Dalelol

Heli Crash FAQ

Not accusing you of saying I am wrong (Hey, the info I have posted is based mainly on my own experiences and some from my squad). And in retrospect I can agree that the red square is "wrong" (In the sense that some people claim to have found heli crashes outside of here, I myself included).

And yes, I can agree, you may very well use that map and make your own route (I would actually recommend making your own route, if this thread gets popular, then yes, some sad sacks will probably camp the route.)

If you take a look at the southbeach map and the DayzDB map that I used, there are marked Heli crashes in pretty much every open field, so yes. This map may be "correct" in the end, if you follow this map and visit all these spots, you are bound to find atleast 50% of the crashes on the server... But in the end, I wanted to "encourage" more exploring, all the spots marked on the southbeach map CAN have crashes, but there can also be crashes outside of these spawns. And you are in no way more likely to find a heli crash at a place cluttered with crash markers on that map, then to just visit a large, open field.

Anyways guys, I'm off for the night (2:30 AM here). Keep throwing questions at me and I will answer them in about 10 hours.

In the end, it doesnt matter. Thing that matter if that this thread can help ppl.. Im actually working on about the same route as you are. But i do that when i start off fresh and isnt finding any weapons in places like Balota. I avoid elektro and cherno when beeing unarmed :P

Sounds interesting, sadly it's in german so I will have to improvise what each word means, but seeing as english (and norwegian for that matter, as I am Norwegian) are both Germanic languages I shouldnt be too far off. Thanks for the link, the truth is im just going to get google to translate it for me.

Just so I get a little boost in the start, I am suppose to download the "Helikopter.rar" and then all the info is in the pdf, right? Right.

Edit2: To be honest, it seems like these are really just tutorials to make good Aram2 videos, and the "Helikopter.rar" just gave me a .pdf about, what seems to be a tutorial on how to make helicopters fly "autopilot" in Arma2... Neither of which really helps in a guide for Helicopter Crash Sites...

http://www.arma2base.de/include.php?path=download&contentid=3061&download=go

heli crash starts when the mission starts (server start). With NVGoggles you see that the heli is "burning" (smoke) for 10-20 min. I don't know about a rnd time trigger, thats start the spawnscript after a certain time. I don't want open mission-data, because it will be kill my game fun.

Heli Crash spawns are random - in a fixed sector* (see 1. pic from OP). All other maps with a mysterious X - are misleading.

*as an example of a fixed sector. rule of thumb: 1-2km from the edge pull - and then only in an open field.

cu

I hope you understand me. I never had English at school.

Yes, I realise now that the square I marked up in paint might not be entirely accurate and might extend as much as 500-700m further north.

As for parachutes, I am fairly certain that the HUEY (UH1H) that is infact the "DayZ Chopper" has parachutes, so my point still stands.

A member of my group tried parachuting out of the huey once, he died instantly. I really wouldn't recommend anyone do it unless it is absolutely neccessary.

http://www.arma2base...061&download=go

heli crash starts when the mission starts (server start). With NVGoggles you see that the heli is "burning" (smoke) for 10-20 min. I don't know about a rnd time trigger, thats start the spawnscript after a certain time. I don't want open mission-data, because it will be kill my game fun.

Heli Crash spawns are random - in a fixed sector* (see 1. pic from OP). All other maps with a mysterious X - are misleading.

*as an example of a fixed sector. rule of thumb: 1-2km from the edge pull - and then only in an open field.

cu

I hope you understand me. I never had English at school.

Yes, I understand you now, thanks for elaborating on your post :)

A member of my group tried parachuting out of the huey once, he died instantly. I really wouldn't recommend anyone do it unless it is absolutely neccessary.

Parachuting out of the Huey IS possible, but it can often be buggy and lead to death. Especially ejecting while the chopper is descending or going at full speed can be risky behavious. Personally I have never died from ejecting at speeds lower than 100km/h with a steady altitude.

True. But we found a crash site at Berezino, so the square is not true

True. But we found a crash site at Berezino, so the square is not true

Not as much true/false, more like... "info".

