Sign in to follow this  
SmashT

DayZ on consoles

And those will be more powerful than most or maybe all the current pc hardware

Are you stoned?

• Like 1

Ok, here it goes:

Dear rocket and the dev team/BIS, if you really want more moneh that much why not work in a Linux version? I never understand why most companies don't do it. Native Linux DayZ = dozens or even hundreds of thousands sales. At least Valve seems to have realized that.

Not that I don't trust rocket but a game like DayZ doesn't seem to fit consoles, it will have to be "dumbed down" almost for sure and will lose it's essence in my opinion.

Would love it to be on console. All my real life friends have consoles and at least I could roll with people I trust.

The problem there would likely be the audience. Not to hurt anyone's feelings, but I think we can agree that the nerdiest, most hardcore gamers gravitate toward the PC, and those of us who had Arma before DayZ came out are the kind of dorks who play simulations and don't mind referring to an out-of-game hand-written spreadsheet or conversion table when we want to use mil dots or aim an artillery piece. Guys like us are rarer in the console community, and that mainstream audience might not embrace a game that's as technical and grueling as Arma.

I think that the core experience of DayZ--the stealth, the scavenging, the loot roulette and the PvP--can be expressed on a console, though. It's just that not everyone is going to put down Gears or CoD or Madden to play it. I don't see it as a terribly lucrative market for Rocket, and I hope the PC version gets the primary focus.

The closest game I can think of to ArmA or DayZ would be the earlier Socoms, none of which are found on the PS3. Even then, the vast majority of Socom fans hated Socom 3 because of the big maps and vehicles. I guess they'll hate DayZ even more. Socom had a lot of what this game offers in terms of combat and freedom while avoiding the arcade nature of other shooters. (unless you played the same small deathmatch maps again and again) Most of the tactical game play was found in the singleplayer campaign though but S3 did offer more freedom for that in multiplayer. But yeah, Socom titles were not blockbusters..

A lot of other hardcore features like bullet drop can be found in other console games but usually not all found in the same place. There are plenty of hardcore gamers floating around the console landscape but there are not really any solid games for them to coalesce around. The console market is pretty terrible at the moment and there is much too much focus on DLC and the publishers seem more interested in milking the fans of every penny until a franchise dries up. That branch of the gaming industry (maybe all?) is much more interested in getting people to buy the next over hyped piece of garbage than building solid titles.

Console gamers want games like DayZ. I've heard it again and again and I honestly hope Rockstar has taken notice of DayZ's success. They're probably the only current console focused developer that could pull this off without fucking it up too much. They were halfway there with GTA4's multiplayer and even a less hardcore persistent sandbox game would be a wild success on consoles.

I think DayZ could be quite successful on consoles but not on this current generation of hardware.

They hold back graphical development, give games piss-poor control schemes, and make dumbed-down hand-holding gameplay the industry standard. Just to name a few problems with consoles.

That being said, I don't have a problem with a DayZ console port, as long as they finish development of the PC version before they even begin to think about consoles. Also, keep the servers segregated, I don't enjoy being called racial slurs by porcine 10 year olds.

Absolutely this.

Consoles have their place. But it's what consoles have done to game development that is the issue. Due to the low price of consoles millions have been sold when compared to decent gaming pc's.

Look at trailers for the Crysis3 and Frostbite engines. That's everything a console can't do and those game engines are not fully mature. They are the future but cannot be used now due to the current console hardware. The next generation will be far better but they will once agin be the limiting factor for pc's.

Those of us that play on pc's get graphics and textures limited by an aging console platform. And this is done for the sake of money, Since such a large segment of the gaming industries sales are on consoles, game designers and publishers are forced to program games with the outdated consoles of today. It's the publishers that are ultimately responsible for giving us trash console ports for the sake of profits.

When I play on a console I know what to expect.

When I play on a PC I expect more, far more than most of the trash that's fed to us today. I use a PC for its ability, not for the limitations of todays consoles.

The reason I would like to see it on xbox is because a lot of my gaming friends don't have a good PC and cant play it otherwise and its sad that they will miss out on such an epic game.

The reason I would like to see it on xbox is because a lot of my gaming friends don't have a good PC and cant play it otherwise and its sad that they will miss out on such an epic game.

