Sign in to follow this  
WildGunsTomcat

We need a purpose.

watch some of his interviews and he talks about his plan for "endgame" additions beyond survival. But I don't see missions being implemented since it is supposed to be an authentic open world survival experience. What you are looking for could be implemented by modders though once the standalone game is out.

If they want that, they can go play Call of Duty.

Really? Is CoD the only mulitplayer game where people kill each for no other reason than a score?

I understand that that particular franchise has bred a younger, spazzier, more retarded breed of gamer than the lofty, elitist autism of EVE or...well....let me think....Arma, but if you require set missions to be laid out for you from on high, then perhaps you are playing the wrong game?

Admittedly, mysterious bandits on rooftops in major towns, sniping with terrible aims is somewhat annoying, but hey at least they have set themselves a goal (of sorts).

My small group divides into set roles and runs mini 'ops' into certain areas of the map for certain supplies; sometimes we go bandit-hunting to protect new spawns on the coast; recently we've set about hunting hoarders' camps with the sole intention of allowing the vehicles to spawn for everyone else. If we amass enough ammo and medical supplies, we take off to 'cleanse' a town of as many zombies as possible to let off steam, which is often hilarious. (PROTIP: Fire a FN-FAL in Electro in broad daylight (AMAZEBALLS))

Get with a group and get organised. It takes planning, coordination and many, many hours to perfect.

what the game could do maybe is implement a clan feature? better then the one we currently have, and have it so clans can claim territory etc I dunno..

I'll paraphrase because I can't be bothered finding the actual post itself, but what he basically expressed was incredulity at the fact that gamers these days want everything spoon fed to them. Rules, motivation, purpose, items... The players want all of this stuff (especially rules and purpose) to be forced upon them.

Having content isn't the same as having information and skills spoonfed. I played DayZ enough to know that there isn't anything in the game. Having drag races is the same as saying that driving legally in the GTA games is part of the game. Driving legally is "something you can do," but it's certainly not part of the game; just as drag racing is "something you can do" but not part of DayZ. To suggest that it is part of DayZ is to suggest that it was intended (or as with other examples, allowed) and thus a conscious design choice, instead of it just being there as a side effect of bored or mischevious players.

My issue is that "drag racing" is not content and most people are asking for "content" not "spoon fulls of rainbows and puppies". when people say "We want to fortify towns" or "we want some minor quests!" they're not saying "HEY ROCKET WRITE ME A LINEAR ON-RAILS STORY AND GIVE ME A MINIGUN AND INFINITE AMMO PL0X" (sorry for capslock) they are asking for content.

Allowing players to fortify towns, or turning on power grids etc is all about letting the player do something he wants to do, but can't. Having NPC quests where you go to a certain town, find another NPC and fix him up isn't spoon feeding anyone with rules or motivation. Plenty of people want to go out there and help other people, it's just most of these other people are jackasses. It's near impossible to find someone you can trust, let alone someone who will trust you. I've never even seen a car or vehicle yet, and I'm sure if I did I would be gunned down before I found ANY parts, let alone get it up and running to go drag racing.

What we can do, what content the game allows us to use, and what other players allow us to do are three different things, and in my experience the lack of content leaves players ruining the "rules and motivations" of other players who are already limited by a lack of content.

Edited by -AoXo-

I agree with many of the people here that creating your own missions is the best way to get more enjoyment out of the game, here's what we've set out to do:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F42919-law-to-lawless-lands%2F

If you don't feel like reading the whole thread, we're basically setting up a loosely-defined group who's only rule is that we're dedicated to protecting and helping people by any means possible. Our "missions" are based on emergent gameplay, meaning that we patrol multiple servers, help out people and share information between ourselves to get objectives to our daily sessions: a Regulator on server X might find a two-man team in Cherno shooting random people just for the hell of it. They might be too much for him to take out, so he hunkers down to observe and contacts a couple of others so they can team up and take it out and presto - all the Regulator players had a clear mission for today with planning, excitement and (maybe) even some rewards! (also, probably the two-man griefer team is going to have a more fun game session than their usual 'hur hur, I killed 6 guys carrying hatchets')

-O

Holey disagree the game needs to be like every other game out there - i.e. having missions.

