KillCam96

Nice deathmatch you got there

:makes a change from killing everything that moves

Not a reason why I shouldn't shoot. How is that stopping me? I'm not bored of killing people, it's challenging and satisfying. Especially if there is some wannabe sheriffs after you.

:could gain kit, a slave, friend, whatever

Or a bullet if the guy isn't friendly at all? Not worth it. I'll trade few bullets for everything you have and getting rid of a potential threat.

:could feel more realistic. In the real world, people wouldn't ALL kill each other, taking the life another human being isnt easy.

But I don't really care about making human interactions realistic. I wish they were realistic but I'm not going to piss in the wind. This is on game mechanics and devs, not on players. If the game is supposed to be realistic when it comes to human interaction, then they should put something to force it.

:could even receive gratitude by helping out a new player, maybe even feeling good about yourself (I know it's a strange concept within a game)

I get what you're saying and this indeed is something I'm loosing by not being friendly. Although I'd rather loose opportunity to be nice instead of getting shot in the face and running back to my tent.

In other words, there are no mechanics in the game that would make me think twice about killing people on sight.

• Like 2

Not a reason why I shouldn't shoot. How is that stopping me? I'm not bored of killing people, it's challenging and satisfying. Especially if there is some wannabe sheriffs after you.

Or a bullet if the guy isn't friendly at all? Not worth it. I'll trade few bullets for everything you have and getting rid of a potential threat.

But I don't really care about making human interactions realistic. I wish they were realistic but I'm not going to piss in the wind. This is on game mechanics and devs, not on players. If the game is supposed to be realistic when it comes to human interaction, then they should put something to force it.

I get what you're saying and this indeed is something I'm loosing by not being friendly. Although I'd rather loose opportunity to be nice instead of getting shot in the face and running back to my tent.

In other words, there are no mechanics in the game that would make me think twice about killing people on sight.

Hmmm thank you for the constructive arguments, I understand that trust is dangerous, it got me killed too many times earlier, I just hope that in the standalone, there will actually be reasons and rewards for letting people love.

Oh and for the record, I posted a similar thread on the War Z forum and got people blathering on about I am looking at the wrong game if I don't like shooting on sight.... Fuck them

Hmmm thank you for the constructive arguments, I understand that trust is dangerous, it got me killed too many times earlier, I just hope that in the standalone, there will actually be reasons and rewards for letting people love.

Oh and for the record, I posted a similar thread on the War Z forum and got people blathering on about I am looking at the wrong game if I don't like shooting on sight.... Fuck them

I look at this in terms of pros and cons.

Pros: loot, can't kill me, fun to shoot and challenge.

cons:... I'm loosing bullets? Making sounds I guess. Now with the bandit skin I might loose stuff from my backpack the moment the skin changes, but that's a bug. Bandit skin? I don't really care, I assume that everyone is a threat anyway, plus most of the time I'm getting camo/ghillie anyway.

Killing people on sight - pros over cons. That's why I do it. That's why everyone does it.

I think there should be some kind of a penalty for killing people, now comes the argument "why punish a certain playstyle", how about why favor KoS playstyle? Both friendly and KoS playstyles should be equally valid, now KoS has advantage over friendly. I was thinking about instead of bandit skin, people with low humanity should be addicted to vodka (this is part of russia right? [tho in arma2 thanks to duping this idea is out of the window]) and if they don't they loose hp a bit / start shaking or something. Basically a reason not to shoot people. Because right now there really is no reason not to shoot.

Edited by SillySil

I like the It's PvP guys. Is it PvP when I don't even have a gun and I'm just looting the city for basic gear? Is it PvP when some kids sitting at dobyr with his 1shot kill AM sniper rifle and I've just spawned in? I guess you can call it that, it's like when you're driving your car and you race someone who doesn't even know you're racing. YES I WON!

