Sign in to follow this  
tandwan

Banning server hoppers (Barracks Hoppers)

I want to again make a disclaimer here because it seems if I don't people get their underwear in a knot thinking they can tell other people what they can't do instead of contribute to a thread. With that said, if you don't have an answer here, I don't really give a fuck about your opinion on this topic.

Really.

Honestly.

I don't give a shit if you think me banning people for barracks hopping is bad because you don't play on my server. If you did you would applaud and thank me for trying to keep people from using your barracks and other valueable loot spawns like an assembly line. For those of you who don't know what server hopping is, let me explain :

Server hopping is the act of a player going to any high yield spawn, looting it, logging out and then doing it on another server. It's frowned upon, but there's nothing done about it and there's no rule saying it's going to get you banned. I'm going to change that on our server but I have a question.

I'm an honest admin, we treat our players fairly and we give them what they want. A hack free (most of the time) well run and running server where they can spend their time and enjoy the game we love. We know we need players because without players the fucking server is useless so we do our best to ensure their time spent there is enjoyable. One thing that has plagued us heavily as of late is server hopping players who are loot whoring on a lower patch then 2.5 and jumping from server to server to gather up their precious loot. I hate it, because instead of getting it like we did, you just go to another server and steal all their shit then rinse and repeat. This gets me a little annoyed and I want to do something about it.

Is there a program where I can traack where players have spawned in at? Other then hacks. I have no intention of using it to track tents and players, I just want to catch server hoppers and ban them off my server.

• Like 1

Not trying to be flippant, but It's called Private Server.

Otherwise, their Hive, their rules, silly or disagreeable to you as those may be.

You prefaced your post with a disclaimer that presupposes you know precisely what people are going to say. That being, "You cannot ban people for server hopping."

So, you already know what you're doing is going to be either unpopular or outright wrong.

Further into your post you specifically state "I hate it..." and then, "...I want to do something about it."

Basically, you've set this entire post up around what you want and what you're going to do. This is very obviously yet another situation of a self-entitled Admin forcing his/her ruleset on the playerbase without any justifications outside of..."This gets me a little annoyed..."

I'm so very sorry that you don't like players taking advantage of the Hive by jumping around to various servers to obtain loot faster then you apparently do, but that doesn't justify you starting to track then ban these players. Perhaps next you will ban players who hop to another server to use a vehicle to cross the map then hop back into your server closer to their target destination?

Sickening. I eagerly await the Server Complaints to roll in over your clear abusive nature. Another bully forcing their views on people.

To answer your question, yes, there is an Rcon suite that tracks player locations upon login/logout. At least it did, they've been talking about removing it to prevent admin abusing it...like you would be doing.

• Like 7

You prefaced your post with a disclaimer that presupposes you know precisely what people are going to say. That being, "You cannot ban people for server hopping."

So, you already know what you're doing is going to be either unpopular or outright wrong.

Further into your post you specifically state "I hate it..." and then, "...I want to do something about it."

Basically, you've set this entire post up around what you want and what you're going to do. This is very obviously yet another situation of a self-entitled Admin forcing his/her ruleset on the playerbase without any justifications outside of..."This gets me a little annoyed..."

I'm so very sorry that you don't like players taking advantage of the Hive by jumping around to various servers to obtain loot faster then you apparently do, but that doesn't justify you starting to track then ban these players. Perhaps next you will ban players who hop to another server to use a vehicle to cross the map then hop back into your server closer to their target destination?

Sickening. I eagerly await the Server Complaints to roll in over your clear abusive nature. Another bully forcing their views on people.

To answer your question, yes, there is an Rcon suite that tracks player locations upon login/logout. At least it did, they've been talking about removing it to prevent admin abusing it...like you would be doing.

I read this and I laughed because you're probably one of the people I would be banning. Thanks for telling me, i'll go look it up so I can ban garbage players like you who server hop and call it legit and alt F4 and call it (part of the game).

PS: We ban for Alt F4 and combat logging too. And we have a very, very long ban list. Guess that makes us big bad bullies for ruining your play style ^_^. We also kick for people with non-PG 13 names (no swearing in the names) we ban for racism, and we ban for people who dupe gear. Guess you probably won't want to play on our server considering i'm trying to make my server a good place to play while it seems you just want server admins to not give a fuck and let you run the server :)

Last post from me, not a single fuck will be given past this point as you gave me the answer I was looking for.

