Sign in to follow this  
An_Orphanage

Correct ammo use for suppressed guns?

Not sure if a rename or something easy could fix it, but changing the MP5SD and M4A1 Camo SD to use normal ammunition (MP5 and STANAG mags, respectively) would help largely with the realism.

The MP5SD cannot use subsonic ammunition, as it will not cycle the action. Instead the barrel has a series of porting holes along it that vent gas from normal supersonic cartridges, which allow the friction in the barrel to slow the bullet to subsonic speeds.

The M4A1 will not cycle with subsonic ammunition, again due to not enough gas pressure to work the action. Suppressed 5.56 rifles/carbines do suppress the muzzle report, but cannot remove the sonic crack from the supersonic projectile.

As a note, the only suppressed weapon in the game that can properly use subsonic ammunition is the M9 SD, as the barrel is not ported, and the heavier 147grain projectile can produce enough pressure to cycle the slide. However a suppressed M9 can also use standard (supersonic) ammunition, though the sonic crack will still be heard along the bullet's path.

Not sure if a rename or something easy could fix it' date=' but changing the MP5SD and M4A1 Camo SD to use normal ammunition (MP5 and STANAG mags, respectively) would help largely with the realism.

The MP5SD cannot use subsonic ammunition, as it will not cycle the action. Instead the barrel has a series of porting holes along it that vent gas from normal supersonic cartridges, which allow the friction in the barrel to slow the bullet to subsonic speeds.

The M4A1 will not cycle with subsonic ammunition, again due to not enough gas pressure to work the action. Suppressed 5.56 rifles/carbines do suppress the muzzle report, but cannot remove the sonic crack from the supersonic projectile.

As a note, the only suppressed weapon in the game that can properly use subsonic ammunition is the M9 SD, as the barrel is not ported, and the heavier 147grain projectile can produce enough pressure to cycle the slide. However a suppressed M9 can also use standard (supersonic) ammunition, though the sonic crack will still be heard along the bullet's path.

[/quote']

Yeah this has always bothered me about ARMA, ARMA 2. Not sure why they implemented this system but if Rocket wants to change it I support.

absolutely needs changing, Suppressed weapons are quite valuable against zeds, but keeping my MP5 in rounds takes every man in our team searching all the time

An M4 can and will cycle subsonic rounds, however you will be met with quite the number of misfires in the process.

I want to see a .300Blackout M4-SD in game.

Suppressed guns are way off in this game anyway.

This isn't a Bond movie. Guns with suppressors do not really go "pfew" like a chipmunk farting into a pillow. Nothing changes the fact that a gunpowder charge is going to go "bang" really loud. You won't find a suppressed weapon that's quieter than a small firecracker.

It can be a substantial reduction in noise but it is by no means "pfew".

Basically, if realism and simulation is your aim, be aware that the current implementation of suppressed guns is 100% Hollywood.

Actually, suppressed pistols are acutally much silent then you would really expect. Sure its not hollywood "Phew!" sound, but its more like a "fsss" sound which is actually really, really small, and you wouldn't hear it a half a kilometer away. It all depends on the gun itself though. But Silenced M9's are really actually silent. Look up any youtube video firing real guns and you'll see what I mean. Heck I'll just post a random video I found here to save your time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygl9YGM39Kc

Also the fact that you can't use ACP45 ammo for the revolver for the Colt Government, or visaversa seems really unrealistic. A revolver using ACP45 was made for compatability purposes of this ammo type thats used in handguns, but in the game it acts like a unique ammo type. Same goes for MP5 which uses 9mm bullets which is the same ammo type as M9. I know its an engine limitation from the original ARMA but I'm sure there are mods that work around this so its still possible to fix this in DayZ. Also along with an ability to "refill" your magazine with bullets by taking two half filled magazines and combining would also be a nice addition.

It can be a substantial reduction in noise but it is by no means "pfew".

Basically' date=' if realism and simulation is your aim, be aware that the current implementation of suppressed guns is 100% Hollywood.

[/quote']

This. You shouldn't be able to hear the shots from across the city, but a block or two away.

The PDW seems to be able to use most if not all 9x19mm ammo

I've loaded M9, Mp5 and G17 mags into it. Not sure if this is intended or unique to the PDW

Not sure if a rename or something easy could fix it' date=' but changing the MP5SD and M4A1 Camo SD to use normal ammunition (MP5 and STANAG mags, respectively) would help largely with the realism.

[/quote']

Hello An_Orphanage,

While it would be more realistic for the MP5SD and M4A1 to use normal ammunition that will conflict with how the zombies are alerted to suppressed gun fire.

Currently Zombies are alerted to gun fire based on their ammunition and NOT weapon type.

If the MP5SD shot normal rounds the Zombies would calculate it as if the firer was using a standard MP5 (although to the player it will sound silenced.)

I hope this helps clarify the reasoning for different ammunition.