I like the It's PvP guys. Is it PvP when I don't even have a gun and I'm just looting the city for basic gear? Is it PvP when some kids sitting at dobyr with his 1shot kill AM sniper rifle and I've just spawned in? I guess you can call it that, it's like when you're driving your car and you race someone who doesn't even know you're racing. YES I WON!

Is it PvP when in Unreal Tournament you have just spawned and have the first gun and I have a rocket launcher?

I got killed by bandits in a bus, then I fixed up another bus, drove to the east coast where in the distance I could see the other bus that killed me before, I moved to the other lane to pass it, I was unarmed, the occupants of the other bus then proceeded to step out and lint me up, I was fuming, I did nothing to them

I was in Cherno apartments when i saw a friendly without a weapon and a small pack, so obvious shitty gear. Put half a clip in his chest.Hid body, continue camp.

I got killed by bandits in a bus, then I fixed up another bus, drove to the east coast where in the distance I could see the other bus that killed me before, I moved to the other lane to pass it, I was unarmed, the occupants of the other bus then proceeded to step out and lint me up, I was fuming, I did nothing to them

Well, they must have had fun shooting you then. And that surpasses loosing few bullets because that's pretty much all the downsides of killing you. Same for killing unarmed players. Like I said the game just gives you no reason not to shoot people.

Ultimately, it comes down to the fact that no one here is doing anything wrong, but it doesn't mean we're doing it correctly either. I've had so many different experiences with this game, and for me, that's the beauty of it--no two play sessions are ever the same.

OP: as to the one War Z comment made earlier about "mainstream": DayZ didn't start out being "mainstream" either---it just kinda exploded from word-of-mouth and has somehow ended up where it is today.

I feel (lol feelings) that it's a person's choice as to KOS. Some days I make the decision to KOS, most days I make the decision to watch, stalk, approach, parley, withdraw. Some days I go looking for a fight, other days I avoid fights like my life depended on it. I've a bandit skin from a long string of defense killings, but that shouldn't make me a KOS target, though most would think otherwise. I feel that every other player has a story--THEIR story. They're free to act out their story any way they deem fit, and likewise, I'm allowed that freedom as well. Because I treat others like they have a story, I'm far less likely to KOS. (You see, there's a story behind my bandit skin, and if you take a minute and not blast my head off, I may just tell it to you over a can of beans and some Mt. Dew.) So long as "Deathmatching" doesn't happen every encounter, not in every city, we'll just have to make do with knowing certain cities are notorious for certain activities, and work to change that dynamic one positive encounter at a time--one good deed or random act of kindness at a time.

I also dont' feel that it's up to the game to force us to care, or force us to co-operate, or give us any more incentive than there already is (other than possibly base building and more ways to fortify, because I would co-operate more for that stuff). Instead, we should be looking to the community. We should be changing the way people look at the game, or at least try being persuasive enough to get them to think about *why* they're mindlessly killing and not trying other means of playing. Make your own reasons for not killing someone--they do exist.

OP: you may not have done anything to those people who shot you, but you had a bus. Greater men have killed for less.

Edited by Baelethal
  • Like 2

Not everyone wants to hug and sing songs around the campfire.

You find a group of players who want the same thing as you.

Otherwise you'll always be shot.

Hell, you'll always be shot anyway. Hippies have no place in video games I'm afraid.

Also, CoD isn't the only game where you kill other players. Just about every single game on the market has you killing other players - It's just what video games have conditioned us to do.

Not everyone wants to hug and sing songs around the campfire.

You find a group of players who want the same thing as you.

Otherwise you'll always be shot.

Hell, you'll always be shot anyway. Hippies have no place in video games I'm afraid.

Also, CoD isn't the only game where you kill other players. Just about every single game on the market has you killing other players - It's just what video games have conditioned us to do.

