echosyp

1st person only, waypoints, what more?

no, if you have a person standing behind you shoulder IRL or are standing on a player IRL you would feel, or see or know about it, 3dp gives you that feeling IMO, double tapping - gives you the shittest distorted image.

i dont see why people complain about 3dp, dont like it? play on a aserver with it disabled, pretty fucking simple

If you want to see someone behind you use free look, again, you're trying to use 3rd person to do something something else in the game already does. You just want to keep it so you can exploit it to make the game easier for you.

That argument doesn't work when every server is connected.

If there's an option to make a game easier, and you aren't utilizing it on your server, then they won't use that server. The same reason a lot of people don't play night servers, it's easier during the day. Anyways, I'm hoping in the standalone it's locked to first person. Makes the game a lot more intense.

I have to disagree, there. I find night servers, after the initial shock, are actually much easier. Perhaps that's because I don't go out of my way to hunt players, and nighttime really nerfs zombies more than players.

That said, I think think 3rd person does detract from the survivalist nature of the game, and I wouldn't complain if it were removed.

Edited by louist
  • Like 1

if 3dp is enabled, the field is level because everyone can use it, if you dont want to... congratualtions, dont cry about it, join a sever with it disabled.. how is my argument invalid?

• Like 2

there are so many options in this game, i dont see why people constantly complain about them when they can easily avoid them by simply not being retarded?

• Like 1

I enjoy 3DP but also would not care to see it removed completely. Yes the headbob thing is retarded but once you turn that all the way down its fun to be in 1st person. I have to check out the FoV thing.

Sounds like u have a good server, I may check it out if my internet every fixes itself :( 500+ ping makes it hard to play.

I have to disagree, there. I find night servers, after the initial shock, are actually much easier. Perhaps that's because I don't go out of my way to hunt players, and nighttime really nerfs zombies more than players.

That said, I think think 3rd person does detract from the survivalist nature of the game, and I wouldn't complain if it were removed.

Notice I said "a lot." I'm sure there are plenty of people like yourself who disagree, but generally without changing around settings and wearing NVG's, the average player hates night, hence empty servers. That's proof enough.

Ya I never got that. I know its hard to see in the middle of a forest but in a city its not that hard. Plus the zombies go deaf dumb and stupid at night.

Keep crosshairs off, they're incredibly over powered. 3rd person is ok for traveling but it's cheap when it comes to fire fights. The server I play on is 1st person only and no crosshairs or names, so much more intense.

I'm curious as to why people want waypoints? It takes a lot out of the navigation aspect

because not everyone can actually use a map properly? i totally understand the need for waypoints (insert easy range finder exploit here)

if 3dp is enabled, the field is level because everyone can use it

Just because everyone can use it does not make the field level. 3DP gives defenders/campers a huge advantage. As already noted they can gather intel on anyone approaching their position with no risk of detection or harm. A player approaching their position gets no benefit from 3DP and is, in fact penalized due to the inaccurate crosshairs. In a game like ARMA where the outcome of an evenly matched battle is often determined by who fires first that's not a trade-off I'm willing to make.

I can understand why snipers like 3DP but I honestly don't understand why anyone else would willing expose themselves to that level of risk.

• Like 1

3rd person, really ? Go play My Little Ponies.

Real survivors play with zero help. You can check corners with lean. You can find your way with basic map reading skills. And so on.

I really hope that the stand alone will chase that kind of "I'm too lazy to get better" behavior.

• Like 1

Personally, if first person didn't completely suck I would probably prefer it too. I usually hate 3rd person in games and I'm just naturally used to using first person in shooters. I've turned off the head bob, which helps, but I still can't stand it.. Fells like you are 3 inches tall. Will messing the FoV fix this, because if not, I don't really care what changes it makes. I will never use midget mode.

Also LOL @ the person saying 3rd person is exploiting.

So my server is about 2 weeks old and we have went from 3rd person to 1st person only server, veteran, with waypoints enabled. Players have completely stopped coming. Is 3rd person that big of a deal on a FPS game? I have admins on just about 24/7 to help keep watch over the server, we don't reset when we lose a vehicle or get our tents raided. Most vehicles are still laying around the place waiting to be taken.

