dalgcais

Kidnapping/ Slave Trafficking/ Cannibalism?

One thing I've noticed about the Bandits on Day Z is that they aren't necessarily "evil". Sure, they might shoot you and your friends and steal your hard-earned loot, but what else should you expect in an apocalyptic wasteland!

After watching "The Road" last night, I got the idea to implement a system whereby bandits could kidnap and imprison other players - perhaps even cannibalise them (I know, gross!). The specific scene in the film that got me thinking was when the Father (Viggo Mortensen) and the Son (Kodi Smit-McPhee) find themselves in an old decrepit Mansion inhabited by a group of cannibalistic bandits. These bandits occupy their time hunting other survivors in the hope of imprisoning them in the Mansion's basement before cannibalising them.

Just imagine the fear of losing one of your group to these marauders! Would you simply allow them to take your friend, or would you hatch a daring plan to rescue him or her from the Bandit's lair? Perhaps you could even barter with the bandits for the safe release of your friend.

I personally believe that this would add a whole new depth of what it means to interact with other players in Day Z - terror being the operative feeling. No longer would the zombies be the only flesh-eaters to fear!

In order for this to work to it's fullest extent, I imagine a number of systems would have to be implemented:

- Tranquilizer Rifle (For Catching live survivors);

- Construction System (For building Bandit Forts and Cells - similar to Project Reality);

- A system for handcuffing or restraining survivors;

- A system for placing unconscious survivors in vehicles;

- **Maybe a new skin for cannibals? Muddy and blood covered?;

I think that this would give bandits more purpose beyond simply killing and looting. What do you think?

Sorry but I think that if people would want to RP these kind of things, they can in the current system. You could play it all out and get encased in barbwire for instance.. but if someone doesn't RP in this game, you shouldn't be able to force them into such situations.

Sorry but I think that if people would want to RP these kind of things' date=' they can in the current system. You could play it all out and get encased in barbwire for instance.. but if someone doesn't RP in this game, you shouldn't be able to force them into such situations.

[/quote']

If you've ever played ArmA mods like Sahrani Life or Zargabad Life, kidnappings are a very common aspect of the game.

Lone players were usually cornered by vehicles before being told at gunpoint to get into the vehicle. From there, negotiations were made with either the Police or other players for money.

The jailing system was used in Zargabad Life by the police. However, it would raise a point about how long a survivor could be imprisoned - certainly not indefinitely.

[EDIT] Isn't Day Z naturally a RP game? Being a multiplayer game with PVP elements, you're effectively going to be part of an RP experience, with bandits killing or looting you at whim depending on how they themselves want to play.

Something to allow players to capture other players I could see working. As in prevent them from shooting you.

If someone went to all that effort to capture me, I'd play along- who knows? I make even make it out alive. (Instead of killing you for your stuff)

It's certainly better than simply killing everyone anyways.

I mean, I don't want to die, but other players force me to sometimes. How is death preferable to captivity and life?

EDIT: Maybe eating dead people for emergency food too, but I dunno about slaves. I think that would be difficult to implement and not really worth the effort. Kidnapping would work fine with the addition of zipcuffs though.

I think restraining people should definitely be implemented, maybe zombies too? That way you can catch zombies, then feed other players to them :D

Something to allow players to capture other players I could see working. As in prevent them from shooting you.

If someone went to all that effort to capture me' date=' I'd play along- who knows? I make even make it out alive. (Instead of killing you for your stuff)

It's certainly better than simply killing everyone anyways.

I mean, I don't want to die, but other players force me to sometimes. How is death preferable to captivity and life?

EDIT: Maybe eating dead people for emergency food too, but I dunno about slaves. I think that would be difficult to implement and not really worth the effort. Kidnapping would work fine with the addition of zipcuffs though.

[/quote']

At the moment being looted by bandits pretty much means a bullet to the head and the end of your current character.

At least with kidnapping you have a chance of coming out the other end alive, either through bartering or a forceful rescue by your fellow teammates. Hell, it could even be exciting!

