unster

To all the survivors out there

First of all, if you see me, shoot me on the spot. Cause I will certainly kill you if you dont. Body count yesterday between 2-6, sometimes you just cant confirm the kill - the best way to die like an idiot is to go running to get the loot of someone you just shot. Last time I did that, I got shot on the leg and had a broken bone, and had to spend hours seeing all blurred. So I learned my lesson.

Second, yes, Im a bandit. Occasionaly, I will save someone, like this guy yesterday who was running at night with a flare on the beach. I just followed him, he was more useful to me alive than dead. But then he ran from a zombie and fell on the water, and got unconscious. Out of pity, I dragged his ass out of the water, then proceeded with him for a while. He even gave me morphine when I broke my leg because of a zombie strike. Sometimes, it pays to be good.

Most of the times, it doesnt.

You see, I wasnt always like that. A murderer. My character today: a good rifle, or at the bare minimum a Winchester, and lots of blood bags, bandages, pain killers, morphine and ammo. That is, Iḿ not ready for the zombie apocalypse: Iḿ ready for the war. I see someone, I shoot them, unless they clearly just respawned and it would be a waste of ammo. Sometimes, you try to save on ammo, you get killed. It happenned to me.

Now let's see my character a week ago. You had the bandit skin and the dark vest survivor skin going on. My character was pure good: joining with other willing survivors, applying bandagens and helping everyone. My backpack: engine parts, scrap metal, fuel tank parts.

So what the hell happenned? How did I become that?

Just two short stories. And yes, believe me, they are real.

1 - A guy logs in the hotel, it was in that hotel next to the Main Town Hall in Chernogorsk. I was with a friend, we had already went down the dark path of shooting people, but I was trying to stick it to people with valuables. Guy ' s name is "Temos" - if you read this, we will get you someday ^^. But back to the story.

My friend tells me he will shoot. I tell him not to. I had found a crossbow without ammo, and decided to trade with for me Lee Enfield with one clip. So I leave the Lee and take the crossbow, without ammo. We go on our way to Main Tall Hall.

After we left the hotel, I told my buddy: "Lets move fast, I dont want to have this guy with the Lee Enfield on our backs, he might start to have funny ideas". 4 seconds after I said this, while my friend was entering main tall hall following me, he gets shot on the chest by Temos.

He didnt die instantly. He fell unconscious. I told him "do not stand up! He has his sights on you!". I should have done something instead of just hitting the ground and wait for the enemy, but I didnt. When my friend woke up, a few secons later, his character automatically crouched. And he took it on the head and died.

Then Temos started talking to me on side channel "You there, on the town hall. I just want your friend's sh*t. Just run away and I wont shoot you." - yeah, right.

I didnt reply right away. I was buying time for me friend to respawn and come to his body again. So I waited some 3 minutes, and after no activity, I started to talk to the guy. I told him he was alive and had a Lee Enfield because of me, and that I wouldnt make that mistake again.

Then he entered running on the Town Hall. He was probably hoping that I was shoot and he would have time to get me, but I didnt shoot immediately. I pointed my Makarov at him and... theres was a FIREFIGHT!

Problem is: Im very good at Makarov Duels. I fought against 3 guys and killed two of them, and only died to the Third because I bandaged myself (what an idiot). But not only I didnt have any ammo for the crossbow, I had just one clip for the Makarov. So after exchanging 8 rounds with him, I had nothing to fight but bad words.

So I had to flee. He got me on the leg, I only had time to roll to the left and log out. After bandaging myself and going back, he was gone and my friends stuff was gone too. I stayed on the area and killed two survivors that I saw, but none of them was Temos. And my friend just didnt get there, so I shrugged and moved on. Both of us had a lot of good stuff, and the lesson that day was: no mercy. Kill everyone on sight.