PC users don't mind if it's a PC game ported to consoles. We have a problem if it's a console game ported to PC.

my only problem with it being on consoles is that it will hold back what can be done on PC because of the shitty hardware that consoles have. if you want to make DayZ the PC game and then tone it down for consoles like they did Crysis 1, then thats fine by me.

At least the ps3 version won't have 100,000 hackers ruining everyone's experience!

Nope, not hackers or scripters. Just the usual lag switching cowards and glitchers. All of which is common on every shooter on every console. You can find scum anywhere you look.

• Like 1

PC needs to reclaim its status as the top gaming platform. Consoles for the most part are dumbing down the games, among other things.

I believe the last true PC game was Crysis. Why can't DayZ just stay on PC? It will probably suck on console anyway.

• Like 2

my only problem with it being on consoles is that it will hold back what can be done on PC because of the shitty hardware that consoles have. if you want to make DayZ the PC game and then tone it down for consoles like they did Crysis 1, then thats fine by me.

It's not the consoles that hold back advancement. If Crysis3 and Frostbite engines are ready to be used but are being held back, then it's the publishers and developers doing it. They want all that money console titles generate. Don't blame console gamers for that. Blame the bean counters. If the industry was actually interested in making quality games then they would.

I'm also willing to bet that a large portion of PC gamers can't even run those engines on their full settings so if you want to blame players and their hardware for the lack of high end graphics across the spectrum of titles then you need to take that in account as well.

I don't see why not...if the innovation and developement comes from PC and PC players and after the game is solid, built and few changes are being made...why not?

Thats more revenue for a company deserving of it. The only reason I would object is if they made it console only or sacrificed the PC for it. He is not intending to do that. So whats the problem?

That's what i thought but it seams after a game gets big and it's moves to consoles it just goes down hill, my example the battlefield series.

• Like 1

DayZ on console, casual gaming will increase a LOT, i hope DayZ will not be a big casual game in the next years and stay the same 'hardcore' game.

It's not the consoles that hold back advancement. If Crysis3 and Frostbite engines are ready to be used but are being held back, then it's the publishers and developers doing it. They want all that money console titles generate. Don't blame console gamers for that. Blame the bean counters.

I remember the Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3 forums [uK Forum] very clearly in the months leading up to both of those games releases.

The consolers were crying that battlefield was too hard, bullets do too much damage.....why is there no regenerating health?.... remove prone, it's not fair snipers can't be seen....

calling the commander position an all seeing hack.. We need a killcam!!111 ........blah blah blah.

The COD crowd joined in on the whining that Battlefield was too hard, needs to be faster..less tactical..

All that whining from the consolers/COD crowd is what you now see in Battlefield 3.

In fact several long time hard working PC community members who were invited to EA's offices in Los Angeles to see the first Beta versions of the console version of Bad Company 2

all got their EA accounts banned after they dared go on the forums and tell the community that it's a severaly graphically and gameplay wise dumbed down version of Battlefield..

Gordon Van Dyke the producer invited them personally "to show PC gamers that they weren't dumbing down the game", when they didn't agree and told the truth the paid the price.

So ya, consolers with their low expectations and demands to dumb down games have a LOT of do with the crap we on PC have to deal with.

• Like 2

if they put it on ps3 then head turning should be possible by tilting the controller because it has sixaxis.

PC games ported to console just dont work.

From the limitations of the hardware to the controls, its never going to work. What are they gonna do, snipe people from 100 meters because the hardware cant handle more? Also they'd have to put in a auto-aim function for the joystick to work.

Look at crysis 1 or counter strike global offensive on consoles, utter failures because PC games simply wont work on consoles. Once they have been ported all the stuff that made them good had to either be removed or dumbed down so it resembles a generic cod shooter.

• Like 1

I think they have legitimate grounds for concern

How would you feel if you heard that your long awaited console title would also run on a vic 20

The problem is that they automatically assume that because it's thought of as a possibility in the future that the devs are going to completely gimp the PC version. As someone else in this thread mentioned. Minecraft did the same thing, developed the PC version as it should be and then made versions for mobile and console which aren't the exact game but are tailored for their platform.

