bad_mojo (DayZ)

People who play 3rd person

A lot of people have never heard of the concept "Not the Way it is Meant to be Played." Not saying that first person is the only way this game can be played, but I can assure people that just because something is possible in a game does not mean the game isn't broken when people rely on it.

And a lot of people fail to understand that if DayZ wasn't intended to be played in third person at all it would have just been disabled globally.

And a lot of people fail to understand that if DayZ wasn't intended to be played in third person at all it would have just been disabled globally.

Unintended consequences.

Unintended consequences.

You better tell BIS they have a bug on their hands, then. Since they said third person is not only intended, but also "more realistic, in some ways". Of course, you know better, so it must be a bug.

You can argue the realism of 3rd person vs first person. People probably go third person because even "first person" view is not that realistic, there is no peripheral vision and split second look left and right with eyeballs. People use third person view, because to them it is closer to their actual field of vision. But it also loses realism mainly because you can see the back of your character. Increasing your FOV could solve this but we dont have an "easy" FOV slider in arma 2. Now, looking around corners and over fences while in 3rd person, an exploit? It can be. Then again, I can look over fences and around the corner exposing less than half my face. Compared to first person view, even leaning all the way, your character exposes shoulder, arm, part of elbow and head just to peek around the corner? That's not realistic either. This can go on and on, so I until someone designs an "affordable" VR gaming helmet, that allows you to peek around corners. 3rd person will most likely be here to stay.

Until someone designs an "affordable" VR gaming helmet, that allows you to peek around corners. 3rd person will most likely be here to stay.

Affordable being the key word. Bohemia have pre-emptively implemented functionality with triple screens and Track IR. The combination of both would rectify many of the problems addressed in this post. With players usually being able to move their head without any impact on the game, the use of peripheral eye vision was removed. The wide range of 3 screens combined with the angle of your head now becoming a gameplay factor, peripheral vision and eye twitching would have its purpose reinstated.

Track IR is also capable of allowing a player in ARMA II to lean incrementally, instead of jumping to the complete lean that we get from a key press.

With ARMA III they will also be introducing the ability to raise and lower your head independantly of your stance for reasons like covering your entire head behind low walls. With Track IR this will almost certainly be an incremental movement too, which will allow players to peek through those awkwardly heighted gaps.

All that's needed is a solution that's a bit more friendly to those who are light on disposable income.

P.S. I dare you to look at the price on STANDS for the eyefinity monitors.

You better tell BIS they have a bug on their hands, then. Since they said third person is not only intended, but also "more realistic, in some ways". Of course, you know better, so it must be a bug.

http://youtu.be/SSKIgfdg7fY?t=2m28s

Have you seen BIS's damage tables? Yeah...

Beans for you, sir.

Yesterday I was wondering how many third person players actually knew about the head bob setting.

"Get over yourselves you self righteous asshats, nobody gives a shit about your feeling of self importance. "

Ironic.

I never said I felt third person was more "pure" or was a better playstyle, I was saying nobody gives a shit when someone comes on the forums claiming that only one playstyle is legit. Look up the definition of a word before using it next time because my earlier post was devoid of irony.

You were one of the people that the post was meant for thinking your playstyle should be standardized as the only one. One you ignore the fact that it will never happen since the developer is never going to nix an option used by the majority to appease your whiny feelings of self importance. But even beyond that first person is not more realistic, it only adds a false layer of difficulty on a flawed system. You snobs are a cancer who the developers will always ignore. Be my guest and keep thinking you are special and talented while all others are playing a watered down version of the "real game" while the rest of us have fun playing the game that was released. Douchebag.

Edited by Megatron

Anyone who puts 3rd person in the same category as duping and hacking should be slapped on sight.

Edited by Megatron

Bazbake is either a troll or an idiot. How about this idea you pretentious moron, stay on servers with 3rd person locked and stop whining like a little bitch about how others play this game.

Anyone who puts 3rd person in the same category as duping and hacking should be slapped on sight.

Wow you are just full of yourself. If you'd bothered to properly read the post, I said LOOKING OVER WALLS was exploiting the system just like hacking and duping also exploit the system in ways the developer didn't intend.

So yeah... nobody put 3rd person in the same category as those, just go slap yourself.

Also, you're doing exactly what you claimed others were doing....so irony was right. You're here telling us how first person is somehow a watered down version of the real game. Any other words of wizdom oh holy gaming master?

Bazbake is either a troll or an idiot. How about this idea you pretentious moron, stay on servers with 3rd person locked and stop whining like a little bitch about how others play this game.

Hey. I am not pretentious.

Bad_mojo except a couple of people have said its an exploit. I can say looking over walls is cheap and the looking through walls is an exploit, but using third person view is not an exploit in itself. The ladder issue could be fixed by forced first person perspective while climbing, everything else besides looking through a buildings wall are part of third person.

