Sign in to follow this  
naizarak

DayZ In a Nutshell

Bunch of people with OP weapons gunning down noobs. Zombies are a joke and hardly ever pose a serious threat. The advanced players have already gotten bored of airfield camping and vehicle repairing, and are just on the hunt with their NVG's and assault rifles.

Basically, here's how the average player goes through this game:

1. First time playing - explore, collect pointless items, die a lot.

2. Work with other players, explore further in-land, collect better guns.

3. Realize you're essentially running around in circles for no apparent reason.

4. Form a group to repair vehicles.

5. Have some fun driving around in a jeep.

6. Realize you're going in circles, again.

7. What do I do now?

8. Start hunting other players.

TLDR: the game is getting repetitive

flamesuit: ON

I think if the leaderboards were given a bit of a makeover and viewing them etc was a little more intuitive people would be motivated to survive longer among other things.

Day Z has yet to get boring for me, plus keep in mind its a Alpha. It hasn't exactly reached its peak lol, new stuff being added all the time.

I highly disagree that zombies are a joke. Different types of zombies would be fun though (aside from the current ones).

If said zombies could navigate indoors at speed it might be a bit different.

But in answer to your flamesuit requirement, what do you expect from an alpha? Car Sim alphas are exactly the same.

You must have never played Arma 2.

Actually I've been playing Arma since the original game. There is absolutely nothing mundane or repetitive about that game' date=' even in its vanilla form.

I think if the leaderboards were given a bit of a makeover and viewing them etc was a little more intuitive people would be motivated to survive longer among other things.

Day Z has yet to get boring for me, plus keep in mind its a Alpha. It hasn't exactly reached its peak lol, new stuff being added all the time.

Agreed, I just hope we'll see an element of "direction" or "purpose" soon, because in its current form it's basically a free-for-all deathmatch.

I highly disagree that zombies are a joke. Different types of zombies would be fun though (aside from the current ones).

There are different types of zombies, but that's mainly for aesthetics. As a whole, zombies can be easily circumvented and just don't feel dangerous enough.

Another player complaining because they a) don't avoid getting killed or b) don't think up new and entertaining things to do in game.

/yawn

I wouldn't take this criticism to heart, he isn't trying to insult anyone he is simply making a point about the game-play. He is entitled to his opinion and I am sure criticism like this has its value to the developers, so lets not all get up in arms about this :S.

Another player complaining because they a) don't avoid getting killed or b) don't think up new and entertaining things to do in game.

/yawn

Another brilliant post from the guy that looks down on everyone that doesn't share his opinion.

*golf clap*

/yawn

Another brilliant post from the guy that looks down on everyone that doesn't share his opinion.

*golf clap*

You made another thread about how a)PVP is bad, b) you can't think of anything to do and c) that you keep getting killed, on a forum where we not only have a minimum of two major threads covering those issues, but a consistent amount of smaller threads in a similar vein because of people whose only way of dealing with things is venting on the Internet.

After all that, you expected me to respond with something constructive and sarcasm free? Nothing in your original post is helpful. It contributes nothing at all and has been shown how to either a) not be a problem or b) be fixed in other threads.

The comments you got in my previous post were what this thread deserved. If you want to contribute to the discussion, do it in the major threads. We have a search function for a reason.

/yawn

*golf clap*

You made another thread about how a)PVP is bad' date=' b) you can't think of anything to do and c) that you keep getting killed, on a forum where we not only have a minimum of two major threads covering those issues, but a consistent amount of smaller threads in a similar vein because of people whose only way of dealing with things is venting on the Internet.

After all that, you expected me to respond with something constructive and sarcasm free? Nothing in your original post is helpful. It contributes nothing at all and has been shown how to either a) not be a problem or b) be fixed in other threads.

The comments you got in my previous post were what this thread deserved. If you want to contribute to the discussion, do it in the major threads. We have a search function for a reason.

[/quote']

Woah buddy you're assuming way too much. For starters the guy you're responding to isn't even the OP - I am.

Secondly, no one said anything about dying frequently - my character has been alive for days and I have plenty of equipment and good guns. I'm the bandit that kills other people, and guess what, it's boring.

Woah buddy you're assuming way too much. For starters the guy you're responding to isn't even the OP - I am.

Secondly' date=' no one said anything about dying frequently - my character has been alive for days and I have plenty of equipment and good guns. I'm the bandit that kills other people, and guess what, it's boring.

[/quote']

I don't get it. If it's boring why do you do it? No game is everyone's cup of tee, and pretty much all games get boring once you've explored all their content. Move on to another game to entertain yourself. Unless you consider it a game to bother people who DO actually enjoy the game by writing non-constructive forum posts.

No matter what Rocket does, there will always be people who play the mod to such extent that they run out of new things to do and get bored. Add quests? Complete them, go back to banditry and get bored. Disable PvP? Play cooperatively, and get bored. New weapons and equipment? Use them against other players and get bored. Storyline? New types of zombies? Expand to Takistan? Tanks and fighter aircraft? Building permanent bases? You get the picture...

