Sign in to follow this  
moriak

[POLL] Standalone and instances

DayZ standalone and instances  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have instances is the standalone?

• Yes, I might not play otherwise.
    • Yes, but I'll play anyway.
    • Don't care / Not decided
    • No, but I'll play anyway.
    • No, I might not play otherwise.

I've been reading through the latest interview with Rocket and once again he mentions instancing in the standalone version of DayZ.

Right now we have no information on how this instancing will work. It could work like standard MMO instances with loading screen or it could work like STWOR group zones. It could let anyone in or it could only allow certain people in (group, guild, ...). There might also be different rules than in the outside world (e.g. no PvP). Or it could be something completely new. It's all speculations for now.

Anyway, what is your opinion on instances in DayZ as an open-world sandbox game? Do you want them or not?

Please answer in poll.

Edited by moriak

No instances, this isn't wow swtor swg or any other garbage like that. rocket has said many things, but the scope and evolution of the game I would hope steers away from that type of mmo experience.

We do not need instanced safe zones...we need the game to stay tangibly real to the survivor experience.

Don't like it.

Instances in WoW only served to create enormous clans farming the shit out of loot, PvP'ing everyone up the ass.

I'm pretty sure he meant for player housing. I'll admit I didn't click your link. In the past though he has said it would apply to player housing. Plus this doesn't mean you're safe from players, just less strain on the system.

• Like 1

Ohhhhh can see it now Pug Raids bandits will love that shit

Your medic gets poped in the head then the tank rage quit n wait LFG

it wont work and suck what you gonna do go there kill heaps o Z n go n cry as some guy ninja looted your gun i bet

keep things as they are

Maybe some kind of a NPC town where players can trade with each other in saftey well hehe love ta raid

but then you all want a bank then eh

Instances will be for player built structures and not loot caves or mission hubs like WoW, i'm not sure how else they could be done without impacting on server performance.

• Like 1

Uh, if any of you guys even read a few interviews, then you'll know they're for underground structures...

• Like 1

The instancing is for the bases he plans on adding, which require going underground. He is thinking of using instances so that the servers aren't bogged down by data. He compared it to Skyrim dungeons for the bases, he explains it in some of his interviews. If you want the game to run right some things will have to be sacrificed. His actually Idea does not impact the open world sandbox feel of DayZ, just like in Skyrim.

• Like 1

Yeah, this is a misleading poll and a complete misinterpretation of rocket's words.

He was not talking about "instances" in the sense of zones or missions players would undertake.

All he was talking about is the fact that underground bases could exist separately so that they would not be tied to a single server like tents and vehicles are now, and members of a squad could access them from different servers.

And he was very clear that there will be no safe (no PvP) zones.

• Like 1

If there where towns that are safe from PvP. I think the best way to implement that would be like in EvE online. You can still PvP in "safe zones" but you may get detected by the governing force and be KOS for doing so.

Instances are for underground complexes. They won't be locked to a particular group or party and anyone will be able to enter them provided they can find the entrance and provided they have the required tools to open the door (he mentioned hacking the door to get in in an interview).

The term instances in DayZ is very different than instances in WOW, EQ etc. I guess you could think of them as wormholes in Eve Online - a hidden system players can use as a base of operations and requires a player to use probes to scan for the entrance.

It's Rocket's answer to leaving the map static. If players could build stuff in the actual map things get cluttered very quickly, you just need to look at the mass amounts of barb wire and sandbag walls on some servers. The player creation is going to be done underground, to keep things above ground clean.

WarriorWolf - Rocket has said he doesn't want to have NPC factions in the game, or safe zones. He has said he wants to give players the tools to do that stuff themselves, although giving players the tools and having them do it are two completely different things... But this is DayZ afterall :)

• Like 1

I'd prefer to wait until they're able to do construction properly in the game then have instances at all. Building massive treehouse complexes in the woods? That would be some shit.

Edited by puppetworx

the poll is not misleading, it is about any kind of instancing.. I explained it in the first post

personally I'm against it.. there would have to be high limitations to when you can actually get through the instance entrance (e.g. X seconds "cast time" to open the door if you have been in combat in the past Y minutes), otherwise you can just run "through the portal" to get out of a firefight even if the enemy can come inside after you and it's only for a short while.. you are still safe from him until he does.. you should not be able to do that in an open-world game ever

look at Mortal Online for example, there are player forts and houses and no instancing is involved.. you can still shoot anyone inside from the outside or destroy the structure (I wonder how that will work here).. different technical solution, I know, but still

we shall see though, it's only a poll to see what others think about it.. I'll still play to see how it works before I decide on whether it's too much of an issue for me

Ohhhhh can see it now Pug Raids bandits will love that shit

Your medic gets poped in the head then the tank rage quit n wait LFG

it wont work and suck what you gonna do go there kill heaps o Z n go n cry as some guy ninja looted your gun i bet

keep things as they are

Maybe some kind of a NPC town where players can trade with each other in saftey well hehe love ta raid

but then you all want a bank then eh

Anyone care to translate that? Wow...

Depends how it works. If exiting an underground base means suddenly appearing near an obvious door or hatch without any means to defend one's self for a few seconds then I'm absolutely against this. It would be a deathtrap trying to leave these instanced zones. If it means loading into a hidden position from a base with multiple hard to detect exits, then that might not be so bad.

I honestly think this underground base thing is kind of silly considering the setting and it seems like a little cheap but I haven't seen any of it in action or heard anything more than a vague description. It's too early to make an accurate judgement on this.

Anyone care to translate that? Wow...

No problem! I plugged this into Google Translate, put it into Russian and back to English. I think... it helps.

"Ohhhhh see it now Pug bandits raid will love this shit

Your doctor is produced in a rage tank head throw n wait landfill gas

it will not work and suck what do you do to kill a bunch of OZ n to n cry like a ninja guy looted weapons Bet

to keep things as they are

Maybe some of NPC, where players can trade with each other in Saftey heh, as the raid

But if you want to bank, then yes" -- Mr. Stagger Lee, PhD