Overall what I was saying is those of you who enjoy first person only seem to think you are playing the real game and anything else is unacceptable. I am saying good for you finding your preferred niche, but for the love of god stop acting like you are superior for enjoying the game in a different manner. I don't think you were one of the people calling for third person to be disabled so I wasn't really talking about you in the first place.

FYI, the only "exploit" in third person is looking through walls, every other issue you guys bring up is just part of third person view. On a map this large who has tome to check over every wall on the first place. It shouldn't be in the same category because duping and hacking are cheating while looking over walls is just cheap, big difference.

Edited by Megatron

I thought your post was directed at me because I was the person who mentioned looking over walls to be exploiting the system, like duping and scripting.

I share the opinion that 3rd person should be removed. But, It's still in the game. Just like nametags, kill messages, side chat, and cranking up your gamma. We all have different opinions.

Let me ask you this... why does it suddenly become exploiting when your 3rd person camera clips into an object and looks through it? It's in the game after all....going by your (and others) logic as to what is considered exploiting.

People can claim that the video game can't properly simulate you peaking over a low wall, but you can even look over walls that are over your head, walls that no average human could ever hope to see over.

I'm not saying you guys are doing it wrong, or that 3rd person is the wrong way to play. To each their own. But when people justify looking over walls because "it's in the game" I just can't keep quiet.

I can't believe are so retarded that this post was actuallyt helpful.. this is like gaming 10 fucking 1

Casuals are so distugsting... GO BACK TO TF2 and LOL

But I can't see over/around walls in first person :(

I don't know why you think you should be able to see through walls in the first place.

I don't know why you think you should be able to see through walls in the first place.

he is saying over and around, like how you would in real life, I can raise my self slightly in a prone position and get a peek over an object, or even slightly tilt my self to see around it without havint to roll or go in a crouch postion. the current arma 2 leaning system that dayz uses isn't good enough.

Edit: SMK needs to be part of dayz if third person is to be removed.

Edited by Orthus

3rd person is shit, it just feed most new ARMA players who bought ARMA for Dayz

How Shit is 3rd?

Flying a chopper with 3rd can see all hiding cars

Easy to spot others, KOS more often, PVPZ?

What also with LAME TAGS on?

Scaning horizon to spot players, vehicles

Can't hide a vehicles insdie a bulding, you can't bulid a indoor basement

SO what you can do is just killing each other

Defence for 3rd? It just an excuse, there are so many expert servers still running

Edited by nxnos
  • Like 1

3rd person is shit, it just feed most new ARMA players who bought ARMA for Dayz

How Shit is 3rd?

Flying a chopper with 3rd can see all hiding cars

Easy to spot others, KOS more often, PVPZ?

What also with LAME TAGS on?

Scaning horizon to spot players, vehicles

Can't hide a vehicles insdie a bulding, you can't bulid a indoor basement

SO what you can do is just killing each other

Defence for 3rd? It just an excuse, there are so many expert servers still running

And you have Sam Fisher as your avatar. :rolleyes: Splinter cell is locked to 3rd person.

Irony is fun but this thread is moot. As I said before DayZ will have server side options for this. Everyone wins.

• Like 2

I thought your post was directed at me because I was the person who mentioned looking over walls to be exploiting the system, like duping and scripting.

I share the opinion that 3rd person should be removed. But, It's still in the game. Just like nametags, kill messages, side chat, and cranking up your gamma. We all have different opinions.

Let me ask you this... why does it suddenly become exploiting when your 3rd person camera clips into an object and looks through it? It's in the game after all....going by your (and others) logic as to what is considered exploiting.

People can claim that the video game can't properly simulate you peaking over a low wall, but you can even look over walls that are over your head, walls that no average human could ever hope to see over.

I'm not saying you guys are doing it wrong, or that 3rd person is the wrong way to play. To each their own. But when people justify looking over walls because "it's in the game" I just can't keep quiet.

If you accidentally do anything in this game it is not cheap or an exploit, I have accidentally duped gear just moving it around but that is not the same as using a glitch to exploit (the entire reason it is aptly named an exploit is because you are using an in game mechanic or glitch to gain an unfair advantage). So if I am walking and accidentally see into a building I did not just exploit, I was just a witness to one of DayZ's many bugs. If I go up to walls trying to purposefully see through them then I am exploiting an in game mechanic.