Anyways, yes, I am aware that the square is not perfect, which I have corrected in the comments...

not sure as to whether this was a bugged spawn or hackers or something but me and a few friends found a chopper crash in the open fields north of cherno

Okay so the thing I am curious about is this. Last night I ran a long time aroudn the map and I found 3 of the chopper crashes for the server I play on. I checked the loot for each and grab some mild valuables nothing too exciting. Now after you loot the choppers will they respawn to a new spot or will the loot eventually respawn? ...or will these permanitly be in those spots until a hard server restart. Just curious about how they work...finding them isnt too hard, red square or not.

Also my fav approach to a choper crash is to toss one maybe 2 smoke grenades..depending on how succesful that first smoke grenade was. The smoke leads most of the zombies away and I can skurt about cheking for loot. NOW I do that at night, day time zombies have better vission so sometimes you cant help but fight your way. If you need smoke grenades check dear stands, they really are amazing loot spots at times.

This is likely a majorly noob question, but if chopper sites only get re-stocked at server restart, is there a way I can tell (on six launcher, dayz commander, in-game) to tell how long a server has been running?

I notice sometimes there's a message when you join a server indicating what time of the day a server will restart. Is that the only way? Are there typical (local) times of the day a server will restart?

Very informative but this:

1km in each direction. (Thats 1000m, Americans...).

Was quite uncalled for. But I suppose it's "cool" to bash America nowadays so yeah...those dang Americans with their NASCAR and their apple pie and their inability to convert units of measurement.

Am I cool now? Hip enough for the kids? Love me, internet?

Edited by Thasik
  • Like 1

When you are looking for extra loot piles that might be buried under the helicopter,

does the 'gear' icon still display when you hover over it? Or do you have to guess

the position and press 'G' to reveal the hidden loot?

How far away can the furthest loot pile be? Or are they all right next to the helicopter?

When you are looking for extra loot piles that might be buried under the helicopter,

does the 'gear' icon still display when you hover over it? Or do you have to guess

the position and press 'G' to reveal the hidden loot?

How far away can the furthest loot pile be? Or are they all right next to the helicopter?

Yes, the "gear" icon (Gun with some ammo beneath it) will show up.

The furthest away I have ever seen is about 5 meters, not too far away...

I have been inactive for some time due to personal problems, but I am back baby :)

Edited by Dalelol

There's also many spots at the NWAF that crashed helis can spawn. I have marked them in black. These are only ones that I have encountered myself, while camping the NWAF for other snipers, which I do a LOT, so there are probably more.

Heli loot does not respawn and the helis will always respawn when the server does. They will always contain 4 loot piles. Sometimes the loot is under the heli, as people have said.

6OIKX.jpg

Edited by Fapnapkin
  • Like 1

There's also many spots at the NWAF that crashed helis can spawn. I have marked them in black. These are only ones that I have encountered myself, while camping the NWAF for other snipers, which I do a LOT, so there are probably more.

Heli loot does not respawn and the helis will always respawn when the server does. They will always contain 4 loot piles. Sometimes the loot is under the heli, as people have said.

Nice map, keep in mind tho that Helis can spawn anywhere in an open field, of course with a map like yours, if you check all the spots, you have also checked all the open fields...

Edit: edited out the image as it takes alot of space, the map in question is the last post on the previous page.

Edited by Dalelol

Don't worry kiddo, I am used to meeting autistic people with the attention-span of a squirrel on the internet, and reading a "wall of text" can often be hard, which is why I made it prettier with some pictures for you, you are welcome!

Oh noes! Some random prick on the internet with a low post count and no avatar called me autistic! Aw, I'm going to cry now!... No wait, that's not it... I was going to say "Troll harder faggot" and move on with no fucks given.

Anyway sorry for the delay. I was without the internet for two weeks and you've probably fucked off back to CoD because you're too dumb to zero a sniper rifle, but I had to mention that for me the spawn map still works. Crash sites appear where the map says it does. I very much doubt it has changed or will change as there are only a number of places they can realistically spawn using ARMA's mechanics. Even if they moved them a bit it makes little difference. There are a limited number of open areas they will fit away from the coast.

Edited by PoisonedAl