ThuggleS

How to gear up on respawn while avoiding zombies?

Just started playing today and my first impression is, "Since I start with no weapon and every place I go to has a bunch of zombies, how am I supposed to get any items when I am forced to run away from all the zombies?".

Are there locations with good item spawns that have little to no zombies?

What am I missing here?

EDIT: Thanks for your responses and tips, guys. I have gotten much, much better at this game now. I have learned to raid buildings much more effectively, escape zombies much easier, and am now geared up pretty well with all the essentials (GPS, matchbox, hatchet, hunting knife, canteens, and a few good guns). I even made a tent out in the wilderness by a lake which is my current base of operations. Hopefully I can play this guy for a good long time before someone snipes me again!

Edited by ThuggleS

Run into a building and out the other side as zombies can only walk indoors. Also you can press "Z" to lie down under a pine tree which will cause zombies to lose interest. Also running up steep hills as you can walk faster than the zombies.

Sometimes you spawn close to the city where you can get equipped easier but also killed a lot easier to if you aren't careful.

Edited by Furry_PawstarZ

For now atleast the Z's can only walk indoors, so if you have some on you, it's advised to run through buildings, same thing applies to high hills and pinetrees. Also, the best two places to gear up as a fresh spawn are Chernogorsk and Elektrozavodsk. What you are looking for there are fire stations, pubs, supermarkets, industrial sites/warehouses. The Z's can feel overwhelming at first, but once you get used to them, you can just ignore them most of the time.

edit: Darnit Furry, you got the gold.

0.jpg

Edited by Teach

You need to use stealth, infected see with line of sight and will hear you depending on your stance. You can crouch by pressing C and go prone by pressing Z. Double-tap shift to toggle walk/run. Different surfaces will cause different noise levels, and during the day you will need to go prone most of the time when in a zombie-infested area. You can also lose zombies but you should learn that once you've got the stealth thing down.

I would argue only using stealth if you're used to moving at a snails pace in a game. Most people don't enjoy stealth games as much.

An alternative is to sprint, Zombies cannot hurt you if you sprint and stay outside of melee range. The trick is LOSing them. Line of Sight in powerful. You turn a corner from a zombie and it cannot see you...only hear you. So, turn a corner and drop into Prone and crawl away in safety. Trees seem to be a great way to lose Zombies these days. If you get a huge train of zombies, run into the woods and zigzag through trees, bushes and the like. You should easily lose the zombies.

Start off playing on a low-population server and learn how to avoid zombies through stealth, once you're confident with that and know the general building/loot layout, you can be a lot more aggressive and lose the zombies chasing you through the use of buildings and other line of sight techniques (crawling over the street to avoid zombies in a crowded area is asking to get killed on a server with a larger amount of people).

You can loot an entire city without killing a single zombie even if you are chased by many, once you can deal with that, you can add PvP to the equation.

I've crawled through entire towns and cities without attracting any zombies, you just need patience, but if you have a quiet gun then you can afford to pull zombies. I wouldn't recommend getting zombies' attention until you have some means of protection or are near the forest.

Also, the best two places to gear up as a fresh spawn are Chernogorsk and Elektrozavodsk.

Are you trying to get him killed. There the first place a new spawn should avoid at all costs. Forget about the coast and follow a road to the next northern town and loot there instead you'll be far safer.

no he should try cherno, get used to the town, know what is where, church + supermarket, the small hotels, the hospital + residental buildings, the other hospital + tents, i died often in cherno but each death helped me alot to get used to it better.

Yeah like others said, screw stealth and run like hell. Running in one way and out the other of a building works. Stay out of the major cities, it is mostly just people playing Deathmatch. If you do want to go in join an empty server first. Just run through the city and find the buildings with open doors you can run into, grab loot and run out. Once you have enough loot to make you happy just run into the forest to lose the zombies.

The must haves are

A hatchet

box of matches

hunting knife

Canteen

With that you can live in the forest forever.

