Max Planck

Gamescom - Aug 2012 - Interviews

Sounds really good!! My main concern is the graphics not being as top notch as arma3. Are the rebuilding Cherno using the arma2 map as a base, or what?

I hope the game looks better then arma2 anyway

Graphics honestly don't matter to me at all. It doesn't bother me that the standalone will only be a LITTLE prettier, I'm much more interested in the things that impact the gameplay: bigger, more complex map, improved melee and unarmed combat, more enterable buildings, more interesting weapons (find-at-home type weapons) and a new inventory system: One where I can easily switch between a hatchet, sidearm, and main weapon.

I honestly hope some stuff with the zombie pathing stays unresolved though. Running zombies indoors makes my heart shrivel in terror. It would make zombies a bit TOO dangerous. You have to be able to shake them SOMEhow without going mano-a-mano, but some of the proposed pathing fixes Rocket has talked about will make them nearly unshakeable! Perhaps slow them down?

I've been hoping for more news to come out of Gamescom. Good job keeping track of all of it, Max!

• Like 2

IMO the Zombies should be slowed down but increased in numbers. Not make them shamblers, but more limpers.

• Like 1

Graphics honestly don't matter to me at all. It doesn't bother me that the standalone will only be a LITTLE prettier, I'm much more interested in the things that impact the gameplay: bigger, more complex map, improved melee and unarmed combat, more enterable buildings, more interesting weapons (find-at-home type weapons) and a new inventory system: One where I can easily switch between a hatchet, sidearm, and main weapon.

I honestly hope some stuff with the zombie pathing stays unresolved though. Running zombies indoors makes my heart shrivel in terror. It would make zombies a bit TOO dangerous. You have to be able to shake them SOMEhow without going mano-a-mano, but some of the proposed pathing fixes Rocket has talked about will make them nearly unshakeable! Perhaps slow them down?

I've been hoping for more news to come out of Gamescom. Good job keeping track of all of it, Max!

Rocket mentioned that he would like to add a "lifecycle" to the Zeds. The newer the spawn, the fast they move.

Here is a really good link as well, that shows a recent question and answer about the standalone game. I just read the questions that Rocket directly answered.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/y4x6i/iama_rocket_potential_questions/

Ughhh better be big high quality maps if I'm gonna have to pay.

Rocket mentioned that he would like to add a "lifecycle" to the Zeds. The newer the spawn, the fast they move.

Here is a really good link as well, that shows a recent question and answer about the standalone game. I just read the questions that Rocket directly answered.

http://www.reddit.co...tial_questions/

I have compiled those questions and answers to make them easier to read, over here: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/72533-the-reddit-questions-answers/

wow. so the development of standalone will be based upon its ability to run on a 360. one product for all.

what a fucking idiot. he fucked it up. oh well, mod is decent as is :)

wow. so the development of standalone will be based upon its ability to run on a 360. one product for all.

what a fucking idiot. he fucked it up. oh well, mod is decent as is :)

Please tell me your joking Edited by DubPlate

I'd like to know more on the next patch. I know dogs are being added, but what about artifacting/skin glitches (IE switch skins everytime you log in, sometimes swim in the ground and lose your stuff)/Spawning at the coast when loading goes to shit.

I've spawned on the coast twice today, and once yesterday. And once the day before that. It gets really annoying running back to the north.

So yeah, would love to hear about any fixes going on :3

IMO the Zombies should be slowed down but increased in numbers. Not make them shamblers, but more limpers.

+1. They should still stop you running rampant in towns/cities but they only need to be slow and numerous to do that i.e. to keep you moving. Plus if they are slow but persistent, it will make you stand out a lot more to other players, which is mechanism enough to treat the Zs seriously, even if they are easy to escape from.

Please tell me your joking

Not at all bro, just read this closely

I don’t think cross-platform development is a good answer for PC innovation because I think it really restricts it. You have to make a lot of design and interface decisions early on. So DayZ is going to drive on as a bit of an experiment, and once it reaches a point when you say ‘ok, does this work on Mac, does this work on 360?’ From a business standpoint you’re cashing in, really, and from a consumer standpoint it’s good, because some people who might not like the super duper hardcore complex nature of the PC one, maybe they want a casual, and I’m using a word that’s probably going to make people cringe, version on 360. There’s a lot of people in the world and people want slightly different things, so why not cater to that?

1. Admits consoles are gonna fuck it up

2. Says development will happen with a view to porting to a 360.

3. Admits its loadsa money

I know he put in some other shit about adding "layers of compexity" - but thats bullshit. This interview screams it out; this idea is dead

1. Admits consoles are gonna fuck it up

2. Says development will happen with a view to porting to a 360.

3. Admits its loadsa money

I know he put in some other shit about adding "layers of compexity" - but thats bullshit. This interview screams it out; this idea is dead

You've totally misunderstood what he is saying.

1. Yes he understands consoles will restrict the game too much

2. Says development will continue on Pc and at some stage it will be evaluated to see if they can do a port. It's not being built with a console in mind.

3. Admits load a money if they can port it - which will be good for the game any way you look at it.

4. Also states that a console port would be a different version/simplified/whatever, not the same game as the PC version

• Like 2

2. Says development will continue on Pc and at some stage it will be evaluated to see if they can do a port. It's not being built with a console in mind.

Ignoring the other jibberish; Pls quote what you say from this interview. What I read is that they are developing the game to a point whereupon it can be ported. With this in mind, the size of the map and the compexity of the game will have to be massively nerfed to run ona 360. If EA GAMES havent got the time or money to make two completely seperate games, why do you think BIS has? This concept had to be PC only to work and it isnt.

I was a major fanboy of the concept of this mod. But I have seen countless other ideas go down this same shitty route. What he says is irrelevant anyway. Its going to be on consoles. Thats game, set and match for the concept of this mod.

At least i was accepted for world of warplanes closed beta today, so not really gonna notice the hype and dumbeddown product when it happens

You've totally misunderstood what he is saying.

1. Yes he understands consoles will restrict the game too much

3. Admits load a money if they can port it - which will be good for the game any way you look at it.

4. Also states that a console port would be a different version/simplified/whatever, not the same game as the PC version

Yes on all accounts

how about some news about fixing tent and vehicle saving?

How about you go find some and post them here? That's what this thread is about, news from Gamescom.

Now off to the internet with you.

More searching, less complaining.

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 3

Just got back from Gamescom. Must say, it was a great treat to finally meet the Rocket and get to ask him some questions. I asked him about tents and vehicles not saving gear and he said that its not really relevant as you can now store all your gear in Dogs; as well as ride them.

Cant wait for 1.7.3.

• Like 3

I was getting worried, but this interview with Rocket put me at ease substantially.

I trust that he knows what he is doing. I really like how he isn't all: 'you will play like this...' mentality, but is more concerned with providing scope for players to choose how they want to play the game.

The only bad thing is that the hacking for the 'mod' (not standalone) will never really be adressed, but it is understandable, ie mod = open, standalone = lockdown.

Edited by Hyp3r
  • Like 7

Thanks for the video Hyp3r, OP updated.

Thanks Disciple, added to the list.

Very nice guys, added.

EDIT:

This fantastic forum will not let me post anymore media files in the OP, dagnabbit.

Edited by Max Planck