ElemenoP

Unconventional Weapons: Non-Lethals, Homemade and more

Good ideas man. Adding shit like this would definitely spice up the game and I think overall, improve it. I personally don't see anything wrong with your ideas, and I think they would let players experiment with different tactics as opposed to outright DM/NFG mode.

I bet it'd be a long time until anything like this is implemented, but it's a damn fine idea.

started a thread on this a couple days back so i'll +1 this for good measure

I've seen tons of threads for them since I made this one' date=' if someone posts one better than mine I'll let this one die.

I'll check yours out too, see if you've come up with anything I havn't.

If you could blast a zombie from afar and send him into a rage without injuring him, wouldn't that have some distinct tactical uses? I think nonlethal is a pretty decent idea.

The sap or knockout melee weapon makes me wonder, however. If zombies are living human beings, even though they seem to be impervious to pain, would they also be impervious to unconsciousness through traditional means? Wouldn't a stiff blow to the back of the head or temple still knock out a zombie? He'd just wake up hungry like he always does. I suppose that this would also make them vulnerable to the triangle choke hold and the dreaded Million Dollar Dream, as well.

I added a BB gun to the main post that conceivably does exactly that.

As for the KO, they're just infected people. They can ignore pain but if their brain gets hit hard enough it's gonna stop working for a minute.

Good ideas man. Adding shit like this would definitely spice up the game and I think overall' date=' improve it. I personally don't see anything wrong with your ideas, and I think they would let players experiment with different tactics as opposed to outright DM/NFG mode.

[/quote']

Yep, that's what I'm hoping for. Avenues for potential non-violence without the need for any stupid punishment systems or social contracts.

I bet it'd be a long time until anything like this is implemented' date=' but it's a damn fine idea.

[/quote']

If ever lol, but everyone seems to think so. I heard the bear trap might end up in a patch very soon, so that's awesome.

I would much rather rob someone than kill them. There are a number of Life Mods in ARMA 2 that utilize this such as stun guns for cops. We could easily have this to take weaponry from players without killing them.

I would much rather rob someone than kill them. There are a number of Life Mods in ARMA 2 that utilize this such as stun guns for cops. We could easily have this to take weaponry from players without killing them.

There appear to be a huge number of people who agree with you. Honestly when I made this thread robberies didn't even enter my mind. I was thinking more along the lines of "I'm gonna knock this guy out instead of shooting him and attracting the horde"

I'm all for this.

Hahahaha that video was hilarious man. I'd hope it's not quite as rough looking in-game, but that was a sick proof of concept.

The yells were hilarious.

I like where you are going but i would say stay away from one hit kill- IEDs.

Traps should all injure/ broken leg, bleed, etc but not kill you instantly.

Flare gun would be an interesting gun if you shot a player or even hurt a Zed with it.

With stuff like tranquilizers you could a have the script to a check on the player's blood level. Higher blood level means the dart only blurs vision while a player low in blood would fall unconscious for a set number of seconds.

Poison is something that has to be handled with care because the player needs some why or option to be able to spot if the item is poisoned. All poisoned items sound not be a one hit kill.

Its better to have poisons create weird states like suddenly hearing Zombie sounds or gun shots.

The idea is to use them in a smart way which you have some laid out like this and also to not make anything as a instant kill since players would find ways to abuse these tactics which before you know it people will be poisoning beans as much as they DC.

Over all some good ideas which i suspect we might se something on this over all topic in game.

I like where you are going but i would say stay away from one hit kill- IEDs.

Traps should all injure/ broken leg' date=' bleed, etc but not kill you instantly.

Flare gun would be an interesting gun if you shot a player or even hurt a Zed with it.

With stuff like tranquilizers you could a have the script to a check on the player's blood level. Higher blood level means the dart only blurs vision while a player low in blood would fall unconscious for a set number of seconds.

Poison is something that has to be handled with care because the player needs some why or option to be able to spot if the item is poisoned. All poisoned items sound not be a one hit kill.

Its better to have poisons create weird states like suddenly hearing Zombie sounds or gun shots.

The idea is to use them in a smart way which you have some laid out like this and also to not make anything as a instant kill since players would find ways to abuse these tactics which before you know it people will be poisoning beans as much as they DC.

Over all some good ideas which i suspect we might se something on this over all topic in game.

[/quote']

IEDs: Yeah, I'd be down for experimentation w/how much damage they do. A one hit kill within a very tight radius and then just wounding beyond that would make sense I feel like. The biggest threat's always the building collapsing on you though.

Flare gun: Idk what that would achieve, but I'm down.

Tranqs: I think they should down you no matter what, but maybe healthier players stay down for shorter time periods?

Poisons: Nah, maybe don't forget what items you've poisoned. It'd add just a little risk to poisoning food and water. But yeah, I don't want to spontaneously drop dead, lethal poisons should be ultra-rare. Like, 4 mountain dews for every 1 lethal rare.

Fuck yes' date=' I want to see tranq rifles, that would be amazing.

[/quote']

It just opens up so many possibilities I feel like.

Hehe - I suggest you add tazers to the list :P

(the ones that launch from guns) (handheld ones could be a possibility)

The person you hit falls to the ground as a ragdoll, and spazzes out all over the place. They are then incapacitated for 15 seconds.

[*] "I need a blood transfusion in cherno!" Here man' date=' take this blood pack. BAM - AIDS

[/quote']

LOLOLOL but otherwise im all in for all of the ideas

We need non-lethal. Robbing players is way more fun than just shooting one.

BEAN BAG ROUNDS for the shotguns => player unconscious for 10 minutes + drops all of the items he has on him, allowing the robber to pick up the stuff..