2: Just two days ago, I got killed and respawned. I was in a hurry to get my bearings and run to my body, when I saw another survivor. I was in bandit skin. He kept pointing his gun at me and running around. I waited a few seconds, and after he didnt shoot me, I just assumed he was an annoying kid wanting company. I had to take some time to read the city plate so I knew where I was. While I was doing that, he saluted me, and I didnt consider him a threat.

I didnt pay attention to him and looked at the sign. I just heard the Makarov shot and my character died with a bullet on his head.

You see, I didnt kill him because I thought he wasnt a threat, so that would be a waste of ammo. Of course, I could get his ammo, and would profit from it, but I was just in a hurry. His strategie is to salute, and when the other person salutes, he probably just gets back from it first, them shoots them on the head. I also didnt shoot a bandit after a respawn, he let me run past him, and when he was on my back he also shot me on the head.

Now you know why I will shoot you on sight. For the sins of the sinners, everyone pays. And by the end of the day, I will feel a lot better killing you, even if you werent a threat, than if you were a threat and killed me.

And the beauty of this is: imagine youre living in the forest. Then you find someone. If the person is a threat, they will believe you are also a threat, and will kill you. Even when it made more sense to stay together and be stronger and have more resources this way. You know, two makarovs are better than one. But tell that to these guys.

So you either shoot everyone on sight, or if they didnt see you , let them go their way. I can risk not shooting someone when I had just respawned (like I did), but now even if I just respawned, at the minimum I will shoot to scare people away. Usually, I will shoot to kill.

Sometimes it pays not to fire at people, really =P

Was late at night and I walked into the back door of the Fire Station in Elektro, in the corner I saw a corpse (one with an AKS-Kobra, no less), so naturally I wanted to loot it. As I got close to the corpse, suddendly from the stairs this guy comes fumbling out of the dark, he also had a rifle of some sort, but it was too dark to see what.

I had an MP5 myself, on full auto.. I could have sprayed him, but instead, I looked at him, he looked at me.. and I started backing away, not having taken anything off the body.. once I get out the door, I sprint away to safety =P

A few minutes later I learn that the guy I bumped into had a buddy up in the tower, if I shot him, I'd have probably been screwed =p

So Unster, a girl broke your heart and now you hate all girls, eh?

Sure, sometimes you die from scum. But often you meet people in the middle of nowhere and do some trading, and afterwards both parties go their separate ways. Still 50/50 though....

So I had to flee. He got me on the leg, I only had time to roll to the left and log out.-rep for admiting hes a D/cer pussey

For your first story... I found it really odd that you gave away a weapon and put yourself at a disadvantage. I play cautiously friendly and will heal and feed a person but never give out a weapon. You were asking for it in the first story. Temos really didn't considered you a threat since you only had a makarov. I wouldn't.

This about sums up how I feel about the state of the game/community right now.

Sick and tierd of paranoid/dicks, who shot you on sight, so guess what you become one of them (unless they respond to direct channel).

I hate that it's going in this direction, but I'm about to have the same sentiment. I've only been playing two weeks or so and 80% of my deaths of come from other players. It's the same thing every single encounter...

I surprisingly run into someone will travelling... usually close quarters. I look at him and then point my weapon to the ground. I start typing because he hasn't shot yet, then he shoots me. I never have any weapons worth having so it's apparent it's simply out of paranoia but it's getting old.

However, I understand and don't hold it against them. After so many deaths in this manner, it's becoming more difficult to not just kill on sight. That's not the way I want to play but I feel like I have to. So far only one person (actually him and his buddy) haven't killed me. I saw he was bleeding and after chasing him around in circles for a bit, he let me patch him up.

I want to be passive.... even good.... but it's difficult to do so when I'm rewarded with a bullet in my head 9 times out of 10.

Totally agree. Used to help all, now rarely do. Generally my buddies shoot on sight but I don't unless they get near and all other forms of contact haven't worked. But the main issue for me are the lack of available forms of contact. I hate killing other survivors but feel I have no choice now. All I have to say now is c'est la vie.

I've never killed anyone who hasn't shot at me first, and i'll stick with that. If you are going to shoot me, you better hit me in the head.