Maybe you should consider how many hours of free entertainment you have got from the mod? If you feel the mod has nothing more to offer you, move on. There's nothing wrong about that, it is the fate of all entertainment. It is a testament to how AWESOME this mod is that people don't want to stop playing even after they've completely exhausted the mod's content.

You all seem to be missing the OP's point entirely. Read it again:

Basically, here's how the average player goes through this game:

1. First time playing - explore, collect pointless items, die a lot.

2. Work with other players, explore further in-land, collect better guns.

3. Realize you're essentially running around in circles for no apparent reason.

4. Form a group to repair vehicles.

5. Have some fun driving around in a jeep.

6. Realize you're going in circles, again.

7. What do I do now?

8. Start hunting other players.

TLDR: the game is getting repetitive

flamesuit: ON

What I believe he is trying to say is that once you have gathered a load of powerful weapons and snagged a car the adventure insofar as zombies is over. With such equipment and transport providing yourself with food is a cinch. You are essentially reduced to standing in the woods having whistling competitions. The only fun thing left to do is go and slaughter players for the enjoyment of hunting people. That or literally just try and enjoy sitting in a forest having a fire and talking to your friends (This is enjoyable - but why not do it in real life?) Or am a I missing the point naizarak?

The only real way round this I can see is with additional features in the form of large gangs setting up to dominate ground. Then food resources would have to be fought over / traded for as gangs settle down on food producing areas.

I think rocket has been thinking about this too. Hence the recent update with tools for developing what essentially amount to barricades.

Well I have to say I agree with you to a point but I fall on the other side of the fence as far as my reaction.

If there was such a thing as a zombie apocalypse the zombies would become incidental, just "well we need supplies so we have to sneak through these houses" or "hit this house and kill the one or two zombies inside."

The real threat would be other people. I mean if you went out and armed up and figured everyone else did and suddenly there are no real rules then would you trust anyone whether or not they say they are friendly?

To me that is what makes this game great. The other people are the greater threat because the zombies are well, zombies and being zombies they are not too bright and easy to deal with while the other people are smart and will hunt you for hours just to see what gear you have. It really is dynamic player choice in how you interact with other people, some will talk and basically set up an info network concerning who is safe and who is probably gonna murder you while others don't interact and they just hunt either because they need items or for the fun of it.

They simply need to impliment a workable end game content to the game, so you're not incessantly killing only players with your giant SAW.

It would be a good idea to have some cities with three or four times the zombie count (including military zombies) to designate those recently overrun. They could have some really nice military drops in them (IE the ones that are in the barracks at NWAF) and there would be some PVE skill to the endeavour. New players would also really have to avoid these locations as it would spell near certain death.

Having 300 zombies running after you suddenly puts team work in perspective and makes group PVE viable.

People need to learn what an alpha is. Give them time to add more content. You wouldn't still be playing if it wasn't fun.

People need to learn what an alpha is. Give them time to add more content. You wouldn't still be playing if it wasn't fun.

I was just about to say this. Look people, the version we're playing now is an Alpha build uploaded to test the core concept. It isn't anywhere close to bering a complete game and you didn't pay a penny for it. Stop complaining, appreciate what the mod is in its current form and have fun for christs sake.

Personally I think DayZ is heading the same way another great mod has gone, that of perma-Beta, like the awesome Resistance and Liberation for HL2. Since some of the key issues are taking to long to be fixed and you can already do so much, quite a few people are going to get bored soon, especially those who got Arma for the mod and do not understand the core fun of Arma.

Pretty soon we MIGHT have a skeleton crew working on the mod with a handful of people playing.

If you're bored, its because YOU'RE boring. Go play in traffic to entertain yourself.

Basically all the CoD/BF3 fanboys are destroying the mod.

During my first playthrough there was a good chance of cooperation whenever you actually meet somebody. Now it's just a teenage Deathmatch mod, no different from a Free-for-all match in CoD. It has nothing to do with zombie survival, it's all kill-stats and kids bragging about their DMR and how they're going to rape you with it.

Personally I've stopped trusting just about anyone in this game and I'll kill on sight simply to avoid being killed myself. Especially with the retarded bug that prevents from ever returning to being a "survivor" because 1) everyone is going to shoot you, therefore you need to kill to survive 2) You risk losing your equipment when "transforming" back to a "good guy"...

/RANT

just help newbies if you have nothing to do. Help them getting weapons. build a task force. join more newbies raid places with hordes of newbies.

Personally I think DayZ is heading the same way another great mod has gone' date=' that of perma-Beta, like the awesome Resistance and Liberation for HL2. Since some of the key issues are taking to long to be fixed and you can already do so much, quite a few people are going to get bored soon, especially those who got Arma for the mod and do not understand the core fun of Arma.

Pretty soon we MIGHT have a skeleton crew working on the mod with a handful of people playing.

[/quote']

You do realise, that:

1) the mod is only a few weeks old

2) getting updated close to bi-weekly

3) there is just one guy developing it in the first place

But yeah, have fun with your doom & gloom, buddy!

I really hope all the people who only bought arma for this mod leaves... More room on the server and FAR less idiots.