Missions that are already in the game:

find players to work with or trust

repel players who aren't friendly

collect stuff to make life easier

collect parts to build a vehicle, or steal one (then use said vehicle to repair & retrieve more vehicles)

The unique experience of DayZ could be improved by following the example of the last two in that list; create more complexity, ability, and self-structured 'missions' to make the game what you want of it.

So let's say that my group and I decide that we want either electricity for our compound, or for the entire city of Elektro... we're industrious... so how can we get this power plant back online? (I could see trading goods, power, or something else to a community who runs the mine / quarries in the game for their coal.) It could certainly go in that direction, and while it would be great, the problem would be that it would probably grow away from the experience of being a survival-based endurance fest.

Of course the problem with anything being survival based is... once a player learns enough personal skills and collects or creates good equipment, they're really at the stage of Rocky mountains' mountain-men of the past... they'd surely create shelters and try to improve upon life, and some would congregate to make communities who would want security (solid and high walls to prevent zombies and bandits from entering) and electricity. I'm just not sure, having played DayZ mod, that any stand-alone game that would allow me and my group to live on our own for days, weeks and months on-end in the wilderness (once I had a fire starter kit, an axe, and the ability to collect game and water) without allowing greater opportunity to re-create civilization, would warrant the $$ to buy it.

Edited by Corbon HydraShock

The beauty of sandbox games is you create your own purpose/mission. Too many gamers do want to be told exactly what to do, when and how to do it and exactly what reward they will get for doing it. This isn't the genre for them. I'd circle jerk the status quo all day to keep this from turning into just another clone that we've played many times before.

• Like 1

The beauty of sandbox games is you create your own purpose/mission. Too many gamers do want to be told exactly what to do, when and how to do it and exactly what reward they will get for doing it. This isn't the genre for them. I'd circle jerk the status quo all day to keep this from turning into just another clone that we've played many times before.

Exactly what I said earlier in the thread. Its a sandbox, you want a purpose or mission, make one for yourself and do it. There is tons of stuff you can do in DayZ.

Rocket replied in a previous thread about a separate issue entirely. However, the content of that post is relevant here. I'll paraphrase because I can't be bothered finding the actual post itself, but what he basically expressed was incredulity at the fact that gamers these days want everything spoon fed to them. Rules, motivation, purpose, items... The players want all of this stuff (especially rules and purpose) to be forced upon them.

There is plenty to do in DayZ at the moment without resorting to killing other players for jollies. Build up a group of players who can police banditry. Or get that group of players together to take over a town for your own purposes (nefarious or benevolent... Or in between). Acquire vehicles and have drag races around courses marked in flares, bonus points if it involves going through a zombie infested town. Debug monitor is still up, go with some friends, give yourselves a time limit and see who out of you can kill the most zombies. Have a prize for the winner. For solo play, challenge yourself to see how many you can take down in a given time limit. Then go search for more ammo.

Help other players who need it by offering services (carefully, of course). Go take the DayZ nut up mode challenge etc. etc.

There is SO much to do in the mod, but it seems like a lot of people are only focusing on acquisition of gear or killing players. Call it a commentary on gaming society if you will, but I have to blame this on current generation content and the way gaming has evolved. "The End Game" is the only thing that seems to matter anymore, and I think a lot of players have lost sight of the journey to get there. You don't see level 1 gnome raids on hogger, or 40v40 paladins v shamans (as examples) anymore. People are too focused on getting their 'epic loots'. Is it fun? Sure, but it takes so much away from the spontaneity and creativity that gamers had years ago. Minecraft doesn't give you direction, or purpose. It gives you NOTHING, sets you in a world and tells you one simple thing: Survive. How you do that is up to you, but once you've locked down survival, you need to create your own purpose. The same goes for DayZ.

Think outside the box. For the moment, these are the tools we have. They may be expanded in the future, and we may be given some developer created motivation or purpose, but it should not detract from player generated purpose and motivation. You have a big sandbox world out there, with plenty of tools at your disposal. Think creatively and have fun.

I see what your saying in this post and I agree with you on a few things but on the list you made saying what we could do, like drag races or killing zombies in a time limit. I don't need to play DayZ for all that. Why should me and my friends spend hours finding a car (and thanks to hoarders this is taking longer and longer) and fixing it have a drag race when I could get them to load up the newest racing game and do the exact same thing but only taking moments? Whats the point in doing this in DayZ?