The_Dude (DayZ)

How about a starting weapon?

All you people and your hatchets. I never find a hatchet in the first hour of a life. NEVER. And I check barns, etc. usually after I've been into a city, found a shotgun and got out of there do I walk into a barn with 5 hatchets.

Never used a hatchet as a weapon. They don't spawn till after you have a gun. /sarcasm

You're looking in the wrong places. Look for barns and outhouses for starter weapons.

Unless you spawn by Balota, in which cause go to the airfield/deer stands for military weapons.

Or in Cherno/Elektro the fire station for military weapons.

Thanks, I appreciate this. :)

• Like 1

No. The fun of this game is at the start when you have to find things. I'd actually prefer if all you started out with was two bandages (One for when you take that first zombie hit and start bleeding+1). Not even a pack. Finding a weapon isn't hard, I can gear up in about 10 minutes and be ready to head North. (Food, drink, basic tools, ALICE pack, primary, secondary, and usually a map and/or compass._

The mooks are gaslighting you, OP. Ignore the rabble. A Kamenka spawn is pretty much a guarantee of a mad, unarmed dash to Zelenegorsk unless you're looking for a .45 (which occasionally spawns in Kamenka). Loot is randomized. It's quite possible the OP is looking in all the right places and there is nothing there. I should know, I've played games where I've found alice packs before I've found my first weapon.

It's just how the game works. Saying, "Just FIND one" isn't really a response. It's a non-response. It shows a fundamental lack of understanding the reality of how loot spawns in this game. Of course, if you're exploiting with tents so that you don't actually experience permadeath, then of course you won't notice this sort of thing.

Personally, my longest time unarmed was three hours. At that point I had found an Alice Pack and three water bottles. And then I stumbled into a barn with more than half a dozen "common" rifles and double-barreled shotguns of various types that had spawned in it. OP is not necessarily stupid or a bad player. He may just be unlucky.

So I would say that there need to be higher spawn rates for lowest-level weaponry or a very weak starter weapon for players.

http://dayzdb.com/map#6.019.131

i count 6 industrial spawns, one being medium value, if you don't find a hatchet your blind

http://dayzdb.com/map#6.019.131

i count 6 industrial spawns, one being medium value, if you don't find a hatchet your blind

Not to mention the 3 deer stands just above Kamenka, I have personally found an AK and some other military graded weapons in them. Kamenka is actually a very good spawn unless you plan on grouping up with someone at elektro/cherno.

Noob here. Seems to me that anyone with half a brain could find a stick, golf club, pocket knife, fireplace poker, or even a kitchen knife to defend themselves with before venturing out. Starting with NO weapon seems overly harsh and borderline unrealistic. Its like they dropped you from the sky into the wilderness to start out. I for one could find a ton of weapons before even leaving my garage...

Dont get me wrong, I LOVE the game, but any pointy object SHOULD be part of the starting equipment.

Use to spawn with a piston and 2 clips.

So all newly spawned users would just gun each other down on the shore line.

Well, after some more scavenging (about 4 hours of game time), I finally found an AK-74 and a Makarov. GODS I feel better, though I still believe that at the very least a knife should be available from the beginnning.

Well, after some more scavenging (about 4 hours of game time), I finally found an AK-74 and a Makarov. GODS I feel better, though I still believe that at the very least a knife should be available from the beginnning.

Perhaps not from the beginning, but definitely usable as a weapon.

Don't fret The_Dude... lots of trolls in these DayZ forum(s)... too bad they're not dealt with. Folks post a game opinion and its like the arena portcullis is raised and a group of Trolls are unleashed.

If you survive those Trolls, the Emperor will give you a THUMBS UP!

Ignore the Trolls!

P.S. I agree with your sentiment... we're a "survivor" at this point in the game... so if we start out as a "survivor" why in the world don't we have a weapon of some sort?

• Like 1

I'm all for giving every survivor 4 empty cans! which should be enough to kill a zed if you hit them right!

But realy, you already get a starting weapon, the first weapon you find is your starter weapon ;)

Why not spawn with a crowbar? It sucks and it's already in the game. Seems like a good noob weapon.

IMHO, you should start with bandages and nothing else. Realizing that what we have now is probably the minimum, I'm okay with that also.

Now to my reasoning: My first time playing DayZ was awesome.

I spawned alone and had heard a friend saying that getting off the coast was important. I went from small village to small village looking for gear, but for an hour or more all I could find were tin cans and car parts. Things were getting desprate, I was thirsty and starving and still had no idea where to go. Eventually my vision was blurring and I had no choice but to make a made dash for a farm house that was open, sprinting past zombies to get inside. Soda but no food. I died by zombie maul cornered in the 1 entrance house.

But it was FUN. having to make decisions under desprate circumstances is the fun behind the gun shooting, zombie killing, and player looting. Even a bandit camping NWAF has to decide whether they should shoot immediately, wait for a better shot, keep checking the tree line for back up, etc etc.

Gordan Freeman didn't spawn with a weapon, neither should we.

Edited by 00dlez

Fuck off. Your shit. Watch his one on cherno.

takes him fucking 3 minutes.

Your shit brah.

I have officially done what i needed here.

Noob here. Seems to me that anyone with half a brain could find a stick, golf club, pocket knife, fireplace poker, or even a kitchen knife to defend themselves with before venturing out. Starting with NO weapon seems overly harsh and borderline unrealistic. Its like they dropped you from the sky into the wilderness to start out. I for one could find a ton of weapons before even leaving my garage...

Dont get me wrong, I LOVE the game, but any pointy object SHOULD be part of the starting equipment.

Yes but maybe not a gun, just a simple form off melee weapon so its not OP

No I think we should start with even less stuff than now tbh. It is way to easy to gather gear as well and really when the zombies are as weak as they are atm there is really no need for a starter weapon.

The only thing you can afford to take away is the bag and the painkillers. The bandage is there to prevent death after getting hit once by a zombie. I thought that they should probably replace the painkillers with morphine to increase the viability of only staying in small towns.

Fuck off. Your shit. Watch his one on cherno.

takes him fucking 3 minutes.

Your shit brah.

I have officially done what i needed here.

I maintain my earlier sentiment.

Starting with a baseball bat dosnt mean you will never search for guns ... Its just a weak starter weapon. It dosnt make the game easier, it just gives you a way to defend you

Isn't this game easy enough? Why ask for it to be easier?

"Its like they dropped you from the sky into the wilderness to start out."

No shit. You couldn't figure that out? I have quite a few rifles in my home. I guess I should start out in game with those?

There's a problem with the game at the moment ... the idea behind making people start with no weapons so that they won't kill newcomers makes sense.

However it is fucking hilarious to see a survival in full survivor gear, but only actually have a flaslight and some painkillers. Not even a fucking water bottle.

With all those pockets in the vest and the pants, if i were a real survivor i would stuff them with stones to throw until i found a kitchen knife, cleaver, broken glass bottle, whatever ... If Rocket wants players to be complete defenseless when beginning than he needs to change the default skin to some joe in average clothing.

Gordan Freeman didn't spawn with a weapon, neither should we.

No, he was given one before being in any sort of real danger. Even on the hardest difficulty.

Dude, trust me on this one, play a little bit more and you will see that with or without a starting weapon, it makes no difference.

You can find a new weapon (primary) so fast when you get used to the spawn points in this game, that after some time you'll probably PM someone to delete this thread.

Just keep rolling, you'll get used to this.

And remove the default skin of a person who actually looks like a professional survivor. Since we have no survival gear.