Dembc

Banned from US 6 Portland

Such a joke, admins who let their own clan and their friends pvp disconnect whenever they want without a ban. But when I disconnect in a "fight" without the intention to, i get insta banned since he or his friends wanted the kill so badly.

Here's the vid btw, disconnect around 5:55:

@Jack Dant: the server was rebooted because I've had complaints about massive desynch and unusual high pings. I gave everyone on Portland a 3 minute heads-up with updated ETA until reboot so everyone can get out of their vehicles to save them to avoid being stranded without their vehicle in the middle of nowhere.

@Dembc:

it's a nice (like you say) story, but I am not inclined to do anything about it for the following reasons:

#1 I am not the admin who banned you and I'm not going to overrule another admin's decision on this case since I was not in any way involved nor am I able to verify any of it because I do not have access to the logs. I spoke with the admin who banned you and he says the story he got from you had nothing to do with Skype, you told him you had a friend who needed help on another server. Said admin was merciful enough to only ban you for a week, unless a higher ranked-admin overruled his decision.

#2 When playing DayZ you should either set your Skype status to "Busy" or close it altogether. I recommend the latter because Skype can be quite a resource hog.

#3 Your claim that the PBE clan member "PvP-disconnected" is pretty lame to say the least. Everyone who watched said scene in the video can see that his body just had spawned into the game when you shot him. He said he was unconscious before he was even able to realize he was in danger because he was still at the "Receiving..." screen when your folks shot him. It's not PvP-disconnecting if he's not able to play an active role in a firefight. If anything it's spawn-protection. If the game's own spawn protection were working properly at the time you wouldn't have been able to hurt him at least for a minimal amount of time after he gets eyes on his surroundings.

That said, my personal opinion: tell your story walking! You've been caught numerous times PvP disconnecting and so have your friends. They can call themselves lucky not to be banned yet as well because the admins on Portland don't usually ban on single incidents.

I'd love to see some official citation of the "combat logging" giving admins a carte blanche to ban people. I really would.

Taken from the current rules thread:

BEWARE - The same restrictions apply to Non-Dev run servers!

- IT MAY NEVER BE PASSWORDED

- NO OTHER KEYS OR MODS. NONE. PERIOD.

- NO KICKING TO MAKE ROOM FOR 'FRIENDS' OR CLANMATES

- NO LOCKING FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME

- IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO UPDATE YOUR SERVER TO THE LATEST VERSION OF DAYZ

- Their are only two reasons why you' date=' as a server owner, should ban a player on your server. Those two reasons are: Malicious talk, and racism. You may not ban a user for stealing your loot, killing you, spying on you, etc.

- You may only kick for disruptive behavior (such as continued VOIP over side channel). But you may not kick due to race or language or because the person does something you do not like.

- Kicking for extremely excessive ping or desync is permitted, but if abused is grounds for blacklisting

Failure to adhere to these rules will BAN YOUR SERVER'S IP from DayZ.

If you have any questions, then please post in this thread, or email me; [i']dayzmatt@gmail.com

Thanks for the answer app0815! I really do appreciate that you took your time answering me. I was not informed that I "only" got a 1 week ban, in that case, it might have been a good choice wether the disconnect was intentional or not. Just as a warning.

@Jack Dant: the server was rebooted because I've had complaints about massive desynch and unusual high pings. I gave everyone on Portland a 3 minute heads-up with updated ETA until reboot so everyone can get out of their vehicles to save them to avoid being stranded without their vehicle in the middle of nowhere.

The reboot was perfect. I took the screenshot as a precaution because it happened shortly after a friend got killed inside a big camp in the server. But the server came back up no problem.

Still, we saw you guys disconnect and come back on several times during a firefight one or two days before that.

I think that the admin have to be the one who has to explain the ban

Exactly' date=' indeed. I cant understand the logic behind the other reasoning.

#3 Your claim that the PBE clan member "PvP-disconnected" is pretty lame to say the least. Everyone who watched said scene in the video can see that his body just had spawned into the game when you shot him. He said he was unconscious before he was even able to realize he was in danger because he was still at the "Receiving..." screen when your folks shot him. It's not PvP-disconnecting if he's not able to play an active role in a firefight. If anything it's spawn-protection. If the game's own spawn protection were working properly at the time you wouldn't have been able to hurt him at least for a minimal amount of time after he gets eyes on his surroundings.

Not true, sure this is word against word as well. But I was one of the people in the video and if you know swedish it is even said that one of us gets shot first and dies then we see the guy on the hill and shoots at him.

Word against word again, but with this one we have proof.

I'd love to see some official citation of the "combat logging" giving admins a carte blanche to ban people. I really would.

Taken from the current rules thread:

BEWARE - The same restrictions apply to Non-Dev run servers!

- IT MAY NEVER BE PASSWORDED

- NO OTHER KEYS OR MODS. NONE. PERIOD.