Yeah like others said, screw stealth and run like hell. Running in one way and out the other of a building works. Stay out of the major cities, it is mostly just people playing Deathmatch. If you do want to go in join an empty server first. Just run through the city and find the buildings with open doors you can run into, grab loot and run out. Once you have enough loot to make you happy just run into the forest to lose the zombies.

The must haves are

A hatchet

box of matches

hunting knife

Canteen

With that you can live in the forest forever.

With that you can explore towns in the north forever

fixed

Kamenko, simple layout, a few spots to find basic loot, then you can head to the next town over, Komarovo and loot the warehouse/officey building and by then you should have enough to venture to a few barns for a gun. IMO best starting gun is the Winchester, large clip, moderate noise (quiet comparatively to other guns) and behaves much like a rifle and has a decent range.

Biggest tip I can give is DON'T AGRO THE ZEDS! You see soooo many new spawners running around like headless chickens with zeds behind them, this just attracts the snipers who are your real problem. Ideally you should be in and out without ever firing a shot, another dead give away for the snipers which if your clever you can use to your advantage.

Then take it slow, don't be in a rush, listen for gunshots and look and look again. It's not that hard but such a buzz when you leave a packed Cherno with your kit. :)

Edited by DazTroyer

At the start just run to cherno or elektro and gear up at shop, buildings and the hospital, after that go north. Don't care too much about dying until you have some gear and are out of your first raid of a big city. Its much more annoying if you crawled all your way, just to get killed fast. Better risk much in the beginning get gear and then you need to be carefull and travel open range. Once you have a water bottle, matches, hatchet and hunting knife, you can survive very easily by hunting, cooking meat and refill the water bottle in lakes, you have to find a map or use one in the internet too.

Oh and another good tip, check out the castle ruins on mountains like Zub or Rog, much gear, very little zombieactivity (just like 1-3), watch for other players though...

Edited by Srefanius

Thanks for your responses and tips, guys. I have gotten much, much better at this game now. I have learned to raid buildings much more effectively, escape zombies much easier, and am now geared up pretty well with all the essentials (GPS, matchbox, hatchet, hunting knife, canteens, and a few good guns). I even made a tent out in the wilderness by a lake which is my current base of operations. Hopefully I can play this guy for a good long time before someone snipes me again!

I remember when i started playing i was like OW NO! A ZOMBIE and i ran ran ran till i finally lost it.

Now with some expierience they just annoy me. Now i know how i can deaggro zombies. Its easy to loot when they are after you, you just need to know where not to go when you have no weapon (you might get stuck)

Right now the only thing zombies are good for is making it easier for you to spot other players (and vise-versa) and the usual bandage when you just have spawned and one manages to slap you in the nuts.

I aint going to explain you how to deaggro them, use the search option here or google it.

I always respawn on a low population night time server after death.

Less chance of aggroing zeds and virtually no chance of griefers, cos mommy sent them to bed, ;)

Nah only joking. Virtually no chance of snipers cos there is only one thermal optic weapon and even the dupers don't waste the space - unless they are protecting a camp.

Edited by EMT - Jasz

I always respawn on a low population night time server after death.

Less chance of aggroing zeds and virtually no chance of griefers, cos mommy sent them to bed, ;)

Nah only joking. Virtually no chance of snipers cos there is only one thermal optic weapon and even the dupers don't waste the space - unless they are protecting a camp.

Haha, just remember not to use a flashlight or road flare or even chemlights. I was on my way to Elektro at night when I found a player throwing road flares everywhere. Figured I climb Dobryy and see what's going on. I watch as he lights a flare in every building so he can see the loot. I let him get geared up, figured maybe I can scare him a bit. I fired a single .50 over his head and the poor guy starts flipping out and spraying everywhere with an AKM. I laughed as he attracted every zombie in town and got chased out into the open. Every time he tried to enter a building, I put a bullet at the front door and he ran the other way. He must've ran out of ammo because he got cornered in the pub by every single zombie in Elektro. 2 minutes later, ____ has died. I cried tears of joy.