Many of the different aspects that I mentioned, such as zipcuffs and cells are already available in other ArmA mods, such as Zargabad Life and Project Reality, so shouldn't be too difficult to implement. They've been proven to work well within the confines of the game engine.

I think restraining people should definitely be implemented' date=' maybe zombies too? That way you can catch zombies, then feed other players to them :D

[/quote']

That would be hilarious!

Dal gCais' pid='81020' dateline='1338228775']

Sorry but I think that if people would want to RP these kind of things' date=' they can in the current system. You could play it all out and get encased in barbwire for instance.. but if someone doesn't RP in this game, you shouldn't be able to force them into such situations.

[/quote']

If you've ever played ArmA mods like Sahrani Life or Zargabad Life, kidnappings are a very common aspect of the game.

Lone players were usually cornered by vehicles before being told at gunpoint to get into the vehicle. From there, negotiations were made with either the Police or other players for money.

The jailing system was used in Zargabad Life by the police. However, it would raise a point about how long a survivor could be imprisoned - certainly not indefinitely.

[EDIT] Isn't Day Z naturally a RP game? Being a multiplayer game with PVP elements, you're effectively going to be part of an RP experience, with bandits killing or looting you at whim depending on how they themselves want to play.

Yes it is, but not everyone plays this with RP in mind as it is a survival game more then an RPG if you ask me.

If a bandit would hold me up and start to RP with me, I wouldn't mind and cooperate for the fun and the thrill, but I know from SecondLife that there are A LOT of people that have no clue how to roleplay nor do they have any interest in it.

Don't know, it could be nice, but then there should be a way to let others know if you want to be part of such events or not, else you might get a lot of people that won't play anymore because they can be literally trapped in this game for an hour or more while it not something they want due to playtime limitations or any other reason.

If you are captured in real life you don't have a choice, if people are captured in DayZ and don't want it, what keeps them from just logging out or respawning, destroying the entire experience?

put a handcuff? leg cuff?

i think a tranq round should be inplemented to give some player a choice of mercy stealing

Yes it is' date=' but not everyone plays this with RP in mind as it is a survival game more then an RPG if you ask me.

If a bandit would hold me up and start to RP with me, I wouldn't mind and cooperate for the fun and the thrill, but I know from SecondLife that there are A LOT of people that have no clue how to roleplay nor do they have any interest in it.

Don't know, it could be nice, but then there should be a way to let others know if you want to be part of such events or not, else you might get a lot of people that won't play anymore because they can be literally trapped in this game for an hour or more while it not something they want due to playtime limitations or any other reason.

If you are captured in real life you don't have a choice, if people are captured in DayZ and don't want it, what keeps them from just logging out or respawning, destroying the entire experience?

[/quote']

That's a valid point.

Regarding players simply aborting when they've been captured - What can I say? Not every kidnapping works out! :D

It also wouldn't be particularly unusual for Day Z players to abort a game when things get a little bit dangerous. People still continue to disconnect when they know they're surrounded by zombies and have no escape.

RPing is why this game looked so awesome from the beginning,.. watching all the youtube vids of robbings, and clan negotiations. I fully uptake any role and play it out (Tried being a ZED EXTERMINATOR but ended up just getting shot by bandits 3 times even though I had no valuable gear)..

RPing rarely or won't ever happen now in most games, it now is COD DAYZ OPS lol

That seems like a nice alternative to getting shot in my opinion. And if the player doesn't want to cooperate and does dc, he would get shot. I think rocket was saying somewhere that he's planing to implement system where you stay for some time after you abort the game, so if the game gave some indications that player has disconnected they could just shoot him.

Because ultimately the goal of dayz is to survive, and this would bring some more options to that - giving up.

One thing i don't see is why would the bandits be interested in imprisoning you? What's the gain for them besides the roleplay element?

