ElemenoP

Unconventional Weapons: Non-Lethals, Homemade and more

PREPARE YOURSELF, FOR A MASSIVE WALL OF TEXT

I've wrote down some ideas that I feel could add a lot of variety and depth to the game. Giving the player more avenues into and out of situations, as well as adding more goals and possibilities to the mod.

[][][] [Non-Lethal Weapons]

These would not only open all sorts of opportunities for hilarity, but it could allow a little less PvP qq'ing with the ability to lose a confrontation, yet still come out alive.

[=] Tranq Rifles - [Fire/police stations, deer stands]

Rather than outright killing a foe, the pacifistic player could quietly incapacitate a potential threat. Allowing him to quickly desecrate his victim and escape without being forced to make the kill. Incapacitated zombies would lose aggro.

[=] Riot shells - [Fire/police stations, military]

Special shotgun slugs that cause severe pain, incapacitation and even potential fractures. Doesn't kill outright, but allows the shooter and victim to survive for another day. Incapacitated zombies would lose aggro.

[=] Riot grenades - [Fire/police stations, military]

Forces extreme pain and mild bleeding. Maybe not as useful in a fight as a frag, but it beats having nothing and forces your opponent to either treat his wounds or fight in a compromised state.

[=] Tear Gas - [Fire/police stations, military]

Functions like a normal smoke grenade. Causes extreme vision problems and panic effects to those who are inside it.

[=] Flash bang - [Fire/police stations, military]

You know how flash-bangs work. Temporary blindness for anyone looking into the flash up close. Mild bleeding and hearing damage to anyone nearby. It gets interesting when the noise summons every zombie on the block.

[=] Bear traps - [barns, farms and deer stands]

Deploy-able traps that cripple their victims. Useful for defending entrances and booby-trapping encampments.

[=] Flare gun - [Fire/police stations, light houses, military]

Pistol that shoots road flares. Those of you with night time experience will understand how many tactical advantages being able to launch a flare provides. Don't expose yourself, expose your enemies!

[=] Air Rifle/BB Gun - [Residential]

Silent firing weapon that enrages zombies, sending them running in a random direction. Seemingly useless, but potentially deadly in skilled hands.

[][][] [Homemade weapons]

Homemade weapons would really drive home the "survival" aspect of this game in a hugely unique way. It adds a sense of ingenuity, while giving players even more things to scrounge after.

[=] IED's

Not only does this add a little more excitement to the PvP realm, if fully implemented IED's could create more incentives for exploration as well as more flexibility within the player's arsenal.

IED's require multiple parts that can be difficult to find.

[*] An explosive

-----[*] Non-military - Dynamite from the quarry, manure from farms and jerry cans.

-----[*] Military - C4, Satchel charges, hand grenades, rockets, shells etc.

-----[*] Special - It'd be cool to rig up a car horn to summon zombies.

[*] Wiring kits - Rare bundles of wires that could be found in industrial loot piles.

[*] Toolbox - At the moment it's only useful for vehicles, but a toolbox could also allow a player to create/defuse IED's.

[*] Detonator - multiple varieties, depending on what the player uses

-----[*] Timed - Requires a watch (making watches multipurpose)

-----[*] Remote - Requires 2 radios (making radios multipurpose), detonates on saying a keyword on radio frequency. One radio is lost when the bomb explodes.

In addition to the damage output, the noise should summon every zombie in a huge radius to the area to investigate. Essentially, the ultimate fuck-you. Extra fun if bombs could be placed into inventories after they're primed, allowing you to do all sorts of fun stuff. Booby trapping bodies, car bombs, suicide bombers, you name it.

Once all applicable items are in the inventory, right clicking an ingredient should give the option to "Create an IED with [explosive] detonated by [detonator]"

[=] Can mines.

By pulling the pin on a grenade and putting it in a can, you compress the handle and essentially prime the grenade. Tie a string around it, and once someone trips over that string the grenade falls out and...well...you can imagine the rest.

Requires a

[*] Tin can

[*] Hand Grenade

[*] 2 bandages

They can can be placed on any surface, and could allow the player to select another point within a certain proximity to be the anchor for the other side of the "trip" line. Any movement across this line will drop the grenade. Line should be visible, and cut-able with a hunting knife, hatchet, or toolbox.

Once all applicable items are in the inventory, right clicking any ingredient should include the option reading "create a can mine"

[=] Fire bombs

Finally, a use for those empty whiskey bottles. Great for area denial, impromptu lighting, and roasting z's.

Requires

[*] Empty whiskey bottle

[*] Bandage

[*] Jerry can

[*] Matches

Once all applicable items are in the inventory, right clicking any ingredient should give the player an option to "Create a fire bomb"

[][][] [Poisons]

Poisons allow you to add harmful effects to applicable inventory items. Any consumables (food, water, blood packs, medicine) and non-bulleted weapons (crossbow bolts, future melee weapons?) could realistically be poisoned. Adds an element of paranoia to looting after a lengthy duel, and gives players increased flexibility. Interface wise, when a poison is in your inventory, the right click menu for any applicable item would include the option to poison it.