Edited by Tandwan
  • Like 1

IMPORTANT: There are RULES that you need to follow as a server administrator. They are as follows:

• The server MAY NOT be passworded
  • You MAY NOT run any other mods, or keys.
  • You CANNOT kick other players for your friends and clanmates
  • You CANNOT lock the server for ANY reason at ANY time
  • You CANNOT edit the DayZ Mod mission files
  • Battleye MUST be installed and running at ALL TIMES
  • Minimum slot count of 40 (30 for countries where bandwidth is expensive i.e. developing countries)
  • You may only ban players for two reasons: Malicious talk, and racism.
  • You may only kick for disruptive behavior (such as continued VOIP over side channel).

in the Rules for running a server it states you can only ban for 2 reasons., malicious talk and racism.

sorry I guess they added this:

11. As a server admin you must not:

You are not permitted to ban players for killing yourself or clan members.

You are not permitted to shutdown your server when your killed.

You are not permitted to shutdown your server when you lose a vehicle.

You are not permitted to kick or ban for smacktalk.

You are not permitted to ban for suspected cheats or exploits of a non-server-disruptive nature, including but not limited to ghosting, unverified cheating, duping and similar, UNLESS you have solid evidence, IE logs.

12. You are permitted to kick or ban for hate speech, including racism and homophobia.

All kick or ban actions must be reported in the forums under section

13. You are permitted to kick or ban for ongoing severe hacking that is affecting players in a server-disruptive way.

All kick or ban actions must be reported in the forums under section

14. PVP is enabled at all times no matter the rpg element the admin tries to set.

but how do you know that someone went to another server after yours and looted same area? Proof? All you can tell is someone looted a area on your server, than DC.... so?(yes its lame, i know) how do you know they did anything else? Proof? seems flimsey to me. I hate the DCing and farming loot and all that but its seems a little presumtuous of you unless you followed someone to another server? Idk, im not a admin, i have no idea.

Edited by dms

I read this and I laughed because you're probably one of the people I would be banning. Thanks for telling me, i'll go look it up so I can ban garbage players like you who server hop and call it legit and alt F4 and call it (part of the game).

PS: We ban for Alt F4 and combat logging too. And we have a very, very long ban list. Guess that makes us big bad bullies for ruining your play style ^_^. We also kick for people with non-PG 13 names (no swearing in the names) we ban for racism, and we ban for people who dupe gear. Guess you probably won't want to play on our server considering i'm trying to make my server a good place to play while it seems you just want server admins to not give a fuck and let you run the server :)

Last post from me, not a single fuck will be given past this point as you gave me the answer I was looking for.

I'm curious....how can you tell the difference between an Alt+F4 and someones client crashing?? I know it sounds dumb, but it does happen. Now that I said that, let me ask you another question. You say you ban for Alt+F4.....How do you know whn players are doing it, if they're not doing it right in front of you to you directly?? Seems that your ban only works in YOUR favor and not for anyone else on your server. I bet you're the type of admin which abuses your powers. I hope all your players come play my server where there in no ban for anything usless you're breaking the DayZ rules.

Now on to the topic at hand....

You can prevent server hoppers at the NW Airfield. It's called SNIPING. If you kill someone at the NW Air Field, they have the most painful restock and long run back there. Sometimes it discourages them from even attempting to go again for a long while. I think you get what I'm saying.

• Like 1

Tandwan is the kind of admin that is needed.

Beans for you, mate.

Tandwan is the kind of admin that is needed.

Beans for you, mate.

Yea, you're right...he bans who he wants when he wants, rather than following the DayZ server ban rules. Yup, that's exactly what the DayZ community needs.

People keep forgetting that when they put up a server for players to play on, that there are rules to follow. They seem to get an egotistical overwhelming sense of false power, and think THEY make the rules.

If you can't handle being an admin and follow simple rules, then don't put a server up. Simple as that.

Edited by Symptom

yes, hes actually banning without solid proof, that means he now is subject to be blacklisted.

11/e says you can, it even specifically mentions ghosting, providing you have the logs to back up your actions. Rule 11 paragraph 5 seems to be causing a lot of bother because its a catch all and it seems people don't bother to read it properly. It's not a very well written rule that's for sure but there it is.

Yea, you're right...he bans who he wants when he wants, rather than following the DayZ server ban rules. Yup, that's exactly what the DayZ community needs.

People keep forgetting that when they put up a server for players to play on, that there are rules to follow. They seem to get an egotistical overwhelming sense of false power, and think THEY make the rules.

If you can't handle being an admin and follow simple rules, then don't put a server up. Simple as that.

Sarcasm is a bit hard to translate through the internet, at least I gave it my best, lol.

As it should be clear for everyone, exploting the game (ghosting, ServerHoppiong) is forbidden by DayZ Staff (Got no original quote atm)

If you have a prove, you are allowed to ban for it !

