Sign in to follow this  
Flam625

A new reason to play

A new reason to play

Playing through the game I have always been bothered by the fact tha the game has no real point. Its fun and all but take a moment to think about what you do in the game. You survive and scavenge. As fun as it is, wouldnt it be cool to have puzzles to solve and mysterys to uncover? Like with the radio, the signal that can be heard from it speaking in Russian saying numbers and using morse code. It would be (in my opinon) awesome to have little side stories to uncover and secret locations to find all by finding pieces of the puzzle like as in; Writing on walls, Pieces of newspaper, Radio signals, and thats just naming a few. Now if your thinking "Why would I waste time and rescources just to do that" well maybe a reward may be at hand? Maybe the story of a survivor your following died and had a VSS or an M4A1 HOLO. Or the secret base you found had a garage. The idea here is to really make the player feel more connected to the game. This not only adds a whole new aspect to the game but it adds purpose. I think that finding out how the outbreak started would be a great story line to solve with your buddies or by yourself. Just by listening to myself I can already understand the problems with this. Like after its been completed you can just head straight to the place. But im sure things like this can be sorted out if this is taken into consideration. Id love to hear anyones thoughts about the idea and I would love for anyone to help get this seen by the devs.

Edited by Flam625
  • Like 4

If they added in different stories over time and erasing old ones that would be cool, like random events. Lets say someone finds this journal then follows it to the location finds the loot, which could change a residential to a small military loot spawn (ex. retired war vet dies and leaves a journal in Berinzino, but his house is in Prog or something then the house goes from residential to military loot spawn) but when the house is looted by anyone it returns to residential.

• Like 3

If they added in different stories over time and erasing old ones that would be cool, like random events. Lets say someone finds this journal then follows it to the location finds the loot, which could change a residential to a small military loot spawn (ex. retired war vet dies and leaves a journal in Berinzino, but his house is in Prog or something then the house goes from residential to military loot spawn) but when the house is looted by anyone it returns to residential.

Thats an amazing idea, and the possibilities are endless when you put it like that. (Building on your idea) the shorter the story the smaller the loot is, and the longer it is the more loot. So you may find a note telling you to go here and you find a gun rack of hunting weapons (Cz500, Remington shotgun ETC...) or get an old transmisson to go to Stary then Zelengorsk and ETC... finally ending up in like Gorka and you find M4A1's M107's.

The flamer inside me wants to yell out "Go play WoW."

The realist inside me goes "They have no production staff to create, much less code these events when they're working on the main game."

The geek in me is excited by the idea of taking server hopping out of the equation by introducing a way to reward players who are making their way between towns to perhaps stumble upon random wreckage with a radio that, say, will lead you to a working car if you go in the direction that makes the signal strength stronger.

tumblr_lfpryqkaHK1qc09ni.png

You make your own purpose. It's a sandbox, not a campaign. Why are you playing? It's up to you - Freeside gets its kicks by organizing trades. Some clans organize vehicle operations. A bunch of guys I was with a few weeks ago organized a battle royale in Cherno.

There won't be any set "story" for DayZ - it's not authentic. Zombie apocalypse hits and you're a survivor - does that mean you're now on a mission to find the origin of the virus and save t3h world? No, it means you're on a mission to survive and do whatever the hell you want in postapocalyptic Russia.

The flamer inside me wants to yell out "Go play WoW."

The realist inside me goes "They have no production staff to create, much less code these events when they're working on the main game."

The geek in me is excited by the idea of taking server hopping out of the equation by introducing a way to reward players who are making their way between towns to perhaps stumble upon random wreckage with a radio that, say, will lead you to a working car if you go in the direction that makes the signal strength stronger.

But becoming a standalone game now they have Bohemia's staff to work with and since the A2 engine is very compatible this COULD be done. Although yes it is kind of like WOW's questing and I understand they need to divert people, time and money to do this and they cant risk messing the system up with this. But in an update id like them to try this and see how it works because if they end up being able to do this and the game runs just as smooth and effeciently id love to see this in the real game,

You make your own purpose. It's a sandbox, not a campaign. Why are you playing? It's up to you - Freeside gets its kicks by organizing trades. Some clans organize vehicle operations. A bunch of guys I was with a few weeks ago organized a battle royale in Cherno.

There won't be any set "story" for DayZ - it's not authentic. Zombie apocalypse hits and you're a survivor - does that mean you're now on a mission to find the origin of the virus and save t3h world? No, it means you're on a mission to survive and do whatever the hell you want in postapocalyptic Russia.

