Sign in to follow this  
Obscura (DayZ)

2 weeks of play, already geared?

Really? Is rocket planning to do anything with endgame or the extra surplus of the best weapons around? I already have a ghillie l85 AWS a DMR NV goggles Range finder,gps, etc and it seems like its more easier than the devs intended.

After 2 weeks? Took you long enough..

Um after playing sparingly, and alone mostly, I'd say I did decent. Either way it wasnt the challenge I expected

it took two weeks to get geared? i get all the gear i want in 2 days TOPS. and before yall start saying anything i dont have tents or script or go out and kill anyone or server hop to get my gear. me and my friends actually travel the map and hit multiple towns and chopper crashes.

Your ability to get geared is based on loot spawns/other players. You might get lucky and hit a rare loot spawn and find NVG's. Or, you may come across a dead body full equipped. This could happen as soon as your spawn. Or, it might take you a few weeks.

it took two weeks to get geared? i get all the gear i want in 2 days TOPS. and before yall start saying anything i dont have tents or script or go out and kill anyone or server hop to get my gear. me and my friends actually travel the map and hit multiple towns and chopper crashes.

/facepalm Not actual time played, i bought this game 2 weeks ago. doesnt mean ive played it every second since then

find a high pop server and goto Chernblo or Elektro or Balota and hunt noob killers! Or help other people you meet. there in no endgame so stop looking for one. you have to change your mindset from gathering gear to what you gonna do with all that fancy gear. Help people, Kill people. Hide away in the forest. up to you and thats how Rocket wants it.

• Like 1

/facepalm Not actual time played, i bought this game 2 weeks ago. doesnt mean ive played it every second since then

oh no i understand you are talking real time not in gametime. me to. getting gear in this game is stupid easy. all you need to do is leave the damn coast haha.

oh no i understand you are talking real time not in gametime. me to. getting gear in this game is stupid easy. all you need to do is leave the damn coast haha.

Sad thing is :( i got every single one of those items in/around electro

Sad thing is :( i got every single one of those items in/around electro

yea its sad. this coastal deathmatch has got to stop one day. there is a huge wonderful map to explore and antics to be had. if not for the call of the sniper rifle and the splat of the blood of a fresh spawns brain getting a bit of fresh air.

real fast edit- not saying you are one of these people. just saying that there is a big map and plenty to be had and i wish people would go out and adventure/experience it.

Edited by Stonedknight

yea its sad. this coastal deathmatch has got to stop one day. there is a huge wonderful map to explore and antics to be had. if not for the call of the sniper rifle and the splat of the blood of a fresh spawns brain getting a bit of fresh air.

real fast edit- not saying you are one of these people. just saying that there is a big map and plenty to be had and i wish people would go out and adventure/experience it.

i know what you meant, and agree fully. I watch videos from may/june and the quality of gameplay just seems so much better

I don't think people understand this, Its not gearing up (mini game), it's not pvp or pve (mini games), it's not how much time you invest inside the game, it's what you do with it. It is a sandbox, make your own fun, if you can't or don't know how... well this isn't your kind of game. "End game" should not be a hand holder or amusement park experience, it should give you the tools to make your own "end game". Every time you people come in here and talk "end game" I think of the terrible decisions made while catering to the "power gamers" and "sheeple". (for lack of a better description) DayZ should be about what "you" did, not what path you followed.

/rant

What the fuck do you mean "geared"? You found some shit, use it until you die and hopefully have some good fights in between. Or, fuck off into the woods and see how long you can survive. Geared my ass.

What a load of bullshit that is. Yeah, go find a rangefinder when it is only spawnable in barracks at 0.11% asshole.

The only way to get loot so quickly is to

a) kill players who hacked their gear and don't have a clue how to use it

B) kill players who killed other players who had hacked gear

c) raid tents

My friend got spawned at cherno and the first house he walked into had a fully loaded corpse with all tools and l85

I'm not going to make stories about how awesome I play and how many tents I raid. Simply put I have a tent that I saved with all my best gear. Every time my backpack eats something or I get killed by a scripter I roll back.

I have not died by legal means for a month... Did I find a rangefinder or a dragunov in the barracks? Fuck no.

Really? Is rocket planning to do anything with endgame or the extra surplus of the best weapons around? I already have a ghillie l85 AWS a DMR NV goggles Range finder,gps, etc and it seems like its more easier than the devs intended.

Since you seem to have it made, maby take some time to read up on the news, or posts Rocket, the game dev has made. Maby alter your game play, go snipe people like most simple players do, or join a group of medics since you are so awesome. Can I follow you around and help stroke your massive....ego.