So I ask you all, what makes you want to come to a server and stay on it? I need to find a way to keep some players or just quit paying for the server all together.

Considering this game isn't a FPS, yes, third person is important and many people prefer to play with that view. I'd personally like the option to turn off first person view just to annoy those that wish to annoy others.

3rd person ON, crosshairs OFF, Veteran, is how I prefer to play.

Sounds like they need to turn headbob off. One of the dumbest things ever put into games and completely unrealistic.

But that's easy mode. Anyone playing with head bobbing off or even turned down is obviously a terrible player that isn't confident in their skillz. Same goes for anyone who can't run the game at it's highest settings. Any setting under high is overpowered and these players should be banned. (sarcasm not entirely directed at you)

If there's an option to make a game easier, and you aren't utilizing it on your server, then they won't use that server. The same reason a lot of people don't play night servers, it's easier during the day. Anyways, I'm hoping in the standalone it's locked to first person. Makes the game a lot more intense.

That's a good way to gut the player base. If you can't figure out how to use third person then don't hate on those that can. I'd rather not experience this game with an enormous set of blinders on my head.

• Like 3

no 3RD person, no play..

i dont PVP, but i also dont really care if other people dont like 3RD person.. its there as an option, and i'll use it ...

the game is simply more enjoyable in 3rd person..and i play game for the enjoyment

• Like 2

because not everyone can actually use a map properly? i totally understand the need for waypoints (insert easy range finder exploit here)

Because it's quicker in a time consuming game. After you play long enough you don't even need a map so what's the big deal. Don't like it then don't use it.

alot of people are put off by servers that don't allow 3rd person, personally I don't mind so long as there's no crosshairs or nametags.

If you want more people on your server, enabling third person would be a good idea.

I don't play on servers with 3rd person disabled because the 1st person system in Arma is shit to use for pretty much everything apart from shooting and a few other things. But the majority of the time you aren't shooting, you're running or sneaking around which is much smoother in 3rd person.

That's a good way to gut the player base. If you can't figure out how to use third person then don't hate on those that can. I'd rather not experience this game with an enormous set of blinders on my head.

I don't recall saying that I can't figure out third person, nor do I remember saying I hate third person. I use third person, because why wouldn't I? In case you didn't actually read it, I said that if a feature is in a game that makes the experience easier for someone, and your server doesn't use it, then they won't visit the server. It wasn't even a long post, I don't understand how you could misunderstand it that much.

Edited by Brudagon

If there were a way to have waypoints only work if you had a GPS, that would be fine by me. What GPS units don't do waypoints?

The head-bob thing really is irritating on long treks. For some reason it never turns off when I switch it manually - can servers force head bob in settings?

If I had 3 screen-spanning monitors, I'd love 1st person and swear by it. The current 3rd person is too much though, and the 1st person view eliminates my peripheral vision, and just feels fake in my opinion. If there were some middle ground setting, I think it's doable.

Crosshairs should be eliminated, and nametags should only work if you are closer than 5m and have a direct LOS.

I completely understand that a 3dp alteration and a change in nametag behavior is impossible in the current environment; I'm just thinking about the standalone.

Edited by Chambers

How do you guys manage to prone while in 1st person ?.. all I can see is the grass...

Edited by pyrho

You guys have to remember that this is a simulator, it's not super, mega realistic but it keeps to the basics really well.

Personally, I prefer 1st person only servers and I will admit that it does take a wee while to get used to but once you're used to it, it's great.

How do you guys manage to prone while in 1st person ?.. all I can see is the grass...

And exactly the reason I prefer 3rd person. Laying in grass should be an advantage not a disadvantage. Being an avid bird/duck hunter first person and laying in grass in this game is completely unrealistic. Even when the grass is a couple of feet tall you can always peek over it pretty easily which is something you can not do in this game. Grass that only seems inches tall in this game completely hinders your view as if your eyeballs have fallen out of their sockets and are literally laying on the ground.

Edited by LunaTiK
  • Like 2