I understand the idea behind a sandbox game and the intention here but this could be a good turnout or a bad turnout, But again in a real zombie apocalypse there arent just 40 dudes running and gunning in towns, there was a history behind it and by reminding players of it will make it more immersive which is something there trying to do. Like previously stated they can make TINY side missons to help find a vehicle or a gun. But I see your point though, its a surval game not a campaign

I played like 1-2 weeks ... and it's boring to me already.

Dayz definitely needs some more story. The world is way to big to just let people shoot each other.

Well, ok you got the cities, which are kind of hotspots, were players encounter each other, but with

the complete lack of a story or goal, besides surviving, dayz gets boring pretty fast.

There is no emotional attachement to the own character or any other player, except you know the

person in real life. There are no npcs, which already takes away a lot of atmosphere.

I guess that's even one of the reasons for the banditry.

People just don't care for anything or anyone, because in the end all you can do is shooting other

people anyways.

BORING.

• Like 1

The numbers on the radio are actually a puzzle like you desire... They mean something and are helpful, see if you can figure it out.

Everything you described sounds much more like a single player expereince than anything else, I agree that the "point" to playing DayZ is a little ambiguous, but it has ample opportunities to make your own fun, either alone or in groups.

The only realistic thing I can think of to implement would be to have NPC quest givers, sending players on scavenger hunts. "Bring me 6 bandages and I'll give you X"

The problems being, can the engine support this type of AI interaction, and whats to stop bandits from just camping these locations.

Too much comic sans, did not read.

Funny, this person posted a blank response... Didn't know you could do that :)

I think it would be cool to add big buildings that you can enter as a group.

These buildings should be instances, so nobody else can be encountered in there, except zombies.

This could be a great way to implement some story-driven coop missions. Also nobody would be forced to do it, if you don't like it, don't do it.

If I was stuck in a zombie apocalypse I would keep a journal that may tell/ give hints of where I stash my stuff. While the curious side of me would try to figure out how the virus started, this could also give me information on how to distract zed or how to kill them easier (ex. Tells me they are attracted to sulfur used in smoke grenades) but of course the example would be something new because I already knew they were attracted to smoke grenades.

If I was stuck in a zombie apocalypse I would keep a journal that may tell/ give hints of where I stash my stuff. While the curious side of me would try to figure out how the virus started, this could also give me information on how to distract zed or how to kill them easier (ex. Tells me they are attracted to sulfur used in smoke grenades) but of course the example would be something new because I already knew they were attracted to smoke grenades.

If you check out the interviews with rocket from gamescon (there is a thread in general discussion linking all) he talks about adding this to the game. Some history for the virus it self how ever he also states he don't want to add a story to the game cause that will take away parts of what dayz is. Dayz is about player interaction and there is a reason why the under title for dayz is "this is your story". I really like this approach rocket have cause it creates something new, something I haven't experienced yet and I love it! As much as I would love more content and stuff to do in the game I think that this idea (suggested by OP) doesn't really fit that well with the concept of dayz.

Edited by Grodenn

The numbers on the radio are actually a puzzle like you desire... They mean something and are helpful, see if you can figure it out.

Everything you described sounds much more like a single player expereince than anything else, I agree that the "point" to playing DayZ is a little ambiguous, but it has ample opportunities to make your own fun, either alone or in groups.

The only realistic thing I can think of to implement would be to have NPC quest givers, sending players on scavenger hunts. "Bring me 6 bandages and I'll give you X"

The problems being, can the engine support this type of AI interaction, and whats to stop bandits from just camping these locations.

I understand that my idea sounds like a single player campaign, but in a Zombie apocalypse think about the history of the people before, being it a mechanic who left his prize car at his garage or the Hunter who left his weapons in his house. My idea helps players feel more connected and it eliminates server hopping and gets new players into the game much easier and faster. It also lets people like me find a new purpose to play. This could work well with player interaction because someone might be on the trail and you might find yourself working together or fighting one another. There would be no need for AI just cluse to guide you.

I think it would be cool to add big buildings that you can enter as a group.

These buildings should be instances, so nobody else can be encountered in there, except zombies.

This could be a great way to implement some story-driven coop missions. Also nobody would be forced to do it, if you don't like it, don't do it.

I feel like the instance's is basiclly WoW, but I like the idea of Coop missons, Maybe there can be two mods in standalone,

1: Survival Multiplayer: Just regular DayZ as it is surviving and thriving

2: Coop Missons: You and some buddies are tasked to do some missons or tasked to hold a building at all costs with whatever guns you please to use.