That seems like a nice alternative to getting shot in my opinion. And if the player doesn't want to cooperate and does dc' date=' he would get shot. I think rocket was saying somewhere that he's planing to implement system where you stay for some time after you abort the game, so if the game gave some indications that player has disconnected they could just shoot him.

Because ultimately the goal of dayz is to survive, and this would bring some more options to that - giving up.

One thing i don't see is why would the bandits be interested in imprisoning you? What's the gain for them besides the roleplay element?

[/quote']

Rocket's suggestion would be brilliant, and it would certainly lend itself to kidnapping! If the survivor decides to simply log out, his body would remain for the kidnappers to simply shoot and loot!

At least it would give survivors an incentive to continue with the kidnapping, as they would at least have a chance of survival. - Or they could simply be eaten! :D

Dal gCais' pid='81580' dateline='1338236259']

That seems like a nice alternative to getting shot in my opinion. And if the player doesn't want to cooperate and does dc' date=' he would get shot. I think rocket was saying somewhere that he's planing to implement system where you stay for some time after you abort the game, so if the game gave some indications that player has disconnected they could just shoot him.

[/quote']

Rocket's suggestion would be brilliant, and it would certainly lend itself to kidnapping! If the survivor decides to simply log out, his body would remain for the kidnappers to simply shoot and loot!

At least it would give survivors an incentive to continue with the kidnapping, as they would at least have a chance of survival. - Or they could simply be eaten! :D

And we are back on forced roleplay.

If the body stays behind and you shoot it because someone doesn't want to RP, they are effectively punished.

I like the Cannibalism part.

Food alternative - but with chance of catching infection from the meat.

If the body stays behind and you shoot it because someone doesn't want to RP' date=' they are effectively punished.

[/quote']

How exactly are they punished?

Any other bandit would simply shoot them in the head and steal their loot.

With a kidnapping system there is actually a choice for the survivor.

A) Leave during the kidnapping. Your body remains in stasis and the bandits simply shoot you and steal your loot. You must admit, it's not too different from vanilla Day Z. Hell, they might even leave you be if they're committed RP'ers.

B) Continue the kidnapping scenario and quite possibly emerge alive at the end of the ordeal.

By coming into contact with a bandit you're pretty much putting yourself in the firing line - risking both your life and your equipment. Even if they're kidnappers, you'll still put up a fight. However, if you lose against kidnappers, you have the choice to continue with the scenario or die in a typical fashion.

Nobody is being forced to do anything. In fact, I would argue that you would be given the chance to explore a different facet of the Day Z experience.

Cannibalism should be impletended and it should give a new skin.

Perhaps also add a new system for "sanity" , the more you eat human flesh the more you get crazy = new skin.

Stealing should also be implented , imagine , there's a lone wolf going down the street and getting himself hold at gunpoint , the bandit could loot him without killing him , leaving him to the wild and zeds.

This would satisfie everyone even those who don't want to RP.

Dal gCais' pid='81580' dateline='1338236259']

[/quote']

If the body stays behind and you shoot it because someone doesn't want to RP, they are effectively punished.

Gni???

Without this brilliant idea you're just shot on sight. Now, only roleplay players are punished. If this option exists maybe you won't die. For now... you will die period.

And without going that far with kidnapping, incapacitant weaponry would be great... when you feel in danger, you can incapacitate someone without killing him (and you can even loot him if you want)

Cannibalism should be impletended and it should give a new skin.

Perhaps also add a new system for "sanity" ' date=' the more you eat human flesh the more you get crazy = new skin.

Stealing should also be implented , imagine , there's a lone wolf going down the street and getting himself hold at gunpoint , the bandit could loot him without killing him , leaving him to the wild and zeds.

This would satisfie everyone even those who don't want to RP.

[/quote']

Great suggestion!

I feel with Day Z that murder is the only effective tool for looting Bandits. Some of us don't want to murder other players, but we would still like to perhaps coerce them a little bit and steal some loot ;)

In some Apocalyptic films, the protagonist may be forced to steal loot from another character. However, they often achieve this without having to resort to murder.

