ExtraSyllables

the douche to passive racio

So, I'm new to the game and I'm more than ready to tackle this 90 degree learning curve head on, but there is one thing I need to know. Now, I get that this game is very immersive in a zombie apocalypse setting, but is there just a massive douche racio out there? I know some people will be very mistrusting of others and stuff, but is there just a large sect of dicks and wanna be trolls i should watch for?

Not everyone, few people choose the hard path of being friendly, since the cowardice path of being a bandit is easy. If you want a challenge, be friendly, it really is fun.

• Like 2

Not everyone, few people choose the hard path of being friendly, since the cowardice path of being a bandit is easy. If you want a challenge, be friendly, it really is fun.

what he said ^^^^^^ finally someone says it. ty sir

Humanity 4960. I'd like to think I'm a decent guy to hang around. The rifles only come out if you shoot at me.

i'm the guy who will shoot before asking a question. Not because i like being that guy but because i get shot when i'm not. At the start it doesnt matter cause you have very little to lose but when you have something worth keeping you wanna stick to it.

Wanna have fun?

Forget going up north to get all those awesome weapons and vehicles. The former will go away when you get killed and the latter won't stick around for long with all the bugs and hackers going around. If you want to have FUN, either as a survivor or a bandit, stay near the starting areas. You are more likely to run into other people there. If you want to cooperate, then it's the best place to make friends, and if you want to be just like the rest and kill indiscriminately, that's faster than sniping some hill up north and you may even come upon gear it'd take hours to find.

Just my suggestion.

i'm the guy who will shoot before asking a question. Not because i like being that guy but because i get shot when i'm not. At the start it doesnt matter cause you have very little to lose but when you have something worth keeping you wanna stick to it.

See, this right here is the mentallity that ruins the game. Also, play on veteran servers, since the bandits tend to lurk on recruit servers since the difficulty is at their liking.

Yeah better to assume that 99% of the people you meet will be initially hostile towards you. This doesn't mean that they are all murdering bastards though, just scared of getting killed. There are friendly groups (like us), but we can only cover so much ground at the moment.

My suggestion to you is to keep your distance and not to be the one to fire first. If bullets start to fly, get the hell out of there and put as many trees/walls/zeds as you can between you and your would-be-murderer. If, however, the person is not firing at you, try talking with them - you'd be surprised how much fun this game is when you manage to actually do a good deed in a douche-heavy environment.

Stay safe,

-O

See, this right here is the mentallity that ruins the game. Also, play on veteran servers, since the bandits tend to lurk on recruit servers since the difficulty is at their liking.

Agree to disagree i guess. And if everything was friendly the game wouldnt be anywhere near as tense

Dont think of it like "Everyones a bandit". Think of it as "Oh shit, that guy sprinting towards me with a gillie suit and a machine gun might be a bandit! Better kill him than die myself!" Most of the time when 1 person kills another in this game, its for self preservation, the other times are when someone just wants to be a dick and doesnt even like the game. I think that those people should just go play a game where that is the entire objective, like battlefield, cod, or even counterstrike. But being the realist that I am, thats not gonna happen, and they are gonna stay right here and keep killing you. Why you ask? Because they love to hear you whine about it. It feeds them, gives them strength, like trolls.

basicly if u wanna enjoy dayz. play on low pop. veteran servers. and avoid people like the plaque..

most of the people will look at you as a mobile lootwagon. people will try to justify it by saying you might be a threat. but really they just wanna take what u might be carrying.

this games community really went downhill when the mod got popular. sadly its mostly full of douchebag pvp greivers or flatout cheater/hackers..

so if you can manage to avoid people this is a great zombie game

Our group was approached by an unarmed fresh spawn we came across in Balota, one of our clan was a bit suspicous and wanted to kill him just to teach him not to approach armed gangs but he seemed genuinely new and not too great with all the controls so we let him tag along on our trip up north.

First we gave him just basic supplies (food/water etc) then when we reached the first town I gave him my hatchet for protection. Later we gave him a pistol with only 6 rounds of ammo (you can'[t do much damage with that) and by the end of the day we had him fully armed and ready to face anything. He even came to my rescue when a zombie knocked me unconcious with one swipe.

This is the 2nd time we've resisted the urge to shoot and let someone tag along, I know from other posts these things can go very wrong but I feel as long as you're careful, keep at least one eye on them and make sure they don't have enough to kill your entire group in one go you're pretty much safe as houses. It's an aspect of the game I really enjoy, helping others makes it feel more like an apocolypse than killing everyone which to me feels like just a big ol' lawless riot...

Not everyone is a douche, but always be careful when approaching other players and never expect them to welcome you no matter how many times you shout friendly. Don't rush towards people, that's the best way to panic them into shooting no matter how friendly they usually are.

-------------

sorry, two stories...

After we all got sent to cherno by a deathball hacker, everyone on the server rejoined/spawned and headed back to the scene of the carnage to recover their gear. When I made it to the pile of dead bodies another player was already there grabbing his stuff, he was fully armed so I kept my distance and pulled a salute and over comms I said "Hate Hackers, Love the game"

After he had finished collecting his gear he moved aside to let me get my stuff, it would have been so easy for him to put me down in that moment but he just left me to it, when I looked up again he was gone.

I will never succumb to shooting on sight, this game is so much more interesting when the interactions elevate beyond KoS

Edited by ironman Tetsuo

Mostly everyone and the ones who do speak don't hang around for very long. Probably as worried about you as you are of them.

Really though... this game makes it very difficult to trust people, I understand the aspect of being friendly, but sometimes its just not worth the risk. I've been backstabbed more times then i can count and im one of the shoot on sight people.. simply for the fact that im hand shy of anyone i do NOT know. I tried to be friendly, but i got tired of being stabbed in the back. I do commend the people that stick to friendly, definitely a lot harder to do.

You might want to hold off or play on unpopulated servers. Right now, the game is great for people who want to kill on sight and is terrible for people who want more than that. I would hate to see someone who wants to play a friendly trying to learn how to play now - they'll just get frustrated and leave the game for good. Learning to play is difficult enough. I don't play any more, despite having played Arma for a long time and Day Z since it was in major gaming news - knowing how to play doesn't make it any less difficult for me to survive as a friendly survivor. I refuse to KoS, but right now you can either KoS or you can run around in the woods hiding. I could do that IRL, so I choose not to play, for now.