I do agree that Rocket would be doing all his potential customers a disservice if he gimped the standalone in order to make it run on current consoles. Which brings up another point which is that the next generation isn't that far off. There have been numerous reports about the "Xbox 720" dev kits being out there already. So it could potentially run on the next gen consoles without much issue. The only issue I see for consoles is the controls, not having the number of keys that a keyboard has makes all the numerous actions you can currently do in DayZ nearly impossible to map to a controller.

Of course if they do develop a console version I think that it would be best to have console players play with console players and PC players with PC players to keep things as fair as possible.

The point of my original post was that I'm just tired of the whining from PC gamers who claim consoles are killing PC gaming. The only way you can save PC gaming is by putting your money where your mouth is and buy PC games. If PC games were as profitable as console games maybe they would get the love they deserve.

• Like 1

Games like GTA IV and Just Cause 2 and Saint's Row 3 had large maps that scaled well whether you were on foot or flying a helicopter. They had short draw-in on units because they generally had a boatload of units around, civilians and highway traffic and stuff like that. In a game like DayZ, where your client is only dealing with a handful of players at a time (usually just you, actually) and maybe a dozen or so zombies, I think console hardware would be able to up the draw distance to a respectable km or so. Enough for sub-AS50 sniping and binocular use, anyway. Heck, outside of PvP, you rarely deal with anything more than a few hundred meters away, due to zombies not spawning farther out and most guns having a max effective range of under 300m.

My PC isn't state-of-the-art anymore, and it runs DayZ at max settings and 8km visibility with a decent framerate, even in cities. I expect the next generation of consoles to more than match its capabilities, so I'm not worried about the technical aspect. Even with today's console hardware, as I noted above, a passable environment could be managed. It might not be as pretty close-up as Halo 5 or Modern Warfare 4 will be, but neither is ArmA2.

My main worry is that console players won't embrace the game as it is, giving the DayZ team a choice between economic failure and compromising the integrity of the game's vision. If it comes to that, I hope they choose economic failure and live off the PC sales instead of making a lame game and driving a Bentley.

PC needs to reclaim its status as the top gaming platform. Consoles for the most part are dumbing down the games, among other things.

I believe the last true PC game was Crysis. Why can't DayZ just stay on PC? It will probably suck on console anyway.

Are we brother's lost at birth. Crysis i think was one of the best PC games of all times.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

I made a similar thread: http://dayzmod.com/f...ayz-on-console/

The thread states my opinion about going console. Its meant to be a discussion about it, possible convinces others of a different idea.

Its meant to make people think. Something a lot of people I'm noticing can't do.

(I read through all the post in this thread, I'm not a complete moron.)

Edited by Alcatraz968

I could care less if it is ported to consoles. This would allow all of my friends to play with me because they are all die hard console players, i am sick of playin alone. The thing that bothers me the most is why the FUCK! is this even on the table when so many other things need attention?

The point of my original post was that I'm just tired of the whining from PC gamers who claim consoles are killing PC gaming. The only way you can save PC gaming is by putting your money where your mouth is and buy PC games. If PC games were as profitable as console games maybe they would get the love they deserve.

The main reason console games make more money is that not everyone can afford a $1,200 machine while there is a larger amount of people out there who can/are willing to pay $300 for a console then $60 for a game so that's just a bigger market it does not make console gaming better by any means it's just cheaper to get into. And also by having a bigger market an a bigger profit margarine on the console side of things the major company's tailor more to the console side of the game gimping things and making it work easier for the controller and weaker hardware trying to get more people in the console market to buy there game while alienating the PC community and killing there game all together in the long run.

I could care less if it is ported to consoles. This would allow all of my friends to play with me because they are all die hard console players, i am sick of playin alone. The thing that bothers me the most is why the FUCK! is this even on the table when so many other things need attention?

Die hard console player is just someone who won't fork up that cash to get a PC or just can't afford it and do you really think ARMA 2 or dayz in general would look any good on current gen hardware?

Edited by M4V3R1CK

You guys know that the next Xbox is coming out next year?

By the time this game is finished, it will be ported to the next generation of consoles...

And those will be more powerful than most or maybe all the current pc hardware so i really dont see a problem with this.

And let the controls be our problem, wtf do you care?

Consoles are never better than PC hardware. Consoles are extremely compatible with it's own set and specific generic hardware - but they've never been more powerful than the mediocre available hardware for PC.