The ability to incapacitate or threaten someone in the game would really help the players who want to maintain some semblance of their humanity!

I remember in Book of Eli, the old family who ate humans, had the shakes.

could happen to you too in DayZ

I really like the idea of restraining players.

bandits could hit you with rubber bullets, tie you up and set you in a town shoot a round off and run away.. Let the zombies eat you alive!

only problem with this is.. What's keeping people from disc. I know I want, I like the dynamics of letting events take it's toll. but some people will.

Dal gCais' pid='81636' dateline='1338236928']

They are punished because their only real choice is "Roleplay with us or get killed and lose everything".

Any other bandit would simply shoot them in the head and steal their loot.

Getting to that further on.

With a kidnapping system there is actually a choice for the survivor.

A) Leave during the kidnapping. Your body remains in stasis and the bandits simply shoot you and steal your loot. You must admit' date=' it's not too different from vanilla Day Z. Hell, they might even leave you be if they're committed RP'ers.

[/quote']

As you already state... people that are avid RP players would stand more chance to get out then people that have no clue how to RP, how is that not a punishment? You go from the idea that everyone should play this as an RPG and that doesn't make sense.

By coming into contact with a bandit you're pretty much putting yourself in the firing line - risking both your life and your equipment. Even if they're kidnappers' date=' you'll still put up a fight. However, if you lose against kidnappers, you have the [i']choice to continue with the scenario or die in a typical fashion.

Look don't get me wrong, I don't mind the RP in the game and I've seen some good plays and all, but when it comes to binding people etc without choice, it goes to far. If they pass out and you can just tie them up (while they can't do anything.. even talk!) then the choice is 100% gone and they're forced to deal with it even if its against their playstyle/choice.

At this point in the game you can approach anyone with the intention of roleplaying and from their reaction you will see instantly if they want to or not. Isn't that enough?

Nobody is being forced to do anything. In fact' date=' I would argue that you would be given the chance to explore a different facet of the Day Z experience.

[/quote']

The only positive outcome for them would be to RP in the hope they can stay alive with some gear instead of having to start over, so anything else would indirectly be punishment.

[...] Gni???

Without this brilliant idea you're just shot on sight. Now' date=' only roleplay players are punished. If this option exists maybe you won't die. For now... you will die period.

[/quote']

Actually, not really. Seen plenty of roleplay already. Would help if direct com was properly fixed though, makes it a lot easier to do.

And without going that far with kidnapping' date=' incapacitant weaponry would be great... when you feel in danger, you can incapacitate someone without killing him (and you can even loot him if you want)

[/quote']

I think non-lethal weapons would be a very nice addition to dayz.

They are forced to nothing... If they don't want to RP they just have to respawn.. and yes, die.

But they would be dead earlier without that option.

They are forced to nothing... If they don't want to RP they just have to respawn.. and yes' date=' die.

But they would be dead earlier without that option.

[/quote']

Depends on the players. Now it just sounds like "roleplay or die".

Anyways, gave my opinion and you guys have yours.

Don't have to agree, but no sense to keep debating other visions between a few without additional information of other players.

Hope to see more people reply so that there will be a general idea of how popular this could become, just stated the risks that I see.

They are punished because their only real choice is "Roleplay with us or get killed and lose everything".

I'm not exactly sure what side you are taking, I didn't read the entire forum

But I would like to say, "us" being DayZ community, they chose to Roleplay with us when they joined the server. since Dayz is a role-playing game ;)

I'm not exactly sure what side you are taking' date=' I didn't read the entire forum

But I would like to say, "us" being DayZ community, they chose to Roleplay with us when they joined the server. since Dayz is a role-playing game ;)

[/quote']

Not taking a side, it's just that I play both sides in DayZ.

In my opinion DayZ is a survival game, not an RPG, just has RPG elements.

I would roleplay with people if they would approach me with it, but until then, I'm just trying to survive as long as I can while playing as much solo as I can, since I prefer to be alone in real life aswell.