Brutal-Hunter

Am I the only one who doesn't like to use or have snipers in Dayz?

I find snipers a pet peeve in dayz because it kills players with one shot. Most of the time they die without a fight when the sniper hits his first shot. I don't use snipers because I like the adrenaline rush you get when you are in a assault rifle battle. You may think that snipers take skill to use, but they really don't. If you download the shooting range in dayz, then you can play it for about a half hour and after that. You will hit 75% of your shots. At least make it so it has a longer reload time and make recoil alot like in real life. You can't take 5 shots 10 seconds in between in real life. It takes more skill to kill an opponent who is within 50 meters because then they have a chance to fight back. I believe that snipers should be in dayz but there should be servers that don't allow it because it detracts the gameplay value for people who don't have snipers. aka 90% of the people who play this game. If you want to use a sniper that takes skill. Go play halo team snipers

Edited by Brutal-Hunter

Yeah sniping is very easy. 'ironie off'

without range finder its much harder.

without m104/as50 there are no one shots except headshots

As a sniper who doesnt camp certain positions like airfields and such its pretty hard cause if you want to get a clear good shot and if you wanna know if there are mates or not you have to sneek and follow the survivor without him noticing you and get good postions for potential shootings.

If you want to avoid snipers stay away from Cherno, Elektro, Stary Sobor and the Airfields.

Even if you dont - just try to stay hidden and dont stop on open field. I never got sniper since I am not a noob in this game anymore and I am not visiting the coast.

personale note: I really often get snipers with as50 and m107 with my CCO SD cause they try it on short range :)

I don't use sniper guns but that is only because I don't know anybody who plays pc games.

If I was in a team and had people to watch my back and go down and loot the kills or lead people to the killing area I would be using them.

I have always preferred sniping. When I play cod4i loved to go on sniper servers.

Contrary to popular belief, they aren't the easiest to get kills with. Range finding is always a factor. You also have to deal with movement. Sure anybody can hit a target that is just sitting there or walking/running away or towards you but trying to hit someone who is moving perpendicularish to you it becomes another ballgame. And if you don't get them on the first shot they know you are there and any decent player will make themselves a much harder target to hit.

The problem that people who continually get shot by snipers have is they generally do stupid things like stop moving out in the open or in view of a sniper spot.

I suppose there are probably aimbots out there too

My two cents for what it's worth (based on the frequency of these threads and a floating exchange, I'm guessing about 0.0000000000003 of a cent):

1 - Replace the AS50 and M107 with the L115A2; spawn it only at helo crashes

2 - Remove the rangefinder

3 - Make all servers turn off crosshair range and name tags

The Accy International is plenty good enough to allow decent snipers 1000m+ kills once you take into account the broken sight; no insta-range will limit the first-shot kills to people that take the time to learn how to use mil-dots or who don't mind the god-awful reticle of the SVD.

sniper rifles do have a legit implication in the game. but they can also make it fustrating for people as well. using a guy with a sniper as a look out whilst someone scouts out an area is a legit reason for a sniper rifle. or even waiting for someone at the NW airfield so you can take their loots. using a sniper rifle to overlook elektro just to grief people with no/little gear i feel isnt a legit reason. i remember the other day i was a fresh spawn in elektro when i came across a bike. i decided to go on a joy ride through elektro pulling everything and making myself very obvious. as soon as i went to the open fields north of elektro i started getting shot at. i had literally nothing on me. but they where determined to kill me. i just rode around in circles, not heading in any specific direction and generally just pissing about wondering how long they would take them to hit me (yes there were 2 get to that in a sec :P) bullets where landing all around me and they must of fired off a good 20 shots before they eventually hit me xD. when i respawned i had a rough guess of where they were. and low and behold 20 minutes later after i had ran from kamyshovo i found them. camped on the NE hill. they were damn lucky i only had a hatchet otherwise they would of been dog meat. my hatchet charge didnt go to well unfortunatly :(.

my point is i had nothing and still i was shot at 'for sport' and they where terrible at shooting at a moving target. everybody in elektro would of heard them trying to kill me but they were determined to add that 1 murder kill to their count that means so much to them because it meant more than there own safety. this is the mentality of alot of people that use snipers. they kill people 'just cause they can' and i have the attitude of 'killing people whilst holding them at arms length' because its a lot less personal and safer for said killer, just another number to add to the murder count. people will never play fairly if the options is available to them and snipers give them that option. To get into a close quarters gunfight greatly increases the chances of said sniper dying. griefing is so much harder to achieve if snipers sit on the hills around elektro with a lee enfield for example. it just aint gunna happen xD

Snipers never hit me for some reason. maybe it's because I make myself a hard target by running in a unpredictable pattern, or maybe it's because I play on hardcore servers only.

Keep most, 86 the as50 and m107, they are overkill.