• Like 1

He must've ran out of ammo because he got cornered in the pub by every single zombie in Elektro. 2 minutes later, ____ has died. I cried tears of joy.

Hilarious. I would give you some beans, but it is disabled in the phone version of the forum.

Although there was this one time on a private server where I was maybe just a little too complacent with road flares and got pwnd.

Lesson learned.

I kind of wondered why he didn't just log, but hell, I'm glad he didn't. :D Its moments like these that makes me all warm inside when playing DayZ.

I kind of wondered why he didn't just log, but hell, I'm glad he didn't. :D Its moments like these that makes me all warm inside when playing DayZ.

Could be that he knows about the special place in hell for combat loggers and zombie trains are always fun. Nothing I enjoy more than getting my akm, going to the flats in elektro and killing 30 or 40 zeds.

Well allot of people mentioned it before but when I freshly respawn I always make way for nearby industrial zones, you're bound to find an axe, and in my opinion it's the best weapon to get rid of zombies, as it's silent and a one hit kill. though not as effective against entire trians of zombies ofcourse.

At first I was playing at a slow pace aswell, trying to avoid zombies completley till I get a weapon. but it would take a long time before you find a place to loot and to find out it only has tin cans and makarov mags. so after dying plenty of times and playing for a few days I always start with a nothing-to-lose mentality at early spawn. I'm sure there are people out there that despise that attitude but hey.. I don't feel like repeating the same process all over again in a timespawn of an hour before getting somewhere.

But yeah other than that. when you decide to enter more populair areas like Cherno or Elektro, you must at all times avoid shooting zeds. or even avoid zeds entirely because they'll cause players to be alerted to your pressence. unless you're confident and are looking for a challenge ofcourse. shooting in such areas means a difference between life and death. for example, this one time I entered Stary Sobor to quickly check out the Militairy tents. I ended up almost shooting a zed that was being obstructive but decided not to. 10 seconds later I hear someone shooting at the other side of the tents, basicly where I started searching, I end up shooting the guy before he shot me as I knew he was there. so the moral is that if I did shoot the zombie I would've been the one biting the dust.

Anyhow good luck with your further adventures in DayZ!

10 seconds later I hear someone shooting at the other side of the tents, basicly where I started searching, I end up shooting the guy before he shot me as I knew he was there. so the moral is that if I did shoot the zombie I would've been the one biting the dust.

Anyhow good luck with your further adventures in DayZ!

Or you could have double tapped CAPS LOCK and chatted.

Edited by EMT - Jasz

People have different views but I'd say do the following:

1) as soon as you see you are spawning, look at the bottom right of the screen. It will say Chernarus and underneath it will tell you exactly where you are on the map.

2) That very second you spawn on the beach, go prone (z), and look around you. Think about where you are. Hit x and double tap shift to crouch run. If all you see is beach and above it high hills of trees, you're probably deep down the south by south-west on the coast.

If it's getting dark and I'm on a low population server I run along the beach until I get to say Balotta, where I check the Beach side barns for axes and coke. If it's busier I run through the trees, coming down when I spot enterable buildings.

Look for cans of drink and food and an axe. Don't run if you can see zombies unless they sound very angry and are coming at you. They can see you in daylight from a long distance.

As soon as you get an axe right click on it in your inventory and choose "remove from toolbelt" then when you're holding the axe hit R for reload - yes you have to reload axe as though it were a gun.

You need to put it back on your toolbelt if you pick up a shotgun so you can carry a gun. I have a gun for zombies but frankly the axe is better - and running away is even better still.

Expect to die over and over again, and post threads here saying how the game is unfair and shit - lots do that. But if you stick with it you will get better every single time. :thumbsup:

• Like 1