Sign in to follow this  
Cronic (DayZ)

Drinking from a water source?

Firstly forgive me if this has been touched already. There's a lot of suggestions here :)

One small thing that i'm sure would be very easy to add. Being able to drink from a water source such as a well or pool/lake instead of needing a canteen.

• Like 4

There are ameoba on mars that have suggested this. no one uses the search function anymore :(

but it is a good idea, as well as expanding it to include chances of infections with different types of water sources, and filtration mechanics, another KEY issue in survival.

i will forgive you though, as ye havnt posted much and the search function isnt perfect, but doesnt require as much patience as it used too.

Firstly, it's confusing for me.

I'l say Yes because it'd be logical as a gamer to say ''hay, why not I can't refill a canteen since I have none but atleast allow me to drink from the RAW source of water and let me be on my way''.

However, I'll also say no. I say this because what you would actually have to do if drinking EVEN from what seems to be a COMPLETELY fresh and clean source of water is you would have have basic equipment such as a boiling pan or something else to perform a similar job to concentrate and filter out the harmful substances from what seems like fresh water. Because there is a fresh water pond infested in ''fresh water'' fish and ''fresh water'' algae, would you consider drinking it before any form of preparation.

Therefore, rather than having to collect all of that shit JUST to drink the god damn water you have a canteen which I think symbolizes that you have had to of gotten that to drink the god damn water.

So, I'm sorry but logic in both the real world and ''game'' world implications point me to conclude the answer 'NO'.

(I DID THAT IN ONE BREATHE)

Edited by notdahangoverguy
  • Like 1

Firstly, it's confusing for me.

I'l say Yes because it'd be logical as a gamer to say ''hay, why not I can't refill a canteen since I have none but atleast allow me to drink from the RAW source of water and let me be on my way''.

However, I'll also say no. I say this because what you would actually have to do if drinking EVEN from what seems to be a COMPLETELY fresh and clean source of water is you would have have basic equipment such as a boiling pan or something else to perform a similar job to concentrate and filter out the harmful substances from what seems like fresh water. Because there is a fresh water pond infested in ''fresh water'' fish and ''fresh water'' algae, would you consider drinking it before any form of preparation.

Therefore, rather than having to collect all of that shit JUST to drink the god damn water you have a canteen which I think symbolizes that you have had to of gotten that to drink the god damn water.

So, I'm sorry but logic in both the real world and ''game'' world implications point me to conclude the answer 'NO'.

(I DID THAT IN ONE BREATHE)

A very valid point. If someone asked me to drink from a puddle, i'd tell to f**k right off! However if, & this is a big IF. If I were in a situation where I was living large in a zombie apocolypse, with the very real worry of where the next meal was coming from & some nutter trying to skin & rape my ass. I'd drink my own piss dude :)

There are ameoba on mars that have suggested this. no one uses the search function anymore :(

but it is a good idea, as well as expanding it to include chances of infections with different types of water sources, and filtration mechanics, another KEY issue in survival.

i will forgive you though, as ye havnt posted much and the search function isnt perfect, but doesnt require as much patience as it used too.

I tried the search, I typed 'Water' & 'drink' & nothing. I thought that would be specific enough to find something, but alas no. After that i'm afraid I just couldn't be arsed. However being compared to ameoba from Mars, Curiosity would love to meet me, so would several thousand scientists i'd bet.

Oh & thank you so much for your forgivness ;)

A very valid point. If someone asked me to drink from a puddle, i'd tell to f**k right off! However if, & this is a big IF. If I were in a situation where I was living large in a zombie apocolypse, with the very real worry of where the next meal was coming from & some nutter trying to skin & rape my ass. I'd drink my own piss dude :)

Then as much as I loved your reply being both positive yet passive aggressive towards my comment, you wouldn't survive.

Firstly, if I were your friend experiencing this together I mention that drinking the water would inevitably lead to 2 things.

1) Given that we had enough food and water in the first place you wouldn't need to drink from the pond/puddle as I would make sure we wouldn't leave the city until we had very thoroughly and analytically gathered enough basic survival resources to last us the trip more inland. However, ALSO given that you would attempt to drink water from a puddle to prove the point you are now I would AGAIN stop you. As, we would get to the first 3 miles and you'd cramp up protesting to stop every 5 minutes which would lead us to be exposed. Thus, give or take the years I have known you, which would result whether I'd take advantage of your physiological handicap, leave you to die; I will begin to say to you that you either has simple cramps and will eventually shit your pants due to diarrhoea OR begin to wonder whether or not you are infected, and I mean there is no possible way you would know you are infected given that a zombie could have bled, fell or if there digestive system is still working (wink wink) shat into the stream or pond infecting the majority of the fresh source of water.

2) Don't drink piss, theres a reason it comes OUT of your track of digestion and is only drank under extremely cold weather in attempt to keep your digestive fluids warm and active.

If you wanna survive, stick with me and I promise I won't drop the beans and butt rape you pahaha.

oh, and sorry for the long comment. :D please check out my post on the possible 'end-game' and zombies overrunning servers. But I loved the bear Grylls dig there ;) mwahaha

Edited by notdahangoverguy
  • Like 1

I'm relatively new too so please forgive me offering my whole hearted support for this idea. In relation to the chance of infection idea, I like that too, but I would like to see some pure streams and springs that could be used with no problems. These could become new places of bandit infestation too I guess.