The problem you seem to have is you still think YOUR OPINION on how this game should be played matters more than others. Lets just start off with simple economics, the game developers are not going to risk losing a decent chunk of people who prefer 3rd person (checked on Dayz commander 68% of servers have it enabled). Even if it is only 10% of the player base who actually will not adjust to the change, that is still enough not to risk that when there is already a solution to your problem. As it stands you are losing in the marketplace of ideas, but you still have the option play in servers where it is disabled. The fact that you think your play style is special and trumps others is just an indication of your feeling of self entitlement (was going to say douchebagery). I am fine with your opinion, I just hate the fact that your opinion should translate into barring all other players from enjoying the game as they want to. Just to make it clear I actually like FP servers from time to time and agree they are harder, but not more realistic (just my opinion there, see my next sentence is not going to be about barring you from playing in first person servers).

The video you posted explained my position best on 3rd person vs. first person, both are imperfect and first person is not necessarily more realistic overall due to the lack of spatial awareness, very limited field of view, lack of intuitive movement to look around objects, etc. On the flip side 3rd person is also very imperfect, while you gain back an understanding of how your body moves in space, you also get to see areas that you would never realistically see (although realistically you would easily be able to tell a groaning zombie was two feet behind you due to echo location and other senses missing in any video game).

At the end of the day you still have the option, so why on Earth do you think others should be forced to play the exact same way?

I know TL/DR

Edited by Megatron

If you accidentally do anything in this game it is not cheap or an exploit, I have accidentally duped gear just moving it around but that is not the same as using a glitch to exploit (the entire reason it is aptly named an exploit is because you are using an in game mechanic or glitch to gain an unfair advantage). So if I am walking and accidentally see into a building I did not just exploit, I was just a witness to one of DayZ's many bugs. If I go up to walls trying to purposefully see through them then I am exploiting an in game mechanic.

The problem you seem to have is you still think YOUR OPINION on how this game should be played matters more than others. Lets just start off with simple economics, the game developers are not going to risk losing a decent chunk of people who prefer 3rd person (checked on Dayz commander 68% of servers have it enabled). Even if it is only 10% of the player base who actually will not adjust to the change, that is still enough not to risk that when there is already a solution to your problem. As it stands you are losing in the marketplace of ideas, but you still have the option play in servers where it is disabled. The fact that you think your play style is special and trumps others is just an indication of your feeling of self entitlement (was going to say douchebagery). I am fine with your opinion, I just hate the fact that your opinion should translate into barring all other players from enjoying the game as they want to. Just to make it clear I actually like FP servers from time to time and agree they are harder, but not more realistic (just my opinion there, see my next sentence is not going to be about barring you from playing in first person servers).

The video you posted explained my position best on 3rd person vs. first person, both are imperfect and first person is not necessarily more realistic overall due to the lack of spatial awareness, very limited field of view, lack of intuitive movement to look around objects, etc. On the flip side 3rd person is also very imperfect, while you gain back an understanding of how your body moves in space, you also get to see areas that you would never realistically see (although realistically you would easily be able to tell a groaning zombie was two feet behind you due to echo location and other senses missing in any video game).

At the end of the day you still have the option, so why on Earth do you think others should be forced to play the exact same way?

I know TL/DR

I don't want to insult you Megatron, but you quoted my post that says stuff like "We all have different opinions." and "I'm not saying you guys are doing it wrong, or that 3rd person is the wrong way to play. To each their own" and then go on to tell me I'm selt entitled and "My problem is i want to impose my opinon on everyone" blah blah blah. You obviously don't listen to a fucking word anyone says and just go on and on about how 3rd person needs to be in the game.

If you'd pull your head out of your ass for half a second you might be able to see that I wanted to discuss the exploits possible while in 3rd person, and if they're actually exploits. I shared my opinion on the subject, for just that, to share my opinion. I'm not going to keep silent about what I think, just becasue it might not be profitable for BIS/Rocket, that would be fucking stupid. I always speak my mind no matter how contrary my views are.

I could easily turn your whole stupid post around on you by saying you want to impose the option of 3rd person on everyone. YOU NMONSTER! But, I understand we all have our own opinions, you have that one, I have this one. We're just translating our brains thoughts into words here on the screen. We can't help but think what we think. It's not your problem nor mine, it's actually what makes being human so great, we're all free thinking, opinionate, and passionate about our beliefs. That said, I still respect others opinions, which you clearly tried to ignore.

I enjoy my shooters in first person. But this game, I don't know why but it just won't work for me in first. It may be about slight nausea and headache (luckily not severe and continuous) and/or something else. Maybe the FOV is to blame like some guys have already said? Not sure. But I hope this is fixed in the future, because the game is more intense in first person, altho I get my kicks in 3rd too when trying to avoid trouble in a firefight :) I think this is the first online shooter for me that I enjoy more in 3rd person.

About tactical 1st person locked views, aren't R6 games 1st person only? Atleast I don't remember playing them in other than in 1st.

<p>

-Turn off head bob (options>game options) I see people complain that they get motion sick if they play in first person, turning off head bob will help prevent that.

shut up and take my beans.