Nothing wrong in this thread and of this ServerAdmin.

His goal is to create a Server as rocket imagines

"I want to ban for exploits, but I really want to be sure. Is there any way to get prove it? i.e. logs?"

And now ppl shitstorm on him for not banning w/o evidence and asking for ways to get evidence

wtf is this

IMPORTANT: There are RULES that you need to follow as a server administrator. They are as follows:

• The server MAY NOT be passworded
  • You MAY NOT run any other mods, or keys.
  • You CANNOT kick other players for your friends and clanmates
  • You CANNOT lock the server for ANY reason at ANY time
  • You CANNOT edit the DayZ Mod mission files
  • Battleye MUST be installed and running at ALL TIMES
  • Minimum slot count of 40 (30 for countries where bandwidth is expensive i.e. developing countries)
  • You may only ban players for two reasons: Malicious talk, and racism.
  • You may only kick for disruptive behavior (such as continued VOIP over side channel).

in the Rules for running a server it states you can only ban for 2 reasons., malicious talk and racism.

You know you quoted the old rules, right?

i quoted the only rules i could find posted here, old/new... idk. not sure why they dont update them then.

As it should be clear for everyone, exploting the game (ghosting, ServerHoppiong) is forbidden by DayZ Staff (Got no original quote atm)

If you have a prove, you are allowed to ban for it !

Nothing wrong in this thread and of this ServerAdmin.

His goal is to create a Server as rocket imagines

"I want to ban for exploits, but I really want to be sure. Is there any way to get prove it? i.e. logs?"

And now ppl shitstorm on him for not banning w/o evidence and asking for ways to get evidence

wtf is this

What is going on is that people want shit to go their way, all the time. They don't run servers, they have no intention at all of floating the money to get a server nor do they care anything beyond logging in and durping around in this game. They have this personal set of rules they follow and when someone doesn't follow them they get up in arms about it. Notice there's one guy in here saying that this has something to do with me not being able to get gear in the barracks or some shit. How that person figured that observation would be relevant in this thread is beyond me.

We have people here linking obscure rules that were changed a while ago because they just want to throw their two cents in here. The best part about all this is the few people who think they will change my actions by telling me that I will get blacklisted and ya-da, ya-da so on and so forth. My favorite quote in here is the 12 year old who says "Op got pooped on" I actually laughed in real life over that. I got pooped on? Seriously? Wow.

This thread served its purpose in getting me the information I needed, I even said - I'm done with this thread and closed it when I was done. Didn't come back, didn't care, didn't read anything till this morning when I opened it up and skimmed the page for a laugh. I will be banning for people barracks hopping. If you need to ask "How do you have proof people are barracks hopping?" then I hope you are making a sad attempt at trolling. Honestly, how fucking stupid do you have to be to sit out at the north west or any other 'military' loot area and see people constantly spawn in, run through, and spawn out. The nifty part is since my server is lower pop I can use Rcon to just monitor who logs in and who logs out. Thanks to zombie spawns I can tell when someone is in the barracks and when someone isn't. Next step is simply look who logged in and ta-da instant ban, having a low pop, low traffic server really helps here. It doesn't take anything beyond a GED to figure some of these things out, I know some of you still are baffled by simple logic and observation, it's ok, I forgive you.

In closing (as I go make some breakfast) I hope you enjoyed posting in this thread as much as I enjoyed reading this vomit.

i quoted the only rules i could find posted here, old/new... idk. not sure why they dont update them then.

These have been up since the 6th of August.

If you are found breaking the following rules, your server will more than likely be suspended at most server providers and if it's not suspended it will result in the entire ip range being BLACKLISTED by DayZ support staff.

1. Your server must follow the DayZ name convention.

DayZ - Location ID (version/beta buildnr) [difficulty][timezone] dayzmod.com - hosted by Customtext.

2. Your server slots must be 40 slots minimum.

Please also note no server provider is allowed to provide servers below 40 slots. However there is an exception for developing countries or countries where bandwidth is expensive, for those countries minimum slot count is now 30.

3. You must not edit your server files in anyway, this includes:

Mission file to enable side chat.

Modified Hive files.

4. Your server must not be password protected or locked.

BEC connection flood #lock is allowed but must be set to no more then five minutes.

Servers may also be locked briefly before scheduled restarts, again, this may not exceed five minutes.

5. Your server must have BattlEye = 1; set within the server.cfg.

(as of 1.7.2.4 the hive will not allow you to play if this is set to 0).