Woah woah, hang on just a second big man, in no way am I a hippie, I will kill people, I have killed people, but only in defence or when a squad mate was in danger and I had to snipe the oppressor, I also don't believe in gay little campfires etc, there will be death, but that isn't the entirety of the game's point and objective is all I'm saying

It's not the 'bandits' I'm that annoyed about

I thought I was pretty clear in my explanation, but I guess I wasn't clear enough. I don't have a problem with bandits. I LIKE bandits. They add flavor and variety. Kill me and take my stuff, yes please, I have no problem with that. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would do the same thing in real life anyway.

I have a problem with the people who call themselves "bandits" and then go sit outside high traffic areas with a sniper rifle and kill unarmed players for no reason, and don't even bother taking their stuff. The term bandit does not fit. There are several terms that do fit, such as jerk, prick, douchebag, griefer, and several more vulgar descriptions that are 100% accurate. The people who spawn, run to cherno/elektro and grab a gun, then just run around looking for people to shoot fall into the same category. Die, respawn, go back, repeat. It ruins the experience and the immersion, and runs completely contrary to the "survival" aspect of the game. People who are trying to survive do not go in search of reckless combat.

Before some completely illiterate retard says something along the lines of QQ MOAR or BUTTHURT, I'll just go ahead and point out that it's been weeks since I've been shot. I know how to avoid this kind of scum. But not everyone else does, and it destroys the experience for a first time player who is wandering around the city, exploring, taking in the scenes of a truly immersive and expansive game, when some jacktard shoots him for absolutely no reason other than to be a complete prick.

Edited by (CNDF) Angel
  • Like 5

I also dont' feel that it's up to the game to force us to care, or force us to co-operate, or give us any more incentive than there already is (other than possibly base building and more ways to fortify, because I would co-operate more for that stuff). Instead, we should be looking to the community. We should be changing the way people look at the game, or at least try being persuasive enough to get them to think about *why* they're mindlessly killing and not trying other means of playing. Make your own reasons for not killing someone--they do exist.

The mechanic shouldn't be there to force people to cooperate. It should be there to even out "friendly" and "kos" playstyles, because now "kos" has advantage over "friendly".

I thought I was pretty clear in my explanation, but I guess I wasn't clear enough. I don't have a problem with bandits. I LIKE bandits. They add flavor and variety. Kill me and take my stuff, yes please, I have no problem with that. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would do the same thing in real life anyway.

I have a problem with the people who call themselves "bandits" and then go sit outside high traffic areas with a sniper rifle and kill unarmed players for no reason, and don't even bother taking their stuff. The term bandit does not fit. There are several terms that do fit, such as jerk, prick, douchebag, griefer, and several more vulgar descriptions that are 100% accurate. The people who spawn, run to cherno/elektro and grab a gun, then just run around looking for people to shoot fall into the same category. Die, respawn, go back, repeat. It ruins the experience and the immersion, and runs completely contrary to the "survival" aspect of the game. People who are trying to survive do not go in search of reckless combat.

Before some completely illiterate retard says something along the lines of QQ MOAR or BUTTHURT, I'll just go ahead and point out that it's been weeks since I've been shot. I know how to avoid this kind of scum. But not everyone else does, and it destroys the experience for a first time player who is wandering around the city, exploring, taking in the scenes of a truly immersive and expansive game, when some jacktard shoots him for absolutely no reason other than to be a complete prick.

No no, I did get you the first time, I was agreeing with you that bandits keep you on edge, but the game shouldn't be full of them

I understand how you feel I guess. Personally I don't have a problem with the games pvp right now and have had way more characters last a week or two then get blasted on the coast. I mean its addressed in the FAQ on the forum here... "Q: Turn PvP Off? A: No. PvP is a core part of the DayZ atmosphere and we aren't going to restrict it. Just go inland away from the built up towns along the coast where players spawn." Remember this is a sandbox game and it is what the players make it, we might not like getting sniped on the coast, we may choose to not ever shoot unarmed players ourselves but you have to remember its their sandbox too. Id be very happy with this game right now if they just got rid of the bugs and hackers and left pvp pretty much alone.

