karlnp

DayZ: The Worst Best Zombie Game

Hey everyone,

Normally I stick to the server forum, but I have an article up on Medium Difficulty today that I'd really like everyone's feedback on.

Another recent viral phenomenon is the explosion in popularity of Day Z, a mod for the formerly-niche military simulator Arma II: Combined Ops. Only a few months old, Day Z is now so popular that Amazon recently ran out of keys for Arma II and a recent version of the mod added support for more than a million player characters in the central database. It’s officially A Thing.

Even more striking than the scope of the mod’s sudden success, though, is the way in which every game blog of note seems to be covering it. Rock Paper Shotgun and PC Gamer are publishing post after post after journal entry, describing the poster’s experience within the mod. Even the recent interview with the mod’s creator, Dean “Rocket” Hall, is mostly in the form of the interviewer and interviewee comparing notes about their respective experiences with the game.

So the question remains to be asked: Why is Day Z so popular?

http://www.mediumdifficulty.com/

Let me know what you think!

best,

karlnp

Hello,

I just wanted to let you know that your game-mod is one of the baddest Mods i have played in arma. And of cause I’m going to let you know the reasons. First of all, all the Servers lag so horrible that you cannot enjoy the game (if there where something to enjoy). This has nothing to do with the amount of players in game, because Ace or PR Servers don’t lag even with more people on it.

Let’s talk about the Zombies… The Zombies in the game are just totally fucked up. First they just stumbling around of course only in town or villages, because they don’t like too much of the green stuff I guess… (Forests and Grain fields) But the same Zombies can run like Usain bolt… and then we got the “Jumper”? who act like monkeys but sometimes stand up run and knock you down before you can even say “what the fuck is it…..” dead… but the good thing is the Zombies have good manners cause the don’t run in houses… they eat you alive… but running in Houses.

And when you dead, of course you lose everything… Yeah that makes since in a MRPG. You die and you lose everything… that’s cool. After 5 hours searching and Sneaking and Searching and Sneaking is it really cool to lose all the stuff that you had… a specially when a guy come out of nowhere and just shoots you right in the face, maybe just because he also just got killed and is mad that he lost everything. I would love the see a World of Warcraft or Diablo III player who dies once in the game and has to start from scratch. He would probably kill someone…

An other thing is that you game has no Goal… just nothing… You start off with nothing then you search for stuff, sneak a bit and kill some other players if you wish or even create a car, but then you don’t really know what else you should do?. Maybe because THERE IS NOTHING ELSE TO DO!

You got no Quest, no Bosses to fight; you cannot create a group or see playersnames, nothing. Even when you play with Friends over TeamSpeak the most asked Question is “Where did you go?”. You cannot even capture a House. What is the Goal? Just Surviving? Well… that’s a little… boring maybe?

DayZ is pretty much for people how cannot afford to buy a good zombie game or for people who have never played a good Zombie game., cause the only good thing about DayZ is that you can have it for free.

if you think im one of the things in not right, please correct me.

Hello' date='

I just wanted to let you know that your game-mod is one of the baddest Mods i have played in arma. And of cause I’m going to let you know the reasons. First of all, all the Servers lag so horrible that you cannot enjoy the game (if there where something to enjoy). This has nothing to do with the amount of players in game, because Ace or PR Servers don’t lag even with more people on it.

Let’s talk about the Zombies… The Zombies in the game are just totally fucked up. First they just stumbling around of course only in town or villages, because they don’t like too much of the green stuff I guess… (Forests and Grain fields) But the same Zombies can run like Usain bolt… and then we got the “Jumper”? who act like monkeys but sometimes stand up run and knock you down before you can even say “what the fuck is it…..” dead… but the good thing is the Zombies have good manners cause the don’t run in houses… they eat you alive… but running in Houses.

And when you dead, of course you lose everything… Yeah that makes since in a MRPG. You die and you lose everything… that’s cool. After 5 hours searching and Sneaking and Searching and Sneaking is it really cool to lose all the stuff that you had… a specially when a guy come out of nowhere and just shoots you right in the face, maybe just because he also just got killed and is mad that he lost everything. I would love the see a World of Warcraft or Diablo III player who dies once in the game and has to start from scratch. He would probably kill someone…

An other thing is that you game has no Goal… just nothing… You start off with nothing then you search for stuff, sneak a bit and kill some other players if you wish or even create a car, but then you don’t really know what else you should do?. Maybe because THERE IS NOTHING ELSE TO DO!