Would like to see more mid range weapons...makes for more interesting fire fights with the horrible iron sights and damage decrease.

You don't need a range finder, all you need is a map and waypoint something near. Remove zeroing so people actually have to try use mil dots would be ok and only headshot 1 hit kill unless low blood.

You don't need a range finder, all you need is a map and waypoint something near. Remove zeroing so people actually have to try use mil dots would be ok and only headshot 1 hit kill unless low blood.

You understand that vertical mil-dots are primarily to find range so that the weapon can then be zeroed right? Remove range finders, name tags, waypoints and all other artificial range-estimating aids first.

If you don't want to be shot by snipers, then learn how to avoid them. Don't walk out in the open in high-traffic areas, move in zig-zags when you think there's a sniper nearby, or just don't go to high-traffic areas like Cherno or Elektro and expect nothing to happen.

I don't use them, they're a waste of backpack space if you're constantly moving and looting.

I don't use them, they're a waste of backpack space if you're constantly moving and looting.

Very true. I thought the same a couple days ago.

And then I got bored with looting. So now I camp airfields...

My two cents for what it's worth (based on the frequency of these threads and a floating exchange, I'm guessing about 0.0000000000003 of a cent):

1 - Replace the AS50 and M107 with the L115A2; spawn it only at helo crashes

2 - Remove the rangefinder

3 - Make all servers turn off crosshair range and name tags

The Accy International is plenty good enough to allow decent snipers 1000m+ kills once you take into account the broken sight; no insta-range will limit the first-shot kills to people that take the time to learn how to use mil-dots or who don't mind the god-awful reticle of the SVD.

l115a2 is a 1 shot sniper rifle, i use it all the time.

Im a little bitch. Anything that might endanger my gear i dont like or want any part of. So i sit and wait with my as50. Some people might find it boring but im a natural camper.

I usually play sniper in PVP, but first-shotting PVP in DayZ usually means you're an asshole.

I experimented with my first M107 and ditched it for an AKM because 1) damage is WTF, 2) the scope is two to three times stronger than binoculars. That's right, a one-shot weapon was given a scope stronger than any zoom a non-sniper has access to. It's the heavy side of the seesaw.

I don't hate people who snipe, but I do wonder why 30 pound anti-materiel rifles are in the primary slot instead of the backpack slot.

Edited by BazBake

Sniper rifles like the M24,DMR,SVD etc are fine.

50cals on the other hand... They take away a fair chunk of the skill involved in sniping, IMO

ITT: People who can't handle dying from getting sniped by another player.

Seriously? How childish can some people be? It seems like in every shooter game, if a person dies by some medium they think that the medium by which they were killed should be removed from the game. Am I the only one who considers this to be childish? Oh *whine whine* someone killed me with a sniper or with this and that, they shouldn't be allowed to use it.

Hm. What if I'm a sniper and I'm getting flanked by a guy with an M16 and they kill me by firing off a few shots in rapid succession, would it be acceptable for me to whine and complain about assault rifles being overpowered and that they should be removed from a game? No, it wouldn't. If you ask me, unless someone is exploiting or hacking the game, ANY medium used to kill another player is acceptable. No matter if its a grenade launcher, an RPG, a satchel charge, a sub-machine gun, a sniper or an assault rifle. It doesn't matter. The truth is that you people wanting snipers to be removed or any weapon to be removed are just sore-losers. Really.

Now. As far as one shot snipers go, I would LOVE to see you get shot by a .50 caliber sniper rifle (or any rifle for that matter), get up, and live to tell the tale. The whole point of a sniper rifle (especially high powered, bolt action rifles) is that the ONE precision shot from the wielder of said sniper yields and rewards a kill. Just as the whole point of an assault rifle is to suppress an enemy and fire off as many accurate shots as you can until the wielder of said assault rifle yields and rewards a kill. It would be completely pointless for a sniper to require two shots in order to kill a player (especially in a game). Why? Because its absolutely fucking ridiculous to shoot a person with a high powered rifle designed to kill from long distances with one shot from hundreds of meters away just for them to lose a little blood and scurry around a corner, Unless the game developers plan to introduce a system where certain limbs can be shot off or impaired by shots from a weapon, then shots to the arm, leg, and general body should always yield a kill for a sniper. Of course, this is up for debate. Maybe shots to the arm/hand/appendages shouldn't yield kills, but i'd say that anywhere in the general body should be for sure, always, a one shot kill.

tl;dr shut the hell up. stop whining. play the game.

Thank you,

Skrod.

50cal Sniper rifles are easy mode weapons. Anyone who disagrees is to happy with their easy mode weapon.

Weapon spawn rates and duping/scripting just need to be fixed.

Once sniper rifles are super rare and hard to come by, and ammo for the .50 cals is nearly non existent, snipers won't be a problem.

• Like 1