I mostly play solo and get my enjoyment out of stalking survivors/other bandits. I guess I'd be an anti-bandit if bandit morphing was still in.

I'm usually a pretty aggressive nowadays, killing anyone who has a big back pack/nice primary...

However, when someone gives me a chance, I don't try to kill them.

For example, a few days ago, I was in the general store at stary sobor in my endless quest for a fucking ghillie suit... I was busy looting when I see a head poke out of one of the back rooms. He could have shot me on the spot, but he didn't. That's why I didn't follow him after he left:angel:

Kinda makes me feel bad that I would probably have shot him on the spot if we switched roles. And that's because I would rather not be caught dead because I hesitated. That guy at the store took a huge risk, but I think he was happy with his choice. Obviously he'd have been happier if he'd killed me and realized he had a +1 bandit kill count:D

I only had time to roll to the left and log out.

good job, you cheater

I only had time to roll to the left and log out.

good job' date=' you cheater

[/quote']

was about to post this myself

just always be in direct channel,

when you roll into a building shout "friendly coming in!"

if you get shot then at least you tried, if you dont try, then fuck it might as well kill everyone

just always be in direct channel' date='

when you roll into a building shout "friendly coming in!"

if you get shot then at least you tried, if you dont try, then fuck it might as well kill everyone

[/quote']

Yea but having found that direct chat dosnt work half the time and the other half is of people who dont respond leads to the assumption that said person is hostile and trying to get the jump on you.

I've always picked up ammo I didn't have a use for (when I have space) hoping I can possibly help somebody carrying that particular weapon. I'm starting to think that even if I do manage to not get shot on sight and try to lend a hand, I'd take those bullets in the back the second I turn around.

I'm starting to think that even if I do manage to not get shot on sight and try to lend a hand' date=' I'd take those bullets in the back the second I turn around.[/quote']

Don't.

I was out of ammo just last night when I heard shots outside. A guy killed off the last of my zeds, and I gave him my empty AK. He proceeded to give me three Mak clips. Now, I had ample opportunity to shoot him and take everything back, and more, but I chose not to.

It's not how I play, and not how a lot of people play. Give it time. The 'shoot first, ask questions later' crowd will eventually become the exception, rather than the rule.

Yea but having found that direct chat dosnt work half the time and the other half is of people who dont respond leads to the assumption that said person is hostile and trying to get the jump on you.

Since ArmA 2 beta build 93040' date=' direct chat has been fixed and works 100% of the time.

Give it time. The 'shoot first, ask questions later' crowd will eventually become the exception, rather than the rule.

I hope so. The current KoS mayhem is really ruining the survivor co-operation.

I hope so. The current KoS mayhem is really ruining the survivor co-operation.

Maybe you need to play on other servers' date=' or try avoiding those 'high risk' players? I'm not seeing anywhere close to anything I'd call [i']mayhem.

Mayhem.band.poster.jpg

+1 rep OP. I avoid all contact personally. But I fully understand why you do what you do. Fair game if you kill me on an outing. I wont hold any grudges.

Edit: and never mind. Didn't realize direct chat had been completely fixed.

Until direct voice channel works 100% of the time its likely the safest way to play.

It works now, providing you're using the latest Arma2 beta, which you are going to be forced to do when DayZ is updated to 1.7.1, anyway. (FYI, there are two separate, yet equally important threads that discuss each part of this. One was the 'communication' thread, and the other is the version update thread from Rocket.)

Give it time. The 'shoot first' date=' ask questions later' crowd will eventually become the exception, rather than the rule.[/quote']

I sure hope so. My short experience with the game has been mostly an exercise in frustration so far. Make progress, have a lot of fun, get 1 shot from unknown places and ruin it all. It's a good thing I'm stubborn.

As an ex-Eve Online player I learned quickly not to trust anyone, ever, at all. I now live by the idea of shoot first / ask questions later. Most of the time I survive because of this, sometimes I die.