Possible effects: There's all sorts of nasty possibilities

[=] Tranquilizers - knock the victim unconscious.

[=] Sickness - Forces the "low temp" infection or similar, requiring meds.

[=] Pheromones - The player will attract zombies like a dog in heat until the effects fade. (lolololol)

[=] Psychoactive - Forces heavy panic effects

[=] Deadly - Causes death unless treated rapidly. (Transfusions/meds?)

Uses:

[*] Know you're about to get killed by some douche? Poison your beans.

[*] Life in the wastes becoming too much? Poison your beans.

[*] Want to mess with an unconscious person? Poison his beans

[*] Want to add some extra 'fuck you' to the crossbow/tranq rifle? Poison the bolts.

[*] "I need a blood transfusion in cherno!" Here man, take this blood pack. BAM - AIDS

[*] Getting chased by zombies? Tag someone w/a pheromone dart. Their problem now.

Obviously, nothing on here is super high-priority. I had more ideas, but I've stuck to posting the ones I thought wouldn't take any aspects away from the game, or require hugely extensive code-work (aka melee weapons like a bat w/wire fencing wrapped around it). Really, I'd just like to see some discussion started about more unconventional weapons. I'm sick of just shooting people, I want to get more creative!

I hate to self-bump my own post that got no replies, but I went back and reworked most of the post to make it easier to read, added a ton of stuff and generally fixed it up.

One: Non-lethal weaponry. Hell yes! Absolutely, 100% for this suggestion, simply for this single idea. This is worth a separate topic for visibility. Haven't seen it before. Non-lethal options will make a world of difference in the morality of the game, robbery over murder, an entire new dynamic.

Two: Poisons.. Poison water in a loot pile, hide, wait for a player to take the loot pile. Follow them for a 3 hour game session, until they drink the water. They gag, melt, what have you, you steal they're things. Totally impractical, but why the hell not, another dynamic to work through never hurts.

Three: Homemade weapons instead of a Makarov to get new players going would be cool. Especially if (when) melee is introduced.

Four: Jerry Can IED's. Cool.

Five: Molotov cocktails are on the way, if I read a Dev post correctly a few weeks ago.

Guest ragequitalready

Edited by ragequitalready

The poisons sound a little far fetched (albeit, as you say, fun) unless you did something like 3 morphine auto injectors = 1 poison.

Other than that, love everything.

Woah, forum reset nuked a lot of the main post. I went back through and re-added everything that was there before, in addition to a few new suggestions.

I like a few ideas here.

Flare Guns and Tear Gas are my tops.

I'm not fond of the Molotov Cocktail idea due to practicality... though if the Z's here are more 28 Days Later than Night of the Living dead... fire would certainly kill/incapacitate them quickly.

I'd love Riot Shells or some non-lethal round that could incapacitate an opponent. Give more use for that 'Unconscious' state.

I'm not fond of explosives, at least nothing large. The 203 HE is a scary scary opponent.

Why not add craftable wood weapons like spears or bows?

With some wood, a string and a knife you could make a spear to throw or a bow.

good stuff here! if we keep adding weapons that favour the DM aspect, then it will gravitate towards that. Give us ways not to kill!

Just thought I would say, tranquilizer guns for use on people, to I assume rob them, is far far from a non lethal weapon. You know why anaesthesiologists make so much money? Because you give a person a tiny amount too little sedative, they don't go to sleep, tiny amount too much they don't wake up.

And it varies massively from person to person. When it is used on large animals, the most common use, who are more resilient than humans, they have to monitor the animals vital signs constantly and often administer an antidote so they don't die. And the time they have is very short, either because they didn't use enough and it will start moving very soon, or because it is going to die. It is probably less lethal to shoot them in the foot, or to club them round the back of the head. It is not the safe "knock you out for 10 minutes" television and film makes it out too be.

I like a few ideas here.

Flare Guns and Tear Gas are my tops.

I'm not fond of the Molotov Cocktail idea due to practicality... though if the Z's here are more 28 Days Later than Night of the Living dead... fire would certainly kill/incapacitate them quickly.

I'd love Riot Shells or some non-lethal round that could incapacitate an opponent. Give more use for that 'Unconscious' state.

I'm not fond of explosives' date=' at least nothing large. The 203 HE is a scary scary opponent.

[/quote']

Thanks for the input. If I could have my say, I'd want IED's to be really difficult to construct. Make them something you don't see every day. Requiring accessory items (watches, radios, etc) is a means to that end, but more items should be required.

Yeah, molotov's would help to much in a gunfight, but you never know. The ability to set an entire area on fire has it's advantages.

Why not add craftable wood weapons like spears or bows?