- NO KICKING TO MAKE ROOM FOR 'FRIENDS' OR CLANMATES

- NO LOCKING FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME

- IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO UPDATE YOUR SERVER TO THE LATEST VERSION OF DAYZ

- Their are only two reasons why you' date=' as a server owner, should ban a player on your server. Those two reasons are: Malicious talk, and racism. You may not ban a user for stealing your loot, killing you, spying on you, etc.

- You may only kick for disruptive behavior (such as continued VOIP over side channel). But you may not kick due to race or language or because the person does something you do not like.

- Kicking for extremely excessive ping or desync is permitted, but if abused is grounds for blacklisting

Failure to adhere to these rules will BAN YOUR SERVER'S IP from DayZ.

If you have any questions, then please post in this thread, or email me; [i']dayzmatt@gmail.com

There is also rocket's thread stating (something to the effect of) that pvp disconnecting is a dog's act, and is not supported in anyway by him or the dev team.

You do it on my server and I'll ban you too.

@Jack Dant:

You read the bible? There's a passage I got memorized. John 8:7. "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone."

There is also rocket's thread stating (something to the effect of) that pvp disconnecting is a dog's act' date=' and is not supported in anyway by him or the dev team.

You do it on my server and I'll ban you too.

[/quote']

That post can be found here:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=8029

The problem is that you need repeat instances, AND some proof that its being done. It currently sounds like some kid screams "fire!" and on certain servers, the person gets banned. Wheres the real proof? Wheres the repeat instances? It needs to be determined that it wasn't a one time accident and/or that the player actually KNEW he was [still] in a fight.

These people are scum on earth... but I would never ban anybody without something to back up on.

Jesus Christ you people.

I'm growing weary of the baseless accusations.

ONE member of PBE was shown as 'combat' logging, though it's hard to really blame him seeing as how he logged on face-to-face with 20 server-hopping Swedes. You would have called it combat logging even if he disconnected before an alleged shot was fired (I understand very little Swedish). You log in and have less than a second to assess the situation and determine a proper course of action while a dozen unfamiliar players are raiding your camp and about to blow your face off regardless. That isn't what PVP is meant to be and I'm willing to bet that, put in the same situation, you would all do the same thing. This is like condemning the entire US military because one threw a puppy into a gulley.

Also, anecdotes don't equate proof. "Dur hur but we saw you disconnect a few days ago or something!" means absolutely nothing. For all anyone knows you could be butthurt over something one of the members of PBE did or said to you and are just looking for some kind of revenge (albeit pathetically).

Anyway, the moral of the story is to play with your sound on.

----------------------------------

As I said, I didn't want to make this thread a discussion about the video. My questions are answered and this thread should be considered as closed. Any further discussions about PVP disconnecting itself or a specific case can be handled in a new or already existing thread!

----------------------------------

Actually, Rocket NEVER mentions allowing admins to ban repeat offenders (or first time for that matter) of combat logging. All he mentions is implementing an "auto kill" feature if the master server detects too many log on/off attempts.

So yeah... Admins be breaking dem rules (again again again...)

Actually' date=' Rocket NEVER mentions allowing admins to ban repeat offenders (or first time for that matter) of combat logging. All he mentions is implementing an "auto kill" feature if the master server detects too many log on/off attempts.

So yeah... Admins be breaking dem rules (again again again...)

[/quote']

Disconnecting to avoid death IS an exploit.

It is against the rules and has been for weeks.

Just because its not mentioned IN the rules does not mean its acceptable or you cannot kick / ban someone for it..

Its exploiting.... I SERIOUSLY doubt Rocket or any of the devs will take action against a server who bans someone who had been warned and continued to do it.

[Citation Needed]

I'm not kidding - fetch some proof of that claim. Cause I sure as heck cannot find it anywhere.

The proof is in the fact that Rocket has said he has no time for anyone doing this... the proof is also in the fact that there are no posts warning servers to cease.

Id actually love to be a server host and have you test it.

The proof is in the fact that Rocket has said he has no time for anyone doing this... the proof is also in the fact that there are no posts warning servers to cease.

So you have no proof - I thought as much. :dodgy:

So you have no proof - I thought as much. :dodgy:

And neither do you?

But we do have Rocket acknowlding it as an exploit and exploits are against the rules.

Gotta love trolls.

You see - here's the beauty of it. There are rules - written ones. They are the guidelines admins have to adhere by. If it ain't written there, it ain't a rule.

All that Rocket said is that he doesn't want it, and it will be implemented at a later time - that does not equal "Ban dem disconnecters" - especially so since you cannot prove combat loggers or disprove them.

Corruption everywhere.

Thats aint how it works..

Judges set new precents all the time in the real world... laws can be made and taken away... also rules can be ignored.

Thats aint how it works..

Judges set new precents all the time in the real world... laws can be made and taken away... also rules can be ignored.

A valid argument - if any precedents had indeed been made. Try again.