• Like 1

I understand that my idea sounds like a single player campaign, but in a Zombie apocalypse think about the history of the people before, being it a mechanic who left his prize car at his garage or the Hunter who left his weapons in his house. My idea helps players feel more connected and it eliminates server hopping and gets new players into the game much easier and faster. It also lets people like me find a new purpose to play. This could work well with player interaction because someone might be on the trail and you might find yourself working together or fighting one another. There would be no need for AI just cluse to guide you.

Like I said, the radio messages from Green Mountain are exactly this, it's just that, 99% of players reap the rewards without having even heard the signals or knowing anything about them.

Like I said, the radio messages from Green Mountain are exactly this, it's just that, 99% of players reap the rewards without having even heard the signals or knowing anything about them.

Ive looked into the Radio and ive listened to it many times and thats what sparked this idea for me, What im trying to get at is that I want more things like that from the game, more puzzles and mysterys like that to keep the game mysterious and fun. It can be a good thing for many people who like a little mystery in a game as stressful as DayZ, though I understand that focusing on this idea would throw the main aspect of the game away but having these little side mysterys would really make it more immersive. Also if you might not have heard rumors are going around about how green mountain is haunted, Imagine if it actually was, wierd noises objects move Zombies act differently doors open and close, now if that happened to me while me and my buddies are in a building id be shitting bricks, especially if maybe and apparition appeared. So if some little stuff like this is added now we have a fear factor to take into account.

I think he reffers to ''quests'' such as in for example RuneScape [inb4 flame; l0l0ll nub pls runskeep]. In that game you can do whatever you like, PvP, Gamble, Go fishing but on your way running through the world of Runescape you also have the option to start quests. This isn't forced upon you but there may be big rewards and it adds a whole new purpose to the game.

Maybe come out with the Chenarus/plus map as base for standalone.Any new maps added into the mix though are only gotten to if you survive for say 3 days.Put some stuff in them to add to the draw....maybe that is where you actually build the underground structures?Like in the MMORPG Fallen Earth where as you progress you enter new maps that have new things but with the looming feeling of perma-death hanging over your head.I am thinking that Chenarus as it stands now could be the outskirts of the area that got hit the worst when the infection started.Make the second map you enter a total warzone.Pure immersion with destroyed buildings and death everywhere type look to it.

Yeah, honestly, the sandbox gets boring. You cant do anything large scale without a large, dedicated group, and most people simply do not have a group of labor to call upon. Oh well, maybe I will play it more when it comes out on its own, until then... MECHWARRIOR 4 MERCS FTW :D

• Like 1

I think he reffers to ''quests'' such as in for example RuneScape [inb4 flame; l0l0ll nub pls runskeep]. In that game you can do whatever you like, PvP, Gamble, Go fishing but on your way running through the world of Runescape you also have the option to start quests. This isn't forced upon you but there may be big rewards and it adds a whole new purpose to the game.

Basically questing, But theres no gathering of pointless materials and no NPC's to help you and no one you go too to "cash in" you just stumble upon a clue and if you feel its worth checking out than you may but you can always just keep going, theres no EXP or certain reward, its all chance and this is especially good for people who have a hard time finding guns or ammo. So if a "noob" starts playing, instead of forum posting about how bad his experience is because he cant find a gun or a "Good" gun, he can just look for some clues to get him started and on his feet.
  • Like 1

Maybe come out with the Chenarus/plus map as base for standalone.Any new maps added into the mix though are only gotten to if you survive for say 3 days.Put some stuff in them to add to the draw....maybe that is where you actually build the underground structures?Like in the MMORPG Fallen Earth where as you progress you enter new maps that have new things but with the looming feeling of perma-death hanging over your head.I am thinking that Chenarus as it stands now could be the outskirts of the area that got hit the worst when the infection started.Make the second map you enter a total warzone.Pure immersion with destroyed buildings and death everywhere type look to it.

They have announced that they will be sticking to Chernarus for Standalone (Possible new maps later) and since they're getting the engine and map to fuck around with there now thinking about removing small towns and making a uber city with a mall and some other new buildings, and the underground bases can serve multiple purposes, 1:Millitary loot, 2:My idea 3:Hideouts for bandits.

Yeah, honestly, the sandbox gets boring. You cant do anything large scale without a large, dedicated group, and most people simply do not have a group of labor to call upon. Oh well, maybe I will play it more when it comes out on its own, until then... MECHWARRIOR 4 MERCS FTW :D

This is what is happening to me, its the same thing, Spawn survive die. I feel with just the tiniest bit of story the game can regain that aspect of fun and adventure that it used to have.

PS: MECHWARRIORS (4) LIFE

• Like 1