TAZER => player unconscious for 5 + drops all of the items he has on his body, allowing the robber to pick up the stuff.

HANDCUFFS => tie up a player after you shot him to prevent him from getting back up and chasing you, also allowing you to pick up stuff after you have tazered the person. (You'd get a message when you try to move or get up: "You are currently tied up, handcuffs will be autoremoved in 15 minutes").

City Life 2 RPG and Project Reality had some of these things, so I know it's possible.

BEAN BAG ROUNDS for the shotguns => player unconscious for 10 minutes + drops all of the items he has on him' date=' allowing the robber to pick up the stuff..

TAZER => player unconscious for 5 + drops all of the items he has on his body, allowing the robber to pick up the stuff.

HANDCUFFS => tie up a player after you shot him to prevent him from getting back up and chasing you, also allowing you to pick up stuff after you have tazered the person. (You'd get a message when you try to move or get up: "You are currently tied up, handcuffs will be autoremoved in 15 minutes").

City Life 2 RPG and Project Reality had some of these things, so I know it's possible.

[/quote']

Good idea, however these duration's are a bit too long but yes it can work if the balance is done right.

When a person dies, for him to quit, reconnecting and get geared up again, takes as long or longer

10 min is just fine. If not, you're just impatient and know nothing about Arma 2 gameplay.

Now a player would have the chance to keep atleast some of his stuff after getting robbed.

I like the idea of improvised traps & trapping...

Snares and deadfalls could be used for hunting food, zeds or other players...

lots of possibilities....

May need to have string/rope added as a tool though.

I actually really like a lot of these ideas. They're simple enough to be easily understood and complex enough that it could really change the game if you get into it. +1 for OP.

YES, BUT

10 new items = no way this is gonna even work much less improve the game

maybe add one nonlethal weapon

traps are cooler than poisons. Both are risky but awesome additions.

There is no crafting right now, whats up with all the suggestions for crafted stuff?

I actually like this.

Don't tell anyone.

Great idea man! But it would be crazy to work on.

I'd hate to be the dev who green lights this.

Your secret is safe with me.

Hehe - I suggest you add tazers to the list :P

(the ones that launch from guns) (handheld ones could be a possibility)

The person you hit falls to the ground as a ragdoll' date=' and spazzes out all over the place. They are then incapacitated for 15 seconds.

[/quote']

Hahaha a lot of people have been suggesting these, but I feel like they'd just be useless overall since they do the same thing as a tranq rifle with less range.

LOLOLOL but otherwise im all in for all of the ideas

I'm a funny person. What can I say?

I really like can mines and flare guns' date=' these I think would be great.

[/quote']

Thanks man

BEAN BAG ROUNDS for the shotguns => player unconscious for 10 minutes + drops all of the items he has on him' date=' allowing the robber to pick up the stuff..

[/quote']

Handcuffs could be interesting, but having control removed for 15 minutes would be a massive bitch. Either way, I'm thinking about main posting it.

Now a player would have the chance to keep atleast some of his stuff after getting robbed.

Exactly' date=' their gear and their stats could hypothetically stay on them, provided they don't get eaten by z's or otherwise killed.

hahahaha those are awesome but I feel like the manufactured guns littered all over the world achieve the same thing :P

I like the idea of improvised traps & trapping...

Snares and deadfalls could be used for hunting food' date=' zeds or other players...

lots of possibilities....

May need to have string/rope added as a tool though.

[/quote']

Idk how snares or deadfalls could be added, but it'd definitely be cool to see.

I actually really like a lot of these ideas. They're simple enough to be easily understood and complex enough that it could really change the game if you get into it. +1 for OP.

That's what I was aiming for' date=' thanks man!

YES, BUT

10 new items = no way this is gonna even work much less improve the game

maybe add one nonlethal weapon

traps are cooler than poisons. Both are risky but awesome additions.

There is no crafting right now, whats up with all the suggestions for crafted stuff?

lol I'm trying to compile a huge list and cover all the bases. If %25 of the things on this list end up in-game I'd be hugely impressed, and surprised.

I hope to see some of this included in some future release... Sounds like a lot of fun.

Glad you think so.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'll keep editing the main post w/new ideas as you post them and as they come to me.

some of these things may not need much changing, simple beanbag rounds that someone mentioned before can just be a new form of ammo for the M1014 cartridge shotguns, and a lot of the non-lethal weaponry can just cause a player shock or knock them unconscious with a low chance of breaking a bone if say aimed at their legs but doesn't cause the massive trauma and rapid bleeding of conventional bullets. Again all of these affects are already in game and would just need to be fitted to these ideas.

Also I would have great joy in shooting someone in the leg with a beanbag round and watch them flail in the middle of a town while zombies ravage them, just for funsies of course.

+1 for Less than lethal

Maybe a dead fall could be an item placed on the ground. Think say it would break legs, so if you walk over it it breaks your leg. Because I don't think you could really dig a hole. But I think you could more easily break a leg with a bear trap.

Copy pasted from another post I made seeing as this thread is more active-

In terms of non-lethal defensive weapons, for camps and sniper/shooter positions. I'd like to see trip-flares with moveable trip-wires (see ACE mod), maybe player made using an m203 flare/roadflare and scrap metal, as well as bear-traps, maybe player made if using the toolbox in combination with 2x scrap metal or something. Trip wires could be cut with toolkit.

And maybe a lethal version using a hand-grenade and 2 x scrap metal + toolbox item. But that might be too much.

These would all have to be visible, so that only careless players are caught out.