see the etch.

+1

Adding a name to the weapon would be great, but actually etching the name or killcount onto the weapon would be very difficult as that would mean modifying the texture or overlaying another texture over the gun which would change on every kill, and ultimately would unnecessarily use serverspace. the texture. An "inspect" detail which could simply read out the stats of the weapon to you would be a lot more probable, as far as I can tell.

I'm for the idea, though having an option to reset it should also exist. Imagine picking up a .50 cal some idiot has decided to call "Da n00bsl4y3r 3000!!!1!1!!". You wouldn't actually want to use a gun with that name now, would you? :P

You wouldn't actually want to use a gun with that name now' date=' would you? :P

[/quote']

If I still have my M107 when (if) this gets implemented, I'm definitely naming it "Da n00bsl4y3r 3000!!!1!1!!".

Though it's highly unlikely I'll be able to hang on to it for that long. ^^

I wouldn't mind attaching a scope and/or a silencer onto my Ak-47!!! This would be amazing, every gun (Other than snipers and some pistols) Could have tactical lights on, this would benifit un-experianced players or even experianced players with the night, this needs to happen, Rocket! Add this in!

Like what you're proposing, OP. It would spice up the Day Z world.

I'm all for it. Every little touch of character makes me like DayZ more and more.

Yeah this is a cool idea, would make the guns more sentimental and it would mean more if you lost it.

+1 from me!

I'm all up for more personalization and customizing, atleast so you can be abit more individual.

However i would like to see this for skins first, rather then weapons.

Nothing to fancy, just a few options of pants, shirts, hat and glasses.

Theres already a fair amount of clothing in the game, if you could change the colour on that to make your character recognizable would be sweet. If you could tell your friend that you're wearing a red shirt with black pants and a cap for example.

Only problem i can think of this is that everyone is going to want some green/black camo clothing.

Imagine picking up a .50 cal some idiot has decided to call "Da n00bsl4y3r 3000!!!1!1!!". You wouldn't actually want to use a gun with that name now' date=' would you? :P

[/quote']

I don't think the name matters, by that time I would be out being a n00bsl4y3r!!!1!1!!

I believe such an idea would benefit DayZ. The more the player feels he's in the real thing the better the experience. Maybe make it so that if you have a certain item you can etch it into the weapon? Still really awesome idea, but the keeping count as said earlier may put some stress onto the servers. Instead maybe the person has to scratch it out on his own time and rewrite it himself? I don't know, but something like that. Maybe you'd have to freehand it? Still such an idea is quite promising.

+1 to the name idea.

Would be cool to die, lose your weapon, then a month down the line or something, you loot it off someone? Feel like Names of guns should be Unique like Usernames

I'll probably name my weapons subtle references to other things. Maybe you need to get a pen or permanent marker before you can name your weapon?

Once again an idea that comes straight from Jagged Alliance. If you've used a gun very often, you could give it a name. Things like this are called "fluff" for a reason, maybe once the mod is in beta something like this would be viable. Personally I don't get too attached to items my character has so I guess its more of a thing for hoarders / loot lovers.