You got no Quest, no Bosses to fight; you cannot create a group or see playersnames, nothing. Even when you play with Friends over TeamSpeak the most asked Question is “Where did you go?”. You cannot even capture a House. What is the Goal? Just Surviving? Well… that’s a little… boring maybe?

DayZ is pretty much for people how cannot afford to buy a good zombie game or for people who have never played a good Zombie game., cause the only good thing about DayZ is that you can have it for free.

[/quote']

Please name me one or two real ZOMBIE SURVIVAL game please.. I would LOVE to see a good one if this one is bad. (Actually I would love to see more considering how few there is.) Your a bad troll. You need to grow to be independent. Open world games are popular for a reason. Sandbox games show this even more. You'd love Metro 2033. Very LINEAR. I love the game, but crave choices and my own path. Not this linear route.

This game punishes mistakes, not babies you as you learn the game. You mess up, YOUR DEAD. Man I learned fast, perhaps you should have. I usually last upwards of 10 hours per life. (Sometimes I get ganked repeatedly at coast though. Hehe...)

First of all' date=' all the Servers lag so horrible that you cannot enjoy the game (if there where something to enjoy). This has nothing to do with the amount of players in game, because Ace or PR Servers don’t lag even with more people on it.

[/quote']

Because ACE or PR whatever-such-mods, don't tie into a persistent database. Lots of data going back and forth, it adds strain. The game is in its infancy. It is Alpha.

Let’s talk about the Zombies…

You might like something easier like Half Life 2, Hello Kitty Online, or something much less "pressing" on your FPS skills.

And when you dead, of course you lose everything… Yeah that makes since in a MRPG. You die and you lose everything… that’s cool.

Welcome to Permadeath, something modern games don't use because some people's pussies get tied so tightly in a knot that they implode into diamonds (See Twilight, Film).

Goal… just nothing… You start off with nothing then you search for stuff, sneak a bit and kill some other players if you wish or even create a car, but then you don’t really know what else you should do?. Maybe because THERE IS NOTHING ELSE TO DO!

It is a sandbox game. I'm sorry there isn't a stick and carrot saying "Do a barrel roll" every five minutes on your screen. Again, Hello Kitty online might offer a much more thrilling and entertaining venue for your specific video game demands.

The goal is: Do whatever you want.

Can't enjoy it? Go play something else.

I'm sorry the game is too unsophisticated for someone of your extravagant tastes. Oh mind giving an example of one of your, (I know Master I'm not worthy enough to know) "good" zombie games?

This isn't the game you're looking for. Move along.

"This isn't the game I'm looking for.. Move along, Move long!"

""good" zombie games?"

Probably Resident Evil. :D

Hey the older ones were a lot of fun, the newer ones, meh. But I just wish I knew what the flying ***k he was talking about!

I just wanted to let you know that your game-mod is one of the baddest Mods i have played in arma.

DayZ is the baddest of them all, If you ain't 'bout money, then I don't mess with y'all

Y'all think I don't get girls, cause I ain't very tall

If she see my stacks, I bet you that she calls

Hello' date='

[/quote']

Hilarious.

This is excellent trolling..... Right?

L

Quote:And when you dead, of course you lose everything… Yeah that makes since in a MRPG. You die and you lose everything… that’s cool.

Welcome to Permadeath, something modern games don't use because some people's pussies get tied so tightly in a knot that they implode into diamonds (See Twilight, Film).

haha thats fuckin funny.

by the way is there really a hello kitty online?? i'd like to show my 6 year old niece.... but now i'm afraid scoup will be on there.

i love the style of this game. i've played l4d and dead island and yadda yadda yadda and after a few days i'm bored. with this we've gotten a large part of our clan involved and are meeting up everynight to try to survive to the next night. even though we have groups of 4 people raiding cities we still have troubles keeping people alive because of a random zombie agro (you know, when a member of your party agro's 1 and then someone shoots it inviting another 10 zeds to a party) or someone spreads out too much inviting a survivor or bandit to shoot them.

2 weeks later we're still playing every night and have big plans for our guys to get on in the future and coordinate raids and such.

loving it. exactly what i was looking for in a game. I did die 4 times in 30mins yesterday along the coast but meh thats what i like about it.

i kind of love how immediately my thread got derailed.

i kind of love how immediately my thread got derailed.

Considering that someone decided to snipe your thread with their own overstated and controversial opinion, it's not surprising.

I did read through the article, though, and it seems to sum up DayZ pretty well; the mod is definitely more about how people react to other people, than they do to zombies, which was put into words very nicely.

Thank you! I appreciate you reading and saying so.