>join clan

>Become Dark Savior

>PK other awesome players like you with tons of gear

>prey on the kind or weak

>Post spam in the forums that blend in with a sea of moot threads

>make some suggestions on what you would like to see in the stand alone

i know what you meant, and agree fully. I watch videos from may/june and the quality of gameplay just seems so much better

it was, oh man was it. i started back in end of april/early may. sometime around there.... had less than 200k players. the very first 1.7 patch. trying to get into a server was a mini game all unto its self, and trying to get 5 people on the same server... with an update that just happened LOL. good luck.

and i am sure that there are people on here still who predate me by a longshot. they have some stories thats for sure.

Repeat after me: It's not about the gear.

This isn't WoW. Getting "geared up" isn't the point to the game. If you make it the point to your game, you're gonna have a bad time.

• Like 3

Gear doesn't mean much in the long run. I'm surprised that you managed to get all that stuff in the same life, though. Playing solo, I'll often go days without getting anything that's considered "rare". If I live past the coast, I generally expect to find one rare item per serious attempt at it. Raid a chopper crash, get a Bizon or some crap. Raid the barrakcs at NWAB, get a DMR or M14 AIM or M4 SD or Coyote pack or something along those lines, almost never two such items in one raid. Stary trip: another such item. Sometimes I get less stuff. I'll hit every deer stand and firehouse between Elektro and NE Airfield and never get anything fancier than an AKM or M9SD. I've only ever found one GPS, one Coyote Pack, one DMR and one M16/M203, all on different lives. My only ghillie find was at a player camp, my only M107 was in a truck I found, my only vehicle at a spawn, a bicycle.

People say they find AS50s and ghillie suits and NVG and rangefinders every time they spawn, and within a couple hours, and all at legitimate loot spawns, but I just don't believe it. Heck, even when I'm on my bike looking for chopper crashes, I can go hours without seeing one, just zipping through the open fields and scanning the area for them. I've probably found a total of eight crashes in my life, six of which had already been looted, and the other two had the Bizon, an FAL and some low-value stuff like medical crates.

So what's the secret? What do they all know that I haven't learned? I've never seen a video of a guy finding stuff at any faster rate than I do, but the forums are knee-deep in such claims. Unless you have a team of eight guys sweeping the map in trucks or are using some kind of loot spawning/server hopping/tent raiding strategy that's outside the usual loot acquisition paradigm, I can't see a single way to get this stuff in any kind of a hurry.

Is there anyone who can honestly say that they're finding all the best stuff in a short time without taking it off dead players, out of tents or farming it with one of the various methods of extracting loot from a spawn? I doubt it.

• Like 1

Repeat after me: It's not about the gear.

This isn't WoW. Getting "geared up" isn't the point to the game. If you make it the point to your game, you're gonna have a bad time.

I fully realize that, have from the start. I just wasn't aware there wasn't much to do besides PvP, and in result of TONS hacked items in the game the quality of the PvP is getting noticeably worse

Gear doesn't mean much in the long run. I'm surprised that you managed to get all that stuff in the same life, though. Playing solo, I'll often go days without getting anything that's considered "rare". If I live past the coast, I generally expect to find one rare item per serious attempt at it. Raid a chopper crash, get a Bizon or some crap. Raid the barrakcs at NWAB, get a DMR or M14 AIM or M4 SD or Coyote pack or something along those lines, almost never two such items in one raid. Stary trip: another such item. Sometimes I get less stuff. I'll hit every deer stand and firehouse between Elektro and NE Airfield and never get anything fancier than an AKM or M9SD. I've only ever found one GPS, one Coyote Pack, one DMR and one M16/M203, all on different lives. My only ghillie find was at a player camp, my only M107 was in a truck I found, my only vehicle at a spawn, a bicycle.

People say they find AS50s and ghillie suits and NVG and rangefinders every time they spawn, and within a couple hours, and all at legitimate loot spawns, but I just don't believe it. Heck, even when I'm on my bike looking for chopper crashes, I can go hours without seeing one, just zipping through the open fields and scanning the area for them. I've probably found a total of eight crashes in my life, six of which had already been looted, and the other two had the Bizon, an FAL and some low-value stuff like medical crates.

So what's the secret? What do they all know that I haven't learned? I've never seen a video of a guy finding stuff at any faster rate than I do, but the forums are knee-deep in such claims. Unless you have a team of eight guys sweeping the map in trucks or are using some kind of loot spawning/server hopping/tent raiding strategy that's outside the usual loot acquisition paradigm, I can't see a single way to get this stuff in any kind of a hurry.

Is there anyone who can honestly say that they're finding all the best stuff in a short time without taking it off dead players, out of tents or farming it with one of the various methods of extracting loot from a spawn? I doubt it.

I got these things from other players, did not loot a single thing outside of electro before I got the items. Everybody having the best shit=bad game in the long run, theres no sense of progression.