Getting murdered randomly when unarmed sucks but just join a low pop server and enjoy your (mostly) pvp free early game or just play those same servers with your friends with he same (lower) risk of pvp. And for the record while I'll shoot in a second if someone makes me feel threatened or is acting like a bandit (laying above stary sober with a sniper in a ghillie etc) I avoid players as best I can to avoid a shootout.

I survived for three 5hour sessions over 3days and managed not to get shot once, the shit hit the fan once when we got ambushed while filling canteens at a pond

search for a good private hive then? good times i tell you.

still i am on a 23 days char in the official hive and was all over the map. its always fucking tense.

Edited by Bezki

The mechanic shouldn't be there to force people to cooperate. It should be there to even out "friendly" and "kos" playstyles, because now "kos" has advantage over "friendly".

I guess I just look at the pros and cons differently (which is a beautiful thing, really)

KOS:

Pro : I can get stuff. (which we agree on, but I disagree about the importance of this. "Stuff" is so terribly easy to come by. Unless I'm starving, which isn't often, rejoicing over a can of beans or some ammo isn't that much of a thrill)

He can't kill me if I snuff him out first. (who said he was even going to shoot you in the first place?)

Cons: LOL bullets?

Everyone in the area knows you exist now.

(Ok, so we can more or less agree, but to differing degrees)

Why I should play "Friendly" and not KOS (but kill if truly threatened)

Pro: Potential ally,

potential zombie bait,

potential other player meatshield,

potential human being behind the keyboard and monitor.

(sure these things are hypothetical possibilities, but you'll never know if you don't give it a chance)

Cons: Could shoot you in the back if presented the chance.

The way I look at it, there are too many "what ifs" that don't get explored if you merely blast everyone you see. It's also quite boring. Player contact is half the fun in this game, and the constant state of not knowing is what really gets your adrenals up. It's way too easy to just blow someone away, especially if you get the drop on them, and so much more challenging keeping an eye on someone, or lull them into a sense of security and camaraderie--real diplomacy and human interaction.

KOS:

Pro : I can get stuff. (which we agree on, but I disagree about the importance of this. "Stuff" is so terribly easy to come by. Unless I'm starving, which isn't often, rejoicing over a can of beans or some ammo isn't that much of a thrill)

Well if killing people is your proffered way of getting loot you don't have to go to hospitals/deerstands/shops/stary/nwaf and look for tools. It's more handy than you think.

He can't kill me if I snuff him out first. (who said he was even going to shoot you in the first place?)

Who says he wasn't? If I'm wrong then he's dead, I don't feel bad about your pixels, I don't care. If I'm wrong, I'm dead, and I don't have that much fun having to look for loot again.

Cons: LOL bullets?

Everyone in the area knows you exist now.

(Ok, so we can more or less agree, but to differing degrees)

Why I should play "Friendly" and not KOS (but kill if truly threatened)

Pro: Potential ally,

potential zombie bait,

potential other player meatshield,

potential human being behind the keyboard and monitor.

(sure these things are hypothetical possibilities, but you'll never know if you don't give it a chance)

Cons: Could shoot you in the back if presented the chance.

The way I look at it, there are too many "what ifs" that don't get explored if you merely blast everyone you see. It's also quite boring. Player contact is half the fun in this game, and the constant state of not knowing is what really gets your adrenals up. It's way too easy to just blow someone away, especially if you get the drop on them, and so much more challenging keeping an eye on someone, or lull them into a sense of security and camaraderie--real diplomacy and human interaction.

I'm already playing with 3 other people. If you don't have anyone to play with then yeah those what ifs might be tempting to you, but not to me. Even then, looking for a group on the forum is a better way of finding friends than trying to make friends in game where everyone is paranoid and can shoot you. And don't give me that "human being behind the monitor", since I have started playing multiplayer games I must have killed million other players, why would I suddenly start caring about what they think about being shot by me?

• Like 1