With some wood' date=' a string and a knife you could make a spear to throw or a bow.

[/quote']

That'd be pretty sweet actually. I don't know how practical a spear would be when everyone has a gun, but it's definitely an interesting possibility.

I want my claymores. Wire them up' date=' wait in ambush, fire the trigger and BOOM!

[/quote']

I put up an idea for a "trip mine" of sorts. Making a remote detonated IED sounds more your style though.

Fists are weapons as well.

Brass knuckles might be a nice addition.

Yeah' date=' that'd be awesome. I tried to shy away from melee weapons in this post though.

good stuff here! if we keep adding weapons that favour the DM aspect, then it will gravitate towards that. Give us ways not to kill!

That's my thinking. If everyone's going to be shooting one another, may as well make it more "interesting"

Just thought I would say' date=' tranquilizer guns for use on people, to I assume rob them, is far far from a non lethal weapon. You know why anaesthesiologists make so much money? Because you give a person a tiny amount too little sedative, they don't go to sleep, tiny amount too much they don't wake up.

And it varies massively from person to person. When it is used on large animals, the most common use, who are more resilient than humans, they have to monitor the animals vital signs constantly and often administer an antidote so they don't die. And the time they have is very short, either because they didn't use enough and it will start moving very soon, or because it is going to die. It is probably less lethal to shoot them in the foot, or to club them round the back of the head. It is not the safe "knock you out for 10 minutes" television and film makes it out too be.

[/quote']

True, but there's also no zombies in real life.

I like your ideas. Particularly the poisons...I'm a bit nefarious in playing and would enjoy this sort of tactic. Fighting indirectly. Also tranq rifles would be fun. I may have missed it, btu what about a stun gun? Maybe not the projectile one with wires, but the little zapping one that you have to touch the person with. BZZT! *loots guy and walks away*

I like your ideas. Particularly the poisons...I'm a bit nefarious in playing and would enjoy this sort of tactic. Fighting indirectly. Also tranq rifles would be fun. I may have missed it' date=' btu what about a stun gun? Maybe not the projectile one with wires, but the little zapping one that you have to touch the person with. BZZT! *loots guy and walks away*

[/quote']

I thought about adding an idea for a taser like that, but I figured tranq rifles cover those bases + dont have the same range restrictions.

I know, I totally want to poison some people.

Bump for a nice thread :) . As a wannabe sniper would really like booby traps implemented.

now you've got me thinking Nail gun with cardboard sights [HOTD anyone?] maybe have house bricks from all the piles or rubble for that time when you don't have anything! [throws like flare, silent], how about pole/baseball bat/2x4? i know theirs no mele so why not make it a gun with range 1/2 with an animation for the swing? ^.^

Wouldn't it be possible to use rubber bullets as a non-lethal way to take care of other players? I'd love it as a way to rob people instead of simply killing them.

I think they're already in the game if I am to go after the ammo lists I've found.

This indeed is genius! However I don't get it how zombies would lose aggro if you shoot them with riot bullets, that should make them go into a rage instead. "Oh shit that survivor is shooting some rubber pellets at me... I guess I should leave him be." lol

Bump for a nice thread :) . As a wannabe sniper would really like booby traps implemented.

Thanks' date=' and agreed!

Agreed +1 :)

Thank you

now you've got me thinking Nail gun with cardboard sights [HOTD anyone?] maybe have house bricks from all the piles or rubble for that time when you don't have anything! [throws like flare' date= silent], how about pole/baseball bat/2x4? i know theirs no mele so why not make it a gun with range 1/2 with an animation for the swing? ^.^

Nail guns would be sweet pistol replacements oh my god. Limited range, high bleeding damage?

Wouldn't it be possible to use rubber bullets as a non-lethal way to take care of other players? I'd love it as a way to rob people instead of simply killing them.

I think they're already in the game if I am to go after the ammo lists I've found.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I don't think arma shipped with nonlethals' date=' but I feel like it wouldn't be *that* hard to add them in. I'm not 100% on that though.

This indeed is genius! However I don't get it how zombies would lose aggro if you shoot them with riot bullets, that should make them go into a rage instead. "Oh shit that survivor is shooting some rubber pellets at me... I guess I should leave him be." lol

Thats assuming you knock them out with it. When they wake up they won't be pissed unless you're still nearby.

started a thread on this a couple days back so i'll +1 this for good measure

If you could blast a zombie from afar and send him into a rage without injuring him, wouldn't that have some distinct tactical uses? I think nonlethal is a pretty decent idea.

The sap or knockout melee weapon makes me wonder, however. If zombies are living human beings, even though they seem to be impervious to pain, would they also be impervious to unconsciousness through traditional means? Wouldn't a stiff blow to the back of the head or temple still knock out a zombie? He'd just wake up hungry like he always does. I suppose that this would also make them vulnerable to the triangle choke hold and the dreaded Million Dollar Dream, as well.