What a load of bullshit that is. Yeah, go find a rangefinder when it is only spawnable in barracks at 0.11% asshole.

c) raid tents

My friend got spawned at cherno and the first house he walked into had a fully loaded corpse with all tools and l85

I'm not going to make stories about how awesome I play and how many tents I raid. Simply put I have a tent that I saved with all my best gear. Every time my backpack eats something or I get killed by a scripter I roll back.

I have not died by legal means for a month... Did I find a rangefinder or a dragunov in the barracks? Fuck no.

since this was added while i was typing up the last one i will answer you here.

I am the asshole?? Read again what I typed. "All the gear I want". I am not a sniper. I dont need rangefinders. I dont need NVG's. I dont need alot of things.

I want a FN FAL (only since the big gun nerf), a Revolver, an ALICE pack (the Coyote is cursed, once someone in my group gets one either one or all of us die), some canteens, the tools (but not a GPS), Camo Suit if I come across one. Thats it. Go out and raid for meds when I want/need it. Hunt when I needed to eat. Traverse the map... /win for me.

You dont need any of that shit. You want it. Difference. And that being said its STILL stupid easy to find gear in this game. 0.11% chance sucks, and it can be a pain in the ass, but THAT is shit you hunt for once you are "geared". The proverbial "End Game" for this game as most everyone likes to spout.

So yea my playstyle makes me an asshole. I dont go and kill anyone for my loot. I can find it on my own. Spawn anywhere on the coast and move north. Hit each Deer Stand on the way. Check major spots for gear (Zelano, Rog, Moglievka). Make my way to major northern towns (Vybor, Berezino). Make way across the map checking fields for Crashes while on the way to the other major town you didnt hit.

If you are not geared after that. Something is terribly wrong lol.

c) raid tents

Hacker camps, pogolvka dam.

I've watched a friend go from enfield and 1911, to having everything he possibly needed because he found tents under the water. then found more camps on other servers.

Formula for best gear in under 30 minutes: Find server with hacker camp in glitched spot under the water at Pogolvka dam, run from spawn point to get glorious high tier gear.

As I said, not really a sense of progression

I don't think you understand how this works, OP.

It's not World of Warcraft. There's no steady progress. No instanced raids. You randomly stumble across really good stuff or shoot somebody in the face and take it from them. It's more like a really, really long game of Battlefield 3 where you start out with nothing in your hands and you claw and scratch and punch your way desperately to reach a loadout or snatch it from someone's hands trying not to die in the meantime.

So saying, "It took two weeks for me to get geared," really means, "I've cobbled together the best equipment I can imagine over the last two weeks."

Tent exploits have made people forget the point of all of this by creating artificial persistence across deaths. The memory of discovery's thrill and the patience required have faded. Now everything's been replaced with mindless completionism as if the purpose of the game was solely to get really cool shit.

It's not all your fault though. Weapon nerfs have taken the validity of a lightly-armed build and pushed the gear curve even higher. So people who were happy with a pistol now HAVE to get assault rifles. People who were happy with shotguns now HAVE to wield AS50's. So people think there is a "proper level of gear" that they need to achieve and then the rest of the game opens up for them. But that's the secret. In a game where you can die and lose everything at any point and people aren't duping and hoarding and server hopping, in a game where every weapon is dangerous, the game starts as soon as you step out of the brine and start a mad dash for your first hatchet.

But the game is currently broken and the flock has been led astray by greed, cheating, and mindless consumerism.

• Like 3

Truth be told, I'd rather have an Enfield than an M14, rather a CZ550 than an AS50. Having the stuff is okay once or twice, but I am strongly compelled to roleplay in this game. I'll use an ALICE pack even if I find a coyote, I'll eschew an M4 in favor of the 1866, just for the roleplay effect. One time I had a DMR and used it to shoot some zombies off a newb, then I traded him the DMR for his AKM. He shot me in the ass, but that's how I play. I get shot in the ass a lot.

I think I've done everything you can do without a lot of manpower. I only ever have two or three buddies available to me, and most often I'm alone. So I've never rebuilt a chopper or filled up one of those big trucks. I've been everywhere and tried a lot of playstyles, though banditry was fun, but got stale in a hurry. It's so lonely without a bunch of bandit pals, and I don't like looking for people for ten minutes and then killing them and getting some beans. Sniping's a snooze and a half. If I want to use high-tech weapons to battle other players, I already own ArmA2, I'll go play that and get air support and stuff.

For me, the best play is to pretend it's still May, and walk around right in the open and introduce myself to every player I meet. My ratio of friends made to bullets eaten has taken a steep dive lately, I'll admit, but I get a bigger rush walking toward a guy with my gun lowered than I get hunkering in a bush with my sights on him.