6. Your server must have reportingIP = "arma2oapc.master.gamespy.com"; set within your server.cfg.

7. Your server must have requiredBuild = replace with newest beta build; set within your config file.

8. Your server must have verifySignature = 2; set within your config file.

9. Your server must have kickDuplicate = 1; set within your config file.

10. All server problems must be reported to http://support.dayzmod.com.

11. As a server admin you must not:

You are not permitted to ban players for killing yourself or clan members.

You are not permitted to shutdown your server when your killed.

You are not permitted to shutdown your server when you lose a vehicle.

You are not permitted to kick or ban for smacktalk.

You are not permitted to ban for suspected cheats or exploits of a non-server-disruptive nature, including but not limited to ghosting, unverified cheating, duping and similar, UNLESS you have solid evidence, IE logs.

12. You are permitted to kick or ban for hate speech, including racism and homophobia.

All kick or ban actions must be reported in the forums under section http://dayzmod.com/f...heat-reporting/

13. You are permitted to kick or ban for ongoing severe hacking that is affecting players in a server-disruptive way.

All kick or ban actions must be reported in the forums under section http://dayzmod.com/f...heat-reporting/

14. PVP is enabled at all times no matter the rpg element the admin tries to set.

15. Do NOT request un-necessary instance IDs, location IDs, or whitelisting from us. If you abuse the system all of your servers may be blacklisted.

NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS OR WHAT SERVICE PROVIDER YOUR WITH THESE ARE THE RULES PLEASE ABIDE BY THEM.

What is going on is that people want shit to go their way, all the time. They don't run servers, they have no intention at all of floating the money to get a server nor do they care anything beyond logging in and durping around in this game. They have this personal set of rules they follow and when someone doesn't follow them they get up in arms about it. Notice there's one guy in here saying that this has something to do with me not being able to get gear in the barracks or some shit. How that person figured that observation would be relevant in this thread is beyond me.

We have people here linking obscure rules that were changed a while ago because they just want to throw their two cents in here. The best part about all this is the few people who think they will change my actions by telling me that I will get blacklisted and ya-da, ya-da so on and so forth. My favorite quote in here is the 12 year old who says "Op got pooped on" I actually laughed in real life over that. I got pooped on? Seriously? Wow.

This thread served its purpose in getting me the information I needed, I even said - I'm done with this thread and closed it when I was done. Didn't come back, didn't care, didn't read anything till this morning when I opened it up and skimmed the page for a laugh. I will be banning for people barracks hopping. If you need to ask "How do you have proof people are barracks hopping?" then I hope you are making a sad attempt at trolling. Honestly, how fucking stupid do you have to be to sit out at the north west or any other 'military' loot area and see people constantly spawn in, run through, and spawn out. The nifty part is since my server is lower pop I can use Rcon to just monitor who logs in and who logs out. Thanks to zombie spawns I can tell when someone is in the barracks and when someone isn't. Next step is simply look who logged in and ta-da instant ban, having a low pop, low traffic server really helps here. It doesn't take anything beyond a GED to figure some of these things out, I know some of you still are baffled by simple logic and observation, it's ok, I forgive you.

In closing (as I go make some breakfast) I hope you enjoyed posting in this thread as much as I enjoyed reading this vomit.

So for instance someone only has 30 mins to play Dayz, they last left off near NW airfield. Log in, do the barracks run, and then have to log out to goto bed or study or whatever the reason is for the evening. You will ban them for that? Because that is what you said. We all have to log in/out eventually. So is there a time frame you would like us to be in game before we are considered server hoppers?

So for instance someone only has 30 mins to play Dayz, they last left off near NW airfield. Log in, do the barracks run, and then have to log out to goto bed or study or whatever the reason is for the evening. You will ban them for that? Because that is what you said. We all have to log in/out eventually. So is there a time frame you would like us to be in game before we are considered server hoppers?

Then go log in at a place you would normally consider safe to log out in, make your way to the barracks, loot them and go back; that way you will expose yourself to the risk everyone else has to expose themselves to. A normal person does not log out inside the barracks unless there is a clear intention to abuse the mechanic upon logging back in.

It's pretty damn clear what the guy's intention is, banning morons who log in the barracks, breeze through and log out while completely avoiding the risk of ever having to go outside the building. I'ts not exactly cool for someone who plays on the server regularly to spend 30 minutes running and being denied loot without a fighting chance.

As an admin, I wouldn't hesitate to ban for certain types of server-hopping, alt-f4ing, ghosting and other ridiculous shit as long as some proof was available. If it results in being blacklisted, then so be it, which is precisely what stops me from